Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why do you need ski insurance ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
AndAnotherThing.., no, it's separate. In La Giettaz you can buy it at the lift pass kiosk but I think in other places you buy it at the ESF office or something like that. You do not have to buy it with a pass.

And it lasts until October.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
AndAnotherThing.., Carré Neige is resort dependent and you buy it with your ski pass, it is valid for the duration of your pass.

Carte Neige applies to any resort, and you buy it from your local ski club, it lasts for one year from October-October.
ski holidays
 cran
cran
miranda wrote:
cranit is worth thinking about. My dad had a severe stroke - no known pre-existing condition - in his late 40s in Colorado and was unable to leave for 6 months. I dread to think what the medical cost would have been without insurance. Even in Europe with your EHIC picking up much of the tab, that sort of care doesn't come cheap.

If I was skiing in America (or outside Europe) then I would get insurance...

Sorry to hear about your father, hope he has recovered.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
cran, thanks. I know what you mean about the EHIC + Carte Neige... but very long hospital stays do happen to healthy people (serious car accidents for example) and that's what I'm thinking about at the moment as I consider what to do about insurance renewal and whether the EHIC + top up (either CN or AAC) is enough. I see the AAC cover is limited to € 10 000 of emergency medical cover (of which € 2000 is available for out patient treatment). That's probably plenty in conjunction with the EHIC... the CN with €3800 is probably plenty... but... Confused
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hells Bells, Thanks for the clarification - I hadn't noticed the difference. Not seen it on offer with English ski clubs wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
You need insurance for when you fall over on a red run and have to go to the hospital like I did Evil or Very Mad .

The whole thing including the X-rays only cost me 19 Euros. That was all the money I had to hand over.

The rest was paid for by my CN, EHIC and my Private Medical Insurance direct. I am not even sure the 19 Euros is worth claiming back as I think my excess is more than that. I shall have a look.

However, the nice person from Carte Niege that I had to deal with said I could claim the extra money I had to pay back from them if I wished, so in fact it would cost me nothing if I can be bothered to fill in all the forms for such a small amount.

The CN people even said they will provide someone to drive my car home for me and transport me to my home address if the doc says I cannot ski any more and must go home for further treatment. Not bad for just 57 Euro's this season.

So my conclusion, for piece of mind, you do not want to be thinking about money when you are hurt, having some kind of Insurance is very useful. For me it is a combination of EHIC, Carte Niege and Private Medical Insurance.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowcrazy, good to hear about your experience with Carte Neige. I think that may be our option for next season. Whar was covered by your private medical insurance that wasn't covered by the rest?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We had travel insurance and EHIC card,

Was stretchered off the piste - husband had to go back with travel ins details the next day - but we didn't have to pay anything

Transported to hospital from La Toussuire to St Jean de Maurirnne

Several xrays, anaesthetic while they did whatever to relocate arm and get me out of clothes cosy about E100
Husband had to drive to next town to get a sling - E98
All the dealings in France pretty straightforward but now haggling with travel insurance as they wouldn't tell us what options we had for getting me and the kids and car home (hubby was flying to Jordan from Lyon) - implied it only covered getting me home so hubby cancelled his trip and drove us back losing pay and also the business benefits/contacts - now we find out we would have been flown home - he could have left car at Lyon and brought it home 2 days later. We are well out of pocket, but have saved them a fortune (3 flights, half-term weekend at last minute plus taxis at both ends, hotel cancellations, flight changes etc)

More delays due to NHS at home, but hopefully on the right track now - op tomorrow to have pins put in shoulder...and then just time I guess
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skimom, really sorry to hear that - I remember from your "French apartment thread" you saying this is your first trip in a while due to an ankle injury. Hope you get sorted soon and are back on the slopes next year.

snowcrazy wrote:
You need insurance for when you fall over on a red run and have to go to the hospital like I did Evil or Very Mad .

Commiserations, FWIW I'm in the same boat after a fall on a red run rolling eyes Fortunately, like you, I have the triple safety of private insurance, Carte Neige and EHIC. Hope you get back on skis this season.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I read something recently that said that 20% of British tourists skiing have no insurance. (Probably an ins co advertisement, but still...)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy