Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Working on technique during the summer at Deux Alpes - video

Poster: A snowHead
(And of course a quick plug for Charlotte (Easiski) and Deux Alpes!)

A last minute dash to get some technical tests done for Hannah late August, all sorted by Charlotte (from hotel to organising training to getting the video put on CD at L2A...)

The technical side was awkward - conditions are never great at the end of the summer season, and there was nowhere to do any off piste ... but it might be interesting for snowHeads to see the kind of stuff the British ski team alpine director wants to see as an indication of technical competence even at this early age (12). (Hannah points out that she hates skiing on her left foot and had never skied on Nordicas before, plus had just come from skiing on grass, all the usual excuses... wink) Anyone else undergone instruction with single foot skiing, turning on outside ski only, etc?

(The link should open the video in your media player... note the various snowboarder-shaped obstacles in certain sequences to add to difficulty snowHead )

Assessment A: Free Skiing: Adaptation to terrain & snow conditions
Control of turn size and shape in varied terrain
Task 3 - Long to short radius: flat to steep

Control of turn size and shape in unprepared snow
Task 1 - Unprepared snow: constant short radius turns

Assessment B: Technical Drills: Timing & co-ordination
Drill 1 - Short turns on one foot, left and right
Drill 4 - Turning on the outside ski

Assessment C: Stubby Corridor: Turn size & rhythm adjustment
Task 2 - Rhythm change short / long
Task 4 - Medium radius turns
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Very impressive, especially carving through the stubbies. Turning on the outside ski is completely beyond me.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for sharing that PG, very impressive. Maybe when I'm 12 I'll be able to do that too.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wow, Very impressive, Thanks for allowing us to look at this.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Is there anything I should be doing to open this file as my computer will not let me open it. Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
T Bar, it's a standard avi file, should open ok in Windows Media Player. It's very large though, needs broadband.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It is an avi file, but seems to have .dat appended to the file name. Not sure that makes any difference - it plays OK on my Mac which can be a bit temperamental with avi files.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Very impressive. Fantastic balance, quad strength and knee stabilty?
Out of curiosity how does Hannah compare to the average French schoolchild? I presume that as a club skier, she is more proficient than a typical recreational skier of her own age.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hywel, Just a bit! Club skier should not be taken in the same terms as club rugby player - more like Arsenal junior first team!!! Very Happy Very Happy

PG, Thanks for putting it up, when I get back to LDA I'll look at it again. Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It's 38.5 MB so even on broadband it can take a few minutes. The full filename extension is .avi.DAT.avi. but media Player seems to lose the second .avi. Firefox and Media Player handled it without any hiccups. Well worth the download wait. 3:42 of amazing skiing.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PG Thanks for that! It has put my 12 year old daughter in her place!
She was getting to big for her boots, telling everyone what a wonderfully brilliant skier she is! Having watched that she is a little quieter now Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PG wrote:
Anyone else undergone instruction with single foot skiing, turning on outside ski only, etc?
Yes, our coach has got us doing a few of those. It would be nice to think I could do it as well (or had any prospect of doing it as well) as Hannah though Sad . On a good day I can just about make a stab at the one footed runs, but nowhere near as sharp turns as she makes. The exercise of turning on the outside ski only was what gave me the breakthrough from being utter rubbish to being just averagely rubbish. He's also tried (for some not entirely obvious reason - OK I know it's a recovery technique) getting us to do runs turning on the (outside of) the inside ski, which is what I thought you may have meant by one of those exercises - and what it looks as if Hannah actually does at about 1:39 - but that was really beyond us.

If I'm being really picky, I thought she snatched quite a bit at gate 4 of the 2nd stubby run (at 2:10) Wink - good recovery though.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
GrahamN wrote:
also tried (for some not entirely obvious reason - OK I know it's a recovery technique) getting us to do runs turning on the (outside of) the inside ski

Is that possible? Don't you mean the inside of the inside ski? Isn't the outside of the inside ski what you put pressure on when you cross-over to start a new turn? Or am I being thick?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar.org.uk, sorry, terminology may be a bit confusing here - what I meant was the little toe side of the inside ski, i.e. the outside of the foot - which I suppose is the edge on the inside of the turn you are then making Puzzled . Sorry for any confusion caused.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
PG wrote:
Anyone else undergone instruction with single foot skiing, turning on outside ski only, etc?

yes... with easiski!
thigh-burning stuff but it really did the trick for me
snow report
GrahamN, LOL! OK, I understand now. "Little-toe side" is a good description to avoid confusion.
snow conditions
I like to ask my club members, as a warm up to do three turns on one foot, and then 3 on the other.

Not (entirely) sure if they like doing it tho ! Laughing
snow conditions
those damm snowboarders Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Why do they always seem to congregate in your way. That girl is very talented. I suppose the real key is how she makes it look easy Shocked
ski holidays
ski wrote:
Not (entirely) sure if they like doing it tho ! Laughing
We have one lady who really hates it, so when she's there that lightens the atmosphere wonderfully (and makes us all feel so much better with our slightly less feeble efforts).
snow conditions
Nice skiing! I can carve one-footed turns like Hannah on the left ski but not on the right, which is strange as I'm right handed. It's a very good exercise and not easy!
snow report
GrahamN & ski, which club is this?
snow conditions
great stuff makes me want to drop everything and go for a ski !
latest report
rob@rar.org.uk, I'm at Bowles (Tunbridge Wells) GrahamN, is at Aldershot. Come along !
snow report
PG, Hannah looks amazing. I must remember to watch that again before my ski holiday (107 sleeps Very Happy ) so I can attempt turning on the outside ski. Somehow I don't think I'll ever be able to do it like that though, and I can see a few crashes coming on. Does she ever crash, or do you edit it out?
snow conditions
RachelQ, no, I do all the crashing for our family! Falls happen, but mainly only in two scenarios - going flat out when taking part in races or race training and skiing right on the limit, or when training off piste sometimes - last season she had a trainer, a former racer, that would go flying off through the powder, trees etc, as fast as he was able. Behind him you would gradually get an increasingly strung out line of kids all charging along at frightening speeds for their ages, in every condition and terrain imaginable. You do then occasionally see some spectacular wipe-outs! Barring accidents (touch wood) this type of training teaches them two things. To pick themselves up and get on with it if they fall (no choice, everyone else will have vanished by then!), and the ability to ski under considerable control when skiing slightly below their limit (even if it looks fast to others).
snow report
ski, thanks - both are slightly too far for regular, although I'm thinking about Bracknell as a possible dry slope venue.
latest report
turning on the outside foot shouldn't pose a problem to any decent skier, but turning on one foot only is another matter. I use all these exercises (not only with arno), and they're good for balance and position. If you're in a bad position you just can't do it! If you're properly balanced then you can more or less do it and practise makes perfect. also very good for recovery in all sorts of situations - not only racing.

Hannah didn't want to do the left foot only run, and tried to weasle out of it. I put my foot down a bit though, as I know what I'd have been looking for and both feet would be it. We did a little practise before, and she really nailed it.

GrahamN, I was keen to keep the stumble run in as it showed how quickly she recovered and that tells us trainer types a lot! Very Happy
snow report
easiski wrote:
GrahamN, I was keen to keep the stumble run in as it showed how quickly she recovered and that tells us trainer types a lot! Very Happy

Exactly my thoughts when I saw it - we can probably all look good(-ish) when it's all going to plan, but you've got to be good to recover that quickly.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
my dad is very bad he did not tell me Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
snow report
Hannou, dads are like that! But you were very good, put me totally to shame Very Happy snowHead
snow report
Hannou, I think your dad is very proud of you, not bad!
snow report
Hannou wrote:
my dad is very bad he did not tell me Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Got any footage of him falling that we could 'analyse'? If no, wanna buy some wink
ski holidays
DB wrote:
Got any footage of him falling

Oops!

Twisted Evil Wink
snow conditions
rob@rar.org.uk, Ooh so cruel, poor PG wink
ski holidays
snowbunny, I know, I just couldn't resist. I hope PG will forgive me!
snow report
rob@rar.org.uk, it still hurts, more than 6 months on! Sad
ski holidays
PG, sorry to hear that. I hope that it is continuing to get better, albeit slowly.
ski holidays
PG, it is likely that it will continue to ache on and off for the rest of your life. Probably be a year or two before you can forget that you ever did it.
snow report
Anyone having trouble with the link can right-click it and "save target as" - allowing one to truncate the file extensions to just one .avi

My camcorder makes purple snow too Toofy Grin
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy