Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do you carve? Truly? How much of the turn?

Poster: A snowHead
Someone ducked an obvious thread segue some days ago but I'm afraid I can't resist.

IIRC and IMHO I reckon I carved most of my turns before "carvers" hit the scene. And carved through pretty much the whole of the turn. At least when I made the effort. Sometimes laziness almost certainly got in the way!!

Clearly now modern skis mean carving has been brought to the masses. Or, at least, turn initiation has been. I think my observation is that while your average skier now starts their turn properly, I'm not convinced they're finishing them. The problem has simply changed.

What do you think. Do you carve "properly"? Do you complete your turn every time? If not, why not? (203cm SL skis are not an excuse...wink )

[Obviously, bumps, powder, extreme steeps, etc. can be excluded from the discussion]
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
David Murdoch,

Naughty,

As I don't spend a lot of time of piste, carving doesn't hold a great deal of interest to me.
My second private lesson was all about carving and I got enough from that to refer back to it again and again.
It was in 1987 and I was on 2m Course GS skis. That was damn hard work and I wouldn't like to boast I even managed good complete carved turns. In fact I'm sure I didn't. I then started to use Superforce 3s off-piste (61mm waist..!!!) but could get them to dig in on-piste. Not exactly a carvers ski tho'.

After that I spent most of the time on the Grand Montets so needed a good all-rounder..Xscreams, again not best for carved turns. I only really bother now when I have slalom skis out and reckon to stay on edge pretty much throughout the turn, otherwise a turn is a turn to me, to be used when and how I want. If I want to look posey I can do ok but I'm more interested in the steeps as that really sorts you out.

The number of times we've been joined by a very good piste skier who has totally lost it to such an extent they have left us by lunchtime makes me chuckle about the nature of your question.
Don't get me wrong I am not saying we are the masters of the hill...not in a million - but there is a world of difference carving reds and other skiing and my emphasis is on the more steep stuff. Once you have skied a bit and know what actually turns a ski then getting them on edge isn't the problem, completing the turn successfuly is more difficult. But I repeat I see very few people carving great turns, in fact you are more likley to see a boarder really laying them down than a skier in my recollection. You tend to notice people when they can do that.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Honest answer, I'm not sure. Sometimes I look back and see well defined tracks and sometimes it's felt right and I look up and hmmm. Some people are amazing. John Thomas of Vallandry JohnNewGen can do a pure carve at low speeds on the flat barely turning his skis, if his tracks are anything to go by! rolling eyes
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Once you are into a carved turn isn't it easier to complete it than to rotate the ski and skid? I've always thought that initiating a purely carved turn was more difficult than completing it.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 17-09-05 18:08; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My apologies... Laughing Laughing

Respect to you for taking 3Vs hors piste!

It is an interesting point of view that you observe. IMHO, carving and the ability to do so properly is a fundamental ski skill - not of course the only one and not necessarily (in the modern context I don't think) terribly useful in deep snow. But, I do see what you mean. Good "piste skier" is by no means necessarily a good "skier". Steeps, deeps and bumps sort the pussies from the tigers everytime. Let me hasten to add that while I might wink, I'm not necessarily a tiger...

Having said all that, excuse me while I make my fence just a little more comfortable, one of my personal gurus and an all round god of snow is firmly of the opinion that all turns are based on the same one - a carved one. Ergo, important to be able to do as a base for developing other turn forms.

JT, do you still hang out mostly above Argentiere? I will be very jealous if you do.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:
Once you are into a carved turn isn't it easier to complete it than to rotate the ski and skid? I've always thought that initiating a purely carved turn was more difficult than completing it.

I think most people find it easier to start than finish in fact. Modern carving skis should drop into a carve fairly easy, most people bail towards the end of the turn mostly for more instinctive and psychological reasons than technical ones. Look from a chair lift at the people on the slopes and it's very, very rare to see a pure carve turn. Mostly there's no real point though, it's pretty hard to find slopes with the space to carve the whole slope, but, if you can do it then railing down at speed is pretty cool.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 17-09-05 20:17; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I agree with ise - it's easier to start in a carve than finish in one.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Why is it difficult to finish a carved turn?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
slikedges, because a properly carved turn will accelerate your momentum and unless you're prepared to use that and roll to initiate the next downhill turn . . . you will wash-out the tails to reduce speed.
Don't ask me to do it 'cos I's a wuss who, by some accounts, should not be allowed on the hill. Confused
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Masque, I agree, but not if you turn uphill a bit, which is what I do if I'm picking up too much speed. As a self-confessed old-style skier, I've always had difficulty with the pure carve initiation. I've climbed back up the hill with a BASI I, to be shown how my tracks show a clean carve thru the whole turn except for a blurring just at the point of initiation. On a difficult slope I've noticed that blurring does indeed translate to a momentary but crucial loss of carved control whilst trying to get back into the groove.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
David Murdoch,

If I go through the valley we would rather do Envers and the like than the GM. I'm a bit fed up with the crowds so we will normally pass through on our way to Monterosa. Even though the Midi can get silly on a good day, they all go down the classic vallee blanche so I would rather spend a couple of days there as you know the variations you can get. Envers du plan in good snow is my most favourite route it has everything, we even saw a Norwegian telemarker fall off an ice bridge into a crevasse. He was ok, his guide pulled him out. I love the couloirs after the Requiem Hut for example, all that type of stuff really excites me and it teaches you to be prepared and not take liberties. I would like to do more high alpine skiing. I know people will say the this is what Chamonix is all about but we just need a break. I love the stuff Phil Ingle does but as a group we wouldn't be upto it.

As my skiing emphasis is on the above, carving doesn't hold too much interest for me.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
JT, cool. I am really, really keen to get into more of that kind of stuff. Debating whether my next pair of boots should be the new hybrid tourers. Aha, gear thread coming up...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
David Murdoch,

I agree, I would like to do more but although the rest of the group could do the climbing bit some would struggle with the skiing. I would back go to Chamonix tomorrow if someone would prep me for the likes
of the Couloir Cosmiques.
I think I could do it but you never know about the conditions etc. I could easily get talked into it tho'.

What would be on your list?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Murdoch, JT, have either of you bought yourself Anselm Baud's guide to the Chamonix valley? I've spent many happy hours gawping at that - I'm sure you could too snowHead

Can I join in on the list too?

Realistic - Armancette Glacier from Domes de Miage

Semi-realistic - Glacier Rond (Cosmiques looks pretty good too...), Mont Blanc by Aiguille Grises

Not- v realistic - Couloir Infernet (Oisans region)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Arno, David Murdoch,

Since this thread is hijacked I will open up another with the title along the lines of "Skiing wish list"
snow report
Actually I think most people (especially people who learnt on straight skis), find it harder to initiate their carved turn - the desire to "do" something to start the skis turning is virtually irrisistable for most people. Having said that - it's true that many people don't finish a carved turn properly, and wish to scrub off speed. If you go back uphill in the carve you're still going bl**dy fast, but I agree with Ise that on the rare occasions when you do have the space it's great fun and very cool. Cool

Anyway, the whole point is not to carve all the time but to be able to vary your turns, so that you can carve all or part of any turn at will. JT, I don't agree that carving has no place off piste - you can do it just as well there as anywhere else - whether you'd want to is another matter!! rolling eyes
snow report
easiski wrote:
Actually I think most people (especially people who learnt on straight skis), find it harder to initiate their carved turn - the desire to "do" something to start the skis turning is virtually irrisistable for most people.

Embarassed That's me! Instictively I seem to do all sorts of bad things when I should just focus on weight transfer at cross over. Popping up from an unnecessary pole plant; body rotation; foot rotation; swinging the tails around; etc. Anything other than than just focus on transferring from one edge to another Embarassed

This season I will mostly be focusing on edge change and turn shape...
ski holidays
If I am riding down the piste I can just relax and let them run. I am most likely to do this when my legs are shot from the day and I want to get down on the home run. On most other slopes I will probaby ininiate the turn. Whatever it takes, for me.
snow conditions
Arno, Do you mean the "hundred best descents of the northern alps?" If so, yes I do. The sad thing is that many of the descents are now pistes, especially round the PDS. One fun point is that Anselme's brother is still the lift operator of the Fys chair from Nyon to Pleney. A very pleasant chap, even if he did refer to me as one of "les anciennes" last season. Git! - I'm not THAT old.

JT, wish list? Helis - as in 360 spins. Park - inverted tricks. Off-piste? to be bombproof in everything (I am not at the moment!)

Generally? I would really like to get ISIA qualified but as a major motivation is free lift passes (and an over inflated ego) and I have no interest in teaching probably not the best aspiration. More interestingly, I am interested in getting qualified enough to ski patrol at weekends. I reckon french pisteurs are some of the most awesome skiers.

Furthermore... the better 0.5 and I are planning to relocate to Geneva in the next 12 months meaning that's maybe a more realistic ambition.

Others? Chile. Argentina. Much, much more randoneee. Haute Route. Getting my head round couloirs you have to drop more than 3 feet into. A kit manufacturer who will make shell pants in colours other than black. Lime green and sherbert orange would be much appreciated.

All I can think of right now, except winning a major lottery and being able to ski more than the paltry 60 days I managed last year.
snow conditions
David Murdoch, nope - it's quite a new book. came out in French a couple of years ago and English in the last year or two (I have both versions Embarassed ). S&R stocked it last year:

http://www.snowandrock.com/products/image_popup.asp?product_sku=ECOBA
snow report
Arno,

Haven't seen that, I'm stuck on the 'Hors Piste' book which is interesting enough for me.
But thanks for the tip, I'll go and look for it...!!
snow conditions
JT, it's v good. it has all the bigger descents from Hors Piste, but with better pictures and descriptions. it also has loads of crazy stuff which you can just look at in awe
snow report
Arno, Interesting, muct acquire for Bro-in-law's Xmas, if not for myself!
snow report
Having spent a lot of time in lessons I think I know what a properly carved turn looks like (in progress, and in the resulting tracks). Not that I can actually pull one off, mind. rolling eyes

But I have noticed that a lot of standard recreational slope users "think" they can carve when they really haven't a clue about how modern skis work, or the finer points of the technique. I've been present when someone in my group announced they were going to "carve" down a nice big wide hard blue piste and proceeded in only crouching down, going fast and skidding most of her turns.

Having carver skis is not automatically going make you "carve" if you don't ready know how to....

slikedges, wouldn't there necessarily be a blurring because of the split-second during the cross over (i.e between changing from one edge or t'other) when the ski is technically flat on the snow? Surely this must cause at least some fractional blurring, even for a very proficent skier.
ski holidays
Manda, Nope - on a 'pure' carved turn you'll see the tracks of the skis clearly even when they are flat. The only reason they'll be blurred is 'cos you are going sideways - i.e. skidding. Sad

But - yes you are right, this is very hard to do Very Happy
latest report
Er, yes, if the snow's deep enough, even a straight line when the ski is not on edge would show "tracks". But assume you are carving properly, and not intending to have a straight run in between turns. If the surface's nice & hard, technically the ski wouldn't leave tracks during the (albeit remarkably breif) transition phase, because by definition there'd be no edge in contact with the snow. My guess is the idea is that one becomes so proficent at the transition, that the distance of unmarked snow becomes so small as to be almost impossible to identify.

Sorry, am I being pedantic again?
latest report
Manda wrote:
Surely this must cause at least some fractional blurring, even for a very proficent skier.

I believe (therefore it will be wrong) that the point is there is no blurring - as you go from one turn to another, there will be a stage where the skis are both flat - but still not skidding - the direction of travel will still be purely in the direction of tip to tail.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 19-09-05 17:38; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Manda,

It is for me, but thats why I 'ducked' this thread
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sorry, I meant to mean that there would be no "track" at all (c.f. a blurring as such).Doh!

as in

"carve" (tracks in snow)

moment during transition when no edge is in contact (no tracks in snow)

carve (tracks in snow again).

Although if there was enough snow, you technically would see the "track" of the flat ski during the transition.

Am off to think up more pendantry.... Toofy Grin
latest report
Manda, On the kind of slope one has a lesson on, I've been shown how I've had two nice smooth progressively rounded carving tracks over a couple of turns except at the point of transition when there is a blurring of maybe 50cm (nevertheless with a smooth and continuous arc extrapolated between the 2 disconnected segments). This compared to the instructors tracks which are seemingly uninterrupted. I conclude that a) he's better than me and b) properly executed, an edge change does not generate a big enough disturbance in the snow to leave a track significantly different from a continuous carve. I'm not skidding. The blurring of the track was because my skis weren't pressured as I did a subtle old style initiation, which hopefully I've now overcome.
ski holidays
easiski wrote:
Perhaps I could have a magic measuring machine at the PSB to measure how much of everyone's arc is carved, and what percentage of the time on what percentage of slope they managed this???? Puzzled Puzzled

Simplest thing in the world.

Trim some touring skins to about 50mm width and glue them on backwards.

Twisted Evil
snow report
Completing your turn everytime? The only time I don't is if I want to stop or slow down a little then a bit of spray is ok, apart from that I find using a strong extension or natural bump gets me through the transition to the next carve. Having learnt to ski fairly recently I find carving is very natural all you have to do is roll your ankles over, get your weight set correctly and make sure your lean is appropriate for your speed. Embarassed

I find carving on (quiet) greens and blues is great fun and you can really motor along without too much fear. Reds are a little different as I find that I get up to too quick a speed and not being able to see over that blind crest you're never sure if there are a couple of classes, bunch of boarders sat down or a mogul field waiting for you; I've had plenty of experiences of all 3 unfortunately. Carving down blacks is just lunacy! Twisted Evil

Cheers
ski holidays
Quote:

Carving down blacks is just lunacy!

Yes, but possible. Depending on snow quality, carved turns can be executed on steeps. Takes a good degree of balance and precision tho. The very idea scares the living cr@p out of me - have only ever seen it done on film.
ski holidays
I'd say I carve all the way on nearly all the turns I try to (which is most turns on piste). The challenge is the transition from the end of one turn (when you're going up hill) into the next turn when the process is quite subtle* and beyond 90-odd % of skiers I see. Without getting this right, you skid after releasing the old downhill and before the new downhill is fully engaged.

*progressively realeasing the pressure on the old downhill ski, tipping and allow your CM to fall down the hill.

I'd not claim that I used to carve most turns on old 200cm slalom skis - it was only the new technology that really gave me the confidence to get this technique reliably right. Now I find that I can carve quite steep and narrow pistes (not couloirs!) by angulating hard and pressuring my ski - certainly sections of black runs.

I'd agree that while I don't carve many turns off-piste IN FULL, carving is still and important technique. On fairly hard, steep off-piste I tend to finish a short-turn with a carve and use the pressure that builds up to bounce me into the next turn - not really jumping, just using the energy in the tails. The other time I sort of carve is when I'm taking big GS style arcs through moderately angled crud. I say sort of because lots of the time I'll use a little bump to get my skis unweighted rather than carve all the way round.

J
latest report
jedster, why are you going uphill?
snow report
David Murdoch wrote:

To complete the turn/take off speed often means going back uphill when your really hooning it. I think that sweeping back uphill is one of the joys of carving. You have to watch for traffic though Shocked
snow report
KInda defeats the object tho'.

I think carved turns on a lot of runs would involve way too much speed after a few turns and you would have to scrub it off with a few violent short ones..!!
snow report
spyderjon wrote:
David Murdoch wrote:

To complete the turn/take off speed often means going back uphill when your really hooning it.

That's rather begging the question of why do the carved turn in the first place then - if you need to slow down, scrub off speed with a bit of a slip.....simple.

OK maybe not so many kudos points, but far easier.

Edit: Ah - great minds thinking alike Wink . Also you don't use up nearly so much pistewidth, and it's far more useful to practice getting down that steep slope as close to the fall line as possible.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 12-10-05 13:12; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Who knows?

If you'd asked me 10 years ago if I carved I'd have thought that I did most of the time (when conditions were appropriate).
If you'd asked me 5 years ago I'd have realised that I was wrong and that I was only just getting it.
Now I realise that I wasn't quite as good as I thought I was 5 years ago, but I think I'm really getting the hang of it now.

So basically I'm clueless Smile
ski holidays
JT wrote:
I think carved turns on a lot of runs would involve way too much speed after a few turns ...

Not if you complete the turn!
If you are increasing your speed as you make a series of turns, then that may well point to you coming out of the turn too early. Complete the turn and maintain the speed.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy