Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Morzine

Poster: A snowHead
Which hotel would you suggest staying in? Would you advise 28/1/06 or 4/2/06 for good snow / non-busy pistes?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Erica,

What sort of hotel would you like? A little more info would help narrow down selection:- price range, location (central/ski in out/sociable, etc...), are you limited to a range by tour operator?

Or do you just want my favourite? wink

Dates: I think 4/2/6 is running close to french school holidays but can't recall...I can check...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
erica2004, Yes, I was right, the Parisiens [Zone C] (the worst) are on holiday from the 4th. IMHO it's very definitely advisable to avoid all french school holidays. Very busy, long lift queues, hordes of unruly brats, expensive hotels, ugh!

Vacances Scolaires detailed here
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
erica2004, We have been to the PDS end of Feb/beg March for two seasons now, and whilst it isn't quiet, we haven't had any major problems with it being too busy either, we found the worst of the queues at Avoriaz.

David Murdoch,very useful link snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
IncogSkiSno, in fairness I've avoided the VS for years so can't recall what it's actually like. Mates who live there suggested it's not as bad as it used to be. That said, all else being equal it will be a significantly quieter week to go the week before.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
David Murdoch, Probably we'll go with Inghams from Exeter. I recall that someone said that 'Le Dahu' was good, and close to the lifts. As the snow season seems to be getting later, I wondered if 29/1/06 would be ok?
IncogSkiSno, We're still considering Banff/LL for 1/3/06 for 10 days. I can't decide whether to stay in Banff and have the town atmosphere or stay in LL and have the biggest ski area close by.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
erica2004, I don't think we'll be going to Banff 2006/2007 as our friends wanted to go at Christmas/new year and their parents would be going too and we've now decided would be too cold. So we are aslo looking for somewhere else possibly Lech, Wengen or Zermatt.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
erica2004, we're going the week of 29 Jan ourselves as it happens. In a normal (recent) year you should be fine, pre Christmas can be a little iffy, but a month later ought to be OK.

Le Dahu is very nice, quite up market. Not terribly near any lifts I must admit though!

Checking their website; the Petit Dru is in a similar location. To be closer to the lifts the Champs Fleuries is at the bottom of the Pleney gondola and cable car and should be almost ski in/out from Pleney and Les Gets in a decent year. Les Airelles is right in the centre of town so 5 minutes from the Pleney lift and fractionally further from the Super Morzine ones. All are fine hotels though. You can see their locations on the Morzine T.O. website.

Le Sporting is a little less upmarket, about 5 mins from Pleney lifts in other direction so 10 mins from S-Morzine. I stayed there years ago and it was just fine.

Unless forced otherwise by your rep I would heartily recommend "Francois Baud Sports" just down from the Pleney bubble (& next door to Hotel Tremplin) for any ski hire/servicing. You can mention my name (or nickname - "DM") if you like

(No guarantees of snow implied by my comments here!!!) snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
erica2004, if you are going to the Banff area I would definitely recommend staying at Banff rather than LL. It's really difficult to get to the other ski areas from LL - and if you do stay there you'll still need to get a bus to get to the LL ski area from your hotel. If it's a bad time for snow at LL, the snow is normally much better at Sunshine. It just keeps your options open. Sorry for the diversion from Morzine! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
David Murdoch, Where do you stay in Morzine?
Cathy Coins
, Thanks for your advice. Is March usually OK? It seems ok on the snow history reports.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
erica2004, March should be good. We've been there twice now, both in March. Not too cold, although we have had the odd pretty darn cold day, and snow good.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have stayed at the Champs Fleuris which is next to the pistes on the Pleney side of town and in the town centre, the Jadin D'enfants (ESF) is virtually next door, they have a nice pool and I found the prices really good value. They delivered excellent service to our family(3 years running), rated as a three star but frankly the service was four star plus. I'm going to be living in Morzine this Winter so PM when your coming out and we could hook up http://www.hotel-champs-fleuris.com/index_gb.htm
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
erica2004, normally with friends several of whom have homes or live there. For hotels then the Igloo's pretty good. My old standard "Les Rhodos" has been sold. In Jan, due to the nature of the group we've taken a chalet from my chums at Mountain Highs.

All the ones on the Inghams site are good places though.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frosty, lucky you. What you going to be doing out there?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Frosty, and is the food good ? My husband likes the Austrian (chest thumping) fare - full of meat and veg. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
erica2004, The food was great when we visited David Murdoch, err Gap year so nothing other than begging for food for my children etc.
snow conditions
I've just booked 'Hotel Champs Fleuris' for 4/2/06 for us for 1 week. I booked on line with Inghams and have been charged £30 fuel supplement grrrr... It is convenient for us to use a TO for trips to Europe, but they do irritate. It's all that daft natter the reps do on the coach as well. Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
We'll probably be in the PDS area just before and just after the week of your stay in Morzine. snowHead
latest report
erica2004, Oi! I was a rep once and did none of this "daft natter" wink
latest report
erica2004, Great news, ask about the ski away day on Thursday when you arrive as this is a popular whole day out with the hotel owner and an ESF member as a guide, they take two groups to Switzerland for the day inc lunch, one fast group and one slower group, nice day out. I've PM'd you my mobile no so we can have our own middle of season bash Very Happy
snow report
Frosty, Very Happy

David Murdoch, I bet you did. I bet you liked the sound of your voice on that bus tannoy. I bet you liked saying 'We'll be dropping you at the airport terminal for your flight home in approximately 5 minutes. You need to get your luggage off the coach and check your seat to make sure you haven't left any belongings behind. You will, of course, need your tickets and passport at check-in.' Toofy Grin
snow conditions
erica2004, no, really. At least not that particular brand of daft natter.

I did however have the strange pleasure of doing one of my seasons 88-89 when it didn't snow from Xmas week until late Feb.

So my opening line for about 8 weeks was something like, "you may have heard rumours in the UK that it hasn't snowed for a while. I'm afraid that's true and there isn't any forecast for at least a fortnight. On a brighter note, we can probably guarantee you sunshine..."

Picnics all round.

Actually, I will also say that we always managed to find some snow to ski on...and always had happy guests.
snow conditions
Did that really happen ? No snow until late Feb ? Where were you?
latest report
erica2004, errr, Morzine.

That season there was an immensely strong high pressure system that just hung over Europe for weeks and weeks. No-one had snow IIRC, certainly not good snow. SO it wasn't a PDS/low resort problem as such (although you probably would have been slightly better off higher up, as they had deeper base). Thankfully 1. it snowed quite a lot in December, 2. Morzine etc. had started installing cannons and 3. the weather system meant it was well chilly at night and not that ambiently warm (but beautifully sunny) during the daytime.

It was actually the cause of my one and only overnight stay as a guest of the French Govt - which rather disturbed my 6.30 am geneva run. Long (and un-exciting) story...

And as I said we always managed to find good skiing for our guests.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy