Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why do you need ski insurance ?

Poster: A snowHead
This should be a sticky.

To state the bleeding obvious !
If you’re going on a ski holiday make sure you carry your EHIC card (free) and take out insurance that includes winter sports cover.

Why am I saying this (I have had his permission to do this BTW)?

If you get lifted off a hill in a helicopter,
Taken to hospital,
Spend a few days there in traction,
Have an operation (with 2 surgeons),
Spend a few more days in hospital,
Book a taxi to take you 250km to the airport,
Get a business class seat (so you have enough room for you and your new pot)

And you don’t have either an EHIC card or ski insurance you will be very sad Shocked

I’m saying no more.

Go on then
OMG – £26.850
Enough said
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Was that the guy who broke his leg last week in several places on his birthday? Friend of a friend.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Colin B,
No, he you are talking about ***** who is still Tione hospital (I'm going down to see him on Wednesday) down the road from Madonna

The other chap is in another hospital - he just went home today (12 days late)
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Brother in law, torn calf muscle on piste

Recovery by skidoo off the piste
Medical centre
strapping and pain killers
Taxi back to accomodation

Total £456, and thats a very minor injury!!!

Good post
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wayne, do you get nothing back from the NHS without having the EHIC in advance? I have one by the way, just wondering if there's any hope of any help for this poor guy?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
miranda,
Not a clue.

Luckily he ain't skint so he paid it off himself.
He said he does fell a bit of a pratt though wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
[quote="Timbobaggins"]
/quote]

are the pain killers for after the nurse gives you a strapping, or before Happy.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
davidof wrote:
/quote]

are the pain killers for after the nurse gives you a strapping, or before Happy.

My guess would be both were required when asked to fork over the best part £500 for a skidoo ride
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wayne wrote:
miranda,
Not a clue.

Luckily he ain't skint so he paid it off himself.
He said he does fell a bit of a pratt though wink

Ah well, at least he's not having to sell his home to fund it or anything then... I was worried that someone who'd skimp on insurance might not have lots of cash. Must be a double pain - one leg in plaster and the other being used to kick himself. Given all the sad news from the mountains this weekend, though, at least he's alive and on his way home.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
strapping, not strap on Very Happy Shocked
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You can get ski insurance for about £10 online. SERIOUSLY why do people risk it?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
What of the costs of recovery from the hill in the UK then?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wayne, scottish guy in next bed to hubby didn't have EHIC, however he did have his NI number, and he did have travel insurance, so they organised the EHIC for him.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A relevant article from Le Dauphine a couple of days ago. The english translation is not great but i think you will get the gist. €50/minute for a helicopter rescue will soon rack the bill up even before hospital costs.

http://www.ledauphine.com/savoie/2012/02/19/vous-skiez-verifiez-que-vous-etes-bien-assure
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I did something to my knee in Meribel last year, bloke came and put me on a stretcher, took me to a waiting ambulance, then to a doctor's office who did an x-ray (in his surgery no bigger than a small shop!) He gave me a prescription for crutches, splint and pain killers and then the killer was the 150 euro taxi trip back round to Les Menuires Shocked

Total was about £1,000. No one was interested in my EHIC, though I had it on me. They wanted cash or credit card up front. I thought I would at least be able to get the prescription things with it, but no. Lucky I had insurance then.
snow report
Friend had a bad fall in Obergurgl a few years ago, stretchered off the piste, into ambulance where the first thing they asked for was a credit card....husband went to visit her in hospital, nurses greeted him as soon as he asked to see her with "Insurance papers please?".

OP, crutches, drugs, transport, flight - about £15k I think it came to, if not slightly more. It's really not worth saving a tenner over is it.
latest report
I remember with the pisteur-secouristes (ski patrol) at Courchevel that the first thing asked for when the person had been brought down to the medical centre at La Croisette was either the lift pass showing the person had insurance or their credit card and being asked to sign a form to agree to pay the charges for the rescue. If the person was on the piste the fee is quite reasonable but off the marked piste the costs rose dramatically.

Interesting to note that if you're really "off-piste" the cost of being recovered by the rescue chopper is normally nothing, free, gratis. I had the experience of being rescued from the top of a rather large tree near Lac d'Annecy following a paragliding incident.

On Radio Bleu Savoie the other morning was a local avocat talking about the increase in accidents caused by collisions. Those who've not been following the "Skiers Code" are opening themselves up to being found liable for damages even though the code isn't inshrined in law. Something to remember if you're hurtling down the piste.
latest report
Yep, you're going to need to come up with payment EHIC or not, if you are injured on the slopes you are pretty certain to end up in a private establishment & if you don't have insurance you are stuffed Sad & pretty stupid rolling eyes
Even a simple walk-in to the local medical centre with a possible fracture that needs xray is going to be C. 250 euro
snow report
Mind you on the flip side, my parents are half tempted to risk no insurance (they won't do worry!) as at 76 and 74, both recovering from cancer, one dodgy heart and 2 replacement knees the quotes they are getting for ski insurance are eye watering to say the least
snow report
Probably party explains why premiums have gone up so much for this year. I still need to sort something for my next trips, I just got a weeks cover for my last one.
ski holidays
Boris, Send them to Austria. Flashed our EHIC at the pisteurs/doctor when oski got stretchered off the hill just before Christmas, and that's all they were bothered about. Still gets expensive if they need to be repatriated..
ski holidays
provenjohn, Not true, smashed my arm in Matrei, partener took me to Lienz casualty a few hours later to have it checked. X rays, scanner, operation to nail it all back together, a huge box of painkillers and an overnight stay. Gave them my EHIC, no problem. Oddly enough they made me pay for my food (!) about 20 euros, interesting to see they use the same caterers as English hospitals Very Happy
latest report
provenjohn, the misses had a MRI scan last week showed them the EHIC and it only cost 69 euros!!!, she is in for her op tomorrow in Albertville, Key hole again showed them the EHIC and they said the op will be 196 euros, now I would say thats a bargain compared to the UK and slightly quicker than waiting 6 months on the NHS for a MRI scan wink Blush Little Angel
snow report
Dudes

in France
CN + EHIC = no need for insurance

ok bye
latest report
Voice of Treason, true in some ways mate but the CN does'nt cover you for ops.
latest report
cockofthenorth, won't the CN pick up the excess for the op not covered by the EHIC?
snow report
miranda, nope the CN is mainly to cover you for getting off the mountain ie body bag or Heli, also which alot of people dont know it will cover you for a taxi to and from the hospital and any travels back to the UK.
ski holidays
miranda, The EHIC card, gives you reduced costs on operations depending on which part of the EU you are in, i think in France its something like 30% of the costs that we pay, so yo could claim that back on you ski insurance if you have it Smile
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Didn't add up total cost but attendance by piste basher, helicopter ride from Hintertux to Schwaz hospital, examination, drugs, wheelchair, crutches and strapping, ambulance taxi to Innsbruck airport and minibus taxi from Manchester to home = a lot of money. I had to give my credit card details to the helicopter crew just in case. I specifically remember the helicopter cost alone was €2954. Not me but the wife who ruptured her ACL as well as breaking a couple of bones. All paid for as were consultations and operations, through her BUPA membership.
ski holidays
Quote:

in France

Leaves you in france though, won't cover you for repatriation
latest report
Carre Neige website says:

Carré Neige reimburses all remaining medical costs not covered by your national health insurance or additional insurance policy, up to 3000 € (with a deductible of 46 €).

If your condition prevents you from traveling normally, Carré Neige will bring you safely home, along with your children under 15, and even take your vehicle home for you if necessary.
snow report
Actually in more detail:

For individuals residing outside of French territory, this indemnity is only paid during their stay in the mountain resort.
The following are not covered: personal and exceptional expenses, prosthesis and eyeglass costs, spa therapy, daily hospital charge, a private room, supplementary doctor's fees and miscellaneous costs (telephone, television, etc.).

REPATRIATION ASSISTANCE

If once his hospital stay is over, the Carré Neige holder is not able to travel in normal conditions, their transport/repatriation shall take place (under medical supervision if necessary) using the most appropriate means, decided upon by Europ Assistance.
Coverage for the children under 15 accompanying the beneficiary if the insured party cannot take care of them due to the implementation of a service by Europ Assistance.
Coverage of the transport of the body of a deceased Carré Neige holder to the place of burial, with the exclusion of all funeral costs.
Provision of a replacement driver to bring the Carré Neige holder's vehicle home. If no one else can do so following the implementation of a service by Europ Assistance.
ski holidays
this is very confusing, and bordering on misleading. I was rescued from the piste a couple of weeks ago. knee injury. EHIC card was a waste of time. I dont understand what it is for. It doesnt cover piste rescue...we got a bill sent to us a week later for €400 (covered by travel insurance). was taken to private clinic - not that i had any choice as that was the only thing on offer. had to pay for xrays and treatment. went to pharmacy and had to buy knee brace and crutches etc. EHIC was shown and they simply shrugged their shoulders. I am not bothered as travel insurance will cover it all but I really dont understand the point of it. If you are french and in the UK you get "immediately necessary treatment" free of charge with no paperwork or anything (I am in an informed position to say this as I work in the NHS). An EHIC card is more use for scraping the ice off the hire car window !!!

total bill about £1000. all covered by travel insurance

they recomended an MRI scan when I got home....I have had this and get results tomorrow...fingers crossed however I suspect the ACL has gone Sad. I am lucky to have BUPA so had MRI withing 4 days of getting home. However I am interested to read about folk who had their scans overseas. is this because the injury was severe and needed immediate attention ? I am wondering why they didnt do one in france ?
snow report
backhojo wrote:
this is very confusing, and bordering on misleading. I was rescued from the piste a couple of weeks ago. knee injury. EHIC card was a waste of time. I dont understand what it is for. It doesnt cover piste rescue

Quite

Quote:
...we got a bill sent to us a week later for €400 (covered by travel insurance). was taken to private clinic - not that i had any choice as that was the only thing on offer.

Not untypical

Quote:
had to pay for xrays and treatment. went to pharmacy and had to buy knee brace and crutches etc. EHIC was shown and they simply shrugged their shoulders.

I'm not surprised. But all your prescription items will have had peel-off stickers on them - for which you can make at least a partial reclaim, putting the stickers on the claim form. In my experience the insurance company did so - and IIRC reduced my excess coats accordingly. (This was in France)

Quote:
I am not bothered as travel insurance will cover it all but I really dont understand the point of it. If you are french and in the UK you get "immediately necessary treatment" free of charge with no paperwork or anything (I am in an informed position to say this as I work in the NHS). An EHIC card is more use for scraping the ice off the hire car window !!!

Bit unfair. You wind up paying the same costs as the French would, if you make the claim (as I believe they have to, too).

Quote:
total bill about £1000. all covered by travel insurance

they recomended an MRI scan when I got home....I have had this and get results tomorrow...fingers crossed however I suspect the ACL has gone Sad. I am lucky to have BUPA so had MRI withing 4 days of getting home. However I am interested to read about folk who had their scans overseas. is this because the injury was severe and needed immediate attention ? I am wondering why they didnt do one in france ?

My MRI was done in the UK.
snow report
backhojo, as you work in the NHS you should be aware that they do provide a lot of really good online information.

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/countryguide/Pages/healthcareinFrance.aspx

You would find, if you used state-provided medical facilities in France, that the EHIC card would make a good deal of difference.

A French person turning up at a BUPA hospital and waving anything in the hope of getting free treatment wouldn't get very far, would they?
snow conditions
so what you are saying is that because the medical facility in resort was private then the EHIC card was no use. if it had been a state facility then it woudl have carried some weight. I guess the problem is that in most ski resorts the clinics are very often private ones !

pam w - whilst the document you have pointed me to is informative it doesnt apply in my case. I presented my EHIC card and it was no use. The document is typically written by someone in the NHS with their head up their ar*e ...like most documents I experience daily !!!! it doesnt mention the practical situation that will occur in a ski resprt where they shrug at your EHIC card !!
ski holidays
Voice of Treason wrote:
Dudes

in France

ok bye

no travel insurance = no cover for travel-related issues such as cancellation, missed flights/connections + no cover for theft/loss of money or documents etc + no public liability cover + no protection under UK FSA as you are dealing with a foreign insurance company.

Personally, I'll stick with the CN/EHIC/Insurance trifecta.
snow report
backhojo wrote:
...pam w - whilst the document you have pointed me to is informative it doesnt apply in my case. I presented my EHIC card and it was no use. The document is typically written by someone in the NHS with their head up their ar*e ...like most documents I experience daily !!!! it doesnt mention the practical situation that will occur in a ski resprt where they shrug at your EHIC card !!

But it does tell you how to recover your prescription costs.
snow conditions
Quote:

it doesnt mention the practical situation that will occur in a ski resort where they shrug at your EHIC card !!

it does make it very clear that it is relevant only for "state-provided" medical care. I suppose that, being British, we expect that to be more ubiquitous than it is in most countries. Ambulances are often private too - I see loads of them at Geneva airport.

However, as your insurance is picking up all your medical costs, it's OK for you, isn't it. But for someone who had decided not to bother with insurance...... a different story.
latest report
The link also says, prominently near the top:

Quote:
It is important that you ensure you are treated by a state healthcare provider as you will not be covered for private healthcare. You should be particularly careful if the healthcare arrangements have been made by a hotel or travel representative.

We found that if you contact your insurance company right at the outset, they will often arrange to meet costs direct. If you start picking up bills yourself, without their authorisation, things can get more difficult. Obviously if someone is critically injured, all that goes out the window, but it really is vital that someone gets in touch with them ASAP.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy