Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How to tour? (cars not skins)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've still got an urge to tour the Maurienne valleyresorts this winter. Many thanks to all those who contributed to a topic about that last winter.

I've got one logistics questions to ask. Is it better to move on to the next resort by...
a) packing in the morning, checking out then and at the end of the skiing day driving to new hotel/apt in time for dinner
b) or, to check out real early, drive to new resort first thing, ski and then check in in the afternoon.
c) Stay, dine, pack, check-out, drive and arrive real late.

I can see pros and cons on all the ways but wondered if anyone had practical experience of this kind of touring. Will it boil down to when apts/hotels want you to check in/out

Cheers
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
SussexSnow, Bearing in mind the fickle weather in the Alps, I would check out early morning and get on the road, and treat any ski-ing on the change-over day as a bonus frankly. I personally have twin-centred Val d'Isere with Alpe d'Huez and with Verbier on another occasion. However you don't appear to be planning to go far in any one day, and in this case I would still opt to leave in the morning and hope to get a couple hours on the slopes in the afternoon.

Interested to hear your chosen resorts in the Maurienne Valley.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the thoughts - i've been lucky on the road front on my forays to the Alps. Only got stuck for 5 hours in a sunday night blizzard in Andorra.

Maurienne Resort. I've been looking at the IGN maps, resort sites etc. Les Sybelles is big and offers some potential for exploring. You've got the lift to Val Thorens from Orelle as Insurance (and the Plan Bouchet valley it accesses is my favourite spot.) Val Cenis looks good, up to 2,800m, runs above and below the tree line. Ditto for Valloire. The small stations just look fun. Bonneval, right at the head of the valley has a lift going up to almost 3000m and the terrain looks steep. Same for Aussois.

I think you could spend two days in Les Sybilles, a day in VT for the 3V, single days at Valloire/Valmenier. Val Cenis and add up the rest in half days.

The key to unlocking it is the Maurienne Ski Sans Frontiere pass. Five days for £50. BA to Turin midweek for £68 all in, and a apt for 178 Euros.

Just got to sell it to the friends.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
SussexSnow, Only skied 3 V nearby. There must a lot good little resorts around in the Alps which the big operators don't use. In Switzerland there is pass valid for the whole of Valais - have a look at http://www.valais-skicard.ch/. I would not put you off the Maurienne which sounds great, but just to let you know if you like exploring sometimes unfashionable resorts Valais and other lesser know parts of Switzerland may fit the bill.

If Ise picks up on the thread I am sure he can add a lot of info - I know he likes the Val d'Anniviers region of Valais http://www.sierre-anniviers.ch/index.cfm?&Langue=en.

Switzerland, except for eating out, IMHO is no more expensive than France, but the quality is top-notch.

Have you got any good links for the Maurienne - it would be interesting to have a look?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy