Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Euro

Poster: A snowHead
achilles, £ heading high again, now at 1.245. If you look at trends then the next 'level' for the £ is around 1.27-1.28. It is floating in unknown territory at the moment looking for somewhere to go.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
thefatcontroller, 1.4 would be a good place, back to where it all began........I'm hoping!!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Markymark29, Cool After several years of skiing @ 1:1 I'll take 1.20+ for now.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Should I cash in those I've got left over from skiing? I'm sitting on about E425 that I got at about 1.17 just before Easter usually I keep them to make next years trip a bit cheaper - am I about to take a nose dive with them?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
http://www.x-rates.com/d/EUR/GBP/graph120.html it seems to be pretty steadily increasing at the moment, with that much I'd cash it in
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Megamum wrote:
Should I cash in those I've got left over from skiing? I'm sitting on about E425 that I got at about 1.17 just before Easter usually I keep them to make next years trip a bit cheaper - am I about to take a nose dive with them?

Feel free to make a moneybroker rich. With that amount its pointless. Keep it for your next holiday.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thefatcontroller, Me too, but just living in hope re 1.4.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum,
You have made £23.87 - spend it wisely.

We have taken an option to buy next year's entire flow (quite a lot!!) at 1.3 - now we sit and wait.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wayne, Shocked
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
boredsurfin wrote:
Wayne, Shocked

That's what I was thinking, isn't it the other way around, isn't he losing money...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Iaink, not if the rate goes up to 1.35
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
if he buys £100 worth now at 1.30 he'll get 130€, f the rate goes up to 1.35 he'll get 135€ so surely that means he'll have lost out?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Iaink, it's an option so he has the right but not the obligation to buy at 1.30. his maximum loss is the premium (aka fee) he has paid for the option
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ahh, fair enough, I never have enough money to make this sort of thing worthwhile NehNeh
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wayne, I would have thought that I'd lost that much - if I had bought at 1.24 surely I'd have got more Euros than I got at 1.17 - haven't I lost? Or do I just not understand the way things work?
snow conditions
thefatcontroller, sorry, thanks for that - I'll sit on them then.
ski holidays
Kinda reminds me of petrol prices...how quickly we adjust to new realities...owt under £1.40 a litre and feels like a bargain. Let's hope that crashes and burns too.
ski holidays
Iaink, Arno, Oh yeah - other way round Embarassed
latest report
Iaink, boredsurfin, Megamum,

Oh yeah (this is why I have 2 accountants Toofy Grin )
€425 @ 1.75 cost £363.24
€425 @ 1.24 can be sold for £342.74
So you have lost £20.50

Ignore me - I'm very old now and my once awesome brain power can now only just manage to shuffle my decrepit, and increasingly wrinkly, frame towards the old person’s home where my kids will deposit me, before rushing off to spend their (small) inheritance on bags of sweets that they will scoff whilst watching (yet another episode of) Pepper Pig.

Oh and the option at 1.3 - Just in case anyone’s interested (DIY’ers may now leave the room).

All TO’s assume a certain rate of exchange when pricing a holiday.

It is VITAL that they get this about right or let’s just say it would cause some problems.

The reason for this is that some sections of the trip (that is supplied to you) are purchased, by the TO, in £’s and some in €’s.
eg (in our case).
Administration, advertising, flights, resort wages (although this is converted), uniforms, etc, etc are paid for in £’s

As we supply “fully” inclusive holidays the list of euro spending includes some items that other TO’s may not need to purchase e.g lift passes, etc.
In €’s we need to purchase, hotels, transfers, ski school, hire gear, lift passes, rent (on staff accomm.) fuel (resort vehicles), tolls, etc, etc, etc, (this is a LONG list).

Say you pay £100 for your trip.
The TO will need to convert some of this into €’s to be able to purchase “stuff”.

Say for example they have to buy €60
If the rate is 1.2 the €60 will cost £50, if the rate is 1.3 the same number of €’s will cost £46.15. OK this isn’t much (£3.85) but you need to remember that once you start buying €’s in batches of 250k per time, it does make a difference.

There are quite a number of way in which TO’s (and anyone else) can limit any losses from currency exchange. You can take out a Forward – this is where you agree to buy a certain amount of €’s when (if) the rate of exchange reaches a certain level, although you need to watch out for these as (sometimes) the contracts are binding, although there is no cost if the rate does not reach the agree level. You can purchase an Option – here you will have the Option to buy if the exchange rate reaches a certain level. Etc, etc. There are many, many, many more.

Anyway, we have purchased an option . This means that if the rate of exchange reaches 1.3 we can (if we wish) buy a certain amount of €’s. The option is on a 7 day roll (a more expensive type of option, but safer). So within 7 days of the rate reaching 1.3 we can either buy the €’s or not. If the rate slipping back, say to 1.29, we can still buy at 1.3, but if we see the rate bettering to say 1.31 we can simply not buy the €’s but in this case the bank will keep our Option fee. Don’t cha just love banks.

So, if you paid £100 for your trip and it cost the TO £95 to run it there are no problems, but if the rate moves in the wrong way then it could end up costing £105 and let's just say would not be good.
latest report
At launch £1 bought 1.65 German euro shows how low the pound has sunk, but all those goods we can’t sell now will be even less saleable at 1.30.
I smile at classic car dealers with all sorts of gear LHD bought when the pound sank; they still have them, so time to look around if you travel in Europe a lot and would like to drive an unreliable Aston or Italian magnificence.
snow report
Megamum, don't forget that currency exchanges buy and sell at different rates. I have just looked on the Postoffice website and they are currently buying euros at 1.40euro/£. If you use this rate and sell the 425 euros for Stirling, assuming that there are not any additional charges, you would only receive back £303.57.

They are currently selling at 1.21euro/£.
snow conditions
Wayne wrote:

Anyway, we have purchased an option . This means that if the rate of exchange reaches 1.3 we can (if we wish) buy a certain amount of €’s. The option is on a 7 day roll (a more expensive type of option, but safer). So within 7 days of the rate reaching 1.3 we can either buy the €’s or not. If the rate slipping back, say to 1.29, we can still buy at 1.3, but if we see the rate bettering to say 1.31 we can simply not buy the €’s but in this case the bank will keep our Option fee. Don’t cha just love banks.

To be fair to the bank they are taking on the risk (of the exchange rate movements) and they aren't going to do this for free. Nobody would.

Options are effectively a form of insurance and you wouldn't expect an insurance company to refund your premiums if you didn't make a claim on your travel insurance!
snow report
The surprising thing is that we are now almost (not quite, but almost) at a half way point of the £/€ exchange rate for the past 10 years
£1 to 1€ = low 0.97779, high 0.62321, now 0.80179

It almost pipped 1.25 today.
ski holidays
Am I right in thinking that a holiday sold in pounds is now more profitable as the euro weakens? There is some stuff bought in pounds, that costs the same as agreed already, and the forex rates make no difference, but the stuff bought in euros based on the 1.15 rates of a few weeks or months ago will now be cheaper because you can get more euros for your money.

This means that UK TOs are going to be more profitable. Or will be able to cut their prices for the next season.

Of course companies trying to export from the UK, or compete with goods imported and bought in euros, are going to have more of a problem. Then again, most stuff is bought in dollars from the big manufacturers in the Far East, so not much change there. We don't manufacture anything now anyway, so might as well make the stuff we have to buy in cheaper Smile
ski holidays
Well I guess they all compete to bring the customer the lowest price they can so they probably have a team of accountants who predict the exchange rates
latest report
Iaink, let's hope that they are better than the team that Gordon Brown had predict gold prices.
ski holidays
achilles, Laughing

I really hope it's not accountants predicting rates!
latest report
Quote:

This means that UK TOs are going to be more profitable. Or will be able to cut their prices for the next season.

Right, but bear in mind that we've had 4 years of pain dealing with a horrendous exchange rate. I wouldn't expect a rush to drop prices!

FWIW, when we set up in spring 2008, rate was somewhere around 1.3. We based our business plan (very sensibly, we thought) on a rate of 1.2. By Christmas, it was 0.99. That is a big hit to take for a new business! Shocked
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Iaink wrote:
Well I guess they all compete to bring the customer the lowest price they can so they probably have a team of accountants who predict the exchange rates

I think if I had a team of accountants that could predict exchange rates I wouldn't be in the travel industry, I'd be a Forex trader. The TOs have no more clue about what the exchange rates will do than the average man on the street. Which, amusingly, seems to be about the same as people who try and predict it for a living.
latest report
Accountants can't predict anything - fact. Actually economists aren't too hot either. Gambling instinct of your barrow boy trader is probably your best bet for human prediction.
snow report
I'm signed up to a regular Forex advice email. It's absolutely brilliant! Every week the same - if the rate has gone up during that week the advice is always to hold-off on purchases because the rate is going up, if the rate has gone during that week it's always make the purchase now or cover yourself with a forward because the rate is going down. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
fatbob wrote:
Accountants can't predict anything - fact. Actually economists aren't too hot either.

Rubbish! Economists have accurately predicted 9 of the last 5 recessions.
snow report
Spanish banks in the pooh. As far as currency goes, a substantial holding of $US-based wealth seems a good idea - despite the problems in the States.
snow report
andyph, Laughing
latest report
Pound hits highest level against the Euro since November 2008
snow report
1.274 today....
snow report
 cran
cran
Nadenoodlee, CaxtonFX +1
latest report
There's been a few blips but in general the last year's basic trend has been in one direction only.

snow report
Up, up and away. Heading towards 1.28 Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Want 1.4!!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy