Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Several people killed in Austrian cable car plunge

Poster: A snowHead
Pic: APA
Yesterday (Monday), 9 people were killed in the glacier skiing area of Soelden when a helicopter dropped a metal excavator bucket containing 750kg of concrete directly on top of a gondola car from a height of 300m...

The Cabin was torn from the cable but the oscillation caused further injuries to the occupants of nearby cabins.

This report from the BBC
This from tirol.com (in German)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Initial report on the BBC in: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4216052.stm

How awful, it's something I try to imagine won't actually happen Sad
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just heard it on BBC World.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
8 dead so far

http://www.networld.at/index.html?/articles/0536/10/120743.shtml
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It appears to be a gondola accessing the Rettenbach glacier above Solden. Eight reported dead, according to this report from Vorarlberg Online.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
9 dead now
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I believe the Rettenbach 'Gletscherexpress' gondola is involved: photo.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
http://www.tirol.com/chronik/oberland/18851/index.do
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I believe this is the same lift that was involved in a major emergency last November: this snowHeads thread.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ORF was reporting earlier that it may have been caused by a load-carrying helicopter dropping a concrete block or something similar on the cable.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This lift map (zoom button lower right, scroll to right) shows the gondola involved.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
http://www.networld.at/articles/0536/10/120743.shtml

I'll translate the first few lines.

750 kg heavy concrete block fell from helicopter onto car. Passengers were thrown from cabs.
Press conference for 16.00 o'clock in Soelden.

An accident on the aerial ropeway on Monday in the glacier skiing area of Soelden cost the life of 9 people. Several severely woundeds people were flown in the afternoon to the university clinic to Innsbruck. The accident might have been caused by the materials handling of a helicopter. The lift company operators will report on the accident, course of events and new details in a press conference in Soelden. The Press confenrence begins at 16.00 o'clock in the hotel central.

A metal excavator bucket 750 kilograms of concrete was being transported to the mountain station . According to elevator operator about 300 meters over the car, before it fell directly on the cab, which was torn from the anchorage. The victims are to have been in these and/or two further cabs, which got by oscillations out of control. Several passengers are to have been hurled in the free.

(I may of got the last sentence a bit wrong bubt I think you ge thte idea)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Stanton's points are also in this report from Sud Tirol Online .

According to that report the helicopter belonged to a Salzburg-based operator. The pilot was unable to explain what had gone wrong.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ouch! I was on that lift in April. The Reuters report does seem to indicate it's the Rettenbach 'Gletscherexpress' (lift 32 on the map). Although Soelden has 5 different gondolas that all look very similar, and some reports are vague as to which gondola it was.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Pictures

Click here
ski holidays
I've sat in the co-pilot's seat of choppers for many hours while flying load lifting from a hook under the belly of the machine to build overhead lines in Oman. These choppers had a sort of dead man's thumb on the pilot's joystick (or whatever the right term is...). The pilot had to keep pressure on all the time to keep the hook closed. We dropped a small drum of overhead line conductor into soft sand once because the load was swinging too violently and the pilot let it go. Oh what a tangled web. And once we dropped a wooden pole onto solid rock - end on. Quick way to make matchsticks. I suspect he forgot the switch and released it to scratch his nose.

Seriously, without prejudice to whatever has happened in this tragic incident, helicopters and load lifting are not such a happy combination as all these rescues and construction videos might lead you to believe.
latest report
You really have to be unlucky if you die in some lift malfunction but to die when someone drops 750Kg of building material on your cabin is really is unlucky Sad

Kind of reminds me of thay Yank Pilot who took out the Italian cable car a few years back. Nothiong wrong with the Lift but some third party idiot Mad
snow report
Yes, that was in 1998: a US Marines jet which cut the cable of a cablecar in Cavalese. 20 were killed.

In January 2004, a helicopter flew directly into the cable of the Grands Montets cablecar above Argentiere, near Chamonix, killing those on board the helicopter.
ski holidays
How awful. My worst nightmare is to die in in a cablecar accident.
latest report
Horrible, just horrible. Sad
snow conditions
All the victims originated from Germany. Six Children 3 Adults . There are several serverly injured & two in a critical state.
snow report
Some Grim photos here .

http://www.networld.at/index.html?/nw1/gen/slideshows/slide.php?show=chronik/inland/katastrophen/gondelabsturz_09_05&nopop=1&kid=10
snow conditions
The Heli Alpin Knaus company that operated the helicopter involved in yesterday’s accident has been involved in nine incidents that have claimed three lives, including that of company founder, Johann Knaus.

Herr Knaus, who once flew Pope John Paul II around Austria on a visit in 1988, died in November 1997 when the helicopter in which he was travelling crashed in the Grossarler Valley.

Anyone been Heliskiing with this outfit ?
snow report
This is not necessarily a bad record. I guess it's all got to be related to the number of flying hours, the types of missions involved and where they take place. I'm no expert on this, but helicopters in mountains presumably involve risks.

Ian's points above are interesting. Maybe something as potentially hazardous as the release of a concrete block should be dual-controlled. Dunno.
latest report
David, I guess the assumption is when you're swinging blocks of concrete under a helicopter that the pilot really doesn't want to have a discussion with anyone when things are going pearshaped Shocked

It seems to me like a quite spectacular piece of bad luck.
latest report
David, one of the chopper pilots (ex British army, then Oman Police) told me that with an underslung load, if it swings too far and the centre of gravity of the chopper and load combined moves outside a critical angle then the chopper simply inverts and attempts to fly upside down. The load tends to get in the way and a crash is inevitable. Hence the facility to get rid of the load without delay. I am not sure whether this 'dead man's thumb' thing is universal but I doubt if any pilot will be sympathetic to dual control.
ski holidays
kuwait_ian, from what I've seen of Swiss helicopters transporting heavy loads they seem to have a similar arrangement but it appears to be reversed i.e hook normally closed but a trigger can drop it, this requires a concious decision on the part of the pilot to drop the load and I guess is safer when trying to concentrate on mountainous terrain, but it is based on seeing only one arrangement at close quaters
snow conditions
Quote:
During many lifting operations, pilots often move their helicopters very little. They usually lift off, hover while the load is attached, and immediately—but slowly—move over to where they will lower the load. If anything goes wrong, such as an engine warning light coming on, they are under orders to immediately drop their load so as not to risk the aircraft. For this reason, the area underneath the flight path has to be empty. If the Skycrane is lifting an air conditioning unit to the middle of the roof of a large factory, for instance, the area inside the factory under the flight path has to be empty. A piece of machinery dropped from the helicopter would likely crash straight through the roof and kill anyone underneath. Many of these operations are also conducted at such low altitude that a total engine failure would be fatal.

More on this site http://www.centennialofflight.gov/essay/Rotary/skycranes/HE13.htm
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
(Can I just draw people's attention to my excellent first post in this thread. Such high standard of writing, not to mention image insertion, will unfortunately be unlikely to continue wink )
snow report
Wow, Ian. That seems highly significant, in the circumstances. I wonder how often that rule - and one now has to ask if it's an internationally-observed rule and/or observed in Austria - is breached? It must be very tempting for a heli pilot to take a short cut, thinking "It'll never happen".
snow conditions
I read this yesterday and it is just awful! It is such horrendous luck.... unless they were following the lift lines, imagine the chance that they drop it in the vicinity of the lift letalone accurately enough to hit a line and snap it. The pilot couldnt have done it if he tried!
snow conditions
An update to this story from Reuters.

Quote:
Prosecutors in the western Austrian state of Tyrol said they were investigating suspicions of manslaughter and negligence. He said the crushed gondola had been taken away for examination.

"We are investigating the suspicion of manslaughter under particularly dangerous circumstances and of negligence," said Wilfried Siegele, spokesman for the Innsbruck state prosecutor.

As this article points out, the outcome of the trial concerning the much larger Kitzsteinhorn disaster resulted in acquittals of all defendants. If the rules quoted by Ian above were to apply (maybe they are relaxed when shifting stuff across mountainscapes?) there would seem to be a prima facie case of negligence here.

Presumably the Austrian investigators can establish the key facts - the flight trajectory and regulations - very quickly indeed. I should think the parents of the dead children will be pressing for very rapid answers.
latest report
Needless to say, this is the top news on all the German TV News channels at 4pm today

ZDF have a reconstruction oin this video footage.

http://www.heute.de/ZDFmediathek/inhalt/21/0,4070,2371861-6-wm_dsl,00.html

(In German)
ski holidays
i love skking but this type of accident just scares the living daylights out of me, will be watching for helicopters and other aircraft this season.

what was the pilot even doing over lift lanes in the first place. sooooo much area to fly over he or she had to pick a line over a cable car, talk about negligence.

uh it makes me sick Mad
snow report
snowleopard, sometimes aircraft have to opperate close to lift lines, usually however they avoid them as they tend to be just as scared of killing themselves by coliding with the steel cables as we are of them killing us by doing the same
snow report
D G Orf, Yes, and occasionally the US Airforce like to fly under the lift lines, and then deny it. Memories of Cavalese? (sp)
snow conditions
snowbunny, I was skiing in the alps when that occured and was watching the european TV whilst it was going on, I have to say that it was one of the worst examples of US justice in the world at the time, they smuggled the US personel concerned out of Italy and in the end they just got kicked out of the military, the Italiens wanted them to be charged with their equivalent to manslaughter, as I recall they had a certain amount of justification to demand that, the aircraft was out of its permited flying area and far lower than its permitted altitude
ski holidays
When you live in an industrialized, mechanized society you always face these kinds of accidents. They're rare, though.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy