Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

School boot camp fro pupils on ski trip?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We're off on our School ski trip in Feb but my dilemma is that we have 6 pupils in our school that are obese and do zero exercise, and they're all coming... I'm wary of them slowing down the beginner group.

Do I:

1. introduce boot camp post school 'delicately'post school for all skitrip participants?
2. Have a quiet word to mind the carbs and exercise?
3. Introduce them to one of our PE teachers and get them a personalised plan?

I'm thinking 3 but anyone have any experience of this? We only have a few months until we're off on our School Skiing Trip so what'd you reckon?

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ooh plenty of scope for putting your foot in it I'd say! You don't say how old the kids are, I'm assuming secondary school? If I were you I'd ask your colleague P.E teacher to "suggest" some exercises for core and leg strength in particular then get the whole group in to learn what they ought to be doing to prevent injury. I'd also send a letter home reminding the parents that now is the time for their darling offspring to be stepping up their activity levels or they may get a nasty shock on the slopes and maybe suggest they encourage the kids to walk the dog etc...
Good luck with this, kids see through any attempt at subtlety and are probably quite aware of their weight and athletic ability! Having said that I am a right chunk myself and am out as soon as the lifts start until patrol kick me off, as the kids are unlikely to be heavy smokers to boot they may surprise you! Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It may not be them that 'slow down' the beginners - it may be the skinny child with no balance, or the one just recovering from 'flu. Surely the ski trip is a holiday for the children as much about being away with school friends as it is about skiing, for most. Anyway, if you're going in February, it is almost certainly too late to make any real difference, so relax and leave them be.

Oh, and they might surprise you - kids have a habit of doing that.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks liliwhite and Yellow Pyranha - i think the way forward is to go the PC route and have workshops/education seminars of core/leg exercises for the whole party, and then relax!!

Good point in that it may well be the skinny one with no balance too...

Anyhow the secondary school pupils are really excited too and with 800km of the Ski Amade on the School skiing trip maybe the bigger pupils willl come back streamlined after all!!!

I don;t trust my subtlety and even less so from the PE dept Laughing Laughing so I think I'll just sit back and let kids be kids...!! Thanks for your time in replying - appreciated.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
When I went on a ski trip with school the teachers organised a day out to the local dry slope for us to ensure we're were all upto basic standards. I was probably the most overweight person in the group(still am) and it didn't stop me one bit, I was out after the rest of the class all the time.

Handing out a list of leg and core exercises is definitely a good idea though.

The absolute last thing you should be doing is singling them out though, nothings worse for a self conscious teen than being singled out as different.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Kids have an amazing way of just pushing through it, when they're doing something they really enjoy.

Obviously you don't want them to hurt themselves, but i'm sure they will be fine. They're beginners after all so it's unlikely they'll be doing anything too strenuous?

And as it has already been pointed out, skinny kids are not necessarily fit!

Have a great trip Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ive been in similar situations before, not worth the risk offending someone.
Skiing with schools is about the experience, the group bond and the scenery.
As has been mentioned, kids have this ability to just plough on through. Size doesnt matter to much for beginner/intermediates so dont Fret,

The best thing to do is make sure they are all warmed up in the morning. Helps start the day nice and positive and Ive always found this sets the tone!

My method....requires Ipod with mini travel speakers ......

There is always some faffing about at the start of the day near the bottom.
When the kids are booted up, and waiting for the instructors, play something along the lines of Queens, we will rock you. Have them all stomp around in time to the beat for a minute of two.
followed by the 'irish jig'...we all line up hands on the shoulders of the people next to you...find a jolly song and have them swing their legs back and forth, 5 reps with the left legs, 5 with the right...for a minute or two....followed by the twist and shout.... where we ....shake off and act silly for a minute.

I made a mini mashup of We will Rock you, The wind that shakes the barely (Dancing Willow) and ...twist and shout!

Top Tip!
Get the staff involved and have someone handy with a camera....if the kids are enjoying it, you will have someone fall over....you will get some amusing facial expressions for Bribery...sorry...humerus reflection at a later date.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I used to run ski exercise sessions at lunchtime prior to departure.......................
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think it would be a great opportunity to try to encourage those larger members of the group to try and get into some kind of fitness. I don't see any harm in suggesting an after school boot camp just for the skiers, without singleing out the bigger ones. As pointed out by YP it may be the skinny ones that slow the group, and therefore it would be beneficial for the whole group to train for the holiday.

I'd think something along the lines of a circuits class, incorporating cardio and some strength, balance and core using minimal equipment, just hand weights and benches are needed. They can work in groups, lots of laughs, and everyone can work at their own pace. The worst thing I remember about PE at school is having teams/groups chosen as the less able were never picked, just left until last. Names out of a hat would be a much nicer way to make groups.

The circuits class I go to (or was going to until I wrecked my knee!) was based on 30, 45 or 60 seconds on each exercise with laps around the sports hall inbetween. Using seconds rather than reps means no-one will fail.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jellies are an accepted part of a ski instructor's life (so they tell me)
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy