Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The snowHeads ACL rehab club !

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@Grizzler, When I was rehabbing mine, my physio strength tested bad v good as a reference. However he was also very interested in my fine 'control' of the repaired leg as well as strength.

@Harry Flashman
There are some rehab diaries on here which give some real life experiences. I think I was getting back on ski's by 6 months but it was done carefully. With hind sight I reckon it was actually 3 years before I was fully back to where I was pre accident.
snow report     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@AndAnotherThing.., Trouble is, whilst one seems better than the other, I have both legs/knees to get back into shape...

My physio also said that full recovery is likely to be in matters of year(s) - but "strong enough" is, I presume, going to be some time before that, just with appropriate caution and reduced time/mileage/aggression.
latest report     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Grizzler, Presumably 'out there somewhere' is the data that ought to give a base line reference.

Shame pulling the data together will be difficult.
latest report     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@AndAnotherThing.., Difficult, yes. And I've been looking online since pretty much week 7 post injury (so end April) and asking many healthcare professionals who claim knee expertise - and, sadly (never mind annoyingly) I can't find said data or baseline references anywhere.
It does seem that I, and I assume many others in a similar boat, are just left to take their own risks and proceed with cautious trial and hopefully not too much injurious error. Very non- impressed by being left extremely alone and unadvised in this decision and in rehabbing in a return to ski way. Unfortunately, except for Wimbledon Clinic's RTS course, which is inaccessible for me, it seems it's the only option for most, and getting a physio or doctor who skis is pot luck to rare. Any practical guidance to assist in making the potentially-
risky 'when to try it again' decision (and the attendant 'strong enough' assessment) is, if available, clearly a very closely-guarded trade secret...

Due to personal circumstances and time constraints/availability, I've decided to have a go again indoors next week. That's 5 1/2 months post injury. Part of me thinks it's a bit soon (on one knee, anyway), the rest thinks it's about time and that I should be OK if I don't over push it for too long and pile on the tubigrip and neoprene braces. So wish me luck, and hope that I've made the right decision and assessment of where I am up to. I guess that I'll find out either way...
Now, how does one do this turning and controlling skis thing again???
latest report     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@AndAnotherThing.., Difficult, yes. And I've been looking online since pretty much week 7 post injury (so end April) and asking many healthcare professionals who claim knee expertise - and, sadly (never mind annoyingly) I can't find said data or baseline references anywhere.
It does seem that I, and I assume many others in a similar boat, are just left to take their own risks and proceed with cautious trial and hopefully not too much injurious error. Very non- impressed by being left extremely alone and unadvised in this decision and in rehabbing in a return to ski way. Unfortunately, except for Wimbledon Clinic's RTS course, which is inaccessible for me, it seems it's the only option for most, and getting a physio or doctor who skis is pot luck to rare. Any practical guidance to assist in making the potentially-
risky 'when to try it again' decision (and the attendant 'strong enough' assessment) is, if available, clearly a very closely-guarded trade secret...

Due to personal circumstances and time constraints/availability, I've decided to have a go again indoors next week. That's 5 1/2 months post injury. Part of me thinks it's a bit soon (on one knee, anyway), the rest thinks it's about time and that I should be OK if I don't over push it for too long and pile on the tubigrip and neoprene braces. So wish me luck, and hope that I've made the right decision and assessment of where I am up to. I guess that I'll find out either way...
Now, how does one do this turning and controlling skis thing again???
snow report     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Grizzler, Very much wishing you luck next week.
latest report     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@cad99uk, Thanks, and maybe it helped Very Happy
Went to Chill Factore today, clad in Tubigrip and wraparound braces. Won't sat it was technically great, certainly nowhere near what I was capable of, but actually managed about hour and a half of various turn types and the usual chopped up lumps and hardpack corridors before deciding that discretion was the better part of determination.
Sore, weak, no way have any confidence and am terrified of speed or falling (did get on the race SLs but no way could handle the speed or skis).
But, hey, I stayed upright and seemingly in as much of 1 piece as how I went in. Smile
ski holidays     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Grizzler, That's good news. Well done for being so positive. Hopefully that was the first of many sliding sessions in the future.
latest report     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Grizzler, Brilliant. My first time back was also Manchester. I ended up shadowing an Instructor refresher course so started with straight running working through the plough stages until I was skiing a bit more like. As you say 'Discretion' is an important element at this stage Smile
snow report     

Derived from phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group & 2004-2013 snowHeads.com Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy