Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skipress Canada - Wide vs Narrow Stance

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Martin Bell, why thank you!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
From the opening post wrote:
Compare a Formula 1 car with a bicycle. The car with the broad base is more stable than narrow-stance bike. That’s why skiers ...
Not keen on this comparison! I think it is entirely bogus. Formula 1 cars are very fast. Motorbikes are also very fast and I guess their tyre contact area is of similar width to a ski. Skiers and bicycles top out at around 70mph. Professional racing cyclists go down hills at 60-70 mph on tyres about 0.5 inch wide.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What about when you leave dry tarmac? There must be a reason why those speedway riders put their inside foot down when they go around those cinder tracks. My guess would be that a car would always be more stable than a bike, especially on a loose surface, because it has a wider base - but I don't claim to be an expert on motorsports.

What I do know is that a snowboarder is never as fast as a skier down an icy racecourse. The reason: a snowboard only has one edge, and if that edge skids then the snowboarder must make a very athletic reaction to correct. If a skier's outside ski skids, the skier can use the inside ski to correct. So it would make sense not to have those two skis too close together, to maximise the advantage of having two skis.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Martin Bell, I'd hazard a guess that few of us would want to walk down a race prepared downhill piste, let alone ski down it . . . and the thought of boarding down one just adds to my laundry pile Confused A board on ice, unless constantly driven, is just a liability looking to break your bones.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David Murdoch, Shocked very nice indeed (where's the "green with envy" smiley?)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It is the difference between static and dynamic stability - a car will sit on all fours all day. A bike or (narrow) skier will fall over. Bikes (and skiers) correct continuously by steering the point of balance all the time - usually back under the centre of gravity. This leads to more agility.
Modern military aircraft are similar - unstable and kept pointing in the right direction by fast computers. We just use our brains !
As Martin says, the extra edge is very useful when our brains arn't quick enough fot the conditions Shocked
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you are using both skis to carve then you need to move to the inside of the inside ski to turn, and to the inside (the curve, as in past) of the other ski to turn back. You will need to move back and forth a lot more if your skis are wide apart. This makes a narrow stance better for lightly scampering through bumps making quick turns. You are also much less likely to catch one ski on a lump of snow while the other ski faces no such obstacle when you skis are traveling almost in the same path.

If you are pulling high gs you need big lean angles and your skis will necessarily (Euclidian geometry) be far apart. For the type of skiing you see a DH racer doing, wide apart skis definately provide a broader base of support as well.

It seems quite simple to me. I really don't know what all the fuss is about Puzzled
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
No need to respond, just being slightlty cheeky, but do I detect a hint of A-framing in the third, widest, "carving" sequence?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

It seems quite simple to me. I really don't know what all the fuss is about

There is no fuss, and the concept of adapting stance width to conditions has been a feature of CSIA instruction since I started taking lessons with them.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
GrahamN, Cheers!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There is of course the school of thought that says that the legs are not really wide apart at the apex of a carving turn, in terms of the lateral angle between the femurs. This is discussed quite a lot here: http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=27988&highlight=wide+stance
Another way of looking at it is to imagine how things would appear if the effects of centrifugal force were actually being produced by gravity. This leads to the "tilted picture" diagram. Go to this presentation: http://www.ronlemaster.com/presentations/AlpineRacingTechnique-2003.pdf
and there are some good examples on pages 23 -25.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sorry for going slightly opff topic, but he discusses in the early slides the effects of equipment innovation on technique

On skis [slide 4], "(modern skis) ...encourage 'park and ride' skiing". Love it!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy