Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best area of Val Gardena for Beginners

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

First holiday being planned in the Dolomites and looking at Val Gardena a

Can people tell me what they think will be the best village in VG for beginners/intermediates - we are a mixed Family group ranging from a nervous skier to some of the group being OK on easier reds

Going over Christmas so also want a nice Christmas and village feel

Look forward to you help

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ortisei is a very attractive village/small town and conveniently placed for Alpe di suisi which is pretty much an area of exclusively gentle skiing. Tough it's less well situated fo rthe main Sella if people want to do it. It's still possible. Can't say I've visited at Christmas but I'd imagine it would work well.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you for the reply

Do people have thoughts on Selva for a beginner that's quite nervous

Thanks
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Sn42or, I've taken beginners to Selva, but I don't think it is the best ; Have you had a look at Colfosco?

If you are set on the Gardena valley - Ortisei as @T Bar suggests
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I took my girlfriend who is early intermediate to Val Gardena, it destroyed her confidence completely. But beginners can navigate to Calfosco and Alta Badia with plenty of gentle runs.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks guys

Are there nursery slopes in Selva
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
From memory there is a beginner's area on the Dantercepies side of the road (still the centre of Selva), and the blues above Plan de Gralba were pretty gentle. The most direct lift-accessed route to the Plan de Gralba blues from the town includes a short but somewhat more tricky red mountain road so beginners could take the bus to Plan de Gralba I guess. As others have said all of Alpe di Siusi was gentle and confidence-building - and it's easy to get to by bus even if you actually stay in the main Selva town.

I guess conditions are a big factor - the snow was very forgiving when we were there - but our overwhelming feeling was that we found the Dolomites significantly easier than, say, the Three Valleys (comparing colour-with-colour).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Alpe Di Siusi is appropriate but there is a red to navigate if you take the cable car from Ortisei. Plan Gralba is best for beginners but you have to get there first.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Given all that's available I wouldn't be bothered about taking a family of this kind round the Sella Ronda which is likely to be busier than the alternatives, especially at Christmas. People who are more confident on easier runs often prefer quieter ones, too.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Went to Selva in Jan. The main ski area is great but not suitable for first week beginners imo. While there is a very mellow, proper beginner area right next to the town, to get to any kind of progression area could be tricky. Alpe di Siusi is defo the way to go.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Sn42or, My beginners started on the Larciunei area - very good for them ; and advanced to the Risaccia area, that bit steeper (both near the village)
The more advanced ones were taken to the Plan de Gralba area, which involved a bus journey or ski the tricky RED mentioned above..
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Many thanks for you input on this guys
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
From S. Cristina the Mone Pana area would be good for first timers and has has access to Alpe Di Siusi and the main Selva area for those with more experience.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Missed the bit about a nice Christmas feeling - Ortisei would hit the spot but might not be so good for beginners, there are some nursery slopes in the town but no idea what they are like! Val Gardina, S. Cristina and Ortisei are all close together with a free bus linking or easy to drive if you have a car.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
How easy is it to travel between Selva, S. Cristina and Ortisea. I assumed there was a Chair lift that went between all three. Also is Alta Badia an option.
latest report
You can travel between all three using lifts, but it would be rather convoluted ! :: there is a 'Valley Bus' service.
Alta Badia is a 'Blue' heaven !! - so definitely an option
snow conditions
Sn42or wrote:
How easy is it to travel between Selva, S. Cristina and Ortisea. I assumed there was a Chair lift that went between all three. Also is Alta Badia an option.

There are buses between them free to visitors staying locally and you can get between them by lift but the lift connections are not straightforward for a beginner and depending on which bits you want to go between can be time consuming.

The Alta Badia resorts certainly offer some very pleasant beginner and early intermediate skiing.

Edit
Beaten to it. basically I agree with above post.
latest report
I would say Corvara, good mix of skiing so beginners won't be intimidated. Much as i like Selva, the run down the back of Ciampinoi can test even a decent intermediate depending on conditions. Conditions regularly include a mix of moguls and mounds of beginners lying on the slope Smile Add in a blizzard and it really isn't much fun, and it's a choke point.
snow report
My advice would be to ditch VG and go to the Alta Badia. You have a choice of Corvara/Colfosco/La Villa/San Cassiano who would suit your beginner/early skiers far more
snow report
strmin wrote:
. But beginners can navigate (from Selva) to Colfosco and Alta Badia with plenty of gentle runs.

Assuming you mean via Dantercepies, I wouldn’t recommend it.
snow conditions
SnowMonkey69 wrote:
My advice would be to ditch VG and go to the Alta Badia. You have a choice of Corvara/Colfosco/La Villa/San Cassiano who would suit your beginner/early skiers far more

Agree 100%. Colfosco for absolute beginners would be perfect. I always tell people that their first experience on skis should be as pleasant as possible.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy