Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ankle Injury Advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there

I broke my ankle in April 2011 and had to have surgery, resulting in pins and plates which are staying in.

I want to go skiing in March with friends, but have never skied before and am looking for some advice.

Is it a good idea to go?

I am pretty much fully recovered from the injury now, 9 months on. But am concerned as to whether it is going to be too much for my ankle, or worse still, too easy to break it again.

Anyone had the same issue or any ideas?

As you can probably tell, I have no idea about skiing so any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks
George
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Unless your doctor has advised against skiing you should be fine providing your boots fit really really well and very snugly as they will stabilise your ankle almost as well as a cast! BUT and it is a big BUT! You may well find that in order for your boots to do their job properly they are so tight they press on your plates/screws, this has mean't for a friend of mine that he can no longer ski.
He is looking into whether the new custom fit (fischer ?) boots will be more comfortable and make it possible for him to resume skiing. That is a large expense to go to for a first time skier tho.
If I were you I'd invest in a lesson or 2 at a snowdome or dryslope and see if I could tolerate the boots before making a decision.
Good luck I hope you get on well as I love this sport and cannot imagine taking a holiday somewhere snowy and not skiing, sounds like hell to me!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Is it a good idea to go?

yes
Quote:

too much for my ankle

probably not
Quote:

too easy to break it again

doubt it, the boots offer much lateral support.

Your main issues are likely to be getting a boot to fit well on an ankle that is likely swollen with a tendency to swell more.

and

lack of flexion in that ankle

but as an absolute ski virgin you should be fine.

Once the bug's bitten you can get working on improving the flexion and get your own boots, fitted properly
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy