Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Graham Bell's £45 Jacket.

Poster: A snowHead
OK, your honest opinion on this helmet I have just picked up for £35. €30 to hire for a week or buy this one?

http://www.sportsdirect.com/nevica-ski-helmet-sn14-928000

Don't hold back. If I'm going to be sniggered at by my 14 mates going with me, and other passing skiers/boarders, I need to prepare myself!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
thorpedo, I'd say the original RRP was massively ambitious!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oh, I know that. If I'd had to pay anymore than the £35 I wouldn'd have gone anywhere near it. £80 could have got me a decent lid, but I'm trying to keep the spend down. St Anton is going to be expensive I fear.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Seen worse, my last lid went all sticky as it's (rather nice) rubberised matt finish started to break down... mmm tacky.
and at least it's not a bloody jester hat, waaaay too many of those in evidence at Les Arcs last week *shudder*
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You can't not buy one for this price, even if it's just for a spare

http://www.sportsdirect.com/Products/Default.aspx?DescriptionFilter=nevica%20waterproof%20hood&src=sd-main-r1-adizero-f50-inf-120124
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Andybag,

Well spotted, just ordered a couple, £15.99 to look like Graham Bell when walking the dog Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Timbobaggins wrote:
Andybag,

Well spotted, just ordered a couple, £15.99 to look like Graham Bell when walking the dog Very Happy

I see they're quoting that it is reduced from £160.......maybe they were once for a couple of days in the summer, but not ever since GB started to wear them on Ski Sunday.....
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well since i made my order an hour ago, the size and colours available has already dropped, so i guess a lot of you think at £15.99 its worth a punt. I ordered a couple, one for me and one for my wife. At £15.99 to look like a plumb "its a deal its a steal, no its sale of the f@@@ing century" to quote lock stock and two smoking barrels Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nevica, Killy and E+O all from the same stable Shocked Shocked

http://www.nevica.com/Nevica/E+O.html
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just been to try some on and a medium fit me perfectly. Looks ok, nice touches in terms of fleecy liners for pockets and so on, but the material looks quite thin and the shoulder don't seem to have any reinforcements. Wouldn't bet on it lasting more than a few days if used for proper skiing, but if you just want it for knocking around it's not bad at all. The "pit zips" are not actually pit zips, they're more or less where your rucksack straps will go...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
nbt,

Would you say the sizing is generous, coz i have ordered a large and am 6 foot with a 42 chest and a 33-34 waist
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm 5'9" with a 38 chest and the medium fit me fine. CHeck the sizing charts
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I did and a large is my size, but a friend just e-mailed me and says size was NOT generous
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Now down to fifteen quid!

http://www.fieldandtrek.com/nevica-ski-jacket-mens-403015
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
So, is it worth a punt as a back up jacket?
ski holidays
Quote:

So, is it worth a punt as a back up jacket?

I reckon so if it's your sort of style.
ski holidays
They've made their way onto fleabay now Laughing
latest report
Says it comes with a removable "snow baiter". If it works and the snow actually takes the bait it's got to be worth a punt, no?
snow report
Managed to get myself a green, white and blue one today. Thought I'd missed out!! Was looking at them coming down in price for a little while.

Can't go wrong with £15. I've bought worse takeaway for more than that!!
snow report
Timbobaggins wrote:
Nevica, Killy and E+O all from the same stable Shocked Shocked

http://www.nevica.com/Nevica/E+O.html

Used to be! Then the brands were sold off a couple of years ago and Ashley bought Nevica. Now puts the name on cheap and nasty cra@p manufactured for him. As he does with many other brands. £15 is probably about what they're worth tbh.
snow report
I bought a Nevica jacket when I was about 18 (and that is a long time ago). It was great, but very a boring black with sort of jade green trimmings. Lasted me for years.

On the subject of TK Max, being 6'3" and about 16 stone they have loads of great stuff that fits me. Perhaps I should consider a change of job? Always wanted to join a circus.
snow report
frenchst, by any chance have you received a e-mail from Sports Direct saying they are out of stock and therefore they are canceling the order. As I managed to order a Black one last night around 11pm but received a cancelation notice today saying out off stock.
latest report
Yeah I got that email. Sad

Gutted.
latest report
I thought i recognised the ski make, Nevica from years ago and i was right. Just look at these very bright one piece ski suits! Shocked
http://www.nevica.com/Nevica/NEVICA.html
snow conditions
I was in Sports Direct Leeds on the Headrow yesterday, and they had all of these jackets in stock, downstairs at the far end of the shop.
latest report
Bit the bullet and snapped one up at £31.99. It's surprisingly decent looking quality! Nice furry inside.

I wanted it for the old school brand but it's a nice jacket too!
latest report
frenchst,
Just got one deliverd for my son; seems okay but do you think its really as waterprrof/breathable as advertised?
Mitch
snow conditions
Just got back from my 4th ski trip in the Nevica jacket I purchased last year, same as already discussed on here. It's kept me warm and dry perfectly, minimum temperature it's seen was around -14C. I've used it for walking in the UK over the last year and I totally believe the waterproofing and breathability ratings, it's excellent. Insulation wise it's not exactly a down jacket....but I'd always opt for a lighter option and layer up....if you're working hard it's rubbish being too hot! I was never cold wearing this and a few good layers.

It has loads of pockets, ski pass pocket, internal goggle pocket and plenty of space.

The only problem I've had is with the hood elastic, having pulled the drawstring too tight it pulled from the inside of the hat.....which was easily fixed and could have happened to any jacket.

The snowskirt is good, it's wind-proof and I think it looks pretty smart. The only downside in terms of features is the lack of headphone cable routing......but that's not really a biggy for me.

I've spent serious money on mountaineering gear in the past and received less features than this £45 ski jacket. I think it's a bargain and on this experience I've just purchased some Nevica ski pants.....will let you know what they're like! I'll never be a brand victim again!

Cheers
Robbie
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's only chavvy if you tell people you bought it from Sports Direct Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Gutted that I didn't read these posts last year when these jackets were reasonably priced at anything between £15 -£45. Best price now I've seen is £80 so does that mean they really are a good product that's selling well?
snow report
BIL bought one when they were £15. He's used it for 3 years now and it seems to be standing up well. Its been dry even in heavy snow (never been used in rain though) and is breathable enough for spring skiing. Only one downside that he's mentioned, it hasn't got a pass pocket on the arm.

At £15 it was a steal, at £80 its a similar price to lots of other jackets with similar spec.
snow report
Thanks for the update it's good to know they can be used for more than a week. My dilemma now though is I quite fancy a Helly Hanson revolution jacket as it's £180 reduced from £220. Is it better to spend the extra on the HH or go for the Nevica but pay £65 more than they were selling for a year ago? Puzzled
snow report
No worries......£180 looks like a good price for the Helly and I'm a Helly fan so it's a tricky one. I bought the nevica at £45, I missed the £15 sale and was miffed. Having received the jacket I think it's easily worth it's current price of £80 but that's a decision for you to make. I don't know if you have an SD near you, but it might be worth checking them out in real life....if you can stand wading past all the chavs buying boxing gear and cheap undercrackers! I use the online route.
snow conditions
I did that yesterday and was impressed with the jacket, especially if they were purchased for the low prices last year. This is probably one of those decisions that either way I'll get it wrong. For the extra £100 I'll probably go for the Helly just because they've never been sold for £15. Bad logic I know. Mind you we're not off to VT until 23rd March and the way the weather is going I won't need a new ski jacket anyway!
snow conditions
I always thought the old nevica stuff was great. The FS rating etc I remember they had those avalanche reflector things sown into the sleeve. The last one I had chinook or something my dad still wears now and then 20 odd years on.

My oldest is looking for a jacket, might get him to look at the nevica stuff.

Anyone know if the kids no fear stuff is any good ?
snow conditions
Quote:

I'm sure my first onesie was a Nevica one from C&A
Wasn't C&A every parents dream when it came to ski wear for kids. We have a C&A in Sion, but haven't checked to see if they have ski gear, ooh could be a bit retro. Mark my words, it won't be long before one pieces return.
wink
latest report
Tried the Graham Bell one on in the shop last year and nice enough but very noisy rustling fabric, as for £80 think my £80 was way better spent on the Salomon Fantasy II I got from Tacky Maxx in November! For kids stuff I'd go with Aldi Lidl if there is any left in your local shops, then Decathlon, TK Maxx, Dare2B or Trespass. Have looked at the No Fear but it didn't look that well made to me, certainly a notch or two below the Aldi/Lidl/Decathlon stuff while being the same sort of price.
latest report
So I didn't rush in and finally got the HellyHanson jacket for half price this week saving £110. Thank you field & trek and next day delivery too. Great jacket and a great service too.
latest report
I met someone on holiday a couple of years ago that supplies SD. He explained how 'allegedly' they buy a struggling brand, copy designs from a reputable manufacturer and mass produce similar looking gear.

I use SD for trainers, gym gear etc. but tend to avoid the stuff that is SD owned.
ski holidays
sophster wrote:
My sports direct chavvy bargain lurid Nevica jacket gets a big thumbs up after wearing it in about every condition in Schladming last week. I particularly liked the extra breast pockets (extra pockets on the breast area, not extra pockets for storing breasts!) which were dead handy for stashing my phone or camera.

If you havent spent a squillion quid on a ski jacket it must be rubbish dont you know wink wink wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy