Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

kids- telemark? is this stupid??

Poster: A snowHead
+2, on ntns myself, with boots every bit as big and burly as my previous alpine boots. 75mm can be big and powerful too, thats where i started - again big boots, active bindings (my need for big/stiff/powerful is slighly more driven by mass than ability or style rolling eyes

equipment development and style/technique driven by equipment development has always happened, any self-confessed "purist" aint really purist at all (ok maybe more pure than me!). ^I do like the young uns rockin the park with their lurks though!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Me too, my NTNs are so easy I can teach alpine beginners no probs in my tele gear! Was trying the heals both being elevated at point of parallel during transition.....Ate snow lots and crashed my brains out. I found it very tough to achieve, even with fluid transition and no obvious pause at parallel. Something wrong somewhere and will try again tomorrow. Definitely in numpty tele team today
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
summer, try focussing on pulling the lead foot forwards whilst pressing down on it. It was described to me as you trying to scribe an arc backwards with the front ski.

The effect is that you keep (more) pressure through the skis at transition and your heels will stay up naturally.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cheers will give that ago and think I need to find a course too!!!! I can see the logic to the reasoning, it's just the whole making it happen without too many crashes! Let you know how it goes today as probably last tele day for a while
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ed123, there are of course other options wink

http://www.tvmountain.com/video/glisse/7218-monoski-pierre-francois-brun-pif-bertrand-delapierre.html
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
offpisteskiing, what are you trying to imply?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Perfect merci Flying Stantoni, the pulling lead foot through and making an arc seemed to do the trick! Certainly works well on pistes where I could see what I was skiing on and over!!!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
offpisteskiing wrote:

http://www.tvmountain.com/video/glisse/7218-monoski-pierre-francois-brun-pif-bertrand-delapierre.html

Give that a miss...telemark is giving me enough to think about without both feet strapped to a plank facing forwards!!!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
summer wrote:
Perfect merci Flying Stantoni, the pulling lead foot through and making an arc seemed to do the trick! Certainly works well on pistes where I could see what I was skiing on and over!!!

Vous en pris summer - glad it worked for you snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
offpisteskiing wrote:

In all seriousness, I've thought about buying a monoski just for the craic. Someone was selling two on ebay a while ago for about £60 that I should have gone for...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
if yer gonna do it.....

Shocked

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=in1c6bB4b5M
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
barry wrote:
if yer gonna do it.....

Shocked

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=in1c6bB4b5M

barry, that is simply fantastic. And I just happen to have a spare pair of NTN bindings.

"All" I need now is a board...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You will need a pastel coloured combi before you can dare go out on the piste with a monoski, plus old school glasses and matching headband
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
summer, and what makes you think that I'll have problems with that list...? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Update:

ebay has now produced some UK size 6 T2Xs (women's) they arrived today- just under a hundred quid, the telesaurus from last year are too small! (but I still have an 8 and a 3 year old to grow into them).

Matt from telemark skiing-uk has I hope got his drill out as I type and is putting the heel pieces of some small G3 targas into some new 138cm B3s. Nice set up - but considerably more than the "tele gear for kids for less than a hundred quid" I'd hoped for (mind you he's probably worth it!).

So now I need to decide whether to just take his tele gear with us this half term- I think so- tele or die!!!!!!!!!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
ski holidays
fatbob wrote:
Just to be pedantic you have to be fairly special to lead change without going through parallel momentarily?
. . . That's what I thought . . . until I twigged the concept of constant weighting change between skis and staying on the balls of the feet.
Now I'm always adjusting pressure through the carve, treating the two skis as essentially a single edge. Agulation gives me edge grip but fore/aft pressure gives me bounce for a fast lede change. For me it's just snowboarding with really sore quads . . . old and heavy Sad
latest report
FlyingStantoni, barry, My teleboard will be with me at the EOSB if you wish to have some fun.
snow report
We depart this Sunday.

New tel kit for ed junior (and junior 2 and 3 in turn) now all complete.

Boots- Scarpa T2x W size 6

Skis Rossignol B3 junior 138

Bindings G3 Targa- women's version- blue springs.....

Allen and Mikes Really Cool Telemark tips read and inwardly digetsed by son- we don't have flash cards but I do test him at random moments;

'where should your flashlight be?' .....

'how do you bend over when wearing a miniskirt- and why is this relevant to telemarking?'

'show me an awesome tele stance....NOW'

etc....

Only time will tele
ski holidays
Quote:

'where should your flashlight be?' .....

'how do you bend over when wearing a miniskirt- and why is this relevant to telemarking?'

'show me an awesome tele stance....NOW'

Rather sadly i knew the answer to all of those and could recall the cartoons too rolling eyes

....but n ow i've got my new, very wide Mantras, Hammerheads AND some brand new Voodos, i'm finding it hard to fall over Laughing
ski holidays
Peter S, it really is a great little book isn't it?

I also like 'where should you put a penny? What should you do with it and why?'
snow report
hello fellow telesnowheads.

Ben- 11 has now been telemarking for 3 days.

Some photos..
G3 targas- Elle version on B3 juniors

Why do tele bindings self destruct ater 2.5 days? Why? Well at least G3 bindings have spares under the ice plates

some telebumps

will try and upload some video of him doing Suisses in Courchevel in a moment.

He has been really quite fast and we did a little off piste too- quite steep and crusty in places- he thrashed me.
ski holidays
FlyingStantoni wrote:
My preferred teaching progression is based on the an American approach, rather than BASI's:

1) Straight run on flat terrain to telemark "position" (omit if good terrain not available)

2) Telemark traverse to stop

3) Parallel turns with telemark "traverse" in between turns

4) Repeat (2) focussing on weaker telemark side 2:1

5) Parallel turn and bring a drop into telemark "position" into the last third of the turn - stand tall - parallel turn, etc

6) Repeat (2) focussing on weaker telemark side 2:1

7) Telemark traverses with repeatedly "stand tall, drop to telemark" to build stance

Cool Parallel turn with the objective of dropping into telemark at the fall line

9) Traverses, this time lead changing across the slope

10) Monomark turns (the Brits call is "Snurfing") - www.telemarktips.com/Lessons06_07MonoTele.html

11) And more lead change traverses - building quickness

12) Stick is all together:

- set off in telemark "position"
- monomark turn across fall line (edge change)
- lead change down / into fall line

...and you're there.

If you've got mixed terrain (i.e. shallow pitch, steep pitch), then use the steeper pitches for traverse drills.

I like this approach because it teaches edge change before lead change from the "off". It also gives people a nice lazy way of telemarking - i.e. parallel into fall line, telemark, parallel into fall line, telemark.

Edited to better explain step 12. Which needs a diagram really...

Thanks for all the detailed and carefully though out advice- the little blighter just put his skis on (actually the hardest bit for him) ....then ripped it up.

Day 1 on piste blues and reds.

Day two off piste- steep + crust +some cut up crud, fast on reds, fastish on blacks and moderate bumps.

Some very minor falls, no aches.

back bottom.
snow conditions
Not stupid at all. I suggest you have a look at this link. http://www.awsa.org.uk/telemark/events/ As this is both the Army Telemark Championships and the British Open, as it says on the page, the event is open to all. I was there this year (with around 150 others) and it is tremendous value. In the first week there is daily tuition follwed by a Selection Race. I would suggest that youngster will then race in the "Development Races." Great group of people with families and kids. Were I not otherwise "employed" next winter I would be taking my kids too. Two weeks of Telemarking, tution, race fees, lift passes and Half Board for 760 Pounds (plus transport!), you're not going to beat that. See you there in 2015?
snow conditions
ed123 wrote:
...the little blighter just put his skis on (actually the hardest bit for him)...back bottom.

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
some video

day 2 first putting skis on.....

http://youtube.com/v/EBhQvVTnEKU

then Suisse

http://youtube.com/v/NWNxkdUqwI4
latest report
ed123, you have a truly evil chuckle Twisted Evil
snow report
barry, quality vid. They make it look so easy!
ski holidays
ed123, looks a big success

(The first day I tele'd on 75mm, more time was spent trying to get skis on tha actually skiing rolling eyes . He might be trying to clamp the heel throw over the highest lip on the boot, it should go one below - in the obvious groove)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Btw, easy next step for him is to think about separating thighs ie his thighs remain parallel at the moment, get them scissoring more (not explaining well but think parallel thighs = bad)

much better than I looked first time though (that's annoying!)

Did they like it?
latest report
thanks Barry, he is having a great time. Yeserday did some monster crud- he fell over a few times, then some really quite steep powder (about 40degrees) no falls, then some steepish moguls- ragdolled down- no injuries i'm glad o say.
latest report
Update from this year. Now 3 weeks on tele gear for my now 12 yr old. Very fast on pisted blues with angulation and smooth telemark turns. Steeper stuff and bumps skied no problems parallel and powder still tricky. Will post some pictures.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 1-03-14 14:52; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Interesting to hear the updates on your boys progression as my 13 old wants to take it up and this is pushing me to get him set up
for our trip next month. Will let you know ... .
snow conditions
Pics of telemarking son last week in les Arcs

snow report
Great stuff!
ski holidays
another update. 2 weeks in Tignes are coming to an end. At the start of week 1 we had some good fast telemarking on easy blues and then a lot of parallel. Mid week though there was a change. He's now tele'd down Trolles, Face, Sache with tele turns more or less top to bottom and has managed Paquarettes and Silence in hard icy conditions (Paquarettes was possibly a mistae but he was fine).
latest report
barry, in fast cross-under Lede changes short carving turns you do stay low. In fact in the transition you can be lower than in the turn itself if charging very hard.
snow conditions
Some short videos of the whippersnapper to date.

Things really clicked the other week. He also does bumps- quite fast. Met a few other granola eating weirdos in Tignes and generally had a ball. Only problem is I can't quite keep up. I'm not sure if that is because he is just better than me or because as an inexperienced your he is trying to find out just where the max is. In my world the max is just before where you dislocate your shoulder….Or then again I was on some rather soft skis, maybe I need some new ones??

http://youtube.com/v/F3jMHXe2pn4

http://youtube.com/v/50mmdvwQ1Vo

http://youtube.com/v/FE10C8k6avo

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 21-04-14 9:54; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
ed123, that all looks great. snowHead No problem starting 'em young. I see lots of very small kids on XC skis and there are regularly race meetings for kids, too - the ease with which they charge around makes me green with envy.
latest report
barry wrote:
FlyingStantoni, ^ 5, 6 and 7, specifically the "stand tall" parts - the kool kids aint standing too tall these days it seems, been trying this recently (ie staying relatively crouched through the "transition", and it feels good if maybe not technically or classically correct(?)

Mollerski, show the whippersnapper some of this: Shocked

http://youtube.com/v/_RQdbpZ-Nz4

I see the technique difference but isn't that just someone epic on twintips?
snow report
Hey y'all I have no clue how old this thread is, but it is definitely possible. I self taught myself how to telemark when I was 11 and now I've been doing it for 8 years. I showed up at the hill and just practiced practiced practiced. It definitely was not the most efficient way to learn (took me two years to efficiently link turns) but now I shred the steps and will never lock my heel down again! Depending on how friendly your mountain is, if youre a little tyk on tele you will deffinitly attract a lot of attention, through this I was able to gain knowledge and experience through other telemark skiers who would give me tips. Dosnt matter if your turn sucks, anyone on telemark loves to see youth get into the sport! #spreadtelemark
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy