Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Brides-les-bains

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone know much about Brides-les-bains

Plenty of runs etc

Or should i get a 3 valleys pass

cheers, late deal possibly, need to book it asap
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There are no runs in Brides-les-bains. You need to take the gondola to Meribel. Around 25min.
So yes you need 3 Valleys pass or at least Meribel pass.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It would drive you mad to do that gondola ride every day before you even got to the resort and again in the evening.
A nice enough small spa town, though, and I was once able to ski to it when there was a huge dump and everything higher up was closed.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you set off early in the morning from the Gondola & remember to make the gondola down as the taxi is very expensive then its no problems. 20 minute ride in the gondola takes you to a central hub called Chaudanne & from there all colours of runs are available. The 3 valleys pass in my mind is the best value as you can travel to where the best conditions are that day as the the end of the gondola at Meribel is central to the 3 Valleys.

The gondola ride can be a bit tiresome however having stayed in Brides les Bains for the last 2 years we find it acceptable as it can be considerably cheaper than higher up.

Hope you enjoy, we always have. Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
try google next time
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It's fine, and a lot cheaper than most of the others in the 3 valleys. As above - do not miss the last ride down!!!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

try google next time

rolling eyes
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Indeed rolling eyes
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I went once (albeit a few years ago now) and would not go again - not something I have said about any other place I've stayed for skiing.

As snowball says - the gondola ride gets very tedious (especially if it stops due to bad weather) and the town is dead. You can't relax in the Apres bars in Meribel as you are worried about the last lift down.

But there is no doubt it is cheaper than staying in Meribel.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I keep recommending Brides in the several threads about it round here. Trouble is, the majority of folks can't stand the 22 minute bubble ride so it tends to get a bad press.

So let me extol its virtues once again:
* bubble ride directly to Meribel and the heart of the 3V system
* eg. only 2 lifts to the top of the Saulire
* bubble starts 30 mins before rest of system so you can still beat most folks to the top
* use the ride to plan your day
* real French atmosphere
* low altitude (600m) means a good nights sleep and more energy for the day
* quiet location
* easy to get to
* relatively cheap

BUT don't miss the last ride down. There is a free bus to Les Allues but from there you'll need to walk(!), hitch, get a taxi or perhaps phone your hotel. Also, not suitable for those wanting to get drunk with a load of noisy Brits every night.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 24-02-12 10:32; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
altis Just to balance my own anti-Brides post - I don't disagree with any of the positives you state there.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
To add to the above - a great cheap base for the 3 Valleys. With first lift you can be in Meribel before the first lifts there.

It is possible to ski down to Brides (from the Altiport area in meribel) but this is 'offpiste', though well signposted and very much skier pisted by now. There are some sections of narrow path through the trees and it is quite a long way down (but worth doing once, though better in powder than on firm snow Happy ).

Depending on how long you are there for and how much slope mileage you need the Meribel valley pass may be enough, though the 3V pass will give you more options.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Obviously this assumes having a car, but isn't it pretty easy to commute by car from Brides? I've only stayed there for one night and thought it was a lovely little place. I'd be very tempted to stay there for my next trip to the 3V.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have stayed in Bride-Les-Bains, and skied The Three Valleys, for two weeks every season for the past eight years.

Brides-Les-Bain is becoming any increasingly popular location for skiers since it is far cheaper than Meribel etc. I like it because I have got to know lots of the local bar and shop-keepers. Something I never really did in my many years staying in Meribel.

Eight years ago you hardly saw another skier in Brides, but now it is swarming with them. Despite this, the ski season is still the quiet season for Brides. Being a spa town it is far busier, and prettier, in the Summer.

The Olympic lift that takes you up to the Chaudanne area of Meribel is something that I have grown to enjoy in the morning. It allows me the time to make all my telephone calls to home and work. It is sometimes a bit of a pain making sure you catch the last lift home, but there are a couple of reasonable bars in Brides for an apres ski drink. If I am really desparate to stay up in Meribel to sample the far better apres-ski then I will take a taxi back. If the cost is shared between a few of you then it is not too expensive as a rare treat. If your French is good you might even be able to convince the bus driver of the late bus to Moutiers to drop you off on the B-L-B by-pass, leaving you with a 15 minute walk back to the centre of town.

I have never experienced the Olympic lift being closed due to bad weather.

It is possible to ski from Meribel to Brides Les Bain, but only when there is enough snow! This is rare. Also the route is off-piste through the woods along hikers paths. It is signposted, but pretty poorly. It is not a route for the inexperienced or faint-heated skier. I completed the route for the first time in January 2012. I won't rush to try it again.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 24-02-12 10:26; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I think the point is that different folks look for different things. Brides is not like most 'resorts' that Brits go to with all their (expensive) attractions. I'd suggest it's more of a practical place from which to go skiing. I'm not knocking people preferences. I just want to highlight the good and bad points so that folks can see if they match their requirements.

I note that Ski Weekends (see ads) have a big place there. I imagine that easy coach access and price are their top considerations. Also, Jagged Globe and our own offpisteskiing accommodate guests there for their 3V off piste courses. Here I imagine that mountain access and price are important. It's only 2 lifts to the Saulire and most of Courchevel, and 4 lifts into Val Thorens. And I can't see such course-goers needing much Apres activity!
snow report
I considered staying in BlesB for a short trip in January but bound that some of the low ski in ski out resorts like La Tania were much the same price. That made it a no-brainer for me because the ski in makes life much better. In fact I think i could make a reasoned argument that you are better off in one of the low resorts in the 3v. I thought La Tania had significant advantages over Val Thorens where we stayed last time we were in 3v.

For one thing, you don't have to worry about the last lifts too much. If you are in VT, you need to start thinking about your trip back at around 2:30, maybe 3:30 depending on how far afield you are and how fast you move. In one of the lower resorts however you can relax because you really just need to be in the right valley and then all roads lead down to your home resort. It means you can relax and comfortably ski until 4:30 or whatever.
snow report
The Olympic lift to Brides-Les-Bains is the last lift to stop running. It closes at least 30 minutes after any other lift in the Meribel/Mottaret valley. You will only miss it if you are really not paying attention!

I agree with Monkey that the problem with Val Thorens is that it is towards the top of a valley instead of towards the bottom. It is difficult to ski upwards from other resorts lower down the same valley, if you've missed the last lift!
ski holidays
altis wrote:
our own offpisteskiing accommodate guests there for their 3V off piste courses.

and very good they are too! I enjoyed my stay in B-les-B so much two years ago, I went back for the same week again last year. I agree very much with altis and Mr Marmot, and quite enjoyed the Olympic lift - getting psyched up for the first runs in the morning and a gentle unwind in the evening. With a 17:30 last lift down there was even enough time (unless you were really pushing it) for a biere or vin chaud in Meribel before getting it as well. YMMV, but unless you're really looking for a "Club 18-30" style trip I'd not be put off by the negatives.
snow report
kioksor wrote:
try google next time

Thanks for that, but if you read the post google cant answer the question, because google trawls the net for lots of different snipits and places them in about a guzillion different pages.

Surely forums like this are for people to come to and ask real people about real like experiences, just read a few of the posts and I' m sure you'll get the idea.

But I appreciate the genuine replies, it just so happens I got a good deal to go to les duex alpes
snow conditions
Esdel,
Quote:

Surely forums like this are for people to come to and ask real people about real like experiences
Indeedy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy