Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Who'd dare ski on a pair of these?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The Street Ski

Do the release bindings inspire confidence? Quite hard to do a hockey stop on a pair of these!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 2-09-05 9:11; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
invisible skis ??
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sorry. Sorted now!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
" Milkie hit hard by poor ski season"

Puzzled
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My brain's in pretty bad shape this morning too. Try the link now!
[The milkman story has been floated into Apres]
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It doesn't look like the brake would actuallly touch the ground.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Scepticism aside, it would genuinely be very interesting to hear from anyone who's used Street Skis. The lack of any apparent heel brake pad, as you'd get on an inline skate:

makes these Street Skis look totally scary to me.

The problem is ... once you reach a given speed on a pitch that's more than gentle it can be virtually impossible to slow down without a complete bail out (and its consequences!). I remember skateboarding down a mountain pass in Austria once (you only live twice) and heading for a bend that was just a little too tight. With a skateboard you can at least jump off ... and watch the board go over the edge ...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
David Goldsmith, lucky also there was no-one below...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have skied on roller skis - the nordic equivalent. Hills are interesting - you've got a couple of choices.
1) Go for it and hope you get round any corners and there is a run out at the bottom (ie check first!!!).

2) Step the skis around so you go down the hill in a series of big Ss. The good skiers at Huntly Nordic Ski Club can do this down a surprisingly narrow slope.

The third choice of falling over is not to be recomended especially when wearing shorts and a T-shirt!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Having now read the text on the http://www.streetski.com website, it's clear they've thought about this. No fewer than 5 braking techniques are detailed in the 'how to' section (scroll down), though how effective they'd be beyond a certain speed it would be interesting to know.

Here's a summary of the stopping methods, in the FAQs:
Quote:
Q: How do you stop?
A: You can stop several ways. Using a T-Stop the same way an inline skater would stop, by dragging one skate off to the side and applying pressure to the skate to slow down. Another way is using a snowplow technique similar to snow skiing, where you bring the fronts of your skates inward while applying pressure to the tails of the skate forcing them outward. Other stopping techniques include carving wide turns and traversing the road to slow your speed. Visit the "How To" Page for more details.

Snowploughing on those things must be ... life-changing?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
David Goldsmith, they most noticeably fail to mention the spin stop! As the V-stop is so often a turning stop, this is somewhat noteworthy.

I really wonder how many miniski users have tried heel-to-heel shoulder-first descents. It is certainly possible with shorter grass skis.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy