Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skier shoots moose

Poster: A snowHead
I think I'll give Anchorage a miss for that summer skiing trip. In my orange jacket I might be mistaken for a charging goldfish.

http://www.juneauempire.com/stories/032104/sta_skier.shtml
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
PG, I note in the article that the gunman was criticised for not using pepper spray instead. I think if I had a large moose (Picture) charging at me I wouldn't wait for it to get in range of my pepper spray!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not sure what I'd be most worried about. The moose, the trigger-happy skiers, or the occasional polar bear....... Don't fancy trying a pepper spray on any of them.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I saw that a group of snowshoers were attacked by a mad moose recently.

Lucky we don't have such risks in France, eh?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ooh the perils of skiing in North America. The only mountain beasties we see in Europe are benign chamois and marmots , and these sightings are becoming rarer unfortunately.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
To be fair to the chap, he had had a run in with a moose the previous year!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

The only mountain beasties we see in Europe are benign

Isn't there also a thing called a Mouflon ??
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes, less shy than other mountain creatures. You won't see the (hibernating) marmotte while you're skiing (although you can spot them from the Jandri lift on the way to the glacier in the summer)...

Apparently there are also wild cats and lynx in the Dévoluy range, or so I've heard. And wolves have been reintroduced in certain places too. Boar are spreading increasingly to the higher altitudes (quite impressive when you meet those face to face too!)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
PG wrote:
Boar are spreading increasingly to the higher altitudes (quite impressive when you meet those face to face too!)

Wild Boar?... they even have a website which details where you can find them in the mountains.

Okay... off to vote now if the rain holds off for a minute.

:D
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
Wild Boar?... they even have a website which details where you can find them in the mountains.

Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
(Why do we call them 'wild boar' by the way? Is there a tame version?)
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nice one davidof Cool Laughing Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PG yes there are farmed boar (not pigs), oh and I've had several reports of a wildcat or lynx being seen in the Wengen area, unfortunately I ve never seen one myself, wild boar would be much more dangerous to humans than wild cats by the way.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
D G Orf, Damn right - one night I went down to investigate some strange noises coming from the fields near home in S. France, and met a whole troop of the things (it had just rained, bringing the worms to the surface, and they dig enormous holes to get at them). They looked enormous, suddenly catching sight of them in torchlight didn't help. I beat a hasty retreat. Field looked like no man's land between the trenches in WW1 next morning.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
davidof wrote:
I saw that a group of snowshoers were attacked by a mad moose recently.

From that report from Salt Lake City:

"Any moose stomping, any bear mauling -- you ought to just kill them. Because they don't pay taxes and I do,"

So that's OK then, no wildlife pays taxes so lets kill it all. Hey, could give justification for invading any third world country - 'I'm trespassing on your land, don't resist otherwise I'll kill you because you pay no tax." Confused Confused Confused
latest report
Yep nice to see what an enviromentaly consious group they are, damm sorry I forgot their pressident thinks like them so what do you expect ?
snow report
D G Orf wrote:
PG yes there are farmed boar (not pigs)

It is also possible that Pete saw a troupe of Sanglion which are very common in the South and a much more likely to approach houses than pure Sanglier.

Quote:
I've had several reports of a wildcat or lynx being seen in the Wengen area, unfortunately I ve never seen one myself, wild boar would be much more dangerous to humans than wild cats by the way.

If you see a Lynx you are very lucky as they are extremely timid. I have a friend who is a park ranger in the Ecrins and he's never seen a Lynx. We also talked about the reports of wolf in France, there has been some very convincing film footage from the Vercors of a wolf but he said there was no proof of them in the Ecrins (les Deux Alpes) and thought that farmers were confusing dog with wolf attacks as the compensation is different.
snow report
There was once a report of a lion loose in North London...it turned out to be a large ginger cat!
snow report
davidof, we lived 'in the bush'!! No houses for miles apart from our place (foothills of the Ventoux). The locals regularly used to come and shoot sanglier - in fact I was under instructions to ring them up as soon as I heard one. In exchange, the odd large cut for the freezer. We also saw chevreuil, came across the occasional couleuvre de Montpellier (very large grassnake, poisonous, but fangs could only inject venom when prey partially digested). Several times they founnd their way into the house. Couple of the smaller couleuvre vipérine as well, one fell off a window-sill into the room when I was closing the shutters just last summer.

SNAKE IN HOUSE

GRASS SNAKE OUTSIDE

ORSINIS VIPER

No wolves, but as far as I know they were reintroduced into the Mercantour?
latest report
davidof, last time anyone saw one of the wildcats was when the lauberhorn race was on, the opinion is that the end of the race track is near its home and with all the noise from the crowds it decided to wander off, was seen by a worker looking out of the window from about 100 yds distance so report not reliable 100 percent
snow conditions
Wimps! You're all wimps! Good grief!

We have wildcats (lynx) in the foothills just outside Boulder. We see fox frequently. Eagles and hawks prowl our skies. Bear are frequently spotted in the hills and mountains, and mountain goats and sheep are to be seen, as well. Moose, wolves, elk, bison...

The land of the free and the home of the brave! Wink

Ya'll come, now, y'hear? Exclamation

Seriously, the vast majority of USians appreciate and love our natural suroundings. Every once in a while, there is a clash, but it's pretty rare. Then, some reporter finds someone to give them an outrageous quote to enflame others. I know; I've been misquoted so completely that it reversed what I had been saying!

Anyway, do come! The weather is beautiful, and I saw some bald eagles playing in the sky near a friends house just the other day...
ski holidays
Pete Horn wrote:
From that report from Salt Lake City:

"Any moose stomping, any bear mauling -- you ought to just kill them. Because they don't pay taxes and I do,"

So that's OK then, no wildlife pays taxes so lets kill it all. all. Hey, could give justification for invading any third world country.

Yeah - they're such thugs those Americans. Disgusting, really.

Anyway, here's the rest of story

"The moose was tranquilized after it tried to attack DWR officers, which was after the attack on [the snowshoer]. Officers decided against euthanizing because "we always try to give the animals the benefit of the doubt," White said...

"When officers learned the animal had not moved from another location, they began checking on it and feeding it willow brush once or twice a day.

"White discovered the moose kneeling in a creek Sunday morning. It either fell or walked down a hill and into the creek. It was not there the night before, White said.

"For 2.5 hours Sunday, White shoveled a path away from the creek for the moose. The moose did not use it. Then officers tried lifting the animal. About that time, it died, White said."

The brutes.
ski holidays
DavidS, thanks. See! We're not as bad as you thought! snowHead NehNeh
latest report
ssh, these townies, eh? We had scorpions, snakes, eagles, vultures (no bears though, north of the Pyrenees)....
snow report
Of course, shh, we all know americans don't have a sense of homour (humor, neither), otherwise one might suspect that Nick Baldwin's comment ("Any moose stomping, any bear mauling -- you ought to just kill them. Because they don't pay taxes and I do."), made as he recovered from his fractured shoulder blade, was like, you know, a joke...
ski holidays
PG, it's the mountain lion that you really need to avoid, either by travelling in groups or by carrying defense. We had one a few years ago here in Boulder that attacked a few people and killed one before it was tracked and killed. We've had bears down in town the past few years, too.

Part of living this close to wilderness. I love it!
ski holidays
DavidS,

You're right, I might have misread it. I ought to look for the good rather than the bad. Little Angel
snow report
Pete: snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DavidS, You must be an optimist..... I could just picture the guy saying that without the slightest trace of humour.... Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
It's hard to tell but I quite warmed to the guy:

"We thought the moose would just pass right by us, but he didn't. He was looking over us very carefully . . . all of a sudden he just ran through the brush and started to beat me up. It happened so fast -- like a tornado was going off. He was stomping and kicking and I just waited for it to stop."

A 65 year old retired radiologist, he wanted to hike out of the canyon after the attack - until his friends (also doctors) called in the helicopter...
latest report
DavidS, where did you find those quotes, there not in the links above when I go to them. Confused

Re-reading the article, I don't think Mr Baldwin was joking. He seems to hold a bit of a grudge about an animal acting like, well, an animal. :-/

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 21-03-04 22:54; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
but Pete, I'm making all this stuff up!

only kidding: http://makeashorterlink.com/?L17021CC7

http://www.sltrib.com/2004/Mar/03102004/utah/146368.asp
ski holidays
Thanks, it was the second link I hadn't seen.
latest report
There are wolves in N. Italy (they're already present in parks in Central and Southern Italy), and the "park-office" was trying to reintroduce Bears in
the Trentino-AltoAdige and Friuli regions, but, at least at the beginning, they kept running away toward Slowenia
It is said that Liynx havebeen sighted...
As far a wild boars, they are so numerous that they're becoming a problem, lacking natural predators...
ski holidays
There were a couple of big cat attacks in Banff a year or so back. One woman killed while out cross country skiing (cat then tracked and erased), another person stalked right outside the Banff Spring Hotel. Big hotel, lot of people, so I guess it was round the back of the hotel which backs onto wilderness. No wonder they have valet parking there.
Apparently the reintroduction of wolves to the park was too much competition for the cats and they've taken to foraging closer to town.
ski holidays
Oh brilliant, man having eliminated wolves from teh area the big cats move in, man puts wolves back in area big cats move out to nearest source of convinience food namely man ! You've got to love it, although not if you're the one on their menu Cool
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy