Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Maintenance ?

Poster: A snowHead
DB, That was a different thread - and my comments above relate exactly to that thread. To me an Expert skier is a racer or instructor or other type of pro skier, and somebody who is a pro wouldn't have the need to ask such questions.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
FastCarver & Cathy I take your point about confusing people. BUT, Royal did say he was going to go to Xscape every week 'till his trip - so shop servicing could be a bit dear.

e-evans I bought this lot;

Aluminium side angle guide
Diamond stone, coarse/black
Diamond stone, medium/blue
Diamond stone, fine/red
World cup std file
Gummi stone
Aluminium base angle guide
Plastic wax scrapers
nylon brush
Set of vices
An old iron

Total cost about £150, but have serviced my skis (and the wifes) about half a dozen times now so I've nearly got my money back and the kit will last me ages.

And it is VERY EASY TO DO. Honest, the guides take care of 0.5* and everything. snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You've got me worried now!

When I come back from Ski hols I leave my ski's seperated at room temperature (to dry thoroughly) then after a couple of days I lock them together and then put them in their bag and then stand them up in the back of the cupboard under the stairs. Nearly a year or so later they are put into the car and driven to a Ski resort. On arrival they are taken to a ski shop with the words, quick service wax and polish please and I'll be back at 9.00am tomorrow. (or something along those lines.)

After 25+ years the above has not caused any problems.

Where am I going wrong Puzzled

PS. New ski's are purchased when the base is too thin to grind down anymore Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
boredsurfin, you really haven't got the hang of this yet wink

Being stuck in a flat snowless country with little chance to ski mountains regularly, we have to overcompensate by buying as much ski gear as possible. Then we have to talk about it with like minded, snow deprived fools who spend most of the year thinking about the next trip.

You need new skis for each full week spent on the snow with a daily full service carried out by yourself. Tisk!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
marc gledhill, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy LOL. That's the spirit Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
boredsurfin, other than locking the skis togrther and sticking them in a bag, nothing is wrong, really keeping the skis separated will help keep them springy, not putting them in a sealed bag will help keep the edges free of rust, but if only skiing for a week or two I wouldn't service them yourself
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
marc gledhill wrote:
FastCarver & Cathy I take your point about confusing people.

OK, I know I'm not very good at posting funny/amusing/witty things but this post:

cathy coins wrote:
This thread is truly shocking.

I just don't know what to think any more.

Royal is honestly considering, and is willing to admit, that he is only considering ONE ski trip a year Shocked Very Happy

was ALL meant to relate to the fact that Royal is only going skiing once a year. I was not and am not confused about anything else at all on this thread Madeye-Smiley Honest Very Happy

[mutters to self] must work harder at this amusing lark [/ends muttering to self]
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
spyderjon, the last extant official mention of the Felix Process- scroll to bottom.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
comprex wrote:
spyderjon, the last extant official mention of the Felix Process- scroll to bottom.

Thanks for that. One to try I think. Have you ever used that methodology?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Good morning everyone... Im a bit bleary eyed after a week of earlies finished off with watching the phonics last night at the arena so Ive just had a quick scan through the thousand or so replies... sorry if Ive misinterpreted your well meaning posts.

First of all, YEY! my new skis arrived yesterday!

Second of all, I didnt sleep with them last night as the other half made me put them back on the floor, but I had them in sight just in case someone broke into the house !

Thirdly, Im thinkin I may be better to take them to a ski shop first and see if I can pick his brains without him consciously knowing what Im up to, while explaining that....

Yes, Im going to use them just about every week at xscape, on their horrifyingly abrasive fibre glass snow before going on my 2 week holiday to colorado (that's in america im told).
Yes sir I know I should be ashamed that Im only going on one skiing holiday a year, but the other half started talking about using it as a honeymoon, by which, Im assuming she means some sort of wedding ceremony will have to be attended first! Cathy, there are some things I get scared of, and that one makes me shake in my boots !

Thanks for all the replies, Im sure they are all well meaning, but as with another thread I bothered to get involved with, I can see there are some very opinionated folk out there just itching for a non confrontational confrontation by people who are safe and warm inside their well padded comfort zone.
Thanks, but I my job gives me that joy every day or night, face 2 face with people usually 3 sheets to the wind (to coin an old phrase) and you cant argue with a drunk!

It sounds to me that I should be looking at trying my hand at some sort of intermediate servicing to cut down on costs and this sounds like waxing, it cant be that hard can it ?

How do you apply these waxes then?

Not sure about 'tuning the edges', think that job goes to someone who actually knows what they are 'doing' as opposed to 'talking about' !

Thanks in advance.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Royal, take them to a ski shop where they wax and prepare skis, (I imagine a fellow snowHead could point you in the direction of such a shop in your area) tell them you'd like the bases prepared for very cold temperatures with a suitable cold temperature wax, before you leave said shop pick up a wipe or spray on wax, when you go skiing apply spray/wipe on wax according to instructions, often it requires you to polish afterwards (kitchen J cloths useful for this) and then ski, on return from xscape wipe off skis and allow to dry in a warm room, apply spay/wipe on wax and polish as before skis are now ready to use again, if after repeated use at xscape the bases of your skis are starting to show lots of scratches get them back to the shop for another hot waxing, a week before you go to colorado find out what sort of temperatures they are having there and get your skis waxed for those temps
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
cheers D G Orf, i naturally thought snow would just be "cold" never even considered different degress of coldness!

Well Im off on holiday for a week now so see you you all later, hope you are all still friends when I get back !
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Royal, I'd recommend buying the 'Beast' tuning video. I've seen a few different ones & I reckon it's the best. It's very easy to see what's going on & has a good commentry/explanations etc.

You can order it online from http://www.race-werks.com for $19.95 plus shipping.

When do you normally go to Castelford?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
spyderjon, speaking of which, how can I get that video back to you.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
spyderjon, usually in the week abour 11am ish...

when its cheeper !
ski holidays
marc gledhill wrote:
spyderjon, speaking of which, how can I get that video back to you.

Hang on to it for a while as I'll be back to the Monday evening sessions early October.
snow report
spyderjon, yes I have, with good results for LF6, LF8 and Toko Dibloc, very, very bad results with graphite waxes (the graphite puddles and burns).
snow report
D G Orf wrote:
boredsurfin, other than locking the skis togrther and sticking them in a bag, nothing is wrong, really keeping the skis separated will help keep them springy, not putting them in a sealed bag will help keep the edges free of rust, but if only skiing for a week or two I wouldn't service them yourself

We do need to spread the word on this one, our American friends just don't understand look at this article.
snow report
crikey !
ski holidays
Royal, I really don't want to add to your confusion, but to follow up whatD G Orf, said, I've had good results from 'Zardoz' as a wipe on. It lasts a little better that conventional rubon wax.
latest report
boredsurfin, looks like those skis ar cg ones so they don't need to worry about the separation idea, so long as they're not strapped tightly together skis should be fine
ski holidays
I've used Zardoz also - seemed pretty good stuff on the slush and crud - will test it in Jan temps this year.
snow conditions
marc gledhill, Thanks for the shopping list ... now where is the cheapest online store for this lot ? Too lazy to go through all the threads again Embarassed ( may have to buy new iron though as The Boss may object to dual-purpose household iron ! )
snow report
D G Orf, Sorry I hadn't seen your reply. Given that I (hope) to buy a place in Suisse later this season than I shhould be able to dump all the stuff there -- and I would also expect the skis ( being a gearfreak , it's bound to be multiple Crying or Very sad ) to get very regular use so it looks like hotwaxing and ruined flooring will be the order of the day rolling eyes
latest report
FastCarver has got a point though. Just take your skis to a ski shop before or after each holiday with a boot. Ask them to tune and look at the bindings. Don't worry about anything else until you are completely absorbed by it.
ski holidays
eEvans, Have a look here ..http://www.datawax.com. They have a very good kit with everything you need to get going. British company too !
snow conditions
TECH BULLETIN
Toko Brand Management Office, Heber City, UT info@TokoUS.com 866-TOKO-USA
Summer Storage Waxing
Here are Toko’s recommendations for storage waxing of skis. First, brush the
base out with a copper brush. Then drip on a generous amount of System3 or
LF Red. Iron it in making sure that there is enough wax to provide a thick layer
on the base and that the iron is hot enough to ensure a good bond between the
wax and the base. This ironing procedure is normal, but sometimes a person
rushes through storage waxing and the wax is not really heated outside of that it
becomes liquid. The ski bases often times don't even become warm. This will
result in air between the base and the ski and less protection.
Red is our choice for storage waxing as Blue is so hard that it is more difficult to
make sure that there is no air between the ski and base and Yellow is so soft that
it gets "eaten away" quicker. System3 Red is good, but LF Red is even better as
its consistency is perfect.
If waxing Alpine skis, slop the wax over the edges and cover them too.
There is still much skiing to be done, but storage waxing is so much an after
thought, the timing of this tech bulletin is appropriate.
A SUMMARY:
1. Brush skis out well with Copper Brush
2. Iron in System3 Red or LF Red making sure adequate wax is used and
that the wax is heated in well. Hope this is helpful
snow report
clive ward, I'm surprised that Toko don't recommend a hot wax scrape to clean the bases prior to the application of the storage wax.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
spyderjon, I only pasted this from there web site www.tokous.com as I am a complete novice when it comes to ski servicing and I have never waxed a pair of skis in my life.
ski holidays
clive ward wrote:
........I have never waxed a pair of skis in my life.

You're really missing out on another way to spend money on skiing so you'd best get in to it. Also a good excuse to put a beer fridge & CD player in the garage Laughing
snow report
spyderjon, I've got them in the living room not sure I can fit the ski vice in between the pool table and the pinball Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy