Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region pt. 2

Poster: A snowHead
Wax 'em up boys and girls, looks like all 3 villages will have some skiing this weekend Very Happy Very Happy

http://www.jungfrau.ch/winter/tourismus/skigebiet/aktuell/
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm seriously contemplating a trip the week of Christmas (Dec. 19-26th)after having seen the recent snow fall totals for the Jungfrau region. Last time in that area we stayed in Grindelwald. Was mid-March, and was not a good snow year for the area, so didn't really ski as much of the area as we would have liked. Never made it over to the Schilthorn. I have some frequent flier miles cashed in for flights into Zurich, but will decide next week weather to cancel and redeposit the miles, and stay in the USA for Christmas week. It's a vexing conundrum! Should I stay or should I go!? Puzzled

Looks like still some decent lodgings available in the area too. Decisions, decisions...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Toadman,

Maybe this will convince you. Film 'The Intern' starring Robert de Niro and Anne Hathaway showing at Wengen cinema on the 19th. Free entry!

http://www.kinowengen.ch/index.htm
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Toadman, mid-March in Grindelwald...wrong choice, need to be higher at that time of year.

If you do return stay in Wengen or the highest resort in the region, Mürren wink wink

I would go....and visit the region again !

https://twitter.com/Murrenlover
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
telford_mike wrote:
@Toadman,

Maybe this will convince you. Film 'The Intern' starring Robert de Niro and Anne Hathaway showing at Wengen cinema on the 19th. Free entry!

http://www.kinowengen.ch/index.htm

@telford_mike

I'm thinking, "no" on that front. Now, if you tell me there's a 50cm dump that will fall on Dec. 19th, then, yes, I will be in Wengen! Very Happy

@Chris Brooks

Yes, lesson learned about mid-March in the Jungfrau arena. Still had bluebird conditions the entire week we were there, and the on mountain food was obviously worth the price of admission. I guess I have unfinished business in that area. Never skied the First area with the South facing slopes. And it looks enticing for some off-piste too!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mid March Like December can have great conditions but with March at least you can predict porridge in the afternoon especially on the Lauberhorn, if they get a good base before the early weekend skiers track it out or the wind strips it off the slopes then the area can have great conditions in December, right now there s heavy snow forecast tomorrow, going lighter Thursday, before snow showers over the weekend, if they get as much over the next two days as fell at the weekend then they will have a good base, good skiing can be had with 80cm snow depth at Kleine Scheidegg and 40cm in Wengen, if it gets more than 1M at Kleine Scheidegg all the runs will usually be in a good condition, with more than 1M in Wengen expect many areas to be shut due to avalanche risk
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@ DG Orf

Thanks for that info. Very helpful. As I recall when we were there, the Swiss were/are very good at piste management with very little snow.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yup, the problems occur if the snow comes down in high winds or if there are high winds before the piste bashers get out, in this case certain areas tend to suffer, the runs from Scheidegg to Mannlichen and back are especially vulnerable at their tops, as is the Oh God run down from Eigergletscher but once the base has been piested it will tend to last till the end of the season
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nice article in the JZ about the maintenance work on the cableways at Murren.

http://www.jungfrauzeitung.ch/artikel/139981/
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Looking good. we'll be at Grindelwald on the 9th of Jan. Let it snow! Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Okay, so just booked the Hotel Falken in Wengen. Comes with free cancelation up until Dec. 12th, so it gives us a bit of leeway in case snow is forecast to fall elsewhere in the Alps the week of Dec. 19. However, fully anticipate wall to wall snow coverage for the entire Jungfrau ski region! 😀

I normally bring my own skis when I go on ski trips but this time we are adding days in Amsterdam, so going to rent. Looks like central Sports is the place to go, or?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Toadman, Central probably has the best selection and generally speaking prices will be similar at all 4 shops in Wengen that Hire
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Toadman, sounds like a plan...make sure you visit car-free Murren
http://youtube.com/v/iOEu65hWyIE
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Conditions permitting, definitely plan to ski off the top of the Schilthorn. I hope I have the chance to ski all 3 main areas while we are there.

Just curious how long it takes to get from Wengen all the way up top of Schilthorn?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Toadman, Wengen to winteregg station/Chairlift..40 minutes.....

At last you have the chance of skiing back to Lauterrbrunnen from Winteregg ( weather permitting)
ski holidays
Toadman wrote:
hope I have the chance to ski all 3 main areas while we are there.

You can ski the 3 in one day if you get up early Laughing I tried doing all the blue runs in the Jungfrau in one day but i failed miserably. I went from Mannlichen down to Grindelwald, then the gondola broke down for almost an hour. Went up to First and did all the blues there, then back to Grindelwald and up to Kleine Scheidegg and down to Wengen.
ski holidays
Maintenance on schedule back to normal from the 5th December for the winter season -

snow conditions
Good Grief! Shocked That doesn't look like fun. Glad they will have everything ship shape for the start of winter.
ski holidays
Schilthornbahn have submitted a planning application for snowmaking infrastructure in Murren. No dates yet, but good news.

http://www.jungfrauzeitung.ch/artikel/140161/
latest report
So, do we think skiing in Jungfrau is going to be good to decent the week of December 12th? @telford_mike, and @Chris Brookes?

And @Toadman, I may see you there, will be driving from Amsterdam. Taking the car so we can chase snow if need be.
ski holidays
@Toadman, I can help with you ski storage in Amsterdam if you want to bring skis
ski holidays
HeidiAmsterdam wrote:
So, do we think skiing in Jungfrau is going to be good to decent the week of December 12th? @telford_mike, and @Chris Brookes?

Of course it will @HeidiAmsterdam, for one simple reason - I'm going out on the 10th Toofy Grin
snow report
@telford_mike, as you know, Murren has been on my wish list for a couple of years. Being bound by school vacations, I can't get a booking - or out of my budget.

But for the last two years, my kids have this December week, so this may be our chance. I am teaching in Bern in March and was planning to sneak in a few days then, but this may be even better.

I'm booked in Italy for the two weeks after that, and this is 'on the way' from Amsterdam.... it's on my radar screen now for December.

Kids will be sporting new ski equipment, so hope the coverage is good, wouldn't want to nick the new skis.
snow conditions
@HeidiAmsterdam, the weekend of the 12th December the temps are dropping around freezing at 1650m again with a 30% chance of new snow that week....
latest report
telford_mike wrote:
Schilthornbahn have submitted a planning application for snowmaking infrastructure in Murren. No dates yet, but good news.

http://www.jungfrauzeitung.ch/artikel/140161/

Also been rumours about another lift (t-bar or 2str chairlift )at Winteregg including three new runs
snow conditions
@Chris Brookes, December 12th is crystal ball weather prediction at this point...

We can't leave until the evening of the 12th. Daugther #1 has a football match in the afternoon, and Daughter #2 has a theater production in the afternoon - but after that we're taking off, to somewhere... Jungfrau, Verbier, Tignes
snow conditions
HeidiAmsterdam wrote:
@Chris Brookes, December 12th is crystal ball weather prediction at this point...
that's why its only 30% wink
latest report
@HeidiAmsterdam, It's a tricky decision. There's no real way to know what the weather might be like in 10 days time. However, Chris is right - the latest ECM charts show significant cooling around the 12th, which is better than a chart showing significant warming at least Very Happy

We usually travel out to Wengen a week or two before Christmas, and we almost always get good skiing. Last season was a notable exception - it was very poor, but then so was everywhere else.

This was 16th December 2013.

And 16th December 2012

ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I know... December is tricky. I didn't choose this week December week to be the extra week. I've written letters telling them, that the 1st in January is a far better choice - not just for skiers, but for the Orthodox kids - which there are many of - many Russians in our school... but they don't listen. I was trying to be unselfish, trying to think of others and not just ONLY of my skiing needs.

so honorable of me. Clearly. Height of integrity and all that. Without avail.

Last year we went to Cervinia, great snow, great fun, was the only game in the Alps really, but it worked and given same circumstances I wouldn't hesitate to repeat. But Cervinia hasn't fared all that well up to now. And Jungfrau has charm and beauty, that needs to be experienced.

Not booking hotels at the moment, just making my list of top 3, which are 'likely' to be skiable. Murren, Verbier and Tignes is my list - watching all three. Jungfrau is closest to home. I could drive Saturday night most the way, and wake up early and still ski be skiing by 10 am or so.
snow conditions
HeidiAmsterdam wrote:
@Toadman, I can help with you ski storage in Amsterdam if you want to bring skis

@HeidiAmsterdam thanks for the offer but we have decided it's not worth the effort to schlep skis on this trip. Plus I think the cost of excess baggage fees makes ski hire a reasonable option.
ski holidays
@Toadman, why do you want to come here, after it has snowed 250cm in Whistler?
ski holidays
HeidiAmsterdam wrote:
@Toadman, why do you want to come here, after it has snowed 250cm in Whistler?

Because I can ski Whistler anytime, and have for decades. In fact will probably be at Whistler at some point during the season. And not all that 250cm of precip. fell as snow. I rolled the dice, and when I saw some saver award availability to cash in some frequent flyer miles out of AMS back to SEA, I figured it was a sign to come ski Europe for Christmas! Trust me, I will be skiing all over the USA and Canada this winter. We have been blessed with much better early season conditions this year than last. Colorado resorts look good. (Which I did last Christmas at Breck. and Vail.) I've already gotten in one very pleasant day on my home mtn just a few days ago!. You can all thank me later when I bring the fluffy white stuff to the Alps for Christmas! Very Happy

snow conditions
@Toadman, Is Mt. Baker your local?

And if you bring the white fluffy stuff for Christmas, I WILL thank you! I nearly bought an epic pass, and actually they've extended their offer until December 6th, and I am might close to booking to SFO and going up to Tahoe... would love to ski Heavenly and Kirkwood again...

I am so unbelievable tempted... but husband is joining and he has to work, and claims the 9 hour time difference throws a wrench in his conference call schedule....

Jungfrau is not fairing poorly, considering. And it is the shortest drive from Amsterdam... but still... Tahoe...
snow report
@HeidiAmsterdam

No, my local hill is Crystal Mountain. I've actually never skied Baker. It's on the "to do list". I'm one of those types that likes to sample different areas, which is partly why I want to go back to Wengen, because I really never got to fully sample it the first time. And speaking of Tahoe, that was choice # 2 for Christmas week but it actually would be more expensive than a trip to the Alps, unless we stayed off mtn, which I would never do for a ski trip. And the Tahoe resorts are starting to shape up nicely.

Most likely I will take a look at the forecast for the USA when we get back from Europe, and either do Tahoe, or possibly go to Telluride. And then of course a nice long weekend trip to Whistler or even a cat ski trip somewhere in interior BC. Decisions, decisions! wink
snow report
@Toadman, sounds like you have some looking around to do.

I found some nice things on the piste at Heavenly, but checking out before Christmas, as I need to be back in Europe for Christmas.

Crystal is was the mountain of my cousins, but now they do Baker - living in Mt. Vernon...

I have Whistler on my radar for January - a bunch of girls from High School are having a meet up there...so maybe I can squeeze it in between a conference in SFO, otherwise I'll suffer through a few days at Kirkwood. Toofy Grin
snow report
Very warm today +5c in #Mürren With FL at 2000m. Temps not expected to drop below freezing until this weekend.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 7-12-15 20:38; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Ah man... I think I'm going to opt for somewhere higher for next week. Don't quite trust it, and the prices are dear enough, that I should be skiing
snow conditions
Arrived this afternoon. Very quiet, just locals and seasonal workers at the moment. It's much snowier than I expected - the Main Street is covered and everything looks quite good - certainly a lot better than it did this time last year.

Civic improvements in Lauterbrunnen - all the platforms are being re-layed. This is a PITA for travellers as you can't cross the tracks. Hope they get it finished for Christmas!

Weather is cold and clear.
snow report
@telford_mike Supposedly they received about 10 centimeters yesterday from about 2,000 meters? Keep us posted please, and thanks for the update.
snow report
Toadman wrote:
@telford_mike Supposedly they received about 10 centimeters yesterday from about 2,000 meters? Keep us posted please, and thanks for the update.

More like 5cm
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy