Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Big toenail falling off!

Poster: A snowHead
It's hanging on one side only. Very yucky! Both fell off last year after my ski holiday, probably as a result of my rather tight boots. This time one is fine (the boot that was kindly stretched by the very nice man at Ski Stadl in Wagrain, highly recommended!) but the other has gone white and is very loose on one side. I'm managing to keep infection at bay with antibiotic cream and dressings but I am going skiing again in just under 3 weeks and a bit worried about having to try and cram a dressing into my already tight boot.

Bizarrely the first year I used these boots I had no problems, so either my feet have gotten bigger or the boots have gotten smaller. Both seem unlikely. I realize the long term answer will be to get the other boot stretched too, or just ditch the boots and buy larger, softer ones (I really struggle to get these ones on and off, especially if they are cold), but there is no time to do that before my next trip.

Any helpful suggestions?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That happened to me. I'm sure I posted pics, but I can't find them now. It was gross.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
paulio, I'm definitely not going to post any pics! Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I wish I could find the pics now. It might have been in one of the Boris Bar threads unfortunately, making it a bit hard to find!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
queen bodecia, come back and see Siegi again! wink Toofy Grin and we can go skiing again too, lots of bars and huts to show you yet!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Cut your toe nails next time.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
And try not to let your weight get back - that pushes the toes forward in the boot. That could be worse if the boots are a bit loosely done up.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
queen bodecia, this may sound very basic, but the process that you go through when putting on your boots is very important, and the problem nay actually be that the boots are too loose, allowing your foot to slide forward in the boot, banging your toenail in the process.
1. Put both boots on and do the top clip up as tighlty as reasonable
2. Stand up and try to flex forward as far as possible (this will lever your heels back in the boots).
3. Sit down again and do your lower clips up working from top downwards
4. Check, and if necessary, re-tighten everything, working from the top downwards.

WRT toenail - try to leave it exposed to the air as much as possible when you are at home
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Freddie Paellahead, I would start with the middle clip then the two upper clips then powerstrap the toe clip last merely providing closure. In a standing position skis on, after about 10 minutes skiing repeat. I expect CEM will be along in a minute if alerted, smallzookeeper seems to have disapeared from radar and the best to my knowledge does not contribute.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Samerberg Sue, fantastic plan! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Cynic, toenails were cut very short the night before I left.

snowball, Freddie Paellahead, there is absolutely no way my feet can slide forward in the boot as they are such a snug fit. I have the clips on a very loose setting, they don't need to be tight, my feet really aren't going anywhere. The wonderful Siegi mentioned above stretched the left boot and this seems to have solved the problem. My left foot is slightly longer than the right foot, so I was hoping the right boot didn't need to be stretched but it looks like it probably does need it. The boots were fitted by a reputable UK boot fitter and I had no problems with my toenails the first season I used them. I have always found them very difficult to get on and off though, they are really stiff and do not open very wide to get my feet in.

P.S. I don't really need boot fitting advice as there isn't time to do anything to my boots before my next trip. It was more advice on what I can do with my gammy toenail to get it in the boot without making matters worse. Or anything I can do in the interim to aid healing.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Suggest tea tree oil applied to toenail, no need for a dressing - should combat infection and is anti-fungal too. If it looks like the nail would catch on socks etc it might be worth a visit to a chiropodist to discuss removal options. Damage to the nail bed can become a chronic problem, so worth sorting out. Could also be that your arches are coming down, making your feet longer, and hence bringing toes nearer to end of boots - getting older can be a bu**er at times. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Freddie Paellahead, Cynic, don't either of you ever read CEM's posts, you start with the clip just above the ankle.

queen bodecia, Send me a piccy, I'll have seen worse today. If the nail is very loose and your up to it, cut back all of the loose nail and gentle file the remainder. Otherwise see a Chiropodist. Good old fashioned salt water is as good as anything as a first aid care, antibiotics only if it is actually infected. Chilling could have exacerbated the problem.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ian Kenvyn, anarchicsaltire, thanks for the advice. I'm sure I'll be able to cut any loose bits off by myself, I have very little pain/sensation (nerve damage) in my feet, I just didn't know whether it was a good idea to do this.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
queen bodecia, good luck and commiserations, been there. Currently got one half black but intact.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sarah, at least it seems like a common enough ski ailment, with no blood and broken bones involved!
ski holidays
queen bodecia, yes not too serious in the scheme of things but sore and annoying. You can easily get stick on false ones for the summer too if you need to Laughing
ski holidays
queen bodecia, I was having the same problem, I lost both big toenails for the last two seasons.

I had a natter with the fella at Rivington Alpine and he said, after checking boot fit etc, that it was probably from lack of "headroom" for the big toes. He ground down both footbeds under the toes to make a bit more wriggle room and it seems to have worked>

Go see a bootfitter.
snow conditions
Mosha Marc, very true, I suspect it's the height of the boots rather than the length. Both of my big toes curl upwards slightly. The left one seems fine now the toe area in my boot has been stretched so I will get the other boot done at some point. There's just no time to sort that out before my next ski trip in 2 and a half weeks' time.
snow report
queen bodecia, as Siegi showed you it is not only the lack of headroom, it is the lack of any room! the boots are just too snug a fit! when you stood up after he measured you both feet moved considerably forward. The shells you have are simply too small sadly. all the tweeking, grinding, stretching in the world is not going to change that fact.

That first day skiing it took us nearly 10 minutes to get you into the boots they were so snug, that was the two of us working the tongue and shell so you could get your foot in. sorry but that is not right under any circumstance. Even racers find it easier! wink
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue, yes I completely agree. Siegi clearly knows his stuff. I think the lack of sensation in my feet doesn't help either. Any normal person would feel pain!

I hope there was no one watching us that first morning, three of us trying to get my boots on! It must have looked a bit strange! Toofy Grin Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy