Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New app for improving mountain rescues

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A new emergency app has been developed by the Tyrol mountain rescue control centre that can pinpoint the exact location of a stranded skier. People will be able to download the app so that, if they run into difficulty, a simple click of the app will notify rescuers and will automatically send them the coordinates of where the person is, what altitude they are at, and their mobile phone number.
...The app, which will work all year round, will be available to download from the end of February.

Last year, the control centre in Tyrol was contacted 300,000 times, with around 245,000 of those calls resulting in police, mountain rescuers or the fire service being sent to the scene.

See: http://www.austriantimes.at/news/General_News/2012-01-27/39084/Emergency_app_for_stranded_skiers_in_Tyrol_
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
App for what? iphone? Android? It doesn't say.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
maggi wrote:
App for what? iphone? Android? It doesn't say.

According to this link in German ....

http://tirol.orf.at/news/stories/2518654/

It will only be applicable for Tirol, Austrian and should be available from Feb 2012 as a free download (not sure for which phones yet). I'd imagine if it is a success then it will be more widely used in the future.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Provided it uses the GPS chip and sends an SMS it will work well.

Faffing around to turn on data and then needing a 3G signal, may otherwise limit its use.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Saalbach already has a similar app. Great idea, but of limited use if you're unconscious upside down in a tree-well, if you're under 20 tons or snow, or if you've forgotten to either turn on the data roaming (very expensive) or charge the phone.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
quinton, Why would you need data on at all?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
RobW, Technology ignorance on my part. The jist of my comment is that the app only works if people know how to use the thing and are in a position to do so.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The one thing people (especially younger people) have and know how to use these days is a mobile phone.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Anyone know if this app has now been released? (and where/name)
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
It's advertised on Arlberg TV which is available in resort, and was being advertised as being available soon when I was there late January. Meant to get details when I was there but forgot!

Anyone in resort who can look and post here, it would be appreciated. Going soon and would like the app.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hmm can't help wondering how much time will be spent chasing false alarms or people who have just had enough and want off the the mountain.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The Austrian Times is not always a fantastic news source.

Quote:

Last year alone the control centre in Tyrol was contacted 300,000 times. Some 245,000 calls resulted in police, mountain rescuers or the fire service being sent to the scene. The helicopter was used for over 8,000 rescue missions in 2010 and is expected to have increased in 2011.

21 rescues per day by helicopter
821 call per day!
671 deploys per day!

Now then... in Austria the commas and full stops are swapped over with numbers... eg 3.00 is 300 and 3,00 is 3 point zero zero.
So my guess is that there are a few extra 0's added in translation somewhere... so 3000 calls 2450 call outs and 800 rescue missions!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sorry... 80 helicopter call outs
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Any news on the app?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hopefully you can get to your pocket to turn it on.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy