Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region pt. 2

Poster: A snowHead
Staying here http://www.roessli-interlaken.ch/en/lage.php I`m sure the folk at the hotel will know the best way to go.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Deedee wrote:
Staying here http://www.roessli-interlaken.ch/en/lage.php I`m sure the folk at the hotel will know the best way to go.

It's in a lovely part of town, lots to do in Interlaken.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My sister and brother-in-law are going to be skiing in Wengen for the week from March 8. I'm trying to find a way to join them out there but can't actually stay where they're staying, so I'm trying to find affordable accommodation there for a single person. Everything I see is priced on the basis of 2 or more people sharing a room. Just wondering whether any of you regulars have tips on where to stay there, as a single person? I've stayed in Gimmelwald before, but it's a drag to get from there to Wengen every day.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
J2R, I'm a bit puzzled, there are plenty of hotels in Wengen that do single rooms e.g over they years I've stayed in single rooms at the Bernerhof, Falken and the Alpenrose to name but 3. Are you only looking at using a Tour Operator? - there's no need to, DIY travel and booking directly with the hotel is very easy....
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sorry, I should have made it a bit clearer what I meant by affordable. They all seem to be upwards of £120 a night, which is a little outside my ideal price bracket, and hugely more than I was paying in Gimmelwald. Anything I've seen cheaper than that has been on the basis of 2 or more people sharing a room.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
J2R, Well a quick check on the Bernerhof website shows that they appear to have a single room for week commencing 8th March for 76CHF per night B&B (about £53 per night) with the option of half board for an extra 25CHF (approx. £17.50) per night. Don't know if this is more in your price league?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
J2R, Bernerhof is a good basic hotel, some of the rooms don't have ensuite or all the fancy stuff but prices have always been reasonable and it is in the highstreet, had friends stay there before and they've considered it good value for money
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Deedee, Think I'd use the short connection from West to Ost by train, as telford_mike, it's a nice part of Interlaken to stay in. You might want to try a coffee in the restaurant at the top of the hote (I think) Metropole on the Main Street which has a great view on a clear day, also the chocolates from Cafe Schuh are to die for almost opposite the hotel Metropole and wth one side adjacent to the open park area.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Think we're staying at the Bernerhof for the same week .. March 8th.
Never stayed there before but it's nearer the gondola than anywhere else I've stayed.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Alastair Pink wrote:
J2R, Well a quick check on the Bernerhof website shows that they appear to have a single room for week commencing 8th March for 76CHF per night B&B (about £53 per night) with the option of half board for an extra 25CHF (approx. £17.50) per night. Don't know if this is more in your price league?

Edit: that price is for a single room with shower & WC and inclusive of taxes.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for the tips, I'd somehow overlooked the Bernerhof. I'll look into it.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The Bernerhof makes a really good rösti if I remember rightly ....
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Brian T wrote:
Has the restaurant at Allmend opened again anyone?

Yes
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If interested, here is my video of trekking up Kilimanjaro -
Autism Jersey Kilimanjaro Charity Trek 2014 from Chris Brookes
https://vimeo.com/87010257

Thank you to all that kindly donated to this superb charity
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks stab,
latest report
I've ended up with a room at the Belvedere in the end. Went for a Neilson package which seemed a good price overall.
snow conditions
J2R, Belvedere a little further out, not a bad hotel, pretty good value for money, bit of a walk back at the end of the day if wearing ski boots, recomend paying the extra and renting a spot in central sport so you can leave your skis and boots there
snow report
We stayed at the belvedere in jan. We loved it. The staff are really friendly and helpful. The bar area has beautiful arts and crafts panelling and fabulous mountain views. It's about a 5 min walk so it acts as a warm up/cool down wink
snow conditions
That's good. I may pay to leave my skis down near the gondola (does Molitor have storage? - hired there before), and put up with the tramp in my boots. I like to warm my boots up before putting them on (I have the little Thermic devices), so like to have them in my hotel room with me. (I have ZipFit liners in my boots which make them a pig to put on when cold).
latest report
J2R, Central Sport have really good storage and changing facilities ... think they blow warm air into the boot rack overnight. So easy just to walk there, change, and then the gondola or train station are just round the corner.
Storage doesn't cost much either .....
But then I have only used them before ... no reason to change to another outfit if you're satisfied.
snow report
Good - I like the reports - cracked and booked the Belvedere on a package last week for mid March as my usual hotel in Lauterbrunnen has become disgracefully expensive - more expensive than a week's package. It is interesting how some of the Jungfrau hotels shoot themselves in the foot for the independent traveller - charging far more than they must be charging the TOs - amazing the b&b prices even that booking.com are coming up with for the same hotel!

Ta also for the advice earlier on this thread and ski pass has been prebooked.
ski holidays
Apologies if i asked this before…should i hire skis in Interlaken or when i`m up on the hill? Bringing my own boots but need to get skis. Would be handy to get them from the same place if there was a shop near the station at Ost.
latest report
Deedee, I think theres a ski hire place near West station but I ca't recall one near Ost I'm afraid, http://www.intersportrent.com/skirental-interlaken/intersport-oberland_8951 just found it, actually about halfway between the two stations, if ariving or leaving on a Sunday however you'd be stuck as apparently they are not open, you might be better off renting from Alpia sport in Lauterbrunnen http://www.alpiasport.ch/en/lauterbrunnen/index.html in that case, but always easier to rent locally to your hotel wherever possible.
snow report
Cheers DGorf. We`re arriving on the Sunday but not skiing till the Monday.

One last question (promise). Is there a cheap way to get a train ticket from Geneva? Looks like it`s going to be about £100 return from the airport, thought it was going to be cheaper than that.
snow report
Deedee, swiss transfer ticket currently 139 CHF return, blame the poor exchange rate https://www.swissrailways.com/en/products/swisstransferticket mind you Geneva airport to Interlaken Ost is only 71Chf each way so you only save 3Chf ! the fare to Wengen would be 85chf each way so it becomes a bit more of a saving
snow report
Deedee, I believe you posted that you're not travelling until Early March? In which case you've time to order and get delivered Swiss Transfer Tickets which have to be ordered before you arrive in Switzerland. There are a number of places that sell them. I usually get mine through swisspasses.com - you'll see that they sell them for £94, which admittedly isn't a lot less than the £100 you were talking about, unfortunately I think this in part reflects the current exchange rate against the CHF.
snow conditions
Yep, arriving on the 9th. The Swiss Rail site says 142 chf for a return. Thought it was going to be much less but it turns out that was for a kids ticket. Damn it
snow report
How's things right now ... can't wait until we arrive on March 8th ....... ??
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Its snowing tonight and it looks like its going to be below average temps next week
ski holidays
It snowed a bit last night. 2-3ins at the most. Very spring like below 1500m especially in sunnier spots. Been to the Schilthorn today. Black was very mogul and cut up. Better on Monday this week. Run down to Lauterbrunnen is still closed as is the Gimmeln drag . The pistes from the Schiltgrat are fairly quiet. Will try and post pics later
Wifi permitting
snow conditions
The Gimmeln t-bar is closed all season. It will either return next season after repair work or replaced with a chair . Currently their is a online petition going on to try and save the t-bar. The winteregg - Lauterbrunnen run is closed but you can ski all the way down;)
ski holidays
Chris Brookes wrote:
Currently their is a online petition going on to try and save the t-bar.

You're joking, right? Surely everyone would prefer a chair?
snow conditions
http://www.petitionbuzz.com/petitions/gimmelnskilift
snow report
It's clear from that site that the petition isn't to keep the T-bar open, instead of putting in a new chairlift - it's to keep some kind of lift open there instead of having none (as at present, with the T-bar not running).
latest report
Interesting article about the Jungfraujoch and the planned new link from Grindelwald Grund to Eigergletscher here Madeye-Smiley

P.s Don't tell Chris Brookes that the filming location for Blofeld's lair in James Bond's outing On Her Majesty's Secret Service has been relocated from the Schilthorn to the Jungfraujoch - one less attraction for Murren! wink
ski holidays
Chris Brookes wrote:
http://www.petitionbuzz.com/petitions/gimmelnskilift

Signed. There appears to be some fear that the lift will not be replaced. In these circumstances I can see that a t-bar is much better than nothing!

On the other side of the valley, we've just fixed our webcam which has been broken since late last night. Thanks for all the texts telling me about the problem!

http://www.downhillonly.com/site/cam.shtml
snow report
Alastair Pink wrote:
Interesting article about the Jungfraujoch and the planned new link from Grindelwald Grund to Eigergletscher here Madeye-Smiley

P.s Don't tell Chris Brookes that the filming location for Blofeld's lair in James Bond's outing On Her Majesty's Secret Service has been relocated from the Schilthorn to the Jungfraujoch - one less attraction for Murren! wink

Good old Telegraph giving such inaccurate information
snow conditions
Have never skiied "over the other side" but looking at the piste map it looks like a few runs would be out of service if there wasn't a lift/chair there.
That would be a great shame.
We were thinking of taking our equipment over to the other side this visit but would only do it if we could ski all the way back to Lauterbrunnen.
Is that closed due to lack of snow ??
snow report
No, the missing Gimmeln T-bar is only really a shortcut (albeit a very handy one). For all the runs which it services, you can carry on past the lift and end up at the Schiltgrat chair. That's likely to be far more of a bottleneck with the T-bar not running, though.
snow report
gdbn wrote:
Have never skiied "over the other side" but looking at the piste map it looks like a few runs would be out of service if there wasn't a lift/chair there.
That would be a great shame.
We were thinking of taking our equipment over to the other side this visit but would only do it if we could ski all the way back to Lauterbrunnen.
Is that closed due to lack of snow ??

All the runs are open around the closed t-bar. Currently the Winteregg/Lauterbrunnen run is closed but you can still ski down to the very bottom Wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy