Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Utah or Wyoming??

Poster: A snowHead
Here's the choice (catalysed by a Ski Fresh Tracks e-mailer this morning).

Current plan was a long week based in Park City, Utah sampling local skiing delights inc. guided off piste, going to where the snow is, generally hacking about a bit.

Alternative, FreshTracks "Steeper & Deeper" 12 days package in Jackson Hole.

My experience of both resorts is limited to a couple of days in Park City & Alta (I Luurve Alta!!!) and two days randonnee in the Tetons (Jackson hadn't opened yet).

Badckground: group of about 5-6 competent recreational skiers, all experienced off piste, done the (Canadian) heli thing, like ripping it up a bit. Reluctantly, if drawn, I suppose we might like to consider ourselves in the upper echelons of the SCGB grades - usual SHs "how good are you" caveats of course apply.

Opinions invited please with workings shown and reasons given.

Thanks

DM
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
When were you thinking of taking this trip?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
1st or 2nd week march (yeah should have mentioned that)
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
David Murdoch, my suggestion would be... Jackson Hole.
And my reasons:

1. Excellent back country - get a good guide - speak to Bob Peters on here. He is a true gentleman, and brilliant skier.
2. It's potentially the last chance you'll have to ride the Jackson tram.
3. You've got Grand Targhee just up the road for a bit of variation.
4. The Mangy Moose rocks more than the Pig Pen.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wear The Fox Hat, thank you. I will need to have a think about it now!

I know Teton pass was one oe the US ski magazines #1 unsupported back country areas last year - do you reckon it's better than Utah's?

I should also note one constraining factor is that we have 2 ski Utah packages (Lift passes, guide services, accomodation, instruction) to use up that were bought by drunken friends at charity auctions. (Independently I must add!)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
oh an dis that Bob from Jackson Hole Mountain Guides? I used them when I was there - Georgie and someone else who's name I now completely forget. Both top top guides.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David Murdoch, if only you knew people going to Utah in January for the EpicSki Academy... Wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It looks like a blast. Mind you, there's still the PSB hurdle to be got over... Shock

We are already booked into Morzine in Jan. I probably have this the wrong way round - should have done Utah in Jan for the cold, cold powder and Morzine in March for the Ronnie Rose's on the terrasse at lunchtime.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
go on to epicski.com and ask about this, as some recent posts there, as I recall, suggested Jackson Hole was not great later in the season (ie March) because of its southern facing slopes. Everything is relative and their idea of poorish conditions may not be yours, but check it out
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
David Murdoch,

Tough tough call, can't really help but my gut feeling would be Utah...more choices to chase snow and sounds cheaper than Fresh track's Jackson. Who is guiding for Fresh tracks, do they use local...?

We were looking at Utah in Mar...!!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
JT, no idea about who's taking the Jackson trip. I also have a dis-inclination to group travel when one doesn't know the group. The SCGB grad is for "experts", etc. I know no experts who describe themselves that way...ergo those folks that do describe themselves that war aren't, et. As disucssed ad naus elsewhere.

My inclination is Utah too...and I was totally impressed with Alta. If the powder doesn't fall I think there's more opportunity for unguided steeps. It's a hard life to have such difficult decisions!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
David Murdoch,

Yep, thats what I thought, tough call..!!

Either sounds a dream in good conditions.

If you are used to putting together trips - as I know you are - all you need is a guide and you can get them at the office.
I had a look at the prices of the Jackson trip and it looked a bit over the top. For us we would not necessarily want guiding all day everyday so would want to taylor it ourselves
My thougts on a Utah trip -early days still- would be to base ourselves in SLC and car to wherever took our fancy per day. So not much difference from what we do in the alpes sometimes. I get the impression that there is a lot of skiing within 90mins of SLC so that is where I will start myself

So after Val d'anniviers and Engelberg, Utah could be the Mar trip..!!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
JT,

If the roads are clear, Alta and Snowbird are only 35 to 40 minutes from the SLC airport. If you stay in one of the suburbs like Midvale or Sandy near the entrence to the Cottonwood Canyons it's probably only a 15-20 minute drive to Alta, Snowbird, Solitude, and Brighton. Keep in mind the roads to these resorts are subject to closure from avalanche threat. There are buses that go up from the Midvale/Sandy area and some inexpensive hotels are near bus stops (epicski can be of more help regarding specific hotels). The Park City resorts are probably 35-45 minutes from the Midvale/Sandy area. At least 7 resorts within an hour of SLC and I think Snowbasin is only about an hour. We did a couple of day trips from Park City to Alta. We were parked and ready to ski in about 1 hour -- roads were good. Can't comment much on JH since I've not been. By reputation it would be brilliant if the snow is good, but also by reputation you'd have a higher probability of good snow in UT. Unfortunately, snow is always a crapshoot, but UT is about as safe a bet as anywhere.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JT, planning on basing in Park City as it's a bit more fun than downtown SLC - but clearly a bit further for Alta, etc. The local skiing is pretty fine though. As RISkier, suggests, Park City to Alta is about an hour.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you're heading to Jackson and are looking for something different consider cat skiing at Grand Targhee. The section of the mountain they reserve for cat skiing has some of the best terrain on the mountain and covers 1000 acres. Because so few people have access to the area you can ski powder all day long even a day or two after storm.

The comment on March is partially true at Jackson & Targhee. March can be the best month of the year or the worst. If its a normal winter March traditionally has numerous storms and the best coverage of the year. Unfortunately, if its a warm winter the snow will turn to mush. Since it doesn't have much density youl sink in to dangerous depths......great knee twisting conditions.
ski holidays
RISkier, David Murdoch, Thanx, something to work on.
snow report
David

If you are visiting the Rockies in March, and you are looking at Utah or Wyoming, the choice is very clear cut.

Jackson Hole has a southernish aspect - once the sun comes out in March the off-piste deteriorates rapidly. Jackson is not a place you visit for spring snow. Grand Targhee on the backside of the Grand Tetons would be fine, but I'm assuming by Wyoming you are thinking of Jackson.

In contrast, March is statistically the biggest month for snow in Utah's Wasatch Mountains. The resorts in Little Cottonwood Canyon (Snowbord and Alta) have a better aspect for spring skiing (northerly) plus a base altitude which is (in Alta's case) almost 700 metres higher than Jackson Hole. In spring that altiitude (and temperature) difference makes for a big difference in snow quality.

In March - Utah hands down. Jackson Hole is my favourite resort in North America, but personally I think there are a number of better choices in the USA once you get past late February.

Hope this is helpful.

Kind regards
Powdercat
www.skihimalaya.com
ski holidays
Powdercat, Thanks PC, - I'm pretty sure iit'll be Utah.

DM
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy