Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

2nd discipline - snowboard or telemark???

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys...be interested in your view/experience on a dilemma I'm facing. After 2 years slog (but brilliant fun) I'm a kick in the pants away from getting my ISIA (on skis). This season I'm doing a part I've left till last (as don't get as much snow-time as I'd like) - the 2nd discipline. I'm considering snowboarding or telemark - I've done neithor before. I need to get to a junior instructor level from scratch - teach the fundamentals - ski a red run in control, that type of thing.

Appreciate any insights on learning a new discipline and wanting to get to a competent standard quickly - which one would you choose? Many thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
dg3, I can just about mastering walking. Sorry as this is absolultley no help whatsoever.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
dg3, Whichever one you choose - you'll have to spend quite some time doing it - so pick the one that appeals to you most. Mine was telemark, but I had been doing that for several years (even to the point of giving up Alpine). Not sure what level you need to get too, 'junior instructor' sounds a bit high.

I guess with Tele, a lot of the fundamentals (i.e. two skis instead of 1 tray) stay the same, and if you have some old skis, you can nail on some tele bindings and save yourself some dosh. The other side of tele is that it's quite counterintuitive if you have an Alpine background (well it was for me anyway), but mostly it's best to choose the one you'll enjoy most.

Hope that helps...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Don't know about telemarking but I'm sure you'll find boarding easy enough and great fun too. My boarding instructor said that amongst the many advantages is it has made easy slopes fun again. I suspect that telemarking at the junior instructor level is more technical than boarding. I also suspect that telemarking students would generally be fairly experienced alpine skiers already and be likely to examine their instructor with the more critical eye. wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Telemarking is the most demanding physically so if your legs can take it I would go tele'
It is a much better way to get around the hill. Most boarders I know have come round to this way of thinking when they want to get out there and have reverted back to skiing or tele. But as I say, learning tele is a young mans game. Just think lunges, the whole turning thing is a lunge..!!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

But as I say, learning tele is a young mans game

Dammn - that's me out then ! Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
great stuff, thanks guys....think I'd love to be able to tele - but I'm veering towards boarding, as I think I'll get the most fun out of it, for the amount of input I'll be able to put into it. Think the cut is being able to ski a red in control and be able to talk through the fundamentals of teaching - how hard can that be wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I went with boarding but I think one thing worth considering is if you want to teach your 2nd disc. If you want to have something that makes you more appealing to a ski school you want to work for go for boarding - more and more people are learning it and certainly in my experience there are not enough instructors who are willing to teach skiing and boarding. Is likely to get you more work in quiet weeks.

I also think it is good to do something totally different to your first disc. - I found it very humbling standing at the top of a green run with a tray strapped to my feet thinking it looked a bit steep! Good to know how the people you are teaching (boarding or skiing) are feeling when you think they are just being a bit pathetic sliding down a flat looking slope.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
waitingforwinter, Good points... don't go thinking that tele won't humiliate you the way a snowboard can. It will.................. snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
dg3, Why is there a requirement for a second discipline for the ISIA qualification? Seems mighty tough to me after all the effort, cost & time put in to pass the skiing section. Perhaps this is one of those 'barriers to entry' often dreamt up by many professions.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
waitingforwinter, thanks top tips - how long did the boarding take you to develop???
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
spyderjon, honestly, I agree with you spyderjon - at this stage ie. near the end of getting ISIA it's a tough one to justify. But with my pragmatic head on and once achieved, I'll probably wax lyrical about a rounded view of snowsports required at a high level of instruction. But yes, I'd rather be spending the time race training just now, preparing GS technique/fitness for grade 1 tests....
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
dg3, That would be exactly my view point as well - moan about it like mad before hand & then spout the virtues afterwards.

Once qualified you could start lobbying that all future ISIA's in skiing need to have both the board & tele qualifications. Existing ISIA's would of course be exempt from this requirement Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
spyderjon, like it and maybe add in luge, figure skating and pylon padding wink ...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
boarded on and off during last season - probably did 3-4 weeks in total over the season.

spyderjon, it does have its virtues. I said - good for employment prospects and very humbling - but I do agree it is a mighty fine hassle to add to all the other things you have to do!

dg3, If you are thinking of working in France have you got the news about the test technique? Apparently from season 06/07 grade 3s will be able to teach in France but they will hvae to pass the TT first. As will all ISIA'a wanting to work as stagieres. Worth knowing cause this is the last season you have to apply for you card to work in France as an ISIA without taking the TT.

Every year they will find something else for us to have to do - it is just the way it is. I wonder what will be next. Presumably something nice and obscure - perhaps figure skating is not so far from the truth
snow report
waitingforwinter, interesting cheers - sorry for being dumb - but is the TT the speed test or is it some other French evaluation - maybe the test of not dropping one's fondue dipper, whilst smoking a galuoise, sipping at a pastii, all while nonchantly whipping along at mach II down a black...
latest report
The test technique is like the speed test - only different! I think, but don't quote me on this, it is a timed slalom run rather than a gs that the frenchy trainees have to take before they can work as stagieres and start training for the speed test.

just another discipline to master! Worth getting in with working this season if you can though! I don't know how hard it is to pass compared to the speed test but I am sure it would involve a certain amount of slalom training.

(I think sipping a pastie is the one you need for the Cornish Ski Instructor's Association Laughing)
latest report
dg3, Definitely go for boarding - lots and lots of employment possibilities. Tele is really good fun, but you'll probably never get a lesson to do in it.

Test Technique is a slalom race that you must complete before doing the first ski teaching course in france. When you've passed you can then go on and do your Preformation which is equivalent to a Grade 3. You need TT to work as a stagiare at 3 level and it's not that hard to achieve.

Pity they don't count snowblades for 2nd discipline. Bit of a laugh this summer (I got it all done before all this hassle), when I bumped into a class of Grade 1's brushing up on the one day per year that I was giving a snowboard lesson!! NehNeh NehNeh Lots of comments about "2nd discipline etc"!! BTW I was the first ski teacher in Aviemore to snowboard - never did like it though. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
ski wrote:
Quote:

But as I say, learning tele is a young mans game

Dammn - that's me out then ! Laughing

Dont rule it out on the age thing. I started aged 40, and just like any new sport it takes a while for the muscles to get used to the new strains put on them.
Many of the principles are the same - about the only difference is even weight distribution between both legs.

Managed to get down a black run after about 6 days on tele skis. (OK, so it wasn't pretty Very Happy )

And you can still do parallel turns on tele skis and bindings.

Edit to add: And tele is a growth industry. I read somewhere that it had the biggest % of market growth than any other area of the ski industry.
snow report
dg3, I may have missed something, but how about adaptive? Probably have missed someting, blame the beer. Puzzled
latest report
Quote:

And tele is a growth industry. I read somewhere that it had the biggest % of market growth than any other area of the ski industry.

I am always a bit sceptical of stats like that - sounds great but what are the actual figures. I know it is not as extreme as this but if you have one person doing something and one other takes it up that is a 100% growth - of course figures like that are going to be good for a minority sport. I am not against tele's butif you are thinking about getting work it is worth seeing what are the figures behind a %age stat
snow conditions
Quote:

And tele is a growth industry. I read somewhere that it had the biggest % of market growth than any other area of the ski industry.

I am always a bit sceptical of stats like that - sounds great but what are the actual figures. I know it is not as extreme as this but if you have one person doing something and one other takes it up that is a 100% growth - of course figures like that are going to be good for a minority sport. I am not against tele's butif you are thinking about getting work it is worth seeing what are the figures behind a %age stat
ski holidays
easiski, yip I agree snowboard does seem to be the logical 'commercial' discipline to do - 1st ever boarder teacher in Cairngorm eh - v. cool. Dave J, want to do tele as well - maybe when I get more time in the hills to play in a few years. Dunk, yip adaptive is a good option too- it's one my wife is planning to do. Thanks again guys. D
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy