Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Favourite Run?

Poster: A snowHead
What is your favourite run? Doesn't have to be the most difficult, just the one which left the biggest smile on your face Very Happy Mine are...

1. Combe Vallon, Meribel
2. Tortin, Verbier
3. Black run from Le Chalvet, Montgenevre
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My favourite is the red down into Grau Roig that goes past the frozen lake thingey - top cafe there too
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Assuming we're talking marked runs, I'd recommend the following for scenic beauty:

1. Rothorn-Kumme-Patrularve, Zermatt
2. Vorab glacier-Alp Ruschein, Flims Laax
3. Aiguille Rouge-Vallaroger, Les Arcs
4. Eigergletscher, Wengen
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sam's is from Kleine Scheidegg down to Brandegg (Grindelwald) doing the kids quiz, closely followed by the blue Les Brevieres in Tignes, past the icicles in the road tunnel.

Adam's is Grand Pre at Val d'Isere for the jumps, followed by the Lauberhorn race track.

I think that mine is the run down to Samnaun from Ischgl, followed by Col de Ves in Tignes.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The blue run down to the Klausen Gondola near Kirchberg, my first ever experience of skiiing down to village level. Cool
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Probably no one will have heard of mine. They're mostly in obscure, small, out of the way little resorts, treasures of finds on the right day, in the right snow, with genuinely pleasant lifties to greet you at the bottom, overjoyed that someone is actually skiing there. I've yet to have the same 'feeling' in a single big ski station, to be honest...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PG, small stations are excellent, a couple of years back we were skiing at Mieders in the Stubaital and on arriving at the top we set off down a narrow run. Just as we set off a guy on a 'board appeared and cut past us then tore off which seemed rude as he was the only other person we saw. When we arrived at the next lift, a drag, he was just riding it up and when we got to the top was stood waiting. At this point he turned the lift off, asked us which way we were going and set off to turn the next drag on Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
In no particular order...
7th Heaven, Whistler
Vasquez Cirque, Winter Park
and any of them in Catherine's Area, Alta
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ise, Exactly! I was in a tiny resort in the Vercors once, and precisely the same thing happened. I was the only one in the entire place skiing and using the lifts. Bliss.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
PG, I find it a bit creepy if there is no one else around! I like moments of silence, but not whole mountains to myself.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'd concur with the Aiguille Rouge in Les Arcs; la Sarenne in Alpe d'Huez; la Saches in Tignes (from l'Aiguille Perchee down to Tignes le Breviet) - though the off-piste bit is easier and more fun; les Cascades in Flaine (to Sixt) - just to throw in an easy blue.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I change my mind every trip!! Plus I can never remember what they're called.....
My favourite runs from my last trip are on this piste map http://www.lesorres.com/sources/hiver/FR/plan.asp

The furthest left red run "Myrtilles" was my favourite. The black which goes from the same point is also quite good - "Ecureuil". (Click to zoom in) Don't think I saw more than about 2 other peeps doing either run the whole time we were there!

snowHead snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
1. Anywhere through tree-trails, but particularly Madonna di Campiglio; Very Happy
2. Zermatt - don't know the trail name, but it is a long intermediate run just under the Matterhorn when the sun casts a big shodow on the piste in the afternoon and you eerily ski through this shadow for a long time;
3. Zell am Ski - the black run down from Breiteckalm in Zell an Zee because it was my first black run in 1996 - took ages but an achievement at the end!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
3 favourite blues.

1. Maierl III at Kitzbuhel. Just steep enough to be fun, flat bits to get your breath/control back.

2. Edelweiss at Val D. Goes down in a series of steps. Ends in a natural half-pipe which you can do stall-turns in.

3. Folyeres at La Tania. Super swoosh through trees. Stopping for breath optional.

4. Pluviometre at Val Thorens. A real long run that has reddish bits. Gets you down to the town in a most entertaining way.

Oh, that's 4.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
joseph, I think I did that run in Zell the other day. Admitedly I'd had a drink at the top to give me the energy to walk up a couple of peaks after the lifts had closed, but by the time I got to the bottom of that run, a lot of it was either grass or mud, only leaving a piece about 6ft wide to ski down. It was fun on tired legs!
ski holidays
Favorite Blue, the run from Kline Schidegg to Brandegg (and a stop there for apple fritters) very nice tree lined route with few people on it and some great views between the trees

Favorite Red, Lauberhorn to Innerwengen (blue in places) about 30 mins after the morning sun has come up, great views terific skiing and not as many people as 1 hour later when the whole mountain can be packed !
latest report
Double M in Tignes. Not a very good name admittedly and its hardly the prettiest run around, but its got everything a piste should have.
Its quite long, a couple of steep narrow sections, rollers, plentifull off piste just to the side, and at the end opens out to about fifty meters wide with a perfect pitch for some super G turns... Provided its empty of course.
snow conditions
MarkP - is Double M the one that goes down to Val Claret from the Grand Motte?
If so - yes - one of my favourites too!

Also - Tortin - Verbier
Col De Gentianes - Verbier ( I think thats the name - it goes from the glacier to the bottom of Tortin)
7th Heaven in Whistler

I'm so bad at ski run names though - always forgetting them!
snow report
Les Arcs-Aguille Rouge (although I was scared at the top).
La Plagne-Vega
Serre Chevalier-Cucumelle
snow report
When the snow is really good the freeride run from Gimmelen to Gimmelwald in Mürren.
snow conditions
Everything I skied in Avoriaz in Feb 2003. Temp was typically -10 to -20 degs C and save for day 1 and day 7 (which were sunny) it snowed heavily ALL week with about 8 " to a foot of new ultra light powder snow every day.
Piste skiing if you can call it that was sublime with snow often at knee height and off piste the snow was often bursting over head height at times. Best trip I've ever had. The Wall into Switzerland made for some excellent sport on day 7.
snow conditions
Catriona, Yes thats the one. There's a couple of slightly different routes you can take though. The best one incorporates Grand Plan at the top. Which also leads to some easily accesible intermediate off piste on skiers left, only just out of sight of the les Lanches chair.
snow conditions
Les Arcs: Grand Col, Aigulle Rouge and Vagere
snow conditions
TKS for reminding me of Cucumelle in Serre Che, Helen. A super long red.
In La Plagne, I've also enjoyed the Borsellier red on the Champagny side. Especially in the mornings when you can often ski straight to the lift barriers and zonk back up on the 6 pack chair to repeat the fun.
snow report
The Karp in Sinaia, Romania.

Superb views. Skiable for upper intermediates, but best avoided by anyone below advanced if the snow's bad.

(Remember to turn right at the end of the hardest, steepest, most mogulled part of the run. Else a small ravine awaits).
snow report
Good stuff, keep 'em coming.
ski holidays
Theres no beating farside/wildside at Sunshine village. Or the ER gullies - Lake Louise. I guess if you're in the area on a good day, The Gunrun at Norquay too...

So many more "un-named" ones that would make ya smile! Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Kuwait - Ian - you've reminded me of last year's favourite run - but I didn't have time to go and find a piste map and work out the name! Great restaurant at the bottom of it!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mountian Mad - Pleased to have jogged your memory cells.
The smaller restaurant to the right at the top of the Borselliers chair and near the bottom of La Rossa collection of blue runs is also nice and has a super terrace with a panoramic map of the view over Courchevel and the surroundings. Cool
snow report
1) The red run in Laguozoi (or however it is spelt) in the Dolomites.

Ski down past beautiful frozen waterfalls.

Then get dragged back along the flat to civilization. A nice little earner set up by some chancers with a few horses and some very long ropes.

2) Spanky's ladder in Blackcomb. As much for the climb up to the entrance and the notices about 'no lifts back up for miles' as for the run itself.
snow report
kuwait_ian, I went in there last year. Soon came back out again because the prices were far more expensive than anywhere else in la Plagne. Sad They must have realised the view was pretty damn good.
On a different note I'm compiling a list of must do runs in les Arcs for next week.
So far.
Malgovert, Comborciere, Bois de lours, Aguille Rouge, Robert Blanc, Grand Col and Vagere. All from this list.
Any others?
latest report
markP, I went down the Fond Blanc (from Arpettes) past the snowpark the other day, and it just about killed me. rock-hard moguls topped with a little slush at the time. But a great run (black) in the right conditions. Higher up (you mention the Grand Col) is the 'Refuge' (black). As 'mogully' as the Fond Blanc, but in better shape, much higher. Still I wasn't too fit that day, and others were negotiating the Fond Blanc with little problems, so let's face it - the experts won't have any difficulty. Are you expert, MarkP??!

The Lanches and the Dou de l'Homme are pretty challenging too (you can see them from the Varet eggs, either side of the flying K run.)
latest report
Hmm, not an expert no... Wink
Stupid enough to throw myself down most things though...
ski holidays
The whole of Sunshine Village was engulfed in cloud and snow, which forced 95% of people inside, including my wife and I. We decided on a long lunch, a couple of beers and a bottle of red. Got to around 3 o'clock and we decided to ski down to the bottom. Half way down the ski out run is the chair lift up Goats Eye mountain which had been closed due to the weather. I saw that it was running. We took a chance and jumped on, to our delight, the whole of Goats Eye was in a break in the weather, the two of us and the "liftie" seemed to be the only ones that were aware of this. Bright blue sky, champagne powder on the piste up to our boot tops. There was no one else on our own personal mountain for an hour as we skied up and down, until we drowned in a sea of latic acid and had to stop. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy It was also three days after we got married, so having your own uninhabited mountain is very handy Wink

What a great day Very Happy
latest report
SOunds wonderful Ken !! Smile
snow report
Ventina (Run 7) at Cervinia. Starts with a view of Monte Bianco and is reasonably long. But mainly because it's just so much fun.
ski holidays
It has got to be the black from Aigulle Rouge to Villaroger.
It's got it all-steep at start, then wide open piste, then tree run, then rustic restaurant at bottom. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Bend Zinees, Smile True, it's got a lot going for it.... but as one of the 'favourites' it's often pretty busy, holiday times especially. Mid-week though, after a poor forecast, when you wake up and see the sun shining.... I've taken the funicular up with the lifties a couple of times, then the shuttle to 2000, and was one of the first to go down. Now that's something!
latest report
PG,
Yup I'd get out of bed very early for that experience!
snow report
For an old timer like me I recommend the Piste del'Ours (Bear Run) at Veysonnaz above Sion Switzerland on the Verbier circuit. I believe Chemmy Allcott had a fair result in a super G here this year. It is an enormously wide tree lined red which can get a bit icy. Two years ago our daughter took it too fast and ended up with a dislocated shoulder and an expensive chopper ride to the local hospital. If you ever go to Verbier, the run is worth the long trek, but start your return early as it is about 7 lifts back to Les Attelas
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy