Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice re. Skins Please

Poster: A snowHead
Went ski touring at Cairngorm yesterday. Quite limited in terms of snow, but what there is is excellent. The ski area was closed (wind) so we had the place to ourselves and had a great day.

Anyway, Mrs MA and I have ex-hire skis and skins, which we've had for about a year snd used for approx. 10 days skinning. The skins had been super-sticky so far but we had a bit of trouble yesterday. The snow wasn't particularly wet, but by the end of the day the skins were lifting off the skis and flapping about a bit.

This may be a fairly new to touring numpty question wink but, might that be because we had the skins off and on about four times in the day? Or might it be time for a re-glue?

Cheers!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Keep 'em dry.

In mild conditions that's really difficult. Before you take 'em off, try to brush off any remaining snow and sqeeze out any water in the plush with a pole. When you put 'em back on again, dry the skis with a spare cloth.

I assume/hope you've got backing sheets and are not folding them sticky side to sticky side and have clips at both ends.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sounds like it may well be a water problem - now that you're home and the ski bases are nice and dry (and you have had your skins hanging up to dry as well haven't you Toofy Grin ) why not try putting them on and see how well they stick?
On the other hand why not do a re-glue as well? Always good for a laugh.
Nik Wax sell a "skin waterproofing" product but I've not tried it.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Unlikely to need re-glue if they started OK at the beginning of the day. Almost certainly you got the glue side a bit wet - very easy to do if you are taking on and off a few times. I assume you are wiping the base of the ski dry if there is any moisture on it before applying the skins? And as Yoda said, you need to dry your skins after use (take them off the backing and hang them up).
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Skin wax, not needed often but with wet days its essential equipment.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
mountainaddict wrote:
This may be a fairly new to touring numpty question wink but, might that be because we had the skins off and on about four times in the day? Or might it be time for a re-glue?

Did you put the skins inside your jacket between the skinning sessions to keep them warm?

Quote:
Tips & Warnings - Store your skins inside your jacket when skiing. The warmth from your body keeps the skins flexible and the glue tacky.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5631763_apply-telemark-alpine-touring-skis.html

more useful tips here .....
http://www.alpine-guides.com/skiing/advice/hot-waxing-skins.htm
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cheers to all. In answer to the points raised:

Yes, we kept the skins warm/as dry as poss & kept wiping the ski bases - but the skins may well have got a bit damp by the last application, when it was snowing heavily.

We do have the cheat sheets & the skins do affix at tip & tail.

And finally, the skins have been hanging up to dry overnight - so I'll try re-sticking them a bit later.

From all of your very helpful advice I'm hopeful that we won't need to re-glue - thanks again.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mountainaddict,

What I didn't appreciate in my early days of touring was that the skins need to be left to dry without the backing sheets on so that booth sides dry out. Embarassed

I reglued a set of skins last year, next time I will probably pay someone else to do it or replace the skins with better quality ones.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 10-04-12 16:17; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I reglued a set of skins last year, next time I will probably pay someone else to do it

Laughing

My new skins have this Colltex CT40 stuff on them - with a big warning label "do not put the glue sides together". That's going to be fun in a high wind rolling eyes
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yoda,

Yes, real fun.

snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mountainaddict wrote:

We do have the cheat sheets & the skins do affix at tip & tail.

I just started using skins with cheat sheets this season, fine on a nice day but I can't see them lasting many days of typical Scottish mountain wind! These new Montana skins also came with a pair of silky sock-like things which I think you put your arm in and then stick the skins to when removing, but I've yet to try. Anyone use those?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
balernoStu, Colltex call them "Pro Skins" and I've been trying to find a source for them for the past few months. Even in Switzerland the shops hadn't heard of them rolling eyes

Canadian guide John Hogg (works in Switzerland mostly) uses them and likes them.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
"Skin Socks" - I've seen offpisteskiing use them until he melted glue all over them by leaving them with skins too near a heater! I'm not sure he uses them any more.

Ordinary backing sheets can be useful in a crowded refuge where unfettered skins on the drying rack above the stove inevitably end up stuck to each other.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
These?

"Montana Skinny"

http://www.ski-service.com/Produkte/Climbingskins/Care/tabid/1488/Default.aspx

http://www.eiselinsport.ch/shop/produktliste/einzelansicht/categories/felle-fellzubehoer/products/montana-skinny.html

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 10-04-12 17:51; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yoda, I found somewhere selling them online a few weeks ago and now I can't remember where. Gah!
Offpisteskiing used to use them and they looked convenient to me, esp if the wind is blowing. May not appeal to gram counters though
latest report
DB wrote:
These?

"Montana Skinny"

http://www.ski-service.com/Produkte/Climbingskins/Care/tabid/1488/Default.aspx

http://www.eiselinsport.ch/shop/produktliste/einzelansicht/categories/felle-fellzubehoer/products/montana-skinny.html

Yes, that's the ones.
ski holidays
Quote:
Bit later , but might be helpful also for others. I've been using "intelligent HIDE bag" for storing my skins for 2 years and it works 100% http://www.splitboards.eu/home-page-products/skinny-der-intelligente-fellsack.html. The only thing is I didn't spend for it 29 euros, but made it at home. Went to the shop and bought the cheapest jogging pants they had (6 euros) made of 100% polyester (microfiber). Since then I've never had any troubles with skins and I'm pulling them apart with 2 fingers:) You just need to do 1 cut +1 sewing (it takes 10 minutes) and you get the bag for skins + "beautiful" shorts extra:) 'll try add some pics

http://splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=10192
ski holidays
Re. Cheat Sheets:

The plastic mesh version by Black Diamond etc is around £15 Sad .......so I bought a roll of gutter mesh in one of the ubquitous, cheapy, we sell everything type shops for about £2 and made my own.

The stuff comes in really long rolls - easily enough for 5 or 6 pairs of skins. Simply cut to size with scissors.

Like this - but as I say, I paid about £2:

http://www.buyspares.co.uk/product.pl?pid=1676221&utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=products&gclid=CN-J0rWHq68CFawMtAodsHRkjg
ski holidays
That BD mesh disintegrates too and leaves a mess all over the glue - menace Sad
snow report
While looking for the Montana Skinnys I noticed that Colltex do a heated scraper especially for getting the glue off the skins (which is the hardest part of the re-glue)

http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/en/colltexheatedscraper-p-43174.html

Which looks a lot easier than the method I used ....

http://youtube.com/v/OBKi2VPH2GI
snow report
All the above is awesome advice. The only other tip I have is that most skins have a stretchy attachment on them, making sure that's really tight will keep the skin on despite the glue not being very sticky. It's a PITA to skin with as snow collects between the skin and the ski but it gets you going. Smile
snow report
€21 - hardly worth my effort of a homebrew version:

First spread a load of old newspaper on the floor and lay out one skin - stick side up. Use the hot blade to scrape off the old glue. It's a slow job and you end up with big balls of the stuff. Try to keep it away from the hairs on the back side! I found I needed more heat than I expected - something over 300C on the iron - and lots of pressure on the skin. The glue gives itself up very slowly so prepare for a long haul. Repeat for other skin.

Then comes the easy bit. I used an old credit card but anything with a flat edge will do. Blob on a bit of glue and then spread it about. Try to get good coverage without pushing too much over the edge and into the fur. I guess a run over with the hot knife will help spread it about but I haven't tried that yet.

PS: for less faff on windy colls, cut one backing sheet in half and use both sides. Return to using full length sheets (1 + 2 halves) for home storage.
snow report
"Try to keep it away from the hairs on the backside"
Will do.
latest report
[Viz Top Tip] Save money by giving yourself a full brazil with the skins before renewing the glue [/Viz Top Tip]
latest report
I have put a hole in the cheat sheets, strengthened with gaffer tape to take a small carabiner. As soon as it is off, and before I put it on I put it on the carabiner. That way it isn't going anywhere, I don't need two hands free to secure it and it doesn't get crumpled. When I am ready I deal with it.
snow report
So has anyone on here bought the new Gecko skins that still stick when wet and can even be washed? More expensive but I'm wondering if it might be worth it.
ski holidays
snowball wrote:
So has anyone on here bought the new Gecko skins that still stick when wet and can even be washed? More expensive but I'm wondering if it might be worth it.

I've heard mixed reviews about their long term operation. Certainly seem to do the job at first, but don't seem to last as long.

I'll dig out the reviews I found. I don't have them bookmarked so will have to try and remember what search terms I used when I found them Smile
snow conditions
http://www.wildsnow.com/6281/gecko-skins-review/
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy