Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Does anything do your head in when skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
*whom*, sorry Pedantica! Embarassed
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
People not checking the piste above them before setting off really gets to me, had a few near misses as they seemed to wait for me to get to them before going across to try and wipe me out!!! Nothing gets the heart going though like a near collision Laughing Traversing ridges with steep drops to one side to get across to a skiable area also makes a bit of a mess of my boxers Razz
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Today in powder I really struggled and had a spectacular wipeout with all equipment going in ten different directions. Up till now my confidence has been growing and I'll have a go at most things except moguls. I was back to being a terrified gibbering wreck, totally doubting myself and wondering if I should give up altogether. I was able to arrange a 1:1 lesson which really helped get my confidence back and showed me I was basically doing everything right, just needing to push through the powder harder. I still wish you could pop a confidence pill tho' before setting out every day. Confused
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cat tracks when the snow is sticky and compacts quickly. The surface seems to want to grab your edge at the top of the shovel at any opportunity it gets. Carving skis really don't play nicely on this surface.

My phobia may have something to do with having caught an edge a few years ago on such a track, twisted my knee and torn a cartilage.

Now I just try to keep the skis off their bases until I'm off the track.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowyowl,

me too! I usually do the ski pole across the lap trick or quietly hold onto their coat hoods!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Biddy Twiddle,
Quote:

I still wish you could pop a confidence pill tho' before setting out every day.

Probably a bit controversial, but have you tried a Vin Chaud/Gluhwein mid morning? Just the one does wonders for the bendy bits, hurting bits, makes you smile and promotes relaxation... (but I'm not condoning drink-skiing!)
We have all done totals like yours. Usually in deep snow under a lift with cheers from above. It happens. All the time. Losing your hat/glasses/skis and sticks and some face is no big deal, really. It's quite embarrassing to have to be picked up, but I bet you have picked up others in the same situation. Crashing is part of skiing for all but a very few of us. Lucky you didn't hurt yourself! Falling without hurting yourself is a skill all skiers need! Cheer up. You can already ski better than 50% of the rest.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jonny Jones, It's not to bad if you can avoid the big rock in the middle just as you land Shocked
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
leedsunited wrote:
Jonny Jones, It's not to bad if you can avoid the big rock in the middle just as you land Shocked

That photo deffinitely wasnt taken this season, its hardly been open at all. Last week when I was there you had to sideslip down to the rock on skiers left then jump turn in. Snow wasnt too bad once in but the slip was really icy.

Looking up at the entrance Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Where most people jump in there is a solid wall of rock right in front of you, gotta make sure you turn pretty dam quick. Shocked
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
More than A thing actually...

1. People who cannot master their speed, i.e they think they know how to ski but they actually ski like b****y schlitt (luge a foin for the francophones)
2. People who need to stop somewhere to eat. Pure time wasting : eat on/in the lifts and keep your trash in your pockets.
3. The ones who complain : Never the right snow, never the right slopes. If you can ski you ski anywhere, any snow in any weather and you enjoy it.
4. The noisy crowd. The mountains are silent so shut up. The lifts noise (and sight) are more than enough a polution to deal with.
5. The ones who throw their cigarettes butts and trash from the lifts. See point 2.
6. The one who always need an accomodation or a car space next to the piste. A good walk is a good warm up and a good pre-stretch work at the end of the day. If you're fit enough to ski, you're fit enough to walk.
7. The ones who think risk 0 exist therefore they are safe everywhere and mis-equipped (ARVA, shovel, probe)
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
volklwaffen, ^^ abso-bloody-lutely spot on, one of the best posts I have ever read on here, especially this
Quote:

3. The ones who complain : Never the right snow, never the right slopes. If you can ski you ski anywhere, any snow in any weather and you enjoy it.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
volklwaffen, re 2, one of the things that does my head in about skiing is other people eating smelly food in an enclosed lift. Otherwise I agree with you, even though I am not the ski god and fitness guru that you appear to be.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kooky wrote:
volklwaffen, ^^ abso-bloody-lutely spot on, one of the best posts I have ever read on here, especially this
Quote:

Thanks for your agreeing !

and I nearly forgot :

8. The ones that never fill in the lifts (chairs or cabins), because they wanna sit with their friends, when there is a massive queue
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pedantica wrote:
volklwaffen, re 2, one of the things that does my head in about skiing is other people eating smelly food in an enclosed lift. Otherwise I agree with you, even though I am not the ski god and fitness guru that you appear to be.

If there is anything in the few points I have mentioned that makes you think I am either or or even both I have to disappoint you by admitting my ski-ing is acceptable and far from perfect and my fitness is just common : I do warm up before and stretch after exercise just enough to not give my body too rough a ride.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
volklwaffen wrote:

8. The ones that never fill in the lifts (chairs or cabins), because they wanna sit with their friends, when there is a massive queue

Now that p*sses me right off. The lifties should make people fill up the chairs!
snow report
volklwaffen, You can add the people who always make unfavorable comparisons about the mountain/conditions. i.e. The snow was much better at ..... ..... last week and the lifts at ..... ..... are much newer.
ski holidays
People who take skiing MASSIVELY SERIOUSLY and don't realise that this activity should be about enjoying oneself. Sneering at people who may just be out there to have a good time (with safety and consideration for others) is desperately sad.

Volklwaffen. Yes, people may stop by the side of the mountain to enjoy a sandwich in the sun. This is frankly a bizarre thing to get upset about, don't you think?
snow report
maybe they arnt filling up the chairs as thier buddy has the sandwiches Shocked
latest report
patricksh wrote:
I hope the 8th French person got down alright...

Very Happy
latest report
I remember a trip out in the Berwyns a while back. At one point in a white-out on the way up I found myself trying to skin up the vertical wall of a huge snowdrift. It was completely invisible even though it was right in front of me.

This year in Saint-François Longchamp once more we visited the inside of a cloud. Going up in the cronky old chair to the Col du Mottet we could just make out the one in front. There was nobody else about which all added to the tension. As we were slowly sliding down there was a scream from behind as Mrs A suddenly realised she was off the side of the piste, heading she knew not where. Lower down, many of the other groups would simply stop through the worst of it and then carry on again when they could see.

I find it best to just spend all my concentration on finding where to go and just let the skiing look after itself. It's not fast and not pretty but it gets the job done. And anyway, if the drop off the edge is really serious then there's usually a net!

Oh yes, and a typical day in the Cairngorms:
snow report
altis, it's character building.
snow conditions
volklwaffen, why shouldn't people want to sit with their friends on the lifts. Surely part of the fun of a holiday is spending time chewing the fat with your mates sat on a lift.
snow report
jirac18, if its busy then seeing three 4 man chairs go up with only 2 people on each one can be a tad vexing..
but there is always the singles line a truly great invention
snow conditions
CANV CANVINGTON, agreed, particularly like the elegant use of "vexing"
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy