Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The snowHeads ACL rehab club !

Poster: A snowHead
Oh no! Did it just go or were you in an accident?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It pretty much just gave way under some small stress. Got 20 years out of so not too upset. But annoyed that the arthritis has ruled out a 2nd repair...i'd do the rehab etc in a heartbeat.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, that's a complete bug. How unstable is your knee? Will you be able to build up the quads so you can do without the ACL?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
That's the plan! I've been doing a lot of physio since, balance boards, cycling, some squats etc, so confident i'll be able to do most things with the caveat that every now and again it'll give way and i'll be in a heap!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@coddlesangers, you need a different surgeon!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Possibly. The fella i'm with seems to know his onions, but then some are more conservative then others, I have a lot of arthritis in the knee in question and he thinks the outcome wouldn't be great.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What a pain re the occasional collapsing though. Argh! Much sympathy from here.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
What a pain re the occasional collapsing though. Argh! Much sympathy from here.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
legalista wrote:
Does anyone have a view on road cycling post ACL surgery? At what stage have you done this?

Swelling needs to be completely down and full movement.

Then start gradually whilst watching it doesn't trigger an effusion.

Gentle ex bike at a few weeks but outdoors after six- 8 usually.

To avoid injury when cycling no mountain bikes/offroad in case you have to put the foot down suddenly

Jonathan Bell

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sat 9-07-16 16:51; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Jonathan Bell, Many thanks - much appreciated!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Well, I'm 12 weeks post op and went to the gym and had a swim today - just wonderful!Getting out and about on the new bike too (but in a very nervous way).
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@legalista, that's good news. You seem to be enjoying the rehab - a good example to us all!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@22 dropout, Well, tbh I'd vastly rather the whole darn rupture thing hadn't happened; but I really do take pleasure in gradually being able to do things that have been off limits since January. Managed a 12 mile proper bike ride today - felt as pleased as if I'd done the tour de france! Still a long way to go but I'm trying to deal sensibly with the negatives and enjoy the positives. How are you doing?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
One year on post ACL reconstruction. Have skied again (big leap of faith) but not at my level before the op. Bring on December. Am walking everything, did Kinderdownfall last week. Have been sailing( big boats) had a brain issue with gang planks. Not on the flat just over the water. Knee did not like the heat of Greece and had a little swelling. Been back to see consultant and he is happy with my progress. Knee feels "stiff" sometimes but life seems normal again. Not bad for a lady of my age. Would I do it again ( God forbid the need) YES! (Operation and rehab, not snap my ACL again)
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
margaret wrote:
One year on post ACL reconstruction. Have skied again (big leap of faith) but not at my level before the op. Bring on December. Am walking everything, did Kinderdownfall last week. Have been sailing( big boats) had a brain issue with gang planks. Not on the flat just over the water. Knee did not like the heat of Greece and had a little swelling. Been back to see consultant and he is happy with my progress. Knee feels "stiff" sometimes but life seems normal again. Not bad for a lady of my age. Would I do it again ( God forbid the need) YES! (Operation and rehab, not snap my ACL again)

Focus on a ski specific program between now and December.
You've got plenty of time to make a big improvement.

well done on getting through the rehab- its pretty tough.

Jonathan Bell
snow conditions
@margaret, sounds as though you're doing really well! Interested to hear the gangplank issue - maybe its to do with confidence and the knowledge that the balance mechanism needs re-setting after the acl surgery?
latest report
@legalista, maybe. Last week I walked twice over a gangplank type footbridge with no issues. I did do a sailing course with a nice instructor, maybe I just wanted to hold his hand......😍
latest report
Quote:

Focus on a ski specific program between now and December.

Hi, Could anyone point me in the direction of a good ski specific programme? I've not had surgery; trying to gain as much strength as possible through exercise. Sorry if it is somewhere in this thread, but so far have only managed to read a few pages! Thanks.
ski holidays
@Rachdav, Theres a fairly specific topic just a few lines down that might be more suited to your enquiry: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=125496
snow report
5 months since my ACL reconstruction. Walking around without a stick now, still got to rebuild a lot of muscle I've lost, still doesn't like me kneeling down on it so avoid it but might just take some getting used to. Been out on my bike and starting to get some fitness back.

It's been a long old road. Will be a year at the end of September since I did the original injury!
snow report
@Grizwald, good to hear how you're doing. Mine works but movement restricted still, however much I try. I fell over a couple of days ago, which was scary but I think I've got away with it. I was walking down a small alp and just slipped on a steep bit
ski holidays
I am back from a second ski trip post ACL replacement. I skied four hours a day, with no swelling or any pain. I am 17 months after reconstruction , and am feeling good. It makes the hard work worthwhile. Am going skiing again in January, bring it on. The ACL replacement was worth it.
snow report
@margaret,excellent news! Enjoy your next trip
snow report
@margaret, great news. Well done!
ski holidays
@margaret, Good one Smile
snow conditions
@margaret, fantastic! Hope it keeps on improving.

Long overdue update on me:

All was going fairly well with rehab but I had persistent pain on the lateral side of the knee and then in early September suddenly got pain on the inside of the knee after doing squats.
MRI revealed nothing on the lateral side of the knee, but showed a complete 'shredding" of the medial meniscus.
So I was booked into another surgery on October 5th, this time in Glasgow, to sort out the medial meniscus.

Good news is that they found the ACL was intact and doing well. Initially the surgeon thought that my knee was a little lax but it was the same on the good knee, so no issues.
When he went in, he found a tear in the lateral side that couldn't be seen on the MRI which explained the lateral pain so that was sorted too.
50% of medial meniscus removed and around 25% of the lateral meniscus was removed.
Pain relief on the lateral side was immediate!

I have been following the rehab protocol religiously and progress has been good. Muscle stiffness on the lateral side of the calf, quad and hamstring has been pretty consistent through the strengthening process which has been irritating, but has not prevented me from doing too much.

I was tested for the first time today and went through Y balance, single leg 1 hop for distance and stability, triple hop for distance and stability, triple cross/lateral hope for stability and distance and finally a 6 metre timed single leg hop

Good news is that for the Y balance, I had better scores on my 'bad' left knee than my right and was well within 95% of my right hop distances and time in the others, so it currently looks like I am all on track to begin my return to ski programme very soon but awaiting the go ahead from the team physio and S&C folk before getting too excited!
ski holidays
@Touchguru, Excellent. Who's looking after your physio program ?
snow conditions
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
@Touchguru, Excellent. Who's looking after your physio program ?

Thanks! Hoping for continual improvement!

A combination of Scottish Institute of Sport/Parasnowsport GB and Medbase Zurich are looking after that side of things. Probably more SIS/Parasnowsport going forward, as S&C stuff ramps up.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Touchguru, what pain to need more surgery but good to hear that it looks at though that's sorted it. and @margaret, that's fantastic! I did the return to ski day with Wimbledon which I found really useful - particularly the physio assessment before.
snow conditions
@Touchguru, snowHead
snow report
Just back from four days skiing, 8 months and 10 days after the surgery! So pleased to be able to ski again. Just half days but the knee coped fine. I'm too cautious which I think is risky in itself as once you go slow, you get caught up by snowboarders and can't keep ahead of the crowd, but nothing bad happened. A great building block - really happy. Now it's a case of back to the gym and keep working on the muscles! Happy new year to everyone on the forum Very Happy
snow conditions
@legalista, l was told that my biggest hurdle to skiing again was my brain, which was thoroughly true. Each time l skied l had a private lesson to start with to bolster my confidence. I have had a stupendous fall, and walked away from it, although my knee as it happened was in my thoughts. But it was all fine. My husband was more shaken! I guess if it's important enough to you, you just do it. ( l still hate the sound of boarders behind me, sorry boarders. I like the ones that know what they are doing.😄)
Happy New Year to all.
snow report
@margaret, totally agree! Interesting to hear that you had a fall and nothing bad happened. Ignoring my less than impressive skiing, it was just so good to be out on the snow and to be able to have lunch in the sun at my favourite restaurant Very Happy
snow report
Well I had surprising news today. Went in for an arthroscopy to resolve my knee giving way, thought to be a broken acl repair..turned out the acl repair is still intact. Instead ended up with a medial menisectomy (Partial I hope) and a debridement of the lateral meniscus. Surgeon says no more aggressive sports, presume he doesn't mean skiing!!!!! Toofy Grin recovery time with rehab? Any guesses?
latest report
Hi @coddlesangers, - that's a surprise. Good to hear that the acl is still going. Can't help you with recovery time save for hoping that it's not too long!
snow report
So I had my second operation at the Wimbledon Clinic two weeks ago, and it went well - I am told they got a nearly 9.5mm graft from my hamstring, which is larger than usual (Mr Fairbank was the surgeon, Dr Sharma the anaesthetist - and I have to say both of them, and their staff, have been a pleasure to deal with).

First physio sessions have revealed full extension and 105 degree flexion two weeks on. Pain has been fine, but I get some when stressing it. Muscles are very tight and definitely atrophied.

I am going to work hard. Is it completely unreaslistic to expect to be able to ski in 6 months? I just want to get on the mountain and book private lessons and do some rehab for my confidence. I was skiing to a pretty high level before, but accept that I won't again for a while, and would like to do some slow, steady piste skiing and start preparation for following seasons.

Am I expecting too much?
snow conditions
That is maybe a bit optimistic, at six months I was given the OK to return to hockey training but with a strict no tackling rule. When I attempted to run / sprint I felt very flat (I don't know if that make sense). I had been targeting a reTurn to skiing at 9months but ended up falling pregnant so didn't follow through. I guess it is possible.

Nb sports massages can help with the muscle pain during rehab.
snow report
@Harry Flashman, be guided by what your physio and surgeon say.
snow conditions
@Harry Flashman, rerupture rates of ACL reconstruction are much higher before 9 months. I will take skiers with ACL reco on the Return to ski day at six months but it is after we have screened you to see if you are strong enough.It is quite a controlled environment, not free skiing.
I would suggest you discuss with my colleague at Wimbledon Clinics when you see him for follow up.

Jonathan Bell
ski holidays
@Jonathan Bell, I am interested in your use of screening to see if someone is "strong enough". It's exactly what my consultant said that I need to achieve to be able to ski again: and then he promptly discharged me with no further guidance. All physios whom I've subsequently consulted cannot give any further enlightenment except to say keep on exercising and getting as strong as I want... But they can't say whether I'm "strong enough" now or not, very much leaving it to me to make that judgment.
Sadly, I'm way too far North to access your colleagues and RtS programme at Wimbledon/Hemel. (Attempting ACL conservative, not surgical). Can you offer any guidance? I cannot find anyone up my end who even skis... Sad
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy