Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Iranian women only allowed to ski if accompanied by a male relative

Poster: A snowHead
An Iranian police circular has stated that women and girls are now only allowed to ski in Iran if they are accompanied by a husband, father or brother. Bad news for all those keen female skiers, as the first snow hits the mountains around Tehran....Sources: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/blogpost/post/iran-to-women-no-skiiing-unless-with-a-male-guardian/2011/11/10/gIQAgQ878M_blog.html
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quite Right.

Men are notoriously more skilled in advising against the evils of inner tip lead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bad news if its true, , I dont know, but I will proberly go there early march, after my trip to Taho in beginning of feb, complete different, yes I know, the nice thing to have 2 passport, Use my french for US and my swedish for Iran, It will be like last time I was in Iran, I book very shorttime in advance, to see what happens political Puzzled Its now possible to have your visa for max 2weeks direct on the airport, takes about 3-4 hours
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
freeheelskier, Might you perhaps consider boycotting that rabid hell-hole?

I mean Taho(e), obviously
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
admin, and no removing your GiroBurqua 9 at the side of the piste either Sad
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
red 27, I was to quick,, losing the (e)
I only want powder, dont give a shiit for politic,,,
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
freeheelskier, yes we gathered that
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This ruling (if enforced) is incompatible with the sexual segregation of lift queues, and at least some slopes, which did operate when I skied there ('97-2001ish). And if you have boys and girls sliding around together how can you tell whether they really are male relatives?

There are lots of rules in Iran which both ex-pats and nationals find ways to circumvent - I'm sure this one will not seriously interfere with the ski scene. It is dominated by the middle class Iranians and they are highly skilled in working around the restrictions.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dubaian, no lift segregation at any of the places I skied there last Dec/Jan. Not that I noticed anyway.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'd be happier if they'd all keep their skis on whilst riding chairlifts over pistes however...
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dubaian, Im complete with oz5000, about lift segrgation, I have not seen that, I was in Dizin and Shemshak for 3 weeks 1999 and skiing Tochal 1 week 2006, Its a myth,,
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have just receved a pm on facebook from a friend that lives in Iran and Guiding in Dizin area, I have ask about this, they have hear about it as international rumors,, but Its NOT true,, Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
freeheelskier, I'm not all that surprised. With all the talk about new war starting soon, they need to present future enemy as worse people you can get. So such small news might actually just establish this kind of thinking more and more. So personally US newspapers/TV stations would be my last source of credible information, especially about places like Iran. But you need to see this kind of things yourself at least once, to realize how ridiculous thinking most of Western people (who were never closer then 10.000km to Iran) have about those places. Wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
primoz, Quite right. i mean no way is Iran a religious dictatorship that executes homosexuals in it's main squares (it's not true, sometimes they hold the executions in sports stadiums). It's president is not antisemitic, he's not a holocaust denier and they're not trying to build nuclear weapons. No way! And don't listen to the CNN, NBC or The NY Times (as the're only writing what the state censorship allows then), only the free thinking bastion of independent speech that is Pravda should do for us!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sugardaddy, just out of curiosity... How many times you were in Iran, and how many times did you ski there?
If you read reply from freeheelskier, then obviously I'm more right here then you. This info which Washington Post published is not true, so what else would you want?
They have death sentence? Yeah I don't agree with it, but if I remember it right, USA has it to. They are trying to build nuclear weapons? Are you sure about this, because those info mostly come from USA and Israel. Besides... even if they are... so what? Where does it say, nuclear weapons are only allowed in countries like USA, Russia, Israel... Their president denies holocaust? So does 90% of extreme right wing parties (legal and non-legal ones) around the world. Their president is antisemitic? poo-poo happens... Was Bush anti-muslim? I guess he was. Is Shimon Peres anti-muslim? I would say so. So I don't see much of problems here.
latest report
primoz, none of the people you mention (or in fact the countries with nukes you mention) have said things like "[x country] should be wiped off the face of the earth". Nor have they said that about any islamic countries. Ahmedinejad has said EXACTLY that about Israel. more than once.

The info re nukes is not coming from the US or Israel, it's coming from the UN (check it out). If Iran was not run by a madman (or several), I am sure there would be less talk about taking steps (e.g. attacking them) to prevent them from getting nukes.

Also, sugardaddy was not saying "Iran is bad because it has the death penalty"; he was saying "they are bad because the have the death penalty JUST FOR BEING (or acting out) HOMOSEXUAL." There is a big difference there.
snow report
I suppose Iranian ski hen party weekends are not much fun then.
snow conditions
boardiac, I agree... noone said that, they just nuke them (let's try to remember Vietnam, Afghanistan (Soviet Union before and USA nowadays), Iraq, Libya, and few others). I also agree about UN. But when being at least a bit realistic you have to admit that UN is nothing more then puppet in hands of very few nations. About homosexuals... is shooting them (if they really do that, which I doubt at least based on this which I managed to read now) so much different then "healing" them, what most of western countries did till not so far ago? But anyway... I'm out of here. It's not place for this kind of conversation anyway.
latest report
primoz, wrote
Quote:

Their president denies holocaust? So does 90% of extreme right wing parties (legal and non-legal ones) around the world. Their president is antisemitic? poo-poo happens...

please correct me, but it would appear that you don't think that having a president that holds extreme right wing views is a bad thing. I wonder what do you think about neo-nazis coming to power in Germany. Oh, yes,you've told us
Quote:

So I don't see much of problems here.

how about the UN intervining in the war in Yugoslavia? Clearly not as
Quote:

poo-poo happens...

Is NobelPeace Prize winner Shimon Peres anti-muslim? Please back up your allegations, find a quote that is even remotly similar "Israel should be wiped off the map, Israel must not be"
latest report
Ahmadinejad didn't say "Israel should be wiped off the map" because no such idiom exists in Persian you clod. What he did say was that the regime should be destroyed. After Netanyahu's frankly anti-democratic legislation was passed in the Knesset it looks like it may be if he keeps prodding Iran. Everyone's shitting themselves about Iran's possible nuclear weapons, what about Israel? They refuse to sign nuclear treaties that every other civilised coutry has, and even refuse to admit they have nuclear arms. Yet we indulge these brats. I wonder how far this will go if war in Iran happens, given Obama's revealing comments in the press recently.
snow report
andersont,wrote
Quote:

you clod

ad hominem attacks are always the trademark of peace-loving intelligent people.
Fluent in Persian, are you? The regime??? So all he wants is to change the ruling party in Israel? But why destroy it?
Quote:

it looks like it may be if he keeps prodding Iran

How noble of Iran to take care of preserving Israel's democracy! It seems you're hoping Ahmadinajad will soon show the same consideration, care and concern towards the UK democracy!
Anyway, your post concerns itself with Israel while the discussion was about Iran and whether the main news channels and papers in democratic countries are only propaganda organs for the "official line".
Anyway no matter, maybe if the discussion was in Persian, you'd have noticed
ski holidays
Like, f123 off guys! Not the place for this s123 at all.

Every one else go ski Iran - super friendly, generous, welcoming people; super dry, empty-sloped high-altitude powder, and super illegal but delicious and available 40% grappa when you get to know a few locals. snowHead
snow report
oz5000,
Quote:

super friendly, generous, welcoming people

I'm sure you're right. It's not about the people, the regular joe that busts his behind to make ends meet.
Quote:

super dry, empty-sloped high-altitude powder

I would like to go, but not while the place is ruled by religious nutcases that make the spanish inquisition look good
Quote:

super illegal but delicious
snow report
I'm wondering how people could be this blind and naive. sugardaddy, you are getting your info from where? Newspapers? Same newspaper which reported, Iranian women are not allowed to ski without being accompanied by a husband, brother or father? Same newspaper which minute later was proven to lie about this? And you still trust them, they are 100% correct on every other issue?
I really love attitude you guys have, without being able to think at least a little bit with your own brain. Step a little bit aside and look on all this a bit more critical. You might find out your opinion is really really screwed up Wink
And once again... go to Iran and see all this "horrors" yourself. You might be surprised when finding out things are totally different, then your favorite newspaper/tv station is trying to present Wink
ski holidays
primoz, I guess you would have said the same about reports of Stalin's gulags (that reports are either lies or exaggerations)

Quote:

they are 100% correct on every other issue?

Never said that. Of course one has to keep checking the facts. But a erroneous report does not discredit all the US newspapers and TV stations.

Quote:

So personally US newspapers/TV stations would be my last source of credible information

Sorry, but your thinking that other news sources are more reliable is the naive point of view. And if you can name one news agency that is right 100% of the time and is completely un-biased, please name it.

Quote:

And once again... go to Iran and see all this "horrors" yourself

OK, I'll be travelling with my wife. Surely she won't have to dress in a burqa, and the fact that in our passports we both have US entry visas won't pose a problem, right?

Oh, and BTW nice try not responding to my points about your post coming across as supporting (or at least being indifferent) extreme right wing (i.e. neo-nazi) governments in Europe.
ski holidays
sugardaddy wrote:
OK, I'll be travelling with my wife. Surely she won't have to dress in a burqa, and the fact that in our passports we both have US entry visas won't pose a problem, right?

We she can wear it if she wants, but my wife didn't need to, neither did any of our friends with who we were there. I don't know about your passport, but both of our passports had entry stamps from US custom in them, yet we still didn't have any problems, and even less we were arrested for being spy or something. But feel free to believe whatever your preferred newspaper told you about those places.
sugardaddy wrote:
Oh, and BTW nice try not responding to my points about your post coming across as supporting (or at least being indifferent) extreme right wing (i.e. neo-nazi) governments in Europe.

Where and when did I write I support neo-nazis?? All I wrote was, that Iran's president is not only extremist in governments around the world, yet noone has problems with anyone else. But to be honest, I'm not surprised you took that as my support to neo-nazis. With your way of thinking, such conclusions and accusations are perfectly normal Wink
ski holidays
Quote:

All I wrote was, that Iran's president is not only extremist in governments around the world,

is not equal to

Quote:

Their president denies holocaust? So does 90% of extreme right wing parties

and
Quote:

Their president is antisemitic? poo-poo happens...

And frankly you do sound like the newspapers I remember from Romania, which were full of the shortcomings of the western democracies

If you want to accuse the US of something, accuse them of not supporting the Iranian students two years ago, accuse them of not intervening in Syria right after throwing Mubbarak under the bus while being well aware that all available options are worse than him (it looks like they're goona get a military dictatorship, the poor souls )

Let me ask you this, if you had to decide today between being a journalist in Teheran or a journalist in Washington, what would be your choice?

Me? I still think that the old romanian joke holds true (even after Guantanamo and Al Grahib):

A young recruit to the Romanian army attended a "political studies" lesson.
The officer in charge asks him: If you see an American soldier and a Soviet soldier coming towards you, who do you shoot? The recruit answers: The American, of course, comrade.
Content, the officer asks the recruit to explain his decision to the class, so he says:
I'm shooting the American because if the Russians win, I'll be on the winning side, and if they lose, i'd rather be a prisoner for the Americans.....
latest report
Yes and you obviously didn't get my point in this what you quoted. If Ahmadinejad with his opinion about holocaust is reason why to bomb Iran, then I don't see any reason not to bomb Germany, USA or any other country. Next thing is, if someone's opinion against other religion is reason to bomb country, then I don't see what is difference between someone having grunge against Christians and someone having issues with Muslims. Bombing Muslims is ok, while telling Christians should f** off is not ok, and such people are terrorists which deserve to die?
It's useless to talk about US doing or not doing something. They did more then enough poo-poo already, so there's no need to accuse them much more. They offered more then enough support to those same regimes which later on they bombed when they didn't serve them anymore the way current US president/congress wanted.
I have no idea if I sound like newspapers you remember from Romania, since I have no idea how it really was in Romania, nor how newspapers look(ed) like. But I know one thing for a fact, and that is, there's no reliable source which you can trust without having second thought. Not in West (US and Co.) not in East (Russia, China and Co.). And that's all I wanted to say, but obviously it's too much for some people who build their opinions exclusively on media serving one side.
PS: Where would I rather be? Nowhere of those two countries. Neither Teheran nor Washington has enough of freedom. If you don't believe it, it's really not my problem, but I personally know quite few journalists from land of free who got fired when they understood their freedom of speech a bit to literally. For me both countries are great for holidays, but there's no way I would want to live (and work) in any of those two.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Neither Teheran nor Washington has enough of freedom.

That's just a way of not dealing with the isssue. You're saying that because the freedom of speech is not perfect in the US, than you can't say anything bad about the freedom of speech in any other place, no matter how totalitarian.
Quote:

If Ahmadinejad with his opinion about holocaust is reason why to bomb Iran

No, it's not quite like that. He's not saying "I just hate them", re US, Israel, Christians, Spain (he sees about half of spain as part of the "Islamic Halifat"). He's not a drunk in apub uttering nonsense. It's more like your neighbour going to buy a machine gun and telling everybody that he hates you and the gun is for killing you and your family. You would expect the local police to do something, wouldn't you?
You come across as having the attitude "the Americans can't do anything good or right, so i'll automaticaly support whoever's against them".

But let me ask you this, if the religious dictators get their hands on nuclear weapons, what chances will have the iranian people for a change to the better? Way slimmer. So in fact, you're supporting blocking
ski holidays
Iran will never start to attack Israel, the regim provocate to have israel to start, and US and Europe must put Israel under pressure to have them to understand that they dont can play like they do, they still think that rest of the world will fell sorry for the jewish people for what happens 70 years back, but its not the jewish people, I know, its the extrem regim of israel, but someone has to stop them, about Iran there is a christian minorite living in the mountain north of Tehran, alot of the people that works at the skistation are christian, they work and live together in harmony with the muslims, they are allowed to produce alcohol (Wine) very good red Wine, but not to offer to the muslims, When I have friends there I have been at partys, that proberly will make the most people very surprised, and the Persian women are very beautiful wink
ski holidays
sugardaddy wrote:
But let me ask you this, if the religious dictators get their hands on nuclear weapons, what chances will have the iranian people for a change to the better?

I just don't get why this "religious dictators" are always those bad guys from (some) Arab countries? How about some particular religious fanatic who was not very long ago president of biggest democracy on World? And please don't tell me Bush is not religious fanatic. God help us, god bless us, god leads us, god will do this, god will do that were constants in his vocabulary, and in his doings. Pushing god everywhere is pretty good sign of being religious fanatic, and in my opinion one god or the other god doesn't make much of a difference... even if Christian god is most likely perfectly fine for you, while Muslim god is full of terror.
And as far as I remember, Bush has or better to say, he had, nuclear weapons on reach of his finger. As far as "dictators" go... Ahmadinejad was elected, just as Bush was elected. Election results in Iran were falsificated? Could be, but let's try to remember how Bush did become president Wink So basically you are talking how bad USA are at same time as you are accusing Iranians of all those things, because all those things are extremely similar in both countries. Except with one difference. Iran didn't start a single war yet (let's not discuss now things 2000 years ago). How many wars did USA start until now?
snow conditions
Quote:

all those things are extremely similar in both countries.

Bush's gone. Is the US perfect? Far from it. Am I worried about the increased influence of some religious evangelist nuts in US politics? You bet. BTW I agree with the French idea of separation of state and religion. The US system is imperfect while the Iran regime is simply bad. North Korea isn't muslim, but shouldn't have nuclear weapons. It's not the specifics of the religion that are worrisome, but the dictatorship (and yes, Iran's politics are much closer to North Korea than they're to the US).

But if you think that Iran is somewhat comparable to the US, you've too many Jagertees my friend. Or maybe too many hours on the team bus sitting to close to political commissar back in you skiing days?
Quote:

How many wars did USA start until now?

Maybe you regret their intervention in the Yugoslav war. Maybe it would have been better from your point of view to let Milosevich regain control over all former members of Yugoslavia?
snow report
You really have no idea what you are talking about Wink Whole war in Yugoslavia started because of USA and France. Serbians got their "ok go for it" from USA and France, so they went for it. On the end things went "a bit" too far, so USA came as rescuer for those people, which their politics sent straight into hell. So please, don't go this way, since you have no idea what you are talking about.
PS: Believe it or not, Yugoslavia was nowhere near Eastern block. I never saw political commissar in my life (I don't count those which Eastern block countries had in their teams), so once again, you really have no idea what you are talking about. And yes, I believe your popular newspaper was feeding you with all sorts of crap (including the one about Iranian women ski ban), so your views to situation in World are "a bit" wrong Wink
snow report
I know that Yugoslavia had a much better situation (actually thanks to Tito, with all his other shortcomings). But as someone who has lived under a real dictatorship, I'm telling you that every single one your arguments could have been, and was used to defend an opressive rule. Did you know that even after Stalin's horrors were made public by and in the USSR, many left wing people in the West continued to claim it was only American propaganda?
What I'm saying that your stance is doing nothing for the regular Iranian people but prolongue their suffering, and please separate your dislike of the US and this issue. The fact that the US is on one side (or that it makes mistakes) does not make the other side right!
Look at North Korea. Almost all hope of helping it's people through regular policy and pressure it's been lost since they got the A bomb. Is that what you wish for the Iranian people only to spite the Americans?!
ski holidays
The skiing in Iran is 'awesome'.

Don't believe the hype - when we were there last year it was super mellow on the slopes and the locals were great fun. Iran isn't how you would imagine. There are 2 branches of Debenhams in Tehran and one about to open in Shiraz for starters.

Few pics here - http://cargocollective.com/henryiddon#1437684/Ski-Iran

I've doen several talks on the trip including one last week at Kendal Mountain Festival - drop me a note if you want to here more.

BBC R4 Excess Bagage interview here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b011290b
snow conditions
I mean earlier this year - not last !
ski holidays
weeSKI wrote:
Iran isn't how you would imagine. There are 2 branches of Debenhams in Tehran and one about to open in Shiraz for starters.

So, worse than I'd imagined, much much worse... Is Iran where C&A went?
ski holidays
http://www.telemarktribe.com/it/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=927&Itemid=65
Nice article if someone understand Italian Very Happy
snow report
red 27 wrote:
weeSKI wrote:
Iran isn't how you would imagine. There are 2 branches of Debenhams in Tehran and one about to open in Shiraz for starters.

So, worse than I'd imagined, much much worse... Is Iran where C&A went?

Smile
latest report
At least the ski lifts still exist. In Pakistan and Afghanistan, those tiny little pieces of metal have been torn away.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy