Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Time management and getting to the slopes

Poster: A snowHead
rob@rar.org.uk,

Try Easyjet. I just found £65 return from Stansted Friday to Sunday mid January, if its any good to you.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Peter Leuzzi thanks, but that's the wrong side of London for me. It needs to be Heathrow, Gatwick or City to be a sensible proposition for a weekend break.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar.org.uk, last year we typically paid £80 or so. booked way in advance though
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar.org.uk,

Can't you move? Are you are a committed skier or what?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Peter Leuzzi, I know, I'm a lightweight Wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar.org.uk, London City to Berne Belp possibly ? Darwin Airline fly twice a day early morning and late afternoon so you could fly Monday am and be back at London city by 9.15am having left Friday afternoon at 17.45 ! However they're not cheap at about £120 each way and you'd probably want to grab a taxi to and from the airport which could cost up to another £100 each way, the only day they don't travel is Saturday
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David Murdoch,

Tell me about it, they can really pi$$ me off. I think I'll dump them...!!! Ha!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
D G Orf, it needs to be Geneva, Lyon or Chambery otherwise the journey at the other end is too long.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar.org.uk, Bernese Oberland, 1 hour by hire car to Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen about 40 mins to Interlaken, in fact a hire car might well be a good option for a weekend trip and with 215km of pistes in the area 2 days skiing is unlikely to cover a huge amount of the area
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
D G Orf,

Yep, Bern to Engelberg will work for me.. The Swiss trains are excellent and should be in resort in about 90mins on the basis that Basel takes 2 hrs with a change. Not sure if Bern is on the way...!! It probably isn't, but the Junfrau would be, I think. Is that right..?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
D G Orf, I'm sure it terrific skiing there, but I've got a small place in Les Arcs so that's my base for skiing.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar.org.uk, fair enough, JT Basle to Engelberg could go via Bern and Basle to Bern takes about 1 hour however it is much more likely to go via Lucerne as it's a better route, Bern airport to Bern station is about 20mins by bus, going to Engelberg from Bern airport would probably take longer than going from Basle Airport as you'd go Airport to Belp station, Belp to Thun, Thun to Interlaken Ost, Interlaken Ost to Lucerne and Finaly Lucerne to Engelberg, however it would be a beautifly secenic journey, going that way would on a clear day give you a view of the Jungfrau from Interlaken
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
D G Orf,

Yes, went through Luzern from Basel and it took just over two hrs which is ok-ish. So its Easyjet then which is at least 3-4 times a week in and out for about £45 upwards. Bad news about EUjet because they did a sat-sat from Manston to Zurich which might be a better train ride.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Most i've ever done in one season is 3.5 weeks - but that's cos I was busy with other pastimes.

How... 30 days annual leave, no kids, no mortgage
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thank you one and all.

Many good ideas and much inspiration.
snow report
Peter Leuzzi, what is your own situation - do you have a family, are you an employer/employee/own company, where in the UK are you are there aother considerations? Let us know your details and we'll give you some ideas about how to get more skiing in.

I didn't bother to ask about income as it almost goes without saying that we all look to do things as cheap as practical.
snow conditions
Some other ideas for easily managed short/long weekends.

Isola 2000 - So many flights to Nice with Easyjet/BA/bmi that prices always cheap in the winter. Avoid Friday night /Monday morning ( loads of commuters) if possible. - 'Snow - Bus' to resort from airport takes about 1 1/2 hrs. I don't like the place though 'cos it's ugly! - Limone also very prectical from Nice/Genova

Switzerlanda Valais resorts - I would suggest Nendaz. Geneva airport - train to Sion (90 minutes) or autoroute drive around lake. Post bus or taxi to the resort ( easiest access I have found from the Rhone valley).Obviously if you fly into Sion you are only a 20-25 minute taxi ride from the resort.
Champery is also served by train ( into the town) - 2 hrs from GVA airport, but the drive is a little more difficult.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 26-09-05 9:54; edited 1 time in total
snow report
The Stansted flights to Turin are great for weekend, 2 flights out, early morning and early evening, returning from Turin about 10pm at night . Easy reach of Milky Way, Val d'Aosta, Bardonecchia, Serre Chevalier. We used it often before Easyjet started flying out of Newcastle. I still need someone to start the flight to Turin though from here.
latest report
David Murdoch,

Cant think of anything more knackering, do you sleep at work when you get back Puzzled
latest report
eEvans wrote:

Switzerlanda Valais resorts - I would suggest Nendaz. Geneva airport - train to Sion (90 minutes) or autoroute drive around lake. Post bus or taxi to the resort ( easiest accesss I have found from the Rhone valley).Obviously if you fly into Sion you are only a 20-25 minute taxi ride from the resort.
Champery is also served by train ( into the town) - 2 hrs from GVA airport, but the drive is a little more difficult.

I'd be very, very careful about trying to get from the Valais to GVA, or even out the Valais towards Lausanne. The traffic can be horrifc, at least we think it is compared to the rest of Switzerland Very Happy

The train may be a much good option and more reliable than trying to drive.
latest report
ise, We were caught up in some lengthy road works on the way back to Geneva a couple of weeks ago. Around 20 mins hold up in rush hour, due to 1. An accident, and 2. Rubberneckers. Still it's nice to see that it's not just the Brits that partake in this pastime.
latest report
That's the Glion I assume, it'll be done soon, there's a website for it and if you tune to RSR on the radio the RDS will tell you the current delay.
snow report
ise, My point here, was that even with roadworks, a multiple car accident + rush hour, there was no real problem in terms of delay. Naturally, since you live in Switzerland, I defer to your superior local knowledge Smile
ski holidays
rush hour ? this is Switzerland, no one commutes. It's significantly busier in the season as everyone goes out for the day/weekend and all the foreigners come and go.
latest report
ise, Err, don't you commute then?
snow conditions
I go around 30km, all the way over there people have only vaguely heard of where I live and would see a 30km commute as extreme. Most people live a couple of km from where they work. Autoroutes are only there for going on holiday for most people, take a closer look when you're here, you'll see a significant number of local cars that don't actually have motorway vignettes.
ski holidays
ise,
Quote:

take a closer look when you're here, you'll see a significant number of local cars that don't actually have motorway vignettes

I will make a point of looking, but not while I'm doing any driving mind, since it's hard work being on the wrong side Smile
snow report
ise wrote:

I'd be very, very careful about trying to get from the Valais to GVA, or even out the Valais towards Lausanne. The traffic can be horrifc, at least we think it is compared to the rest of Switzerland Very Happy

The train may be a much good option and more reliable than trying to drive.

Mmmmh, that's very interesting . I've done GVA-Valais 6-8 times over the last couple of months and Sierre-Monthey a few more and I've been surprised at the amount of traffic on the motorway each time. I had assumed it was just bad timing and catching those roadworks in rush hour. Even last Tuesday morning (albeit after a bank holiday weekend), I left for GVA at 6-15 am and the roads were hellish, both around the roadworks (Glion?) and Lausanne . Took me just over 2 hrs to the airport.

I was surprised at the number of cars without vignettes , but then again some mountain folks didn't seem to have licence plates in the Val d'Anniviers Shocked Shocked wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stanton, The GF and I think it's quite acceptable to trade a friday and sunday evening in some dodgy watering hole on the King's road for some dodgy airport bar and a free rioja courtesy of BA. Also, I can wholeheartedly recommend "Priority Pass" which gets you into airport lounges. It's worth it for the skiing.
snow conditions
Ray Zorro,

Quote:

what is your own situation - do you have a family, are you an employer/employee/own company, where in the UK are you are there aother considerations? Let us know your details and we'll give you some ideas about how to get more skiing in.

I have a wife who likes (but not yet loves) skiing for a week a year, but would find rushing about for 2 days on the slopes less than relaxing. Two kids 3 and 5 that haven't started skiing yet. Going away with them is fine for a week but on a short sharp stealth mission the hectic hassle and the weird sleep times etc would be a little upsetting just so the old man could go play in the snow. We live in North London and have ease of access by car to Luton, although prefer Stansted. I am joint MD of a small (in personnel) company which is actually very mobile/laptop friendly.

Any further ideas gratefully accepted.
ski holidays
David Murdoch,
Quote:

free rioja courtesy of BA

Quote:
16h00 depart La Terrasse after bang up late lunch

I did see you were driving to the resort from the airport Puzzled
ski holidays
We take it in turns to drive. Normally me on way out, her nibs on way back.
latest report
Peter Leuzzi One solution may be to offer to help out with disabled skiers - http://www.disabilitysnowsport.org.uk/index.php?page_id=20 I have absolutely no idea what it is all about, but hats of to those guys that do it (both the disabled and the helpers). Helping out would be something that Mrs L would probably be able to support you doing and it looks like there is the chance for some skiing.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy