Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Goggles advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
As a result of fogged up goggles, I suffered a few rather unattractive wipeouts last season culminating in a narrow escape from an unplanned base jump off a shear drop. Shocked I currently have a pair of Smith goggles, but can't remeber exactly which ones. They seemed to be ok the majority of the time, but I had severe fogging problems skiing off piste whilst the snow was still falling. Problems compounded because as the goggles fogged the standard of skiing got substantially worse. I'm not sure whether because of the lack of forward motion the goggles couldn't ventilate properly but I just couldn't clear them, which almost left me stranded.

Not wanting to suffer the same aggravation this coming season, I'd be grateful for any advice on either the best goggle for non-fogging, or methods of preventing it from happening again please. I will be skiing in Lake Louise in Jan / Feb 2006 if that makes any difference. Puzzled

Cheers.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome, YSJ, if you do a search, there was another thread about this recently.
Basically the tips are:
1. Use double glazed goggles.
2. Put your goggles on, and don't take them off - i.e. don't lift them off your eyes when riding the chair, or any other time, until you're coming indoors.
3. When indoors, use the restroom hand-drier to make sure they are dry.
4. Make sure your goggles are fitting snugly to your face, and that bits of hat/face mask are not getting in the way.
5. Make sure the air vents on your goggles are not blocked by hat/helmet/face mask/ice
6. At the end of the day, take your goggles off your helmet/hat, and leave them to dry in your room.
7. If you sweat a lot, you may want to consider *carefully* spraying some anti-perspirant on your forehead, and/or putting some talc on it.

(Edit: Originally in point 7 I said "deodorant", which is clearly wrong, as this will only affect the smell, anti-perspirant is what is actually needed)

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 9-09-05 8:53; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
as a purely anecdotal and not at all helpful aside - I've always wondered why children don't get this problem - always buy them the cheapest goggles going as they get through so many pairs in a season (left them in the bubble again d'oh) and they never steam up. Always assumed it was something to do with the helmet/goggles combo or because they go so fast and don't stop. But ref: the bubble scenario, they do take them off and fiddle with them quite a lot
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Children sweat less than adults and their sweating thresholds are higher. Do notice the hydration caution at altitude.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
oh dear, another way in which parents can fall short of the mark ... although I always nag about drinking, it's hard to get them to do it - you can lead a horse to water but ... I have found that a pack with a platypus is effective as it seems to have sufficient 'cool factor' and a couple of litres of water can go down in a few hours; and my son who had always dismissed my dehydration warnings as maternal fussing took the point when a boy on his cub camp, having failed to heed Akela's commands to drink (I gather everyone was ordered to stop and drink to order throughout the day!!), became dehydrated, was graphically and impressively sick SIX TIMES and got sent home!!
[just realised, rather way off topic - apologies]
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
poma wrote:
[just realised, rather way off topic - apologies]

Useful, though. Thanks for bringing it up.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
comprex,

Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Many thanks for the speedy responses, particularly to WTFH. Most of the tips, I already carry out. My goggles are double glazed and I do try not to take them off my face outdoors. For all but one day of skiing last year they were fine. I don't know whether purely coincidental, but the one day I had major problems was on the only day out of the two weeks that it snowed. Perhaps it was this blocking the vents? Alternatively perhaps I am just an above average sweater, in which case I might try a deodrant facial before hitting the slopes!

Are there no particular make of goggles with a good / better reputation for not fogging up?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
yard sale junkie, I just edited my original post - don't use a deodorant, use an anti-perspirant - you want to reduce the perspiration, not just change the smell!

I have Oakley A frames, and have been impressed with them. One lens fogged up on me, and I returned it to Oakley, who promtly replaced it, because the membrane between the lenses was faulty.
They have vents on the lenses as well as on the frames, and the only time I've had problems was when I got ice in the lens vents and the frame vents.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
both my pairs of Adidas goggles have been very good at staying un-fogged
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy