Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region pt. 2

Poster: A snowHead
buchanan101 wrote:
At the Ski Miquel chalet Rosa - they have lockers at the station and claim just a 5 minute walk to station/cable car. Good price (stayed with them in Saalbach and they are quite good). Pace possibly similar to Obergurgl then? (Saalbach and Ischgl are all about fast/high capacity lifts/big areas).

We have two walkers (4 skiers) - looks an excellent area for walkers up either side, or in the valley, or down in Interlaaken.

Is it worth going round to Grindlewald/First? Train round the mountain looks the best bet for that rather than up and over...

The other choice Wengen side is whether top stay on the train up from Lauterbrunnen, or get off and walk to the cable car.

Yes it`s worth going around to First. If you`re there for a week you can ski the whole Jungfrau area. Good walking trails at First and you could sledge down the big sled run if you`re not skiing.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@buchanan101, well, depending on the snow you can ski back from Mürren to Lauterbrunnen via Winteregg which is a lovely gentle run.

If you pre book your ski hire in Mürren with Alfred's Sporthaus you get 20% off but I guess you don't want the hassle etc. https://www.alfredssporthaus.ch/index_en.html

Lovely walks from Winteregg to Mürren or Winteregg to Grütschalp or just simply chill on the terrace at Winteregg as the chairlift is right opposite.

TBH...I would stick with Mürren side, less busy, more snow sure and a lot more picturesque with lovely walks (tourism hate on....lol)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
One reason for the long lift times is the length of runs, Scheidegg or Mannlichen to Grund is about 8km same from Top of Lauberhorn to Wengen, Schilthorn to Lauterbrunnen is about 13.5 km if you walk the little uphill bit of the Inferno run, when the Mannlichen Gondola lift was put in it was the longest in Europe things have changed since then with larger gondolas and faster uplift, some of us are old enough to remember the Mannlichen T-bar drag lift or even the Lauberhorn Drag Lift (I can just remember it but never went on it) Lifts are constantly being replaced with better ones (often both faster and with more seats) the replacement of the Mannlichen Gondola with the New lift that will go to both the Mannlichen and Eigergletscher will probably be of great benefit at the weekends, not for the access it will give those based in Wengen but rather because all the locals that pack the trains coming up from Grund (where there are plenty of parking spots) will instead take the new Gondola, thus those wanting to catch the train up after lunch at Brandegg will not have to cram onto a packed train Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@D G Orf, I know I'm poking into this conversation, but regarding the new gondola, when are they planning on opening it? I heard 2019/20 season for the one that goes on the current railway path was mannlichen supposed to open earlier or the same time?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@KeetnaWilson, I think same time and yes its currently 2019/20, I would imagine that they may start construction this summer with at least some structures since they have quite a lot to do, the Mannlichen top station is going to be enlarged and I see no mention of the Holenstein middle station so that might be going but there will be a big multi story carpark at the bottom, with direct access to the train and a bus stop that will take you up to the First lift
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Huge storm today, very high winds and temp in Wengen +10C. No lifts open, no trains to Scheidegg. Furniture on our balcony has been rearranged and I had to retrieve the barbecue cover from the path outside our house.

Need some shopping from Interlaken anyway.

Regarding the conversation above about dates for the v-bahn (new gondola etc), this is speculation. The Jungfraubahn don’t have planning permission for anything yet, and although the funding has been secured, the legal obstacles remain significant. In short, nobody knows.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Looks like even worse weather tomorrow and shed loads of rain from 2000m down Sad
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The cold front that had been forecast has now arrived. Temp now +1C and snowing hard. Still really windy. Mainline trains from Lucerne to Interlaken are suspended. Shopping will have to wait.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bergfex shows 10+C all week at 1000m so hopefully they aren't quite right!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm beginning to worry about the race next week. Let's hope temperatures drop some.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It's a long way out but Bergfex shows temp dropping fairly significantly from Tuesday onwards
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks @buchanan101,
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
hey it's only a forecast... tomorrow looks horrid with a fair bit of rain at 1000m, and a bit more rain at the weekend but a bit better afterwards. The race finishes fairly low doesn't it?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The race finishes at 1285m. Anything could happen - last year the DH was cancelled owing to too much snow. We have a Europa Cup super-g race this weekend which is currently looking a bit iffy, but fingers crossed.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Looks like a brief cold snap this afternoon/evening then warm and wet until Monday/Tuesday next week. Thursday looks like potentially heavy rain from 8am with up to 100mm of rain tomorrow (but more likely to be 40-50mm)
snow conditions
Well that was quite a day of weather, we don’t get a blizzard very often! The advertising banner for race did not survive.

Efforts to keep the Main Street passable.

snow report
how is it going today - I fear that snow they are clearing would have been washed away today anyway?
latest report
Pouring with rain rolling eyes Freezing level above the summits by the look of it. A few lifts open at Scheidegg but Männlichen closed down. Got soaked going to the Co-op for bread and it’s only 50 yards away.
ski holidays
Hopefully water will mostly run off well packed pistes?
snow report
Many seasons spent down in Lauterbrunnen and I can safely say I have never experienced rain of this intensity.
Skied down from Winteregg to rear of Schutzen on Tues. The track was looking good for the Inferno, not so sure now!
snow report
Quick tip for anyone hoping to use the 20% EarlyBird discount for Jungfrau passes. Looks like this year the supply is limited for each start day. Feb half term Sat & Sun are already sold out rolling eyes , as are passes for Saturday 27th Jan (I just tried!). Evil or Very Mad
Swisspasses.com still do their 10% discounted tickets, but I booked an 8 day pass from Friday 26th with the full 20% discount that worked out at about 14% discount off the full 7day price.
So, don't leave it to the last minute - Jungfrau have to make up the money on the discounted CHF666 season passes that all the locals got before Christmas!
ski holidays
Tried this for half term a week or so ago and indeed it didn't work.

I will look at swisspasses.com thanks!
snow report
all done... 5% only on hiking/sledging passes (for my partner). Thanks for that!
ski holidays
Rain has almost stopped. Did it wash all the snow away? View from our window to the village nursery slope.

latest report
Ok, two things.... (a) I assume your question is rhetorical and (b) stop rubbing it in that you live in a ski resort!

Actually don't stop - I like the photos!
snow conditions
@buchanan101, (a)

Just home from the pub. Still raining, will go up tomorrow and check things out if it’s half decent weather.
snow report
It finally stopped raining early this morning. Popped up to Männlichen to have a look-see. The good news is that the pistes are fine - still excellent coverage. Things were a bit sticky below about 1700 metres but a good dose of wax will probably fix that. It was pretty gloomy today, but tomorrow and the coming days should be better.

There's a band called Uptown Lights playing at Rocks bar tonight. They perform at lots of venues in the area during the season and I strongly recommend that you see them if they play during your visit.
snow conditions
A much better day. Pistes are spring-like - pretty firm early on, but softening in the sun. Here's the south side of the Lauberhorn from Scheidegg. It's one of the most popular off-piste areas, but there's barely a track to be seen. Avalanche danger down to 3/5 today. Busy, as local kids ski free on Saturdays.

The Tipi at Scheidegg is under new management. Gone is the chaotic (but effective) friendly melee to get food and drink here. Now it's typical Swiss courtesy and orderly queues. You can even pay by credit card. The star attraction for lunch here used to be the freshly made burgers, but they've gone, alas. It's still a nice stop for a cheap lunch.

latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Where abouts is that. I like to plan out a resort in my head. Down where Wixi chair goes from? Which chair is that?

(“South side” confuses me as I thought most runs on the east side of the ridge above Wengen)
ski holidays
That's the Lauberhorn chair. It goes from Kleine Scheidegg up to almost the summit. The slope back down to Scheidegg faces south-ish - very sunny.

The Wixi chair goes up the other side of the Lauberhorn from a couple of hundred metres below Wengernalp.

snow report
When I looked at the map after my post thought it may have been that one

Is another (quicker) way to the top point in the area to get off train at Wengeralp and take the Fallboden chair. Actually looks like the top point is only reached by the train up the Jungfrau or from the other side of the mountain.

Read somewhere you can ski most of the race course - does that include the narrow bit between the rocks? Doubt It...
ski holidays
Correct - the only way to Eigergletscher is via the Eigernordwand lift or the train, but yes, you can get off the train at Wengernalp and ski down to the bottom of Wixi and Fallboden lifts, however it involves a bit of a climb on foot up to the Jungfrau hotel and across their terrace before you put your skis on. It's probably a few minutes quicker than doing it from Scheidegg, but not much more. Nobody bothers to be honest - it's much easier to ski down to Arven from Scheidegg (5 minutes) and get the fast 6-man chair up to Eigergletscher, or ski down to Wixi from Scheidegg if you fancy the Lauberhorn.

You'll be able to ski the whole race course including the Hundschopf between the rocks, but to spare us the trauma of a 40 metre jump there's a path down the left hand side which you can skid down before you get to the Minschkante. After that you blast round Canadian Corner and ski the rest of the course all the way to Innerwengen. They leave the speed trap at the bottom of the Hannegschuss for the rest of the season - current record 161.9 km/h Very Happy
latest report
It should perhaps be pointed out that the Falboden chair is often not open, save for weekends, this has been the case since a tragic accident in 2008 when one person died and one was seriously injured after very high winds caused one of the cables to come off the rollers, the lift was already in the process of shutting down with no new passengers being allowed on due to earlier gusts of 60kph but still had 75 people om the lift when it was hit by a 90kph gust.

It is generally easier and possibly faster to carry on the train up to Kleine Scheidegg then ski down to the Eigernordwand Chair as the Falboden Lift is also really slow.

As Mike says you can ski the whole racetrack if you want to, last year the local Wengen Tourist Office organised some timed runs for tourists in the weeks (might have been 2 months) after the race itself not sure if they will do that again this year, the advantage of that is that they close off the crossing points so you can go fast without the risk of hitting a skier crossing your path.

If you do decide to do the course take the final schuss at speed, it is far easier to do this and use the big runout at the bottom than do what many people do which is stop at the top and try to either traverse the slope or side slip down, this gives those going up on the innerwengen lift a lot of entertainment
latest report
Thanks for that - noticed that the Falboden is a 2 seater (I'm guessing even without the moving mat feature). Closed today but there again most chairs seem to be - I'm going to have to get used to some slow lifts again (especially in Murren) after being spoilt in places like Ischgl, Obergurgl and Saalbach Smile And T bars! Forgotten how to use them... Investment does seem to be a little behind compared with Austria? I remember the days though when a triple chair was the height of innovation so shouldn't complain!! The old single chair up to the top of the Hohe Salve in Soll, lift passes on bits of elastic...

Going to watch the race this weekend - will look out for the schuss, thanks for the tip! I guess the only way back up is Innerwengen chair and train?
snow report
There is an alternative to the final schuss for the intrepid which is more scenic and takes you straight into Mary's Cafe!
ski holidays
oh - that Salzegg T bar is now the Eigernordwand chair?
latest report
skilegs wrote:
There is an alternative to the final schuss for the intrepid which is more scenic and takes you straight into Mary's Cafe!

got it...red 43...
snow report
We'll be staying in Wengen for a week late Feb. It's a few years since I've visited and this time we'll have our three year old son with us. Just wondering if anyone can advise on ski school/creche options for him? I'd like to get him into ski school for a couple of hours in the mornings and it would be good to know if there are options for childcare for the afternoons although we probably won't use it much. Anyone have any experience/recommendations?

Thanks!
snow report
@jonm, crèche - https://wengen.ch/en/winter/product/page/playhouse-1771/

Ski Schools -

Altitude (lessons will be at Kleine Scheidegg) http://www.altitude-wengen.com

Swiss Ski School http://www.skiwengen.ch

Private Ski School http://snowpro.ch/home/
latest report
@telford_mike, excellent, thank you Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy