Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region pt. 2

Poster: A snowHead
Snow and poor viz today. Temperatures much milder than of late, it got up to +4C this afternoon in the village.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mild day with some mist/fog. It started snowing just after coffee time and we've had a good few cms.

Leaving the station restaurant at Grund this lunchtime.

It’s the last day of high season; mass exodus tomorrow.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well contrary to t- mikes comments on Fri it looked as if high season began this morning.
Lauterbrunnen was heaving, train full, heating on full blast........the snow up at Kleine Scheidegg was fabulous.
Did not expect to ski 3 or 4 really good powder pitches. Finished skiing down to Schwendi still making fresh tracks below 950m elevation, great day!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Rogerdodger, it was crazy today! We went to Mürren to escape the crowds. Much quieter over there and a great lunch at the Bellevue.

snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I trust you drank a large draft Rugenbrau Dunkel! One of the few places that have it on tap!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Rogerdodger, I'm a weissbier man, but I'll give it a go next time!

Good day out over at First today. The cliff walk looks terrifying.

The skiing was great though, pistes softening in the sun. Glorious run down the classic Stepfi piste for a late lunch at the Hotel Wetterhorn.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The joy of skiing the "unknown" Jungfrau region is that it doesn't get tracked out. Absolutely fantastic fresh tracks up at Grindelwald First today. Glorious snow, great sunshine pretty good friends to ski with wow!!!!!!!!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wonderful today. Enjoyed the powder on Männlichen this morning, lovely lunch at Aspen then an afternoon at First.

ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@telford_mike, that's a great pic Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
After a few gloomy days we finally got some sun today. It snowed overnight too, so conditions were pretty epic. Very few people about - no queue at all for the Männlichen cable car at 9am.

Warm this afternoon - about +9C in the village.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Great pic t-mike, we went around to Meiringen today, absolutely fantastic conditions this morning!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Powder Sunday, introduced a friend to some of our favourite pitches. For someone who regularly skis Tignes the practice of stepping across the railway lines was a whole new ball game!
Loads of snow due and very few people around to ski it........fresh tracks!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Good day, viz a bit patchy but fun anyway,

Snow is still epic, much fun to be had.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Some fantastic powder and fresh tracks between the foggy cloudy stuff. We weren't expecting so much snow.
IF the weather clearers its a skin on to Grosse Scheidegg tomorrow, the steep pitch should be fantastic!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
.........Grosse Scheidegg was a nightmare, the dreaded "breakable crust" and Stepfi piste closed for the season, sadly!
snow conditions
@Rogerdodger, shame, Stepfi is great.

Epic morning, clouded over after coffee. Snow really good all the way back to Wengen.

ski holidays
Very busy in Wengen today so we went over to Mürren. FIS World Cup telemark races were on which means lots of athletes, coaches and officials around, but hardly any of them skiing. Super day. View to the Jungfrau from Sonnenberg.

latest report
It’s been a bit gloomy the last couple of days, I have been doing jobs around the house while Val has been teaching now that the school holidays are here again.

Anyhow good news for next season, the CHF666 ski passes will be on sale again from September until the middle of December. https://top4.ski

Summer passes will go on sale shortly - CHF380 if you have a 2017/18 top4 pass or a half fare card, CHF560 if you don't. https://www.jungfrau.ch/shop/en/abonnemente

For anyone in the area, Uptown Lights will be playing at Rocks bar in Wengen on Thursday evening - highly recommended.
latest report
Great news about the top4 for next season......who says Switzerland is expensive!
snow conditions
Really good snowfall last night. Digging out the village this morning.

Snowing hard again now.
latest report
Happy Easter everbody, it was a fantastic powder morning over at Muerren! Extremely quiet for the first hour so it didn't get tracked out! The long slopes off Schiltgrat were magnificent and spells of visibility to ski safely.
Schilthorn didn't open, we were treated to an aerial bombardment by the Swiss lufte waffe ( bombing from air glaciers heli ) Quite a morning all in all.
snow conditions
Rogerdodger wrote:
we were treated to an aerial bombardment by the Swiss lufte waffe ( bombing from air glaciers heli )

Heard all those bangs earlier - noisy lot over in Mürren!

Not too busy at Scheidegg, all the piste machines were hard at work though.

ski holidays
Have to say this is the heaviest snowfall I can remember for this time of year, normally by the start of April we expect it to be only skiable as far as Allmend then train down, all of Grindelwald side is I believe scheduled to shut from Tuesday ,the DHO shuts up shop for the Season at the end of this week, the Kleine Scheidegg area will continue to operate until Sunday the 15th and Murren will run till the 22nd both with limited operation of lifts, annoyingly Mannlichen lifts are run by Grindelwald and so despite great conditions will be shut from Tuesday
ski holidays
Expected crowds on bank holiday Monday. Didn’t happen - nice skiing on quiet pistes. It’s quite warm so the snow is soft and a bit heavy down towards the village, but there’s so much of it it’s not an issue.

I had Fallboden to myself this morning.

Some hotels are closing. The Sunstar was the first, their last guests left this morning.
ski holidays
Last day for Männlichen yesterday. They wasted no time in dismantling the old cable car.

It will be replaced by this.

Very warm today and abundant, if sticky, snow.
snow conditions
A glorious morning with typical spring skiing. Bone hard early on, perfect from about 10am, skied back to Wengen at around 1.30 when things got too slushy. Coverage is still fine down to Wengen & Brandegg.

Temperature in the village this afternoon.... +19C !! Cool

ski holidays
Wengen is pretty quiet now - this was about 10 this morning.

Skiing is still good though, particularly the couple of hours before lunch. Brandegg run is still fine all the way, and the main drag back to Wengen is still open, if a little discoloured in places.

Last day of the season will be Sunday, which seems a shame. There's still 150cm of snow at Scheidegg.

snow report
nice video from Snow Happening

http://youtube.com/v/HRnWRuv5Kns
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Jill t, what a lovely bit of history Very Happy
snow conditions
@Jill t, Very nice video! Very Happy
snow report
Old cable cars were removed by a huge helicopter this morning, and the new ones were delivered.

snow report
Nice to see money being spent but I guess this is not Jungfraubahnen. They will need every rappen for V-bahn!
ski holidays
The Wengen Mannlichen and Grindelwald Grund Mannlichen operate jointly (which is why the Mannlichen lifts shut on the same day) the V Bahn is being developed along with WAB, JB and BOB in an effort to maximise the number of visits to Jungfraujoch and at the same time replace the GGM which is actually past its use by date

One bit of good news is that the Holenstein Middle Station on the GGM will remain enabling longer runs at the start or end of the season when snow to Grund may not be sufficient

The cabins of the WM are being replaced and updated basically as part of routine maintenance I think these will be the 5th set of cabins since the 1950's when the first cablecar was installed, it should only be the 4th set but one car was destroyed by the avalanche that caused the bottom station to be moved from near the Park Hotel to its current location, the new ones will have an exterior balcony on the roof with a spiral staircase access from inside, I understand this will be summer use only and that the interior staircase will be removed in winter to ensure normal sardine like packing of skiers
latest report
@D G Orf, One of the earlier WM cabins now resides in front of the Edelweiss Hotel (they use it as an equipment store). Not sure quite what generation it is.

snow report
I think I drove past another one up in Habkern last weekend, must check exactly which one it is.
ski holidays
@Alastair Pink, It's either first or second, they were identical near as makes no difference as were third and fourth, I'm pretty sure there was another one somewhere that I've walked past maybe towards Innerwengen the earlier ones were quite a bit smaller than the latter, the srange thing is that the early cable cars had a lot more cables which I assume is down to more modern technology

P.S The cablecars were originally a fire engine red colour so I assume this garden one has been repainted

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 19-04-18 14:02; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@Rogerdodger, lots of old cablecars around, they have to be replaced when they wear out and from what I've seen certainly in the past it was often easier to sell / give them away to locals for garden structures rather than transport them, the Swiss however are seriously into recycling which might be why the ones from Wengen were airlifted away. I always thought the modern ones would make great little by the piste bars.
latest report
Extremely tenuous for a Jungfrau thread but it is the end of term. Drove around to Adelboden this morning to ski up at Engstligenalp. Conditions quite superb, slick to start then softening nicely from 10:30 ish. The op became very skiable as well. Plenty of ski tourers ascending the north wall to access Wildstrubel, the climb through the corniced ridge looks a little technical!!!
snow report
https://twitter.com/chaletwengen
ski holidays
First ascent of the new cabin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy