Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Warning - Ski A La Carte

Poster: A snowHead
I know this has been covered in other topics but I just want to alert other snowheads to the utter craziness which is the Ski A La Carte car in relation to families.

A great idea, the card gives flexibility and a discount on the adult daily rate of five French ski areas.

However if you have a child forget it.

I have just returned recently from a month in Les Coches with my husband and two young children. I stupidly got them the Ski A La Carte pass instead of the hassle of going to the lift pass office for free passes. They are 4 and 5 and *should* ski free in Paradiski totally. However on our return we have been charged the adult rate albeit discounted for a child of 4 and 5. On some days they only used it in the montchavin gondola (€3 if you pay!) as they were only in ourson an not using the lifts. This lift was a one way thing to go sledging.

In total we have been charged almost €900 which someone is taking 100% profit!! Children under 6 ski free, so someone is having a good laugh at our (huge) expense. I am utterly disgusted, and despite arguing the case with them have got nowhere. I know I missed the small print, but this situation to charge for infants who are free in resort is immoral.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If anyone has any suggestions to help...an outside guess...but you never know Sad
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm a bit confused here.

You knew they could ski free but you bought passes anyway?
What did you ask for?
Did you tell them your kids were under six?
What did they say?

Quote:

on our return we have been charged the adult rate albeit discounted for a child of 4 and 5

So were you charged the adult rate or not? Presumably not, since you say they discounted the child passes.

Bit clearer explanantion required.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes they had our children's date of birth. A pointless excercise IMHO as they only charge adult rates!!
Ski a la carte provide cards for children for free, but charge full adult day rate each day it is used.
Ski a la carte charged the full adult rate of Paradiski, less their small discount.
Even though they ski for free they still needed a pass to get through the gates.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sorry I missed the comma between discounted and for in the above quote. Hope it makes sense now!

The amount now I have relooked at it was actually €960.50. For 12 days each. One of which was on one gondola to sledge with their crèche!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Lizzard, Im assuming snowboardingmum had the Ski A La Carte card for herself and her OH and as the kids card was "free" she got some for her kids too - then, like the majority of us, didnt read the small print.

snowboardingmum, sounds like a proper con!!!!!!! Hopefully you highlighting this will save some a whole heap of cash! Not that that helps you.

Most disappointing con I fell for was with Which? consumer advice group!!! Who would have thought that you had to read the small print with them. A one month "trial" for £1 got me hauled into a monthly direct debit scheme Sad
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowboardingmum, its an eye watering amount - for that amount I would put up quite a fight. Why not try contacting Martin Lewis or something. I would also contact the company making sure they know you are using the internet to spread the word about their extortionate charges
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
Lizzard, Im assuming snowboardingmum had the Ski A La Carte card for herself and her OH and as the kids card was "free" she got some for her kids too - then, like the majority of us, didnt read the small print.

snowboardingmum, sounds like a proper con!!!!!!! Hopefully you highlighting this will save some a whole heap of cash! Not that that helps you.

Most disappointing con I fell for was with Which? consumer advice group!!! Who would have thought that you had to read the small print with them. A one month "trial" for £1 got me hauled into a monthly direct debit scheme Sad
Shimmy, that's exactly why I'm posting it here to save others falling fowl of this conning company. It was as you said to lizzard, we bought ours and added the kids on too. Makes sense huh?! Except that Ski a la carte rip off families. I don't even agree with charging children the adult rates, it's craziness. They must be creaming a fortune off from child rates!!
*Disgusted of Wales* ^_^
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It is an eye watering amount. I'm approaching again using the open 'come on, you can see its unfair' tactic. If that fails I'll try the Martin Lewis or Watchdog tactic, great idea! And agreed, inform them at that point of my Internet campaign...mwahahahaa! Wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It's a pity I guess it won't get me anywhere...cos I didn't read the small print....yadaaa...yadaaa....
Oh and the fact that they have our money already, thanks to the card they kept on file from our application....
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowboardingmum, you can also share your thoughts with their fb page Laughing wonder how many SH would like to point out your case Toofy Grin
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Oooh yes please do guys! I haven't thought about fb....
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
*toddles off to look*
The joys of modern technology lol!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
https://www.facebook.com/holiskiserrechevalier

thats their fb page

almost 1000 Euro for something that should be free is daylight robbery - who wants to deal with such an underhand company? Sad
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Out of interest why didn't you buy direct from the ski lift company? I find that lots of their more unusual tariffs aren't available online even direct from the ski lift company website. For example my father in law skis free at his age but you can't buy a free pass online you have to go to the office.
snow report
emwmarine, because she was buying for her and her other half and the website said something along the lines of kids subscribe for free. Automatically, as the lifts are normally free for her kids she assumed there would be no charge. As a rushed working mother I too, might have fallen for that headline! Why go to the lift pass office just to get the kids passes if you think they are free from the company you are getting yours from?
ski holidays
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
emwmarine, because she was buying for her and her other half and the website said something along the lines of kids subscribe for free. Automatically, as the lifts are normally free for her kids she assumed there would be no charge. As a rushed working mother I too, might have fallen for that headline! Why go to the lift pass office just to get the kids passes if you think they are free from the company you are getting yours from?
Exactly As Shimmy said. I run my own business, have two young children, so shoot me for missing the small print. What seemed a good idea and the perfect solution for us has proven to be a living 'mare, and may well cost us a ski hol next year. *sobs*

Have now sent it on to Watchdog. The campaign commences!! Fb had eluded me, thanks for the tip Shimmy xx
snow report
Oh and glad I'm not the only one to succumb to mummy numpty-headedness ^_^
ski holidays
snowboardingmum, have you posted on their fb page how it cost you almost 1000e for skiing that should have been free? Do it!
ski holidays
Shimmy - its not Ski A La Carte exactly so I'm a bit reluctant. I know it's the same but...!
snow report
Ahaa....tellingly it doesn't appear to allow public posts on its wall. Hmmm....something to hide?!
ski holidays
If you look at the "price" page on the Ski a la carte website the first thing it says is:

Quote:
The “Ski à la carte” daily rate is a flat rate (no discount for children or seniors)

that's the first line. Right at the top of the page. Hardly "buried in the small print". Puzzled It must be awful to be suddenly hit with such a big bill. We've all done stuff like that (I paid far too much for too long for my Orange broadband because I'd not puzzled out the French smallprint, and should have spent more time at it). But I don't see how you could claim, given that they state the position so clearly, that kids were going to ski free with A la carte. or that you were somehow conned.
snow conditions
pam w, yes she is technically in the wrong - she's admitted that. But 1000e for kids lift use when it should be free? Shame on them! Real shame!
ski holidays
Quote:

But 1000e for kids lift use when it should be free? Shame on them!

Well it looks as though you buy an a la carte pass thingy for an individual - could be any age - and the price clicks up every time that pass goes through a gate. the website certainly doesn't say kids "subscribe for free", it says the opposite. The reason for asking for dates of birth is presumably for ID purposes, like they ask for your name.

Maybe kids couldn't "ski for free" in all the resorts in which you might use an a la carte lift pass? I do understand the frustration but I don't think it's fair, on the evidence I've seen, to suggest that the company are running some sort of scam/con. The fact that kids get no reduction could hardly be more clearly flagged.
snow report
pam w, It does say that juniors subscribe for free!!!
ski holidays
So you've been stung for a load of money. Perhaps that possibility should have made you engage brain before signing up.

It saddens me when perfectly respectable businesses are dragged through the mud simply because someone had expectations that didn't match the product they were buying.

Caveat emptor.
latest report
Quote:

It does say that juniors subscribe for free!!!

but not that they ski for free - the website constantly reiterates the fact that you pay the adult pass rate, with various "discounts".
snow conditions
Oh my god! What the fool is wrong with you people. Correct me if I am wrong. Website says juniors subscribe for free, as said juniors normally have free lift access one would assume the whole lot was for free. I can clearly see where it says "juniors subscribe for free" so why doesn't it say " though they will be charged adult lift prices minus a very small discount even though they might be able to go for free".
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, I'd rather live in a society where we didn't have to be cynical - if they say subscription is free for kids and the normal ski pass is free then shame on them for charging 1000e for the issue of a plastic card. Id rather live in a society that was morally correct than legally correct.
snow report
Looking at the website, I'd say the situation is perfectly clear - you get the card then you're charged a flat discounted rate per day's skiing regardless of age. Nowhere gives out freebies online, because they want to see ID or other proof of entitlement.

Can't see that you've got anything to complain about, to be honest - you didn't read the website properly. It's right on the middle of the page, so you can hardly claim it was 'small print'.

Shimmy Alcott, it says the initial subscription is free for juniors. It also clearly says that day passes are charged at a flat rate. I'm not seeing any ambiguity on their websita at all.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 10-02-12 21:31; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Quote:

What the fool is wrong with you people. Correct me if I am wrong. Website says juniors subscribe for free, as said juniors normally have free lift access one would assume the whole lot was for free.

OK. Since you ask (rather rudely....) I will correct you. A junior is an under 18 and under 18s certainly don't have free lift access in any resort I've ever skied in.

The website says:

Quote:
Are you skiing as a family?
Subscription is free for “juniors” (under-18s) when you buy an adult subscription with the same account.

There is no specific “à la carte” day rate for children.
The price of a day’s skiing with the “à la carte” reduction is similar to a child day rate and, with the pass, you do not have to keep your children waiting or give them money or a cheque to look after... a real relief!

(Emphasis mine)
snow conditions
pam w, I don't see how they could have made it much clearer.
snow conditions
snowboardingmum, you have been done over and I can understand why. i don't know if I would have picked it up either and I am a) super clever and b) used to shitty contracts

Lizzard,good god you're a cow sometimes.

If it was 100euro or 200e then you could (maybe) swallow it but this is 1000euro, that is a alot of money.
latest report
Lizzard, by saying, where it said "Juniors subscribe for free" that "they will also be charged the adult rate minus a small discount regardless of the fact that they might be due free lift passes".

How any of you can defend 1000e charge for kids that should be skiing free is beyond me - other than so you can relish in the fact that "legally they are correct" SHAME ON YOU! I dont want to live in that society.
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee, push off, bird. The website is quite clear about the terms of sale and how the card works. If you are indeed 'super clever' (or even if you're not) there's no way you could mistake it. The fact that it's a big wedge of cash makes no differenct to either the clarity of the original explanation or the company's obligations to people who don't read it properly.
latest report
Lizzard, I'm amazed that Nadenoodlee limited herself to saying you were a cow only "sometimes". Im guessing you dont have many friends, if any.
ski holidays
Shimmy Alcott, oh stop being so stupid.

It says:

1. Juniors get a free subscription.
2. Ski passes are charged at a flat rate regardless of age.

How the bloody hell else could you possibly interpret it? Drop the 'shame on you' garbage and grow up.
ski holidays
Lizzard, grow up? Laughing Hun, Ive probs done far more than you in my much shorter life - only my experiences have been positive and instead of continual moaning like you I find great joy in life - rather than moaning about who's next in the lift pass queue.
snow report
1000euro is a lot of money, I think the "free subscription" bit is put there PURELY with the intention of confusing people, with the company benefitting/ripping people off in the end. Especially those not au fait with the myriads of ski passes available in different resorts. Aren't there 100+ different passes available in Paradiski?

I am normally quite tough on people but I think this is genuinely misleading and unfair.
snow conditions
The a la carte card is self-evidently an expensive mistake for little kids who would ski free otherwise. However, it could still be a good buy for teenagers, though you'd need to look carefully at the discounts they'd get anyway, in each of the resorts where you planned to ski, compared to the flat rate charged by a la carte. For teenagers, you'd need to read all the small print and do a few sums. But for littlies who could ski for free, a pretty cursory glance at the key sections of the website should suffice. I don't think you could fairly accuse the company of being misleading when - to repeat myself - the very first line in the "price" section of the website says:

The “Ski à la carte” daily rate is a flat rate (no discount for children or seniors).

I, too, would be absolutely kicking myself if I'd made that mistake. I kicked myself when I realised my mistake with Orange.fr (which also cost quite a lot of money) but I didn't try to blame anybody else or moan because the information was available only in French small print. I'd been lazy, made a quick and easy decision, which turned out to be wrong. Mea culpa.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy