Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is my Skiing Level?

Poster: A snowHead
We have updated our guidelines to skiing "levels" and would welcome any suggestions or comments.

It has been real difficult to put together some simple guidelines to clearly differentiate skiers into distinct levels, most "level" systems we have seen you could slot into numerous bits of several levels

We use this when trying to put skiers in groups for training , not as a way to hand out tufty badges or certificates wink

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 22-12-11 13:52; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would say that about sums it up, and i am defo a number 7.

Problem is i think i will always be a 7
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm a 6 who thinks he's a 9 Smile
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Athletes and Instructor Trainers,

"I am a fluid skier with a unique style"

I have been told I skimwith a unique style. What does this say about my ability? Twisted Evil
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
under a new name, Laughing Laughing sounds familiar ! my (level 6 Toofy Grin ) mate i was skiing with this week in heavy snow says he can always pick me out.... didnt say i was "fluid" though and i am definitely not an athlete or L4 skier, so perhaps we have it right on that one !!

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 22-12-11 14:00; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
skimottaret, IMO there's a slight usability problem with all that expanding and sliding around on the page. When you're trying to determine whether - say - you're a 7 or an 8, and some of the differences are fairly subtle, it's hard to do an A/B comparison, because you have to keep chopping and changing between them.

Maybe a table format would be a good idea? Sort of like

Code:

LEVEL   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9
        X   X   X   X   X   X   X   X   X   CAN SKI GREEN RUNS
            X   X   X   X   X   X   X   X   CAN SKI BLUE RUNS

and so on.

?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think it's a pretty good attempt at classifying the unclassifiable!

I am somewhere between 7 and 10, depending on how tired I am, visibility and who I am skiing with. Equally, I am never likely to have an interest in race training or in instructing but I do need to ski with better skiers than me in order to take (sensibly judged) risks in terms of more challenging lines, air time, tighter trees ...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A video clip of each of the levels would be useful. Thats what I usually look for on ski school website.

Alternatively some pictures which roughly represent the standard of each level would be nice.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
paulio, fair point on the back and forth nature of the "accordian" format we used. we tried a table but it wasnt too clear and previous lists were just too long and looked lousy on browsers. I might just add a PDF downloadable version so people can compare a bit easier..
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just add an 'expand all' button?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Elston, stay tuned wink We are going to compile some "real world" footage of skiers at each level but the problem is we will need to get permission for this and people tend not to like being labelled as levels X's on line !!

We were going to simulate the various levels ourselves but I dont feel that works well and other schools already do that using instructors demoing.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
paulio, it is a third party piece of code and that (very sensible option) doesnt exist, it is either one open or none open but an expand all is available yet...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skimottaret, Are the changes significant? I think I am still firmly a 6 working towards a 7 and the description for a 6 seems similar to what was there before. If you're looking for a comment there seems quite a leap from 5-6 given some of the more subtle changes, particularly, in the earlier levels.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Actually you need a Bruce Lee style, which is my style because to quote a line from Enter the Dragon spoof Kentucky fried movie

"What is your style"

I ski with the style of no style"
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
paulio wrote:
Just add an 'expand all' button?

+1. Very irritating otherwise. Particularly if somebody who has done one week's skiing has had to click his way through five sections before he realises he counts as a 6.

I reckon 6, 7 and 8 cover most British skiers [waits to be flamed] doing a week or two a year. (Yers, some people will never get past a '3'.) It always amuses me to see how close together most people are in terms of ability - it must make separating your groups for ski school quite difficult. Indeed, I'm not very convinced by group lessons, personally, for exactly that reason. Past complete beginner stage people want completely different outcomes. But I'm digressing.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 22-12-11 14:25; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I ski "tiger style".

i.e. after eating all the cakes and drinking all the beer.
latest report
Megamum, mainly the changes are to do with off piste skiing, we are finding on our alpine coaching trips people are doing more side of the piste/ deep snow on piste type of skiing earlier in their progression than we had previously had listed.

there is a big jump from 5 to 6 , and we tend to find a jump from 6 to 7 as well....
snow conditions
I'm a happy 7. But I don't have any off-piste ambitions and I quite like bumps. Very Happy

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 22-12-11 14:31; edited 1 time in total
snow report
skimottaret, why is it, that after going to the site to have look, I am now debating whether or not it is possible to get on your trip to Italy in March ? Laughing Laughing
snow report
I am a 6 who is happy to stay a 6 as long as their is plenty of snow, mountain restaurants and sunshine.......
snow report
You should add a note to it that says "once you have determined your skiing level using this page, please subtract 1 from it if you are female and subtract 3 if you are male'
ski holidays
I think that's a great classification, really easy to place myself in it. Expand all would be helpful, as mentioned above.

As you said, there's a fair jump from 6 to 7 but also a fair jump from 7 to 8 I think.

One typo I noticed on Level 11, pretty sure "dynamicsm" isn't a word... Dynamism?
latest report
queen bodecia, always good to be a happy skier ! would you say "I am beginning to get to grips with skiing fresh snow on the side of the pistes". would be fair for you given you like bumps?

Timberwolf, dont delay i think we only have 2 spots left on that trip snowHead a couple guys at your level are coming along Razz
snow report
paulio, I just love that observation!!
ski holidays
paulio wrote:
You should add a note to it that says "once you have determined your skiing level using this page, please subtract 1 from it if you are female and subtract 3 if you are male'

Perfect ! Laughing
ski holidays
skimottaret, no I don't ski off-piste at all. By bumps I mean the moguls that form on piste. The harder and icier the better! I'm not a fan of soft and/or slushy stuff. I realise this is potentially a skill that someone like you could help me with! But at present I am just a happy holiday skier.
latest report
skimottaret, Did you know that as you click through the calendar it does not show which month you are on, therefore requiring the viewer to keep count?
latest report
I showed the previous version of that page to a mate of mine, who did his first week with my usual group of ruffians last Jan. I say 'week', he never did what I would call a full day, had a couple of days off... I would say he did 3 days spread over the week.

He reckoned his level was 'nearly 5'.

I laughed at him.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
paulio, usually when going on holidays is add +1 for female, males alone about right, males coming on a trip with mates -3 wink
latest report
Megamum wrote:
skimottaret, Did you know that as you click through the calendar it does not show which month you are on, therefore requiring the viewer to keep count?

not sure i follow you... are you referring to the "whats on" calendar on the home page? if so that should show the dates as Tuesday, 27 December etc...

bobmcstuff, have dynamically fixed that... tah
snow report
skimottaret, Ahh..........there is a subtle difference - if you actually click on the picture you get a pop up window showing the dates as you describe - however, if you click on the highlighted words 'what's on' you get a different view where it doesn't show the dates in that way - I'd clicked on the words!
latest report
Megamum, thanks, that is a bug and i will look into fixing it. snowHead
ski holidays
paulio wrote:
I showed the previous version of that page to a mate of mine, who did his first week with my usual group of ruffians last Jan. I say 'week', he never did what I would call a full day, had a couple of days off... I would say he did 3 days spread over the week.

He reckoned his level was 'nearly 5'.

I laughed at him.

Why? His choices are 'i can snowplough on the nursery slopes' => 4 or 'i have been on some blues and tried to parallel' =>5. I'd expect most learners to be off the nursery slopes in 3 days skiing and I'd be suprised if any male friend of mine came back from a week without being fairly happy on blues and trying to parallel, not competent you understand, but happy enough on them....Most of the beginners I go out with (and there are at least 1 or 2 every year due to the size of the group) are usually 'often parallel' and 'been on a red or two' by the end of the first week if the snow is good.

I think you've got a gap between 4 and 5 skimottaret? Somewhere you need 'I'm venturing onto blues' - it's one of the first major milestones? Maybe change 4 to be 'on greens and venturing onto blues'? 'Confident on blues' as you have for lvl5 usually takes a second trip ime, more for some people.

aj xx
ski holidays
a.j. wrote:
Why?

Because it was funny. You had to be there.
latest report
I think by classifying skiers by the difficulty of run they attempt is misleading.....makes me think everytime I read a Snow and Rock guide or ski school bumpf! This is supposed to be a way of determining a skiiers level of ability, not how brave they are.

A much more reliable way of classifying skiing ability has to be something like this....

1 - Never touched a pair of skis.
2 - Can snowplough stop
3 - Can make linked snowplough turns
4 - Can make parallel turns
5 - Can make parallel turns on different terrain/conditions
6 - Can carve turns
7 - Can carve turns on different terrain/conditions
8 - Expert in all techniques
9 - BASI Qualified/Racer/Expert.

Sub catergories can be for off-piste.

Your thoughts.....??
snow report
paulio wrote:
a.j. wrote:
Why?

Because it was funny. You had to be there.

NehNeh Fair enough.
snow conditions
a.j., One of the problems is in Switzerland they don't have greens - only blue, red and black over there.
snow report
a.j. wrote:

I think you've got a gap between 4 and 5 skimottaret? Somewhere you need 'I'm venturing onto blues' - it's one of the first major milestones? Maybe change 4 to be 'on greens and venturing onto blues'? 'Confident on blues' as you have for lvl5 usually takes a second trip ime, more for some people.

aj xx

good point , have tried to improve the Level 4 , any better?
snow conditions
speedy, agreed and we have tried to address that by what you can do and what we see , it is more about skill level for us not "what can you get down" , on alpine trips we also aska series of ?'s on what you most enjoy and the type of skier you are to further break the levels down... an experienced but nervous cautious level 5 is a much different to a gung ho level 5 wanna blast around the mountain teenager...
latest report
Levels 1-3 could be collapsed both because you don't cater to those people and also because I would think most people would progress through them much too quickly for them to really be 'different levels'.

In general though my feeling is you have a scale that is increasing in width with every successive level (e.g. the gap one level and the next gets bigger) and also more vague. I dunno if that is really a criticism or just an observation.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy