Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hello, france or austria? First week of april..

Poster: A snowHead
First post on here, I have never been to a ski resort before but have promised my kids I will take them Skiing for the easter hols..

Looks like Scotland is not going to be in the picture, so I guess its france or austria? Which is best? Most economical, etc..?

I am from the northwest of the UK and the kids (aged 15, 17, 1Cool live in Frankfurt Germany..

So, the way I see it, I cant book a flight so I will have to drive, first to pick them up in Frankfurt, then drive to a resort..

I have had snowboard experience in the uk, but have never skied, two of the kids have skied before on school trips but the middle one hasn't..

I have my own board but the kids will need to hire their gear, plus lessons will be needed I guess, if I am to learn to ski with my daughter..

I have looked at a few places, seems there are many resorts but its hard to know much just from reading what is advertised..

I read somewhere that some places are expensive for food and drinks etc..

Wanting a good but economical time for a week.. Any suggestions?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
to answer your topic... yes

to be economical it will probably be determined by accom costs.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
drex, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead

From Frankfurt, I guess it makes most sense to drive to Austria - but in early April you will need to find a resort which is still likely to have good snow then. There are lots of SHs who know Austria, who could advise.

Yes, skiing is an expensive business anywhere. Food and drink needn't cost a fortune - it depends how you do it - but the ski passes, hiring gear and getting lessons can be pretty expensive!!

There are some high altitude resorts in France - notably Tignes and Val Thorens - which will almost always have good skiing in early April but they're a bit of a schlep from Frankfurt - I'd explore the Austrian options first, though I can't advise on those.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
accommodation need not be particularly expensive, if you rent an apartment - which also keeps food and drink costs down. I'd be surprised if you couldn't rent a perfectly good apartment for less than the cost of your ski passes.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes, the accommodation prices don't seem too bad, french prices seem slightly lower for accommodation but the self catering options seem to have a few extra costs involved, hiring towels, cleaning, etc.. As for the driving, I am not as worried about the distance as the fact that my old citroen c1 is not exactly roomy for 4 folks and their gear.. But taking the even older land rover would be very expensive and risky! I won't be needing snow chains or anything to get to the resorts will I?

I am assuming it will be possible to hire everything needed at the resort, are prices the same when you get there? I am not sure exactly what I will need to be booking you see..
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Nebelhorn/ fell horn nr oberstdorf. Snow will still be ok then! Infact, I'll be skiing that area around that time. And it's much cheaper than the big resorts!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

hiring towels

you can take these in the car?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
France.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kioksor wrote:
Quote:

hiring towels

you can take these in the car?

I don't see why not..

Looks like there are options in germany then.. Thanks for that swifty! Definately worth considering, as I speak only english, and my kids speak german.. I find it hard to imagine there being snow anywhere in april, though I do recall once getting off a plane from tenerife in easter to be greeted by 6 inches of snow back in manchester..

Would it be a good idea to wait till as late as possible to book?

Then I could have a much better idea of what is what of course!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Look at Ischgl. Sattelite villages like Galtuer will probably be cheaper accommodation wise.

Should be plenty of snow about. This has been a record season, but resorts often shut because of lack of visitors rather than lack of snow late season.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I find it hard to imagine there being snow anywhere in april

There's snow (and the possiblity to ski) all year in the Alps. The resorts with higher runs will have better snow in April. The second week of the easter holidays appears cheaper.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'd be tempted to look at Obertauern which will still have plenty of snow at that time of year and is cheaper than Ischgl (which would also be a good bet). To keep costs down you could stay in Tweng or Mautendorf and drive in.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi drex, If you're driving you have the advantage of picking and choosing and probably can leave it late which is always an advantage late season so you can choose where to best snow is. If you'd prefer to book sooner rather than later in Austria to be more snow sure have a look at:

Obertauern- is the highest ski resort south of Salzburg and has one of the best snow records in the Alps.
Obergurgl-Excelllent snow record including late season.
Kaprun-Kitzsteinhorn Glacier. Also Zell Am See is a bus ride away but low, but it's such a beautiful place.
Solden-Pitztal Glacier
Kuhtai-lots of slope side accomadation with ski in ski out (something you'll not see often in mainstream Austrian resorts)
Hochgurgl is the highest ski holiday resort in Austria (I think).
Zillertal Valley-Hintertux Glacier. Lots of choices down the Zillertal valley with the glacier as back up if everything suddenly melts (which it most likley wont't.

Of course it is possible you could go to one of any number of fine resorts in Austria and get good conditions-it's just more of a gamble. Many resorts top out at 2000m (base level for some of the above) but I've had great conditions closing week in some of these resorts.

You're best off heading to Austria, for logistical reasons if nothing else. The cheaper French apartments have a rep of being really pokey.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
drex, winter tyres are still mandatory in Austria in the first week of April. not sure about Germany. do a search on snowheads and there's loads about that.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
drex wrote:
my old citroen c1 is not exactly roomy for 4 folks and their gear..

Understatement of the year! Even without towels Shocked .
ski holidays
Quote:

resorts often shut because of lack of visitors rather than lack of snow late season

but they will be advertising their closing dates pretty clearly on their websites, which will also have plenty of other useful information, .e.g. about accommodation. It can occasionally happen that resorts close earlier than advertised (this happened in quite a lot of places last year, which wasn't a good year for snow) but they will generally close when they say, even if there's plenty of snow.

Ski holidays, especially with kids, are not that easy to organise, even when you have a fair bit of experience - and yes, it will be cheaper to book ski hire etc in advance, on the internet. You will also need to book ski lessons in advance, to be sure of getting them (and it's definitely not a good idea for complete beginners to try to muddle through without).

Ski schools will continue to run lessons, until the resort closes, even when the snow is really slushy and grim - and instructors are good at finding the best conditions, as they know their areas so well. So having lessons is a good way of making the best of a week of less than perfect conditions.

When looking at accommodation be sure to establish exactly how far it is from the ski school meeting place. This might involve a bus ride, in which case be clear where the bus stops. Walking in ski boots, carrying skis, is no fun and you are not going to be able to transport the family, plus skis, in a C1!

Obertauern is certainly a good place to go for late snow - we have friends who could only ski at Easter and went there with their two lads, over several years. They always had enough snow and said their hotel was excellent - but it's not cheap. Googling "apartments to rent in Obertauern" comes up with some very nice looking places but with absolutely eye-watering prices.
e.g. 2000 euros a week for this one http://www.holiday-rentals.co.uk/p848676 Shocked There MUST be cheaper places but my googling didn't find them!

Includes linen and towels though. wink

There are some good "package" deals available in some French resorts (and maybe some Austrian ones too, but I don't know about them).

For example - you could get accommodation (including some linen) in a place with good facilities, and lift passes, and equipment hire, for less than £300 each. http://www.leskidunordausud.fr/index.php?station_cle=107&instance=google-s&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=Appartement%20Valloire&utm_content=_107_Valloire&utm_campaign=Mixes%20Stations%20MM&utm_match=Phrase&gclid=CKWat8f42q4CFc4LtAodZyKFZQ

What is your budget for the trip?
ski holidays
Thanks for those helpful and detailed posts folks. I am doing my research now!

Budget wise.. I am hoping to get value for money and would like to think I could get change from £2,000 for the accommodation and rental, passes and lessons etc..

That would leave me with more to spend on the indulgences and stuff..

I think I would be wincing a bit if the total cost goes over £3,000!

I'd certainly like to afford to hit the slopes more than annually!
snow conditions
drex, We just booked an S/C appartment for 4 in VT for the 2nd week in April (Easter weekend) for 1088€. Certainly not 4 star but it will do for us. Lift passes will be on top of that. We are driving, no lessons, have our own skis, so also hope to minimise the extra costs. For those dates it was about as cheap as we could get and as high as we could get.

http://www.pv-holidays.com/gb-en/apartments-residence-le-machu-pichu_VTM-H_fp?hc=VTM25&duree=7&dated=2012-04-07

We were concerned as some VT appartments can be rather 'basic'. There's also another thread with a response from a P&V employee.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2004758&highlight=#2004758

Good luck!
snow report
drex, get down to Austrian Adventures in Radstadt. British run B&B/Chalet smack bang in the middle of the Ski Amadé region. Less than 10 minutes from the A10 Tauernautobahn. Here is their web site: http://www.austrian-adventures.com/

Then send a Private Message to Flangesax - that is the user name for both the owners and ask about your needs. If they cannot take you they have a network of connections, including quite a few British owners who live permanently out there, who should be able to help sort you out.

The end of the season the Ski Amadé region is doing a special offer on kid's ski passes - I'm not sure of the details but I believe the passes are free for under 15s staying in the region for more than a couple of days.
ski holidays
Thanks again folks, very helpful links.. I shall continue my investigations, some good stuff there..
ski holidays
Back again.. Have to say, I had a great time and it all turned out less confusing and daunting than I expected! Cheaper too.. Got a deal that covered all the meals and accomodation.. South German Alps..
snow conditions
Grizwald wrote:
Hochgurgl is the highest ski holiday resort in Austria (I think).

Quote:
At an elevation of 1,930 m (6,330 ft), Obergurgl is the highest parish in Austria.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obergurgl
ski holidays
drex, great news, will you do it again this season?
snow conditions
Samerberg Sue wrote:
drex, get down to Austrian Adventures in Radstadt. British run B&B/Chalet smack bang in the middle of the Ski Amadé region. Less than 10 minutes from the A10 Tauernautobahn. Here is their web site: http://www.austrian-adventures.com/

Then send a Private Message to Flangesax - that is the user name for both the owners and ask about your needs. If they cannot take you they have a network of connections, including quite a few British owners who live permanently out there, who should be able to help sort you out.

The end of the season the Ski Amadé region is doing a special offer on kid's ski passes - I'm not sure of the details but I believe the passes are free for under 15s staying in the region for more than a couple of days.

I will also be in Ski Amade that week. Why? Because I too have 3 kids and the lift passes are free saving around 600 euros. I think Sue is correct in that it is for 15 and under, but still makes a difference to you. Conditions will vary, but we were there last year at the same time and had some of the best snow of the season. Bit slushy by 3 O'Clock but great to have Apres in the sunshine!!
ski holidays
drex, so where did you go? did you drive? Did you need snow tyres? How did the kids get on? How was the snow and skiing?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy