Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whats in your Jacktet

Poster: A snowHead
I was just wondering what everyone keeps in their ski jacket, paticularly when they are not carrying a backpack. Ie; a knife, couple of boiled sweets, hat, glove liners etc.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Edmundh009, what do you use your knife for?? Shocked

I carry tissues, holiday purse with cash, 1 credit card & insurance card, sun protection cream & lippy, walkie-talkie, mobile phone, lock for skis, piste map, some sweeties, sunglasses if I'm wearing goggles & vice versa.....I think that's all - yes, I do have lots of pockets! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Edmundh009, piste map, lift pass, travel insurance policy details, credit & debit card (variety of master, visa, Amex), some cash, sun/cold stick, spare glove liners, slab (or two Madeye-Smiley ) of ritter sport chocolate, mobile phone, leatherman, photo-copies of passport(s).

If it is a fine day, but this is not expected to last, then generally a backpack gets taken to hold goggles, another light layer and a scarf etc. Don't want to risk carrying goggles on person unless wearing them.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
phone/camera, wallet (which has insurance card, etc in it), vitamin I, diamond file, sunglasses - if it looks like it's going to be sunny at lunch, piste map, suncream/lip stuff too, lift pass, and when in Europe, a ski lock.
When taking lessons, I'd also sometimes carry a small notebook and pen, if I hear anything I want to write down.

Cause I wear a helmet, the goggles stay on it, so no need to carry them anywhere else.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 1-09-05 11:13; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Piste Map, Mobile, Money, Suncream, Sunglasses/Goggles, Keys, Insurance, Hat

Think that's all, seems rather a lot though
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sometimes I carry a small lock knife.. No I'm not a psycho but just incase I need to cut myslef from a tree Laughing or do a Ray Mears. I was just wondering what everyone kept paticularly in case of severe climate change. Granted things get alot more extreme when off piste. Thats when the real gear junkies show off with their fancy shovels and graphite probes, transceivers, instant heating food, flares etc.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Don't like things in my pockets so just piste map, lift pass, ID/insurance card & lip salve. Transceiver under jacket. All other stuff in backpack.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Edmundh009, I have a balaclava-type thingy zipped into my jacket which I drag out if the weather really deteriorates - and very handy it has become as well! That's about as extreme as it gets for me Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A couple of snowheads carry ski locks, is this something you would advise purchasing? If so how much should I expect to pay?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Pretty much standard gear from what I see above.....

Mobile phone, piste map, sun cream, lip balm, choccy, cash, lift pass, tissues, chalet keys, Apple or 2.

Thats all crammed into a pull over jacket not a zip down jacket. It all looks very combersome when taking jacket off at mountain side restaurant. Often resulting in half of named above flying across floor of restaurant Embarassed
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
SammyQ, yes I would advise it - they probably cost about £25 if memory serves me right from S&R or Ellis B. If someone really wants to pinch your skis they can get through them I'm sure no problem, but like most locks I think it is the deterrent factor - make it seem easier for them to pinch someone elses.

As has been said before, just splitting up your skis is not a particularly effective method as you can bet your boots that any determined thief will be sat waiting outside the restaurant etc, waiting for a nice set of skis to turn up and watch where the pairs get split up to.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Forgot to say, the locks with a nice long retractable steel cord are good for wrapping in & out of your bindings, skis and ski stand.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cathy Coins, What do you think to this one?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7178734265&rd=1&rd=1
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm no expert on them by any means - and I think anything is better than nothing. As I said, its the deterrent that is probably important. My lock, and others that friends have, is a combination lock - I guess that is probably easier to operate in the cold than getting a little key out. I don't know if they are easier to break in to. You might want to check the length is OK - measure out a piece of string the same length and make sure you can loop it through everything. I'd probably wait until they are in the shops when they get their new stock in (if they don't stock them all year round?), go and check out the different types & prices and then see what was available on ebay.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
My OH carries most of my bigger items in his back pack, I carry much the same as everyone else but I now have hand warmers too which go into my gloves when I'm on the chair lifts. Having been stuck on a chair lift for 40mins when it broke down, I definately wouldn't be without my sweets and hand warmers.
snow report
Most of my stuff I carry in a small pack, Swiss army knife, wipe on wax, ski lock, goggles and hat plus if it's a hot day a small bottle of something refreshing like fizzy apple juice, in my jacket I usually have a small tube of suncream, wallet, sunglasses, lipsalve and liftpass possibly a few sweets and usually in an inside pocket my digital camera.

Because I ski in Switzerland I don't tend to lock my skis unless I'm at a busy location.
snow report
I think that ski locks also stop someone from accidentally picking up the wrong skis after lunch.
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat, whats a diamond file? Is it for your nails? Little Angel
latest report
Yeah I might have to invest in a ski lock. I hate having to leave my skis anywhere where someone might pinch them. Hmm I wonder if you can get a nice lightweight one.
snow report
http://www.snowandrock.com/shop/products/ETIAV.htm on SALE
snow conditions
Edmundh009, the small retractable coil locks with combination lock are very light, I've seen them in quite a few ski shops and I think Snow and Rock do them as well

In fact they do, see here they've even got them on sale at the moment
ski holidays
Edmundh009, looks like we had the same idea Laughing
ski holidays
Kramer wrote:
I think that ski locks also stop someone from accidentally picking up the wrong skis after lunch.

I agree, but locks are pretty ineffective to a determined thief. In 1850 last year a number of people had their locks 'snipped'.

Of greater importance to me is that if I leave my skis unlocked & unattended my insurance is void if they're nicked. Being able to get the police to verify that the lock was busted when I get a crime number is needed for a claim. I think that's a good enough reason to use one.
latest report
ah. A great meeting of the minds. A diamond file is used for deburring the edges of your skis if im not mistaken.
latest report
Edmundh009, that's funny I thought it was a nice pair of goggles Laughing
ski holidays
Edmundh009 wrote:
http://www.snowandrock.com/shop/products/ETIAV.htm on SALE

Have you read the write up?

I've got a Rottweiler & I'll assure you that the lock won't Smile

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 1-09-05 15:06; edited 1 time in total
snow report
spyderjon wrote:
Kramer wrote:

I agree, but locks are pretty ineffective to a determined thief. In 1850 last year a number of people had their locks 'snipped'.

Of greater importance to me is that if I leave my skis unlocked & unattended my insurance is void if they're nicked. Being able to get the police to verify that the lock was busted when I get a crime number is needed for a claim. I think that's a good enough reason to use one.

I think it was 2 years ago that someone stole a pair of skis in Snowbird.
The police immediately closed the canyon, and searched every car going out. The skis were found and returned.
latest report
Lock, tissues, swiss army knife, sun cream, digital camera, walkie talkie, maybe some sweets. The rest goes in the backpack, depending on the day/ski station can be, hiking boots, lunch, drinks, phone, muesli bars, hat, goggles, spare specs. Seems a lot Shocked
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wear The Fox Hat, vitamin I?
snow report
RachelQ, Ibuprofen, the skier's vitamin.
snow conditions
Lol rolling eyes snowHead . Is it Ibuprofen that thins blood or is it aspirin.
latest report
Edmundh009, neither according to Kramer our resident GP. But I believe Brufen based products assist with the reduction of swelling, helps with sprains and that type of thing.
snow conditions
Isn't it alcohol that thins the blood?
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat, Nah, thats living in the South. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
marc gledhill, I've only been to Halifax once, were bl**dy windy and a bit parky out like.

My checklist (typically in ruck rather than jacket): vid cam, glove liners, goggles, spade, probe (in spade), hat, water, spare fleece, mobile, ventolin, ibuprofen, wallet, lenses for specs (interchangeable), liftpass (don't want to forget that), snacks, high factor screen, lip stuff, and always not something I forget.
ski holidays
David Murdoch, Smile I haven't been to London many times, but the last two were for Challenge Cup Finals before you moved the stadium to Wales. Nobody on the tube would take a free can of beer and sandwich from me (we'd packed too much) which I thought was odd.

Nothing at all in jacket pockets - all in back pack. Hat, goggles/sunglasses, water, spare base layer, survival bag, whistle, compass, phone, leatherman, wallet, lip salve, chuddey, hip flask, buff and tons of the wife's/childrens gear.
snow conditions
Quote:

chuddey

Puzzled

unknown to me, my son had his swiss army knife in his pocket - I was completely unaware either that he had it on him or that he was fiddling with it until he managed to slice the end off his thumb in the telecabine - unbelievable quantities of blood spurting all over the place and I only had a rather grubby tissue with whcih to staunch the flow! got some very funny looks from the liftie at the top whose first aid kit we had to raid ...
latest report
chuddey is chewing gum. Your tale has perhaps made me think about carying some gauze and plasters.
ski holidays
Edmundh009, Mr C carries one of those little first aid kits in his rucksack. Just hope I don't get too separated from him Very Happy
ski holidays
found this backcountry seller on ebay. may have to invest in this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DAKINE-Mia-Backcountry-Kit_W0QQitemZ5234773368QQcategoryZ90876QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy