Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region pt. 2

Poster: A snowHead
Still quite windy at altitude this morning, but pistes much better than expected. Apparently we're due quite a bit of snow over the next few days. Fingers crossed.

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ahhhh but were you out today?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@franga Our nighbour had a lads trip on this week, 4 nights, they were at the Rock last night, had themselves a very good time! and also skied today......
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@franga Our nighbour had a lads trip on this week, 4 nights, they were at the Rock last night, had themselves a very good time! and also skied today......
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@telford_mike where is the new Golden India? couldnt find it on web, and where is Shanthi please?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@ozibird, The new Golden India in Wengen is in the Cafe Greubi building (you can find it on Google Maps), walk up the little hill from the Bernerhof to Chäs Greubi shop and turn left at the top.

Shanthi is in the Co-op complex just up from Interlaken West station.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@telford mike, thanksso much! very timely, plan to catch the train up in 30 min. What a white out of a day, but we had 2.5 hours ski at Wixi, nice snow, not too many folks out. Heard frm the Haus Meister that KS is to get 60cm tonight! anyway, would be nice to meet you sometime Smile
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Windy and heavy snow at Scheidegg this afternoon. Now snowing heavily in the village. Looks like this might be a really good storm.

@ozibird - enjoy!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@telford Mike ha ha ha we caught the 13.30 down.......saw the avalanch warning....BTW Gold India closed Mondays Sad was SO disappointed. had been queued up for indian fare for hours in my mind. Ate at Sina's, nice Tuna steak & wicked Schoggi fondue.
Thinking tomorrow will be a non ski day Sad jur we have had a week of whiteout/snow days & I just want to ski. The weather is the weather. BTW - st checked forecast, am so depressed, despite eating so much Schoggi. Am never buying 6 day passes again. This is the 2nd time this yeafull marks for looking so cheerie?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@ozibird, yeah looks a bit rough tomorrow, live music in Rocks on Wednesday from 6pm, see you there!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Still snowing here.

snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Any live updates on how things are in area? So looking forward to a week's holiday - due to arrive on Saturday for a week. Have been checking weather forecasts - looks like lots of snow but then turned to rain Sad
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Mazzarazza, raining today, forecast to continue mild for the next few days. Snow coverage very good though. Quite quiet everywhere with no queues.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've been following the forecasts for Sunday to Tuesday with interest. They have varied recently from cold and very snowy to warm and sunny. Latest Bergfex (ECM based) goes for the latter but has been changing its mind from from run to run. The 06z GFS ensembles have downgraded the precipitation to almost nothing but have it as mild. Swiss Meteo goes for heavy cloud on Sunday and Monday with a bit of rain with SRF Meteo showing more sunshine. We will see!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@telford_mike Thank you @@pjd Thank you. Good to know the weather forecasting is as variable for Switzerland as Scotland, Guess you just look at loads of different ones and make your choice. Glad to hear about the lack of queues. Whatever the weather if the lifts are open we will be on the mountain. Bags are packed

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 10-03-17 10:44; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@Mazzarazza, forecasts seem to have settled for a week of sun. Enjoy!
snow report
pjd wrote:
@Mazzarazza, forecasts seem to have settled for a week of sun. Enjoy!
Cool Cool
latest report
Cracking day today. Pistes got soft in the afternoon in the sunshine, but the snow cover is excellent.

ski holidays
Its been a strange season this year, raining down to low levels (including Mürren) in the winter season. On a positive its good news about the new snowmaking infrastructure around the Winteregg ski area and rumours(again) of the new lift system !!.

Anyway, video of our family ski holiday -
Mürren Family Ski Holiday 2017 from Chris Brookes
https://vimeo.com/207360795

Aerial view of Mürren - https://www.facebook.com/chrisbrookesaerialphotos/photos/a.860956967332270.1073741843.846527768775190/1277122609049035
latest report
Lovely video Chris, the new snowmaking looks nailed-on for next season. Looking forward to it.
snow conditions
telford_mike wrote:
Lovely video Chris, the new snowmaking looks nailed-on for next season. Looking forward to it.

thanks Mike, I hope the curry was nice Wink
snow report
So my trip to Wengen finally beckons - will be staying at the Sunstar from Sunday lunchtime to Wednesday early afternoon. A few questions please:

- where's good to start off and get my ski legs? I am a pretty lame skier, would want to start on the easiest blue around and then work up from there.
- which reds are easier and which should I avoid? I particularly don't like a narrow piste. For reference, Combe de Saulire in Courchevel was OK although the top was about my upper limit.
- what's the easiest (in terms of ski difficulty) way to get from Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg?
- I figure I should head over to Murren/Schilthorn on the day with best visibility. What about the First side - worth checking it out too given limited time?
- are there any restaurants on the piste I should definitely check out or try to avoid? I've read about the Brandegg apple fritters.

Thanks!
snow conditions
@tripowski

- Just head up to Manlichen and ski down any of the red/blues up there a few times, not really much in the colours, they're all easy enough to find your ski legs. If uncertain, just pick the blue 2.
- There is only really one way from Manlichen to K.Scheidegg, and that involves getting round to the Gummi lift. The red 8 can be a tad challenging but only if you veer to the right. Stay left and you'll be fine. Wouldn't really avoid anything marked red in Wengen unless you're feeling particularly timid. Perhaps the Eigernordwand and Honegg till you're certain, the latter of which is inevitable to get from Manlichen to KS....so..
- If you are feeling rusty on your first morning, take the train to Kleine Scheidegg instead and ski down the 22 to Brandegg. That is probably the easiest piste in resort, is long and confidence building for beginners. Also goes straight to Brandegg fritters. Alternatively the reddish 35 to Wixi Lift- then up to Lauberhorn and back down to Scheidegg on the 42 is also not too bad.
- If you're not very confident on harder reds/blacks, take care where you ski on your Murren/Schilthorn trip. Grindelwald First is a far better option from what you describe. Great wide cruising runs that should be fine, nothing much harder than a deep blue.
- TMike will no doubt have the lowdown on the mountain restaurants, in my experience there's not much in it. All pretty decent fayre. Fritters in Brandegg are great. The chocolate place (I think they make it on site) at the top of the Eigernordwand lift is also worth a visit, as is the nearby restaurant. Do after you've found your ski legs though as the runs from the top there are a tiny bit steeper.

Not jealous or anything! Have fun.
latest report
Agree with all of the above, and would add that Arven red at Scheidegg (surprisingly perhaps) is one of the easiest runs in the area for finding your feet. Restaurants are much of a muchness as @Bodeswell, has said. If skiing Männlichen to Scheidegg you can avoid 95% of Hönegg by bearing left down Rohr a couple of hundred yards after getting off the Gummi chair (nicest route anyway imho).

Hope you have a good holiday, looks like we should get some snow at altitude on Saturday & Sunday. Food at the Sunstar has been particularly good this season.
snow report
@tripowski, Mürren (better side) info -

If you visit, I would suggest going up to Birg Ski area at 2677m, you need to take a cablecar from Mürren village but superb lasting snow in the bowl and a wide open blue piste to enjoy (and a few others in the area). I hope you can put your skis on from Winteregg and ski to the Schilthornbahn but the weather is the key to it happening or not.

This is due to the rain that is forecasted arriving on the morning on Saturday 18th until Sunday 19th 8am from 2200m and below so high is what you need, a good chance of the temps dropping on the day but until it happens...head high.

Make sure you visit Birg Thrill walk (check out my movie above) , the Schilthorn Bond World 007 at 2970m and Piz Gloria View....

Any more info just post here!

piste map -
latest report
@telford_mike, good to meet you a few days ago and hope you enjoy the rest of the season. I gather from various sources that the V bahn up from Grindelwald to Männlichen And Eigergletscher is unlikely to be built in time for next season due to a number of ongoing controversies?
snow report
Thanks everyone!

I hadn't seen that map of Murren area before, it makes a lot more sense than on the main Jungfrau area map.

To get to the bottom of the lift to Birg, am I right that the options are (having got the train from Wengen to Lauterbrunnen):

1. get the bus to Stechelberg, then get the lifts all the way up
2. get the chair to Maulerhubel, then ski down to the bottom of the Allmendhubel on pistes 4 and 5, then either (a) walk through the village, (b) go to top of that lift and ski down piste 6

How hard is piste 5? How far is the walk? Does option 1 take bloody ages?!
snow report
@tripowski, old map (sorry)

Weather permitting, take the cablecar from Lauterbrunnen to Grütschalp , then the train to Winteregg (have a homemade rosti here...lovely) then take the Winteregg chair then ski down and take the chair up to the Allmendublel and ski to the Schilthornbahn...sorted!

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 16-03-17 22:59; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pjd wrote:
@telford_mike, good to meet you a few days ago and hope you enjoy the rest of the season. I gather from various sources that the V bahn up from Grindelwald to Männlichen And Eigergletscher is unlikely to be built in time for next season due to a number of ongoing controversies?

Hi Pete!

Latest news a couple of weeks ago was that the Jungfraubahn hope to have the building permits by early summer. This being the case they might just have time to get the gondola from Grund to Männlichen completed by next season. The new gondola to Eigergletscher would follow the year after. The existing gondola from Grund to Männlichen has to be decommissioned in 2018 regardless, so they need to get a move on or Männlichen's going to be mighty quiet next winter.
snow report
Thanks for the update Mike
latest report
Hey guys

Just worked out that I will arrive in Wengen around 3pm tomorrow. Assuming another hour to drop my bags at Sunstar and rent some skis, do you agree that my best bet for a couple of hours skiing (weather permitting) would be to get the train to Kl Sch and lap the run to Brandegg/Wengernalp - seems as though the trains back up from there keep running all evening. I could then get the train down to Wengen or ski back, right? How's the snow on the run back to Wengen at the moment?

I'd then hit the Birg/Murren slopes on Monday morning as the weather on Monday looks decent.

I have a two-day ski pass included in my package at the Sunstar (and am using a Transfer Ticket to get between Wengen and the airport) so what pass/ticket would I need to use the railway for a few trips on Sunday afternoon? I could avoid using the ski lifts themselves altogether I think.

It's fair to say I am quite excited...
latest report
@tripowski, it's been raining today (and still is) so the lower runs may be a bit marginal tomorrow.

My suggestion would be to get a half-day pass. Get the cable-car to Männlichen (5 minute trip) and ski the pistes up there until the lifts close. If the weather/snow is nice you can ski down to Grund (you may have to get a bus down the last bit from Aspen, but probably not). Back to Wengen via Scheidegg and you're done. Last train down from Scheidegg is 18.33. You could ski it of course, but you'll be way past last piste patrol time so go steady and look out for piste machines.
snow report
Thanks. What time do the pistes 'close'?
latest report
I think 17.00 at the moment. Last cable-car back down is also 17.00.
snow conditions
After our wet weekend we're back to normal service here with lovely weather, good pistes and very few people about. Temps are high but the pistes didn't get choppy today as hardly anyone was skiing.

snow report
I echo that - had a superb day around Kl Sch and First today. Snow is good down to around 17-1800m. And the view from Oberjoch is just incredible.

I reluctantly decided to skip Murren as the pass included at the Sunstar is Wengen/Grindelwald only, and I can't really justify spending another 60 francs (plus more for Schilthorn). Shall have to come back another time!

Hoping we keep the sun for at least some of tomorrow Cool
latest report
@tripowski, hope you enjoyed Duo Centrale in the lounge tonight.
snow conditions
Last day of my trip to Wengen so I got the 08:45 cable car up to Männlichen then skied around there then went over to Kleine Scheidegg then down to Brandegg for lunch. Went back on the train to K.S but when I got there the information boards were saying that the trains down to Wengen were cancelled due to strong winds, they'd also closed the red run 35 to Wixi and the Wixi and Fallboden lifts.So I skied back down the blue run 36 to town. Interestingly when I reached the flattish section near Wengernalp where you normally have to pole or skate a bit there was no need - the wind was behind me there and so strong I could feel it pushing me along, I didn't need to exert myself at all! Laughing
latest report
Vertical Up race today in Wengen. The challenge is to get from the bottom of the downhill course to the top. You can use anything you like as long as it isn't motorised, but most people seem to use running shoes with crampons. Shortened course today owing to a big föhn storm on the Lauberhorn.

snow report
Männlichen now closed for the season, but still good skiing at Scheidegg. Village very quiet.

ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy