Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Innsbruck | Tirol snow conditions 2017/18

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
It's been one of the best #Snowvembers we've had for a while, so finally time to get this show on the road again!

The season started in mid September, with Stubaier Glacier opening on the 16th. The day after it started snowing, and I went up for the first time when the storm cleared on the 21st. It was fantastic to start the season with genuine powder turns, and the glacier was in much healthier shape than at the same time in previous years. Piste conditions were fantastic, with nice powder off the sides in safe spots - and hungry crevasses lurking in others.

A little video of my first turns of the season: https://www.instagram.com/p/BZTIaowAOcF/?taken-by=clarkleberryfinn

And photos:

After that it was back to kayaking for a few more weeks: https://www.instagram.com/p/BZTV4W1AmBB/?taken-by=clarkleberryfinn

With a couple of cruisey mornings on the glacier when a few flakes fell. Until...
latest report     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
...It snowed properly again!

In late October a bigger storm came through, with snow down to low(-ish) altitude. With the west proving best (as it often does for snow in these parts), a friend and I headed to the Arlberg for the first skitour of the season.

There was no snow in St Anton village, so we drove round to St Christoph and skinned up the blue piste towards the Galzigbahn top station (and the funky hillock thing above it). 20-20cm of snow in St Christoph and ~40 at the top of the Galzig - in hindsight this formed the first base of the season for the Arlberg, at least over 2000m.

Elias on the way up the last section (our phone cameras struggled in the uber bright light):

The sun cooked the snow pretty quickly, and it was already turning as we started the descent. Still some nice powder turns in the more shaded/sheltered spots though.

My turn:

Then Elias followed:

Last schuss back in to St Christoph village:

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 19-11-17 22:41; edited 1 time in total
snow report     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Good to see this thread up and running!
latest report     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Over the last few weeks we've been hit by storm after storm, and we've had some really incredible skitouring conditions!

The 5th of November brought bangs and fireworks in the form of an incredibly intense storm, which dumped over 1 metre of snow in just 24 hours of its cycle at Stubai:

Nov 7th dawned bright and clear, so I snuck out for a skitour before accompanied, accompanied by my gf plus Elliot (another Brit in Innsbruck, who's just opened a ski shop: http://www.powderinstitute.com) and Chris, who I worked with a few years ago in Vorarlberg.

My turn breaking trail:

Easily a metre of snow at the top:

Beautiful views over the Inn valley as I, Chris and Elliot pause at the top of what's normally a red piste:

I conned the others into giving me first track by promising to stop and take photos when they followed Laughing

Chris came next:

Then Elliot (as half of Innsbruck turns up too late for first tracks):

Then my gf Chrisi, too fast for my camera's focus:

If only pistes could like like this all the time:

And finally my turn:

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 19-11-17 23:36; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Excellent. Keep it up.
snow report     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@nozawaonsen, thanks, I've been meaning to get it started for weeks but have spent too long staring at a computer for work to find the energy!

@cad99uk, cheers!
ski holidays     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Fantastic photos! Very Happy
ski holidays     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Why couldn’t I be there? Going green
ski holidays     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@clarky999, nice pics. Shame it had clagged in when we got up there last week. Snow was still good though. I can confidently say that Leeds is not as good Very Happy Cool
latest report     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The following weekend ANOTHER storm blew in, this time a true Nordstau. Monday 13 was my birthday so skiing somewhere was definitely on the agenda, but where? West was a bit too warm for powder below treeline (and alpine was out with heavy snow during the day)...

In the end we went to Westendorf to skin up the pistes. I always like to try to ski Westendorf before the lifts open for Nostalgia's sake (I used to go there on family holidays growing up), but more importantly the trees go right to the top and the pistes are pure grass/mud, so 10cms of snow is easily enough to ski safely.

Which is good, 'cos that's pretty much exactly what we found at the bottom (~800m):

Snow cannons were on full blast from the mid station up:

And MUCH snowier at the top (~1800m):

Being my birthday I didn't feel too bad about claiming first tracks, though it did mean I was on photo duty again.

Andy drops in:

Sophia follows:

And Johannes brings up the rear:

Andy got a couple of snaps of me lower down. This is by the bottom of the black run which runs to the side of the main piste from Choralpe to the base of the Alpenrosenbahn gondola:

Like skiing mini moguls!

ski holidays     
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Hurtle, thanks!

@geepee, it's not too late! Very Happy

@Scarlet, haha indeed! Still you'll be adding to this thread in no time too!
latest report     
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The last storm brought much of the freeride terrain close to Innsbruck into a reasonable state of play, but given it came in pretty windy with warm sun swiftly following I thought it would be a good idea to leave the snow to settle for a day or two before venturing out, and didn't ski again until Thursday.

By this point the Innsbruck skitouring community had been out in force, and much of the reasonable routes had been skied out. Chrisi and I went out for a dawn ski tour for the exercise anyway, and found a few nice turns between the chop and crust in the Kalkkögel zone behind Axamer Lizum.

We only skied from the foot of the couloir as it still looked totally filled with rocks - one brave guy who skied it solo confirmed this, pulling through the exit just as we arrived at the crack.

The area to the right is one of the most popular freeride/skitouring zones in the Kalkkögel, and was basically a mogul piste... After the last few winters everyone seems to be making the most of the snow whilst it's here where normally they'd wait until winter proper!
snow report     
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yesterday (Saturday) we went for a cruisey sunny piste day in Obergurgl, which opened on Thursday. There's lots of snow up there and piste conditions are generally very good (maybe a bit heavy on the artificial stuff in places, which can feel a bit 'aggressive' in racing parlance, or overly grippy), though the offpiste was very wind blasted. Excellent coverage on all pistes including down to the valley though.

Made a great discovery at the Nederhütte too: the Hüttenrosti is a pretty close substitute for a full English breakfast! Rosti with almost-real bacon, fried egg and bread - a happy surprise!

------

Woke up this morning (Sunday) to snow out my bedroom window down here in the city at 600m, which carried on until mid-Morning. I doubt very much fell in total, but probably another 10-15cm on the hill. Looks like another few centimetres are due Monday/Tuesday, before warming up to around 10°C in the city for a couple of day then potentially more cold and snow around the 27th.

I'm not concerned about this short mild period. If anything it'll help the snow consolidate a bit offpiste, and could help avoid the formation of surface hoar/weak faceted crystals at the bottom of the snowpack which caused big avalanche problems the past two seasons.
snow conditions     
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Further Snowfalls at the weekend and following week
ski holidays     
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just had an excellent 1st day in Obergurgl, getting completely out of my depth in powder. Ended up a**e-over-man-boobs quite a few times but overall it was a blast. A lot of wind blown snow around including on pistes, some from last night, with a tiny sprinkling during the day. Unfortunately, with the rising temperature it was already thickening up later in the day, so the champagne party may be over for now...
latest report     

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy