Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The view from............ Val d'Isere and the Espace Killy

Poster: A snowHead
@moosepig, Piste L is in Fornet, it's a gully similar to Santons but a LOT nicer and is often closed due to avalanche risk. I did it for the first time ever a couple of years back, and really enjoyed it.

I'll be back in Val tomorrow, SUPER excited!! I don't think I'll ever have seen so much snow in March. Looking forward to another great week in the EK.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
moosepig wrote:
Where's piste i? Is it new?

The op means piste L i think.
Goes from the datcha lift base down to lasinent. (?) it’s a little red like at the top but has been regraded for this season so is better than it was. Then narrows ala santons. Can be quite hairy when it’s busy as it’s graded as a blue back to val d so encourages the beginning set who might not have the best control through the narrows. Although that said when it’s quiet and the snow is good it’s a lovely run down to the valley floor.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@HoneyBunny, @Timg60, Thanks - yep, I'm familiar with L and have done it a few times (would have done it more but as you say they close it often) snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@moosepig, It will be Piste L (not obvious when lowercase L looks the same as uppercase I!)

It starts at the entrance to the Datcha lift and runs down a gully to the Laisinant lift. One of my faves in the resort.

It's often closed due to avalanche risk, especially on warm afternoons. There was a bad one earlier in the season that came down at the bottom and close to the Laisinant Express lift. @Steve Angus, posted up some pictures and footage at the time. As ever, a warning that pistes are always closed for a reason.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
lynnecha - thank you too!!!! Glad you had fun! Keep in improving!
compostcorner - yes it is a hard piste that Piste L
HoneyBunny - yes it is similar to Santons and in some ways nicer than Santons but the start is steep! Yes closed often in the afternoons cause of avalanche danger. However it is goes down to Laisenant not in Fornet!
Timg60 - id say closer to a black (in many a resort) at the top... but certainly a red yes! it is the part above towards the Datcha lift that has been regraded over the Summer. Like Santons with the amount of snow we have had this Winter both are skiing better this year and wider!
sno trax - yes there was a huge slide on the lower section earlier in the season you are correct... and like Santons a piste most definitely NOT to ski when the pisteurs have closed it!

A pleasant day

Not too much to report from today really... had a relative lie in and then a family chevallot breakfast. Clare took Olivia out for a ski whilst I had some time with Ben at home and did some jobs that needed doing then we all had a nice family meal at Tuffs restaurant. After a chilled couple of hours I headed to our apartment we rent out (www.freshchalets.co.uk) to meet our new guests and do a couple of jobs that needed doing and they got stuck in traffic so I have only been in for an hour or so... however I did fit my periscope in although I was not on the mountain as such today!

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1RDGldpAvVzGL

Even though I didnt get any photos on the hill today I thought I would share a couple of photos someone in my group from this week sent me of our off pisting excursions.... see below.

The weather was grey and warm today and it just snowed (not rained) but not a particularly pleasant day up there I dont think - more of the same tomorrow but worse potentially - eeeek!

Yours truly about to lead us into the Gorge du Malpasset

Ian looking pretty happy with himself.

TTFN
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Steve Angus,
Quote:

WC 19th March.... unless Sunday 18th???? then it looks like afternoons or a morning Thursday 22nd is my only availability!

Thanks, if afternoon on Sunday. that might work, leaving that first morning of week, for me, to warm up. I thought you took Sundays off though? Bit challenging to do first morning after arrival, I think, need to get ski legs moving again first.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What a journey yesterday. Started by taking over two hours to get to Gatwick, 40 mins longer than expected (most of it stuck in traffic). Then the transfer for Chambery to Val... Left at 6pm, got to the chalet at 11pm

Was so relieved to finally get there, started unpacking only to realise my liquid wax had exploded in my ski bag and covered the bag of my ski trousers in a nice waxy write coating that I am finding very hard to get off.

Not the ideal start to the holiday! But hey, at least we arrived at the Chalet Marsala and get to go skiing today!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Bennisboy, ☹️ Bad luck. How come journey up hill took so long? Traffic? Snow?

Hope your luck changes. Snow looking brilliant. Need a Domestic Goddess to advise how to wash wax off clothes. That ain’t me!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
PeakyB - yea i work my schedule around bookings / enquiries so if you wanted the Sunday afternoon... I can do that.... Then I'll probably take the Saturday off instead. It's supply and demand to a large extent. Anyway let me know.

Bennisboy - what a journey... At least you're here now... Strong Foehn around today. Warm! Have a good 1st day.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Should have tried leaving yesterday

7 hrs to Lyon

At least it was better than the 11 hours getting up !!

Worst journey to val and back ever but one of my best weeks as we had resided to the fact weather would be grim all week and it really wasnt
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Bennisboy, Have you tried putting a brown paper bag over the stain and then ironing the bag, with luck the paper bag will soak up the wax.

PS I'm not a goddess. wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@PeakyB, traffic, so much traffic.

On the plus side I think the wax mainly rubbed out during the day, but we'll see.

Off piste lesson was great, hard work, no visibility, but it's been 15 years since the last lesson and all in all a fun experience with a good instructor (Charlie)

Also the end of the day saw some sunlight coming through at the cocorico, hoping it stays that way for tomorrow, but who knows
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
harvsurrey - blimey - well as you say at least the snow was worth it!
Bennisboy - glad you enjoyed the lesson - I think I saw you guys up there with Charlie today... yes hopefully better weather tomorrow but we shall see.

A stinky day

It was a slightly early start this morning with the kids but it didnt matter as they enjoyed giving Clare her Mothers Day present. I was not meeting until 0930 so we had a rather chilled family start to the day which was nice. Looking out the window that was just as well as it was a really stinker out there - there was a punchy Foehn wind from the south and thicks clouds and it was vying between rain and snow down here in town!

Anyway I made it to the meeting point and realised that I had left my phone at home so felt rather lost without it!

Anyway I had 3 ladies and it was billed as beginners lesson but in reality one had done a couple of hours at an indoor facility in the UK, another a week when they were much younger whilst the 3rd was rather timid so it was an 'interesting' mix to get going. It wasnt long before one of them (the timid one) dropped out leaving the other two and by the end of the morning we were all on the Village lift - a successful morning. However the wind and snowy rain was not welcome down low and up high it must have been awful! By lunchtime I was a little damp - especially my gloves!

After lunch I had another 3 intermediate ladies and we ended up doing the green triangle up the Bellevarde side and had a successful afternoon working on various aspects of their skiing. It was mighty quiet up there and the weather remained pretty awful although right at the end of the afternoon the clouds parted a little so who knows what tomorrow will bring.

Clare was down the valley with the kids at a friends daughters birthday party therefore I had an hour or so at home all to myself before they got back... I did a few bits and pieces and actually enjoyed a cup of tea all to myself - yay!

Ohhhh yea and I called home to say HAPPY MOTHERS DAY to my mum - the same to all you mums out there.

In other news there was a general power cut that took all the power out in Tignes last night around about midnight which was caused by some sort of EDF voltage error or something - anyway all sorted now!

It was the first day of the fishing season in this region of France today and some brave people made the most of it:

Fisherman fishing for trout on the first day of the fishing season!!!! Hope their waders are warm?

My Periscope was done late this afternoon from my balcony at home once again!

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1yoJMkYmVmNKQ

I took the photo below as it was about the only time all day that the weather was good enough to be able to actually see anything!

So tomorrow a well known energy drinks manufacturers corporate trip is happening. Each year as a school they book about 5/6 of us out all day for several days and tomorrow is day one of this booking. Bearing in mind it is all expenses paid as far as the clients are concerned they often party rather hard so we shall have to see how many people make the first, second and subsequent sessions... I am taking the beginner snowboarders so we shall have to see how that goes! Hopefully they will all turn up and stay sober enough to last the first day and into the second!

TTFN
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That really was a day of two halves!

Woke up with a hangover from hell, didn't make it up the mountain until about 11 (had to venture around town to get water for the time in the mountain, given that I forgot to take any yesterday and spent the day incredibly dehydrated).

Sun was peaking through but conditions were very varied, one moment great vis, the next tough to make out anything.

We stopped for lunch at a place just up the slope from Fornet (great food and not that unreasonable for mountain prices). Around 3.30 we realised the link back to Val was closed, so hopped on the bus, for off at the next stop hoping to ski back, but a slight navigational error led us back to the top of the fornet cable car Confused

Only two of us were left at this point, and decided we'd jump on the chairlift from there for one last run, and it was right then they suddenly the conditions just cleared. Clouds parted to show blue skies, and huge powder fields underneath the lift! We lapped it three times having an absolute blast snowHead

Lifts were shut by the end of our last lap, so we headed down Foret but nipped into the trees and did some hardworking tree skiing.

Was knackered and sweaty by the end, but so glad I stayed out!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:

There’s probably enough snow
Just heading home after a great weekend.

Difficult conditions yesterday and today in the viz but the snow was perfect everywhere. Saturday pm felt like it was our own resort and we were putting fresh tracks in everywhere, in the sun.

Back in 10 days for a longer stay. Can’t wait.
snow report
Bennisboy - sounds like quite an eventful day - nothing like a good day on the hill to clear a hangover!!!!

A very different day

Well it was an eventful night - Olivia was awake at 3am coughing and spluttering and that in turn woke me too... I was coughing like crazy too and the tickle in my throat would not go away so I ended up being awake for a good hour... arghh!

Anyway we got Olivia off to school and even then it wasnt conventional as I forgot her school bag and had to rush upstairs again to get it having put her on the bus.

So since I was on the snowboard today and the plan was to have a team meeting (all the instructors on the booking) at Gourmandine at 0845 that is what we did. Sorting out some of the details for this corporate booking e.g. lunch meeting spot etc!

Anyway it was a chaotic start for sure... firstly one of my team was so hungover I couldnt really understand anything he was saying for the first hour. The second issue was that he had no waterproof gear at all and along with one other person in the same boat we first had to go and buy a pair of trousers and jackets for him for the day. All this whilst the tour operators driver was on hand to shuttle us from place to place and finally to the nursery slopes where one of the them (the beginner skier) was being deposited with his other learning colleagues before I headed off my boarder and up the mountain. It turns out that the two that I had were not actually beginners at all but more strong intermediates! However the hangover for one and a bad back for another meant that we got one circuit of the green triangle in before a coffee stop beaconed!

The weather was pretty hit and miss most of the morning (actually most of the day) but when a little visibility came through it was awesome and we even had some powder on the pistes to play with... the temps have fallen just enough so the snow is back in good condition at altitude (not so much at lower altitudes!)

After coffee we did a second lap before downloading (this was 1230) and everyone from all the groups were basically back at Snowberry taking their boots and skis off. Lunch had been booked for all 28 people in the group including instructors etc at the new L'Etincelle restaurant there at the bottom of the Solaise mountain.... We had been told by the organiser that the apres was actually scheduled to be taken back at the chalet as there was a professional cocktail maker that was coming to 'entertain' them... so the plan was that lunch was going to be scheduled as an elongated and drink fuelled extravagance! Cutting a long story short the food in there was excellent, they kept the champagne coming to keep everyone topped up, everyone drunk loads, ate like kings and lunch went on for about 2 hours... as instructors we opt not to drink in uniform (its not a written rule) but generally we choose not to personally apart from a little glass of champagne for the toasts of course!

Anyway the food was outstanding and the bill (which I glimpsed) was HUGE. There were a few drunkards we got out of there and into the cars to take them back to the chalet for their apres activities! So who knows who comes tomorrow?

All in all the timings worked out well as I fitted in my periscope on the hill...

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1PlJQXdALRWGE

...then jumped on the bus home.... just as I got on the bus my phone rang and it was Clare telling me that she had just had a phone call from the school to say that Olivia was ill and needed to be picked up and taken home... so I detoured to collect her. She indeed was ill and had a temperature!

So the last few hours were spent trying to get some food into her; cheer her up and settle her and get Ben sorted too. She has been sick twice this evening and she is sleeping in my bed tonight so I am on the sofa... lets hope she has a good night and is better in the morning but I am not holding out much hope!

The classicval event started today too so that is another Classical music series of concerts we have a couple of times a season here.

The weather forecast is for more of the same really for the next few days but just as we were all starting to think that Spring had really arrived the other day it is now feeling a little more like Winter again! Arghhhh! SOOOO much snow this Winter!

The only other thing to note is that my colleagues and I were talking about the events we have been noting of recent. As some people might know, snowsports instruction in France is a regulated profession in much the same way as being a school teacher in the UK is regulated. Not anyone can walk onto the slopes and start teaching without being suitably qualified and registered! As an instructor we have to carry suitable proof of our qualifications in case we are 'controlled' on the slopes. This takes the form of a representative from the DDJS approaching you... they are like OFSTED in a UK school environment, with police gendarmes. If you cannot prove your id and qualifications then can arrest you on the spot (theoretically anway).... HOWEVER the big thing we were talking about this morning was that a colleague in another school who was controlled the other day was breathalysed and they took a swab from him to check for drugs!!! I believe they are looking at clamping down on behaviour that could lead to a dangerous situation on the slopes... what I want to know is whether they will fairly control all persons from all walks of the mountain (shall we say) or whether they will try and target what could be seen as easy targets.... you'll have to read between the lines to understand what I am getting at there!

Anyway Ill leave you with a photo taken outside the l'Etincelle (which id highly recommend for a lovely and special if not expensive meal out on the mountain) for now.

TTFN

P.S. I never understand how some people really do not have a sense of space around themselves... this group were strewn ALL the way across the Verte piste this morning as we snowboarded down...

What made matters worse is that this was 2/3 the way down the steep part of the slope... talk about creating a hazard and POOR group management for the instructors concerned!
ski holidays
Sorry I meant to post this link too - the latest instalment of the SkiBro video series I am involved in the filming of - round 3 of me helping a complete beginner learning to ski (Sean).

https://www.facebook.com/SkiBroOfficial/videos/vl.436459966769150/411076465971605/?type=1
snow conditions
Interesting to see the comment about ski-instructors being "drug" tested. In January, we had the misfortune to ride in a Solaise Gondola with an instructor in full Ski Instructor gear (not ESF or TDC), who proceeded to light up his joint and smoke it the whole way up. He was trying to blow the smoke out the window but it and he, smelled awful!! I will never ever sign up for lessons with that ski-school and would never recommend it to anyone else (Evo2).
latest report
Vasta wrote:
Interesting to see the comment about ski-instructors being "drug" tested. In January, we had the misfortune to ride in a Solaise Gondola with an instructor in full Ski Instructor gear (not ESF or TDC), who proceeded to light up his joint and smoke it the whole way up. He was trying to blow the smoke out the window but it and he, smelled awful!! I will never ever sign up for lessons with that ski-school and would never recommend it to anyone else (Evo2).

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
latest report
Sorry Vasta - I'm still Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked by this!
ski holidays
@Vasta,
Quote:

Solaise Gondola with an instructor in full Ski Instructor gear (not ESF or TDC), who proceeded to light up his joint and smoke it the whole way up. He was trying to blow the smoke out the window but it and he, smelled awful!!

Did anyone ask him to stop? Puzzled
ski holidays
burnsieboy - good question. It was just myself and my husband in the bubble. I suppose one of us should have asked him to stop but to be honest he was a little scary looking and I wasn't brave enough. I don't think my husband was quite as bothered by it as I was.
At least he didn't appear to be in charge of a ski school class at the time.
snow conditions
Vasta wrote:
At least he didn't appear to be in charge of a ski school class at the time.

He probably forgot about them..... wink
ski holidays
Steve Angus wrote:

P.S. I never understand how some people really do not have a sense of space around themselves... this group were strewn ALL the way across the Verte piste this morning as we snowboarded down...

What made matters worse is that this was 2/3 the way down the steep part of the slope... talk about creating a hazard and POOR group management for the instructors concerned!

One grade up from the instructor snake with 20 kids in it, going from one extreme of the piste side to the other.
latest report
In La Daille, they have dropped off a mock up of our new cable cars...

ski holidays
@Steve Angus,
I was in Snowberry this morning collecting a ski that had to be repaired and noticed a lot of kit from possibly your group that was uncollected so presume a few sore heads again this morning
snow conditions
bar shaker - aghhh 'gondola' - not 'cable car' - sorry bugs me the incorrect labelling of.... anyway that cabin has been sitting there virtually all season - you never seen it before? But it looks nice eh!
bar shaker - yea by all means have a 'snake' but use never more than half the piste at most!!!!
nemesys - ha ha.... but seriously (vasta) too - I notice that there is one particular outfit (again I'm not trying to 'bash' here but it usually is (un)said outfit) that often puts all their kids on the chairs ahead of them and then 2/3 of them will sit together ignoring 'their' kids and instead on the chair have a fag with their mate... when they get to the top they start the skiing with 'snake' behind them and so the cycle continues.

Yet more snow

Once again there was another 10cm (more at altitude) of snow to have fallen... For the first half hour of the day it was clear but the weather was set to come in and come in again it did so only late this evening has it cleared up - I think all in all we have had another metre of snow in the last week / 10 days but it has been such a season that 'small' amounts like this we forget about!

Olivia slept out and felt a little better we but we decided to keep her off school. I had a reasonable nights sleep on the sofa but I am looking forward to getting into my bed tonight!

So I was back on the corporate booking again today... a couple of slight changes to the groupings and we were off... cutting a long story short I was on the snowboard; it turned out that one member of the group lift pass stopped working so he ended up boarding around on his own. Part of the organising team for the event came along on her skis and announced that she needed to be back at noon... so my colleague took everyone for a trip to Tignes whilst I was on the board taking the ski girl around on a tour of Val... by lunchtime I was groupless so had about an hour to kill before lunch was booked at the Gourmandine for everyone.... it was quite a bizarre situation to be booked and working, but not at the same time.... I shouldn't moan really. However I did fit in my periscope and took a photo or two.

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1kvJpWlXlgdGE

The ESF pen at the bottom of the mountain!!!

So the weather had moved in again properly by now so lunch was another elongated long affair at the Gourmandine and we had a lovely group meal... then the fun and games start... its always the main event for the group... a trip to the Folie and the take over of the VIP area there. As instructors we are effectively chaperoning them there and back and facilitating it all. I ended up being part of the advance party and was first to arrive with a few people and had been tasked with getting some drinks going... so I duly obliged!

Everyone had a great couple of hours and then we made sure that everyone got the last lifts back down - we are very careful to strongly advice everyone to go in shoes and everyone obliged today and it made things easier.... you miss the last lift down and you are walking!!!

However the spend is something else... below is a photo of the price list in the VIP area... the group alone got through somewhere in the region of €10000 worth of champagne in just a couple of hours - yea I know what you are all thinking.

Despite the weather the Folie was still going pretty crazy as usual

Just check out those prices... watching them cart around one of those large bottles and knowing how much they cost and drinking it dry was a sobering watch really!

Anyway there is a now a gap in the booking whilst the other half of the group come out and this lot go home but I am moving onto other bookings now so that is me for this year on that front... back to the 'day' job tomorrow.

Talking of tomorrow the sun looks like it is going to shine tomorrow before we have yet another day of snow coming in on Thursday - eek

TTFN
snow conditions
muppet - you'd be right there!!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Steve Angus, I'm not sure how I'd feel being with a group that were spending that kind of money on booze. I enjoy a bit of a binge as much as the next snowhead, but that's ridiculous money.
snow conditions
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
@Steve Angus, I'm not sure how I'd feel being with a group that were spending that kind of money on booze. I enjoy a bit of a binge as much as the next snowhead, but that's ridiculous money.

Its a corporate trip therefore all expenses paid. The external organisers job is to give them all the VERY best time irrespective of cost. Yes it is a LOT of money but the price the organiser wants to throw at it to make it a success but yes 'I know!'
snow conditions
@Vasta,
Quote:

In January, we had the misfortune to ride in a Solaise Gondola with an instructor in full Ski Instructor gear (not ESF or TDC), who proceeded to light up his joint and smoke it the whole way up. He was trying to blow the smoke out the window but it and he, smelled awful!!

At first I found this hard to believe. However, you seem very genuine, so I'm convinced. Bad enough smoking on a chairlift, let alone inside a gondola with other people. Worse still that it seems it was an illegal substance
Not surprised you didn't ask him to stop. Likely to be hassle. I'd just report him in writing to the Head of the school or college. For any worse examples, be sure to find what you need for appointment).
snow conditions
burnsieboy wrote:
Bad enough smoking on a chairlift, let alone inside a gondola with other people. Worse still that it seems it was an illegal substance

If someone is smoking on the same lift as me then I’d far rather it was weed than cigarettes. Neither are particularly pleasant but I really dislike cigarette smoke.
snow conditions
@Steve Angus, Interesting that the price of an equivalent glass of champagne gets more expensive the bigger the bottle - you'd think it was the other way around. Though if you are dropping 4000 on a bottle of booze I guess you are not too worried about value for money!
snow report
@rocky79, I think they're priced for those that want to show how much money they've got. No point having a symbol of your wealth that's good value Laughing
snow report
@Steve Angus, is there a seasonaire discount on those prices? Laughing
snow report
rocky79 - I noticed that too... weird but yes VFM is not top priority for people I dont think no!
SnoodlesMcFlude - dont think people care re the price no. Sad!
bar shaker - a discount - if you just hang out under the VIP area you can get the champagne spray for free - that is the seasonnaires discount!

Glorious day

After a night spent on the sofa last night - after it appeared as if she was better and going to her own bed she was soon up screaming shortly after I posed last night so I was relegated to the sofa again and it was not the best nights sleep. Clare tells me that when she took her temperature in the middle of the night it was not far off 40C!!!!

So this morning was similar to yesterday morning although Olivia managed to sleep until after 8am!

I arrived at the meeting point nice and early but with the weather being sunny and with fresh snow around (the resort seems to be mighty busy this week for some reason - like half term busy!) I could see a large queue forming for the lifts already! My ladies were a few minutes late and by their own admission somewhat hungover... they were in their late 50's / early 60's and all three of them from Brighton and out for a girls trip... They were quite a giggle and jolly handy skiers. One of them in particular was very handy with her short turns!

They especially liked the video feedback I gave them! However the low moment of the lesson was one of them managed to take their friend out and break her pole in half... and then in another incident a random person stopped sort of in the way and was given a mouthful as she (one of the ladies I was teaching) skied by!

Anyway more of the same (piste development) tomorrow!

It was a truly lovely morning and the Arcelle piste was in great nick!

I mucked my timings up totally so didnt get back to the bottom until very late so grabbed a very quick sandwich and then was back on duty got 1300. The afternoon session I was with a nice guy who now lives in southern France but seems to have had lots of different lessons as of recent as wanted to make up for lost time and haven been self taught for a long while and realised that it doesn't work too well so was making up for lost time!

After my experiences on the Arcelle in the morning I spent the afternoon working on there again and it was a little more firm and scraped in places but I really noticed that with slightly more southerly exposure it was very Spring like!

The news from home that Olivia was having an up and down day so I dashed home straight after skiing and helped with the chaos at home.... and in all the madness I totally forgot to / ran out of time, to do my Periscope - whoops!

That pretty much sums it all up for today! The temperature was about -8 at breakfast time this morning but by mid afternoon it was up to about +8 - such was the effect of the sun today.... The fresh snow was great off piste for those who went there but things were certainly shifting around and one of my colleagues witnessed someone taken in a slide this afternoon - nothing serious but a reminder that things will get dicey in the afternoons now we are into Spring! However having said all that the temps and weather are suggesting a load more snow on its way!

The queue for the Olympic lift was already quite big at 0840 this morning!

This photo was uploaded by the pisteurs - they do daily meteorological and other measurements and as the snowpack is analysed each day you can see how the layers are starting to build up... the third column across (the number) this related to different layers in the snowpack in terms of how firm they are.... when it comes to avalanche predicting big changes in how firm / dense and thicks layer is in relation to its neighbour is vital.... so a 1 next to a 5 would be way worse than a 1 next to a 2 etc... it seems as if things are pretty well layered up out there... but that is not the only indicator of stability - be aware!

I think that is all for today.

TTFN
snow report
@Steve Angus,
thanks for another great update and pics, especially considering 'chaos at the ranch'. Hope Olivia recovers fast and whatever she's got doesn't spread.

Shocked at that Olympique queue. Suppose that's what happens on first bluebird day for a while. Looks like lots more snow to come next week. I'll pack several pairs of goggles snowHead
snow conditions
Yesterday was absolutely beautiful, shame about my sunburnt nose though!

While some of the slopes have felt very busy, I've not had to queue particularly long for any lift (apart from the la daille gondola, which didn't actually seem to have that many people in the queue)

Also always wondered how much the Folie VIP prices were, not that I'd ever pay them. It's not quite as bad as Vegas, one club I went to there was selling a large bottle of champagne for $250,000!
ski holidays
Hiya Steve, two of us are arriving (hopefully) saturday and want to watch the rugby, any idea where we could maybe get a seat and watch the game with a nice beer?
snow report
rocky79 wrote:
@Steve Angus, Interesting that the price of an equivalent glass of champagne gets more expensive the bigger the bottle - you'd think it was the other way around. Though if you are dropping 4000 on a bottle of booze I guess you are not too worried about value for money!

The increased cost of producing (and handling) larger champagne bottles in very small batches massively outweighs any other production savings.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy