Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Santa got me a Vacoped boot for Christmas, any advice?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A few days before Christmas I ruptured my Achilles tendon and had a Vacoped boot fitted.

It now feels a little loose and I noticed on the box it is a large size 44 - 50. Normally wear a UK9 shoe (as I told the hospital) which I thought to be a Euro43 size. Going to ring the hospital and quiz them as I think it's too big.

Anybodies thoughts, advice or experience with these would be welcome for the weeks ahead.

Thanks.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Certainly size 9 = 43, I'd get on the phone to NHS direct
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
e.g., use the little pump to suck out more of the air from the inner sock. Every time mine seemed to be loose I just made the sand sock tighter by getting more air out of it. Make sure the cap on the inner sock is firmly closed as it can be loose then air seeps back in making you think it is getting looser.

I was in one of those last summer for about 6 weeks when I broke my ankle in 2 places. Brilliant devices and so much more comfortable than any kind of plaster. Lovely just to be able to take it off and get in the bath for example. If you want to shower make sure you have an anti-slip mat in there, they are worth their weight in gold. If your shower is big enough a plastic stool to sit on helps as well.

Good luck with the rehab. Did you have to have surgery at all?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Pumping the air out is having little effect on the fit. Can sense it working, but still feels a bit loose.

No surgery. Have to see how this conservative treatment goes first.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Has Blakoe effect if pumped hard
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
e.g., Unlucky and having popped mine in august 2011 know the recovery route all too well.

I would suggest you go in to the physio dept in yr hospital pronto and sort this direct and fast. No idea why loose but they shld.

Perhaps yr injury is not as serious as a full blown ACR as amazed they wld put you in a Vacoped from the off. I had the op, then two weeks in cast then eight in Vacoped, which are brilliant contraptions. Those who go non surgical route normally see 8-10 weeks in a plaster cast before Vacoped. If you have had a full rupture you may want to get a second opinion on right course of action appropriate for the injury/you.

All the best for the months ahead, I am now 18 weeks post op and only another 10ish weeks from being able to ski. Tis a long haul and best to take that on chin from outset, be patient but do all yr exercises as the physios instruct and you'll do fine.

Do PM me if u need more detailed stuff.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Comiserations, I did mine back in June.....on a First Aid course!

I had surgery to repair, a month in plaster then "the boot". I have v small feet and ended up buying my own boot as the NHS one was way too big. The issue I found was that when I started to load bear (still with crutches) with a boot that was way bigger than my foot I could not "walk through/over" my toes and so it made me have a "swing out" gait. This I felt was not good for my hip and was not good for recovery so I bought a correct sized Revbound Air Walker and found it considerably more comfortable for me and allowed me to have a "propper" gait.

My advice is only based on personal experience (but was not debunked by the surgeon) but:

1. I replaced their heel lifts with my own system based on my ski boot footbed, I have solid custom orthotics and that gave my foot far better support than the NHS wedges.
2. I started carefully and very gently turning over my bike on a turbo trainer once I was confident that I could hold some muscle tone/tension in my calf while still wearing the boot. I'd be careful with this without surgery but the principle is based on the collagen fibres needing some load to encourage them to align when healing. This was well in advance of the conventional physio and was based on research I did on the internet. I do stress this is not professional advice but based on my experience and I'm sure it helped me get full range of movement very early. However the NHS physio near had a fit when I told her - though my Sports Physio thought it was a great idea. His advice was to work it and "let pain be my guide".
3. I do not recomend falling down steps! I did that after about 6 weeks, I stumpled on some steps outside a shop/office and stepped down 2 steps straight onto my bad foot! A face plant would have been less painful but the surgery held (and the boot) so after some terror of having torn the surgery it perversely gave me confidence in it.
4. I also bought a "night foot". I was told to wear the air boot in bed but my foot was cooking in it. The lighter Night Foot was great. I also used this to wean myself off the full boot during recovery, particularly to help take some of the strain using the turbo trainer.
5. I bought some decent crutches with palm supports. The NHS ones killed my hands so I looked up the local Mobility Centre (Woking in my case) and bought a decent pair.
6. You will be amazed at how quickly you get muscle wastage in your calf/leg. This is normal - but was one thing that influenced me to start using my turbo trainer early.

The advice I was given was for an active person then surgery reduces the re-rupture rate. Recovery time is about the same with both. It was pretty clear to me after seeing two surgeons that one recomended passive recovery becasue he did not ask me about my lifestyle and the second (whilst they can't actually recommend surgery these days!) when he talked through my lifestyle was pitching surgery as being the way to go. I do have to praise the NHS at Guildford. I did it on the Saturday and they had me down for Surgery the next day. Unfortunately that got bounced due to a higher priority emergency (can't complain about that) and they operated first thing on the Monday.

Best of luck - feel free to PM me if you want any more info.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DoubleBombardino, Tomichi, thanks for your thoughts. How painful was it? I've not needed painkillers at any point, it's just ached a bit. Is this normal? I'm pretty sure it is not a full rupture and anterior slab in A&E followed by Vacoped for 8-10 weeks is now standard treatment here. Surgery has been mentioned briefly but does not appear to be favoured. Now have a medium size Vacoped boot and am much happier with it.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
e.g., Well sure was painful when it popped and then was a case of normal painkiller stuff post op. Thereafter no real pain to speak of bar missing all this epic snow!

Seems clear on what info we have exchanged that the injury is q diff in extent to what me/other poster have had so tricky if not ill-advised to advise! Other than consult the experts and trust them unless v good reasons apparent not to...all the v best for the next few weeks.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mine was excruciating when it went and after 20 mins nothing, then actually in terms of pain management it got quite funny.

In the ambulance (I was at a sports centre when I did it) the paramedic asked if I was in pain "I can give you some gas if you are in pain".."no thanks it's fine it does not hurt now"..."Do you want some gas anyway"

Happy

Then in the hospital they kept stuffing me with painkillers, me - "but it doesn't hurt" nurse - "ah but it will, you'd better take them"

It only hurt really immediately post op but you'd expect that with a hole in the back of the ankle.

BUT.....

Came to take the plaster off and the first time I had to get some flex to fit the "boot". That HURT. So I'm taking a rest from "really push to key you heel down on the pads", sweat coming from forehead. The nurse says "didn't you take some painkillers before coming? You should have......"

Ah well.....

Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
All going good, consultant said is healing well carry on. Still no real pain, just an annoying bad ache at times. Had just got the hang of walking with it fixed at 30 degrees and has now been adjusted so it flexes 15-30 degrees, was uncomfortable for a day. Apparently 0-15 degrees is proper painful nurse recommended prior painkillers for that.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy