Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone used power plates?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've recently joined a new gym which has power plates, I jumped on them last night after someone recommend them for skiing preparation... but what do I do on them!?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lie down and enjoy the vibrating sensation!

The only thing they're (imo) good for is providing entertainment watching the people who believe a whole body workout is possible in 15 minutes and will give the same results as those of us who slog for hours achieve.

I guess they do provide some semblance of massage if you lie down on one, but a very limited one as it's just one technique!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hmmm.. not sure I'd agree with Spannah on that. Used right, they make bits of your body hurt that you didn't know you owned.

Nick-o, Do they not offer training/orientation on them? They ought to. But if you want a simple tip - stand on it, assume the skiing position (or some variations of it) and see how long it takes for your quads to start feeling it. wink

Edit: On second thoughts, don't wait for the burn to start - limit yourself to a minute or so in the position and then stop. Otherwise, the day after you are really going to pay the price. My first power plate effort felt really easy, so I did some more.... and then a bit more for good measure. The following morning I had to roll out of bed onto all fours to get up... rolling eyes
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nick-o, I do squats on them, which are definitely harder work than without the vibrations, and some of my stretching, as I think the massage sort of enhances the stretch. I also, some years ago, picked up a really excellent tip from Kramer, on a thread about people (including me Embarassed) who are too puny to do full press-ups. It's basically holding a plank position on the Power Plate while it vibrates. It helps if you can isolate the muscles you want to work: because I do Pilates, I can, so can manoeuvre myself into the exact position in which the vibration really targets the bingo wings! rolling eyes I think Power Plate is good, but certainly don't think it's a substitute for a full work-out. I generally (well, when I go to the gym at all, that is, have had a rather poor few months on that score) do about 15 minutes on the Power Plate at the end of a work-out - which in my case consists mainly of rower, bike, stair-trainer and free weights.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Pedantica wrote:
Nick-o, I do squats on them, which are definitely harder work than without the vibrations, and some of my stretching, as I think the massage sort of enhances the stretch. I also, some years ago, picked up a really excellent tip from Kramer, on a thread about people (including me Embarassed) who are too puny to do full press-ups. It's basically holding a plank position on the Power Plate while it vibrates. It helps if you can isolate the muscles you want to work: because I do Pilates, I can, so can manoeuvre myself into the exact position in which the vibration really targets the bingo wings! rolling eyes I think Power Plate is good, but certainly don't think it's a substitute for a full work-out. I generally (well, when I go to the gym at all, that is, have had a rather poor few months on that score) do about 15 minutes on the Power Plate at the end of a work-out - which in my case consists mainly of rower, bike, stair-trainer and free weights.

Fantastic. I think I might give it ago, I read a lot on workouts whilst slight "off balance" recently. Thanks.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Nick-o, I use them a bit. The best excercises I've found are pressups, planks, tricep dips and stomach (hold a light weight behind your head with your legs up and straight).

Stick it on for a minute: 10 seconds press ups, ten seconds plank and repaet. Same with dips holding at the top and bottom.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Step ups are good on them to, I used to do a class which had you knackered in half hour Very Happy and a friends mum's just joined a class using power plates and apparently you can see the difference in bodyshape already - think she's been going for 2 or 3 weeks.

We did a combination of squats, press ups, balancing on one leg, side step off and back up and over the other side and then massage at the end. On the plates in my gym there's a book that goes through some of the exercises or just ask the gym staff to design you a program, one reason they're meant to be good is because not only does the plate vibrate but it wobbles which will also help with balance and core muscles.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Interesting in that this past week I've been using the Power Plate as part of my ACL rehab.

I've stopped using a physio as I was not to pleased with what she was doing for me, preferring an Osteo instead, my consultant agreed with me as he thinks I'm progressing well and am now nigh on 4 months post OP.

Then yesterday did a wee bit of Goggling putting Powerplate ACL in - and came across a quite staggering study on ACL & Power Plates - makes for some very interesting reading
http://powerplatespain.es/estudioscientificos/7.pdf
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have also used powerplate as part of my ACL rehab, and I do think it helped. I mainly did balance work on it, single-leg squats etc.

Take the study linked by Weathercam with a pinch of salt - the study is clearly funded and carried out by powerplate themselves - this pretty much rules out any genuine evidence-based conclusions. That's not to say there is no benefit from using a powerplate, but that study will almost certainly be flawed, biased and heavily emphasising benefits which may or may not be there.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have started using them this year and think they are helping my fitness.

You need to be stressing a muscle for the vibration to have any effect. The vibration is stretching and compressing the muscle in it's powered up state and it is this which is beyond what you can normally achieve by safe exercise. If I stand on a powerplate, with upper legs at 90degrees, after a spinning class, it is absolute agony and almost unbearable.

I am working on the basis that this is working my muscles to limits that I would struggle to safely achieve through other movement.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Few days ago was on the tread mill pushing it, and felt calf muscle twinging so came off immediately and went on to the plates, and as it happened was wearing my HRM and was surprised to see what my HR was at the end of 60secs interval on them doing one leg squats, knew it was tough as I could so feel the burn (as above post)............

And think this post (below) warrants a repeat here in this thread - originally was posted in the ACL Rehab thread.

I tore my ACL last year along with a lot of other stuff, after two other surgery’s I eventually got my ACL reconstructed 5 and a half months after the initial crash.

I did my re hab at the Olympic medical institute in Bisham a great facility for athletes where we can get a weeks intensive rehab at a time. I did a total of 3 weeks over 5 months and was back skiing happily and training skicross and giant slalom by 6 months.

I found the power plate gave me massive gains. We used it a lot as part of my warm up routine before doing bounding sessions and the difference in the bounding session was dramatic depending on if i used the powerplate to warm up or not. My contact time with the floor and rebound height both improved. Also after using the powerplate my results in the power tests where again massively improved. I would recommend it as part of anyone’s re hab for ACL if they have the chance.

And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quick comment for anyone thinking of using a vibrating plate without instruction - if due to a previous injury you have any metal in you that is holding your limbs together (for example, a plated leg), do not use a vibrating plate - it hurts.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy