Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Smelly Gloves!!

Poster: A snowHead
I have a pair of leather Scott racing gloves that have done 2 full seasons. They are still in really good nick - or at least the leather is.

The problem is that they have a rather strong smell to them and I was wondering if anyone has any cunning solutions to this (apart from forking out for a new pair!!) I have heard various traditional housewife style remedies including soaking them in alchohol etc. Before i waste a perfectly good bottle of vodka Laughing can anyone offer any advice or tell me about things that have worked for them in the past? Cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've seen people say that deep freezing kills all the nasty bacteria that give off the smell. I have washed niffy bootliners in Dettol in the past. Result - smelly feet smell replaced by Dettol smell. Probably a marginal improvement.

I gave up on leather gloves a while ago because mine would invariable stink long before they were anywhere near wearing out. I now use a pair of dense wool mountaineering gloves. They wear out on the edges quite quickly but they're quite cheap and don't get anything like as sweaty as leather gloves.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would like to stick with leather if I can - I have had so many pairs of gloves that have perished long before the end of a season - some only after a few weeks. These are great apart from the smell!

Quite like the idea of dettol though - reminds me of my childhood!! TCP could do the same actually - might be bit strong on bubble lifts though!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
How about soaking them in that sterilising stuff - Miltons I think it is - then freezing them. Should kill off the bugs and not leave a smell.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Buy a pair of gloves made of a waterproof, breatheable material (e.g. Goretex), with leather only across the palms and inner fingers/thumb. I have a pair of Ami Chaud gloves that have lasted for years, and they don't smell at all. Do Ami Chaud still exist does anyone know? Once your gloves start to stink v badly it is probably too late for them. Burn them smelly hands!! Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I will certainly burn them- the minute the cheque arrives in the post from you for the replacements -much appreciated!!! Little Angel

Perhaps I should try some kind of cunning hand deoderant
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
marc gledhill, I've used Milton in the past, it works reasonably well. Does tend to screw up the colours!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
waitingforwinter, Pee into a bucket, soak the gloves in the pee for 24 hours, remove, rinse, machine wash in 'woolite' and dry in air with a bent coat hanger to keep the fingers open, then treat the leather with a good leather food.

Alternatively buy gloves with washable liners.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I got some dakine goretex golves with removeable liners for a little over £45. You could try snow and rock or wait for the ellis-brigham sale. Hestra gloves are supposed to be the dogs balls but I couldn't find any on the internet which were not for importing.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Edmundh009, S&R normally sell a limited range of Hestras. And I don't think waitingforwinter wants to buy a new pair of gloves - he wants to keep the pair he's got but smell-less!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I had a pair of North Face gloves that were awful after only a few weeks use. I'd tried deodorant, after shave and air frshener without success. In the end, I bought a new pair, but decided to try and salvage the old ones as well, knowing that if it didn't work, I still had my new gloves to use. I put them in the washing machine at 40 degrees with normal biological washing powder. It worked superbly. You will probably need to treat the leather afterwards though.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Pee into a bucket, soak the gloves in the pee for 24 hours, remove,

Three thoughts here -

1 You are an undiscovered genius
2 You just want me to ski around smelling of wee
3 You have some serious issues that ought to be addressed at the soonest possible time.

I am very glad that your instructions include the command to remove the gloves from the bucket of pee though. Confused
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
waitingforwinter, this is Masque's universal remedy for any sort of fungal type infection / pong. And he swears by it. No-one on snowHeads has ever said it didn't work........ but maybe nobody ever tried it. rolling eyes
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
waitingforwinter, Urine has and is a useful part of many industrial and cleaning processes and is used along with copious amounts of dung in the curing and preparation of the huge amounts of leather sourced from the far east. That leather you're wearing was probably prepared in a large vat of fermenting dog s***!

Get real, uric acid is an ancient remedy and will kill the stink and as long as you wash them carefully and well afterward there will be no stink.

It has to be said that removable liners are the better option.

edit! I do NOT advocate drinking it . . . NehNeh
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
waitingforwinter,

Masque is right. For example, the process of "retting" flax fibres for the production of linen involved steeping the stems of the plant in urine (usually collected from the entire community). Peeing in your boots is also a tried and trusted military remedy for rendering new boots supple and comfortable.

Personally, I have removable liners that I can wash as necessary. Mine are Kombi, have a "Gore-Tex type" membrane and cost a lot less than £45.
latest report
Once you get the smell out, using whatever method, simple put some foot talc in them every night. This will absorb the moisture, and keep the smell down. (and leaves you free to use a toilet again!)
latest report
Somebody once suggested microwaving them to kill the bugs Shocked . I still haven't worked out if they were being serious or not...
latest report
Quote:

Do Ami Chaud still exist does anyone know?
snow conditions
PG, not if they have metal studs or buckles . . . I have heard it used for the sterilisation of underpants Shocked I'd think it better to keep scrubbing the offending articles at the source of the problem.

Back to the gloves problem, just been told by a mate that if you spay your hands with an antiperspirant, that will reduce the swear:pong ratio.
latest report
PG, part of the trouble is that as soon as he breathes on them or forgets to wash his hands before wearing them they'll get reinfected. So freezing or radiation are temporary treatments at best: the nutritive value to bacteria of existing deposited sudor must be destroyed. You could follow Masque's advice or use dilute color-safe bleach (my method, works on climbing shoes too).

the ice perv, I saw a brand new pair of them back in March (on a Swiss girl at Ski Roundtop in Pennsylvania of all unlikely things) and I remember asking her about them.
latest report
Smelly gloves...????
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy