Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region pt. 2

Poster: A snowHead
@RichardB, we stayed in the Belvedere a few years back, as did the Swiss ski team. Loved it.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mürren has some skiing this weekend up at Birg. Schilthorn still closed for the time being.

Also Männlichen gondola from Grindelwald and the cable car from Wengen will be running, but the connection round to Scheidegg is still closed.

https://www.jungfrauzeitung.ch/artikel/159862/
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Männlichen and Läger chairs also open this weekend. Can never remember them opening in November before. Valley run to Brandegg also open from Kleine Scheidegg.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Go for Wengen - you can always spend a day in Grindelwald.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
http://www.tatler.com/article/kandahar-ski-club-posh-skiing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Snow in Wengen looks great already ⛷
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Looks like the Jungfrau Region has its best early snow for the last 20 years or thereabouts, cold temperatures and a possible further 30cm (12 inches) of snow at the end of next week looks promising, long range forecasts suggest that the following week will remain cold and may bring a further 20-30 cm (8 to 12 inches) of snow, if this turns out to be the case then the Week before Christmas will be great early skiing, However make sure you have plenty of warm clothing to take advantage of the powder snow.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Looking good in Mürren (thanks to Hotel Eiger for sharing) -

https://www.facebook.com/90905634113/videos/10156033128324114
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
They are opening mostly everything this weekend except the Schiltgrat area but its continuous operation now with the Schiltgrat opening on the 16th !
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Big storm last night. The snow finally stopped late this morning - probably 30cm in the village. There were a surprising amount of people out and about last night - I wonder whether the conditions have tempted people into an early holiday.

We have storm warnings from MeteoSwiss for Sunday morning through to early Tuesday. This will cause problems for lifts etc.

Not much happening on the nursery slope this lunchtime:

latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The first bluebird day since we arrived. Very cold out of the sun, but the snow is great on and off piste. Plenty of terrain to ski despite only a few lifts being open, and valley runs are open back to Wengen and Grindelwald. Village still very quiet with only one hotel open (Bernerhof), but a couple more will open at the weekend.

Männlichen begins full-time operation this weekend too. This is the best start to a season I can remember.

latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
saying I'm jealous is an under statement !!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
More snow last night, and more forecast for the weekend. Today was glorious.

The Indian restaurant opens tonight Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lots more snow over the past 24 hours, and still very cold. Today was cloudy with poor viz at times, but the sun did peek through for 5 minutes while we were at Männlichen this morning.

More snow tomorrow apparently.

ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Amazing depth snow in Mürren for this time of year (80cm + at village level....used to be like this in the early 80's) -

snow report
Completely deserted pistes today, couldn’t be better really.

latest report
telford_mike wrote:
Completely deserted pistes today, couldn’t be better really.

Looks wonderful!
snow conditions
Merry Christmas for tomorrow (#murrenlover)

latest report
New slope stepper than the Schilthorn at 41 degrees (Schilthorn slope 37 degrees)

ski holidays
a lot of rain forecasted tomorrow afternoon... Sad
latest report
Sorry for not updating for a while, Wengen has been super-busy! Everything is great, all lifts open. It's snowing outside at the moment with much more forecast. The village this afternoon:

snow conditions
Heavy rain forecasted yet again for this Thursday Sad
snow conditions
Chris Brookes wrote:
New slope stepper than the Schilthorn at 41 degrees (Schilthorn slope 37 degrees)

Where is that exactly?
snow conditions
No.9 on the piste map at Birg. It was a great off piste area but now this
ski holidays
Absolutely no need to piste this challenging run.
snow conditions
Do you mean 41° or 41%? The Harikari in Mayrhofen (supposedly steepest in Austria if not Europe) is 78% = 38°. 41° is 87% so steeper than the Harikari.

Looking at the pictures of the Schilthorn it may well be 37° not 37%, so maybe Murren now has the steepest slope in Europe?!

I will actually be at both resorts this winter..., first time in Murren so will be interesting.
snow conditions
The Schilthorn piste is 75% gradient (37 degrees). The new piste at Birg is the 88% gradient (41 degrees)
snow report
Thanks for the clarification - so steeper than the Harikari!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
41 degrees is steep. The steepest bit of the Wengen World Cup slalom course is a mere 36 degrees, and that always seems pretty severe to me.

Great view back to the village from the start this afternoon though.

snow report
Apart from jumps - near the start of the Hahnenkamm there's a bit a lot steeper than 36° - but it's not skiable...!

Nice pic - thanks! The calm before the storm isn't it? Loads of snow and rain forecast.

First time to Wengen/Murren this coming half term; staying in Lauterbrunnen which seems good for choices. Hotel good value, but the ski hire price for my partner's children!!! Wow... luckily I have boots and skis.

Looking forward to it - seem quite a lot of slower lifts and T bars compared with Austria? How busy are the slopes there? Stuck with half term but it doesn't seem to be Dutch, German or Swedish half terms...
latest report
I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Slightly different pace of life here than some of the bigger French or Austrian resorts - you'll soon get used to it. The majority of the old lifts have been upgraded recently on the Wengen side, and at Mürren you don’t really need fast quads and sixes because it never really gets crowded. Where will you be based in Lauterbrunnen?
ski holidays
At the Ski Miquel chalet Rosa - they have lockers at the station and claim just a 5 minute walk to station/cable car. Good price (stayed with them in Saalbach and they are quite good). Pace possibly similar to Obergurgl then? (Saalbach and Ischgl are all about fast/high capacity lifts/big areas).

We have two walkers (4 skiers) - looks an excellent area for walkers up either side, or in the valley, or down in Interlaaken.

Is it worth going round to Grindlewald/First? Train round the mountain looks the best bet for that rather than up and over...

The other choice Wengen side is whether top stay on the train up from Lauterbrunnen, or get off and walk to the cable car.
snow report
Chalet Rosa is in a nice spot - 5 minutes to the station is about right. They're nice people too.

Yes, Obergurgl is a good comparison. If you're only here for a week then I doubt I'd bother with Grindelwald. It's a long way and it doesn’t really offer anything that Wengen and Mürren don't already have. However if you do decide to go, ski there from Männlichen and get the bus up to the First gondola.

Whether you get off the train at Wengen and get the cable car up to Männlichen, or stay on and go to Scheidegg is really just personal choice - it depends where you want to start your day. On a nice day I'd say Männlichen is a better bet - immediate access to a lot of fast, cruisy skiing and you can work your way around to Scheidegg for lunch. On a snowy day however I'd stay on the train as Scheidegg has more cosy coffee stops and better access to lower runs in the trees.
ski holidays
Thanks - thought the same about Grindelwald. The tree skiing is that back towards Wengen or over the other side?

How far is the walk from train to cable car in Wengen?: I don't do walking in ski boots (I like Obergurgl for that...!)

Question on the trains - to get to the top skiing point Eigergletscher is a short train journey after a change - but that's going to be slower in general than skiing down and using lifts up?

I guess weather will dictate (and whether the run down to Lauterbrunnen from Winteregg is open) but I guess 2 days Murren/4 days Wengen... maybe Murren on the Sunday if less crowded - where do the Swiss weekenders go?
ski holidays
Tree skiing in both directions from Scheidegg - also the lovely Tscuggen run down to Grindelwald.

150 yards (flat) from train to the cable car in Wengen.

Fastest way to Eigergletscher is get off the train at Scheidegg, ski down to Arven and get the Eigernordwand, aka 'easyjet' chair from there.

The run down to Lauterbrunnen might be open, but it is unlikely to be honest - it didn’t open this Christmas and there was plenty of snow. In 27 seasons I've done it once (it's just a very long path). Mürren is a good choice on busier days though - start at Winteregg and ski across towards the village, then up to Birg/Schilthorn if you wish. Most locals go to Männlichen or Scheidegg at weekends, but their numbers are offset by the fact that these are transfer days for international guests, so it doesn’t make such a big difference.
ski holidays
buchanan101 wrote:
Do you mean 41° or 41%? The Harikari in Mayrhofen (supposedly steepest in Austria if not Europe) is 78% = 38°. 41° is 87% so steeper than the Harikari.

Looking at the pictures of the Schilthorn it may well be 37° not 37%, so maybe Murren now has the steepest slope in Europe?!

As regards the steepest Austrian piste, I was in the Ski Amade region last week and one day I visited the Reiteralm area near Schladming. At Reiteralm they are promoting four black pistes which they call the Black Quartette. From the piste information signs shown on that weblink you'll see that the two least steep pistes, called Black Power and Black Horse are both signed as 60% and 31° (which is the correct mathematical conversion). The second steepest, Black Queen, is signed as 65% and 33° (again the correct mathematical conversion). However the steepest of the four, called Black Rose is signed as 80% and 41°. These two figures are of course incompatible - 80% corresponds to an angle of 38.6° not 41°!!. However even if the lower angle is the correct value it would seem to be marginally steeper than the Harikari in Mayrhofen.

And as previously stated by Chris Brookes "The Schilthorn piste is 75% gradient (37 degrees). The new piste at Birg is the 88% gradient (41 degrees)."
snow conditions
Thanks guys.

Isn’t it supposed to take ages to get back up from the bottom at Grindelwald? Cog railway or an old slow gondola that is due for replacement?

I assume “easyJet” chair because it has bright orange hood? Seems to be a Swiss thing (I’ve seen them in Samnaun)?
latest report
Train to Scheidegg takes 24 minutes from Grund which is where the pistes end. Gondola takes 30 minutes back up to Männlichen. (It seems longer!)

Bright orange hood? Correct!
snow report
30minutes!!! No wonder it is due to be replaced...

Train I guess is timetabled so can take longer in effect?

Silly question as I used Euros in Samnaun (but it was just over border): Do they take Euros or just SF?
latest report
buchanan101 wrote:
30minutes!!! No wonder it is due to be replaced...

I've been told that amongst some of the boarder fraternity it's referred to as "the two spliff lift".... Toofy Grin

buchanan101 wrote:
Train I guess is timetabled so can take longer in effect?

The trick is to carry a pocket train timetable with you, so you know when they go. If you find you've a few minutes to kill at Grund whilst waiting for a train then the cafe up the stairs above the station building at Grund is good for a coffee stop (or a Lunch stop if you time it right)

buchanan101 wrote:
Silly question as I used Euros in Samnaun (but it was just over border): Do they take Euros or just SF?

Whilst you might find some places that might accept Euros (the majority don't) you'll get a very poor exchange rate. Definitely take and use CHF.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy