Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving around French ski areas, diesel additive

Poster: A snowHead
Hi
Im just about to embark on a 6 week trip round the alps. We are driving out there so I wondered if anyone can tell me if French diesel has the COLD WEATHER ADDITIVE already in it or should I be thinking of buying it separately? Ive never thought using it before but as the car will probably be parked outside and used only once a week when we switch resorts, I thought it would be a good idea to get sorted.
Any ideas please?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
deejaybee, as long as you buy it in or close to the mountains it will have additive in. Depends how cold it gets how effective it is. It is usually good to -20 . Make sure you get close with an almost empty tank and fill it up.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
For the first time, filling up in Albertville last week, I noticed that the "ordinary" diesel was rated to minus 15 and the more expensive "superdiesel" to minus 20.

At the moment there doesn't look like being much chance of weather cold enough to cause problems to diesel tanks kept well topped up with fuel bought locally. Have a good trip, deejaybee snowHead

Remember, if it's snowy and cold, not to leave your handbrake on (assuming you have the bog standard old fashioned cable type).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
and pull your wipers away from the windscreen too.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Don't use supermarket diesel but fill up with Excellium in a Total garage close to the mountains. The supermarket's sometimes economize on the antifreeze in their diesel, as was the case a couple of years ago when cars were freezing up at -10C.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w, b****r, remembered the diesel and wipers and forgot the handbrake. Sad
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks everyone you've been a great help , I've posted another question about Geneva airport ! Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w,
Quote:

Remember, if it's snowy and cold, not to leave your handbrake on (assuming you have the bog standard old fashioned cable type).

Why? I have always parked at 1600 with the handbrake on (and just filled up with pump diesel) in snow and cold down to under -20 and never had a problem on either count. The biggest problem has always been just digging out.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.

Yep, digging out this one took a while.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We normally find that the battery dies in the cold before other problems such as fuel freeze and handbrake surface...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
johnE, you've been fortunate. Whether a handbrake cable causes problems depends on how much gunge it's collected - if you drive on snowy messy roads a fair bit, with stuff being chucked up under the car (the sort of conditions where the entire wheel arch is full of dirty snow) and then it freezes, it can be a real pain. I found out the hard way and was put right by the local garage bloke, who sorted it out for me (it was making such a terrible noise that people were looking round to see what was happening, as I drove past. Embarassed

But if a car arrives somewhere clean underneath, and is then parked for a while, the handbrake cable is unlikely to cause problems even the car is buried in a couple of metres of fresh snow.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

remembered the diesel and wipers and forgot the handbrake

welshskier, Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I always just filled up in the Carrefour nearest my house, because it was cheap, and was fine down to below -30C. Maybe I got lucky!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mr Pieholeo wrote:
I always just filled up in the Carrefour nearest my house, because it was cheap, and was fine down to below -30C. Maybe I got lucky!

I think you were lucky, 2 years ago I filled up at Carrafour rather than my usual Total garage. Temperature dropped to -30 and it was still -24 on the morning we left. I had to crank the engine for a good 5 mins to get it to start (with jumper cables as well), I have never had a problem before and I'm sure it was down to the supermarket fuel.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mr Pieholeo, I generally use supermarket fuel too.... the closest I am likely to come to living dangerously. wink
snow report
We were staying in an apartment run by a transfer company a few years ago when there were problems with the winter diesel. We were asked to take out some additive for them as local supplies had run out and they had already had fuel filters replaced on their minibuses, because of that I always put in additive during our week. A litre of additive costs me £10 and I put 175ml into a tank. What price peace of mind?.
ski holidays
Why do people lift the wipers up?
snow conditions
Jenniper, stops them freezing to the windscreen and ripping the rubber.
ski holidays
They will freeze to the screen otherwise. Danger of completely buggering them or worse still the wiper motor if you turn the wipers on or if they were on when you parked the car.
latest report
Claude B, or they are on 'automatic'.
snow report
Hells Bells, During our travels we will be heading for Serre Chevalier but it will be the French half term (22 Feb). Is there an area just outside Briancon or the Serre Che villages where I could find a (cheaper) studio to rent ? We are driving so we don't need to be in the centre of the resorts. Cost is our main concern here and the half term prices are hefty!
snow conditions
deejaybee, Briancon is usually the cheapest place for accommodation. Le Lauzet, Le Casset and Les GUibertes are some of the smaller Monetier villages that may have something as they don't have direct ski access.
snow report
Here is a previous thread regarding additive.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=86460&highlight=
snow report
Here is a previous thread regarding additive.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=86460&highlight=
snow report
deejaybee, have you looked on the tourist office website? http://www.serrechevalier-reservation.com/en/index-locations.htm?reset=1#listing
snow conditions
Hells Bells, Thanks very much, will do. And thanks Basil, re the additives
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy