Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The view from............ Val d'Isere and the Espace Killy

Poster: A snowHead
More doom and gloom from the doom monger. It is supposed to get colder over night and it will be snowing on the upper part of the resort at the very least. Now doesn't that sound better??
EDIT: freezing level dropping to around 1250M tomorrow.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Happy opening day everyone!! Nice to have some snow to start things off. Better then the green slopes and wrm temps we've seen in the past.

Here's to another great season, my March trip seems ages away but I can't wait to be back.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Anyone been on the datcha today? Is it better?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A new season, a new arrival

Welcome to the 2017/2018 Winter season here in Val d'Isere.... yes apologies everyone it has been a pretty crazy few weeks since Ben was born and life is slowly settling back down and a rhythm is taking over again! The last few weeks I have been flat out with some building work and no matter how hard everyone tries there is never enough time to get stuff done so it is a rush! The last few weeks have been no exception to that rule! Alas as soon as that is over and done with I have had to get my professional certification back in order and tie up the loose ends before the season starts. So I have had a 2 day first aid course and the last 2 days and into tomorrow a 3 day professional development course on snow! However I have also sourced, prepped and delivered avalanche training courses to resort staff (including 150 VIP staff this week) and attended demostration chalet meals where the staff test their service and food out on dummy guests (which is nice to take part in!) and a whole host of more mundane things like collection lift passes and the new uniform too - phew.... finally time to get those lifts running and skis running!

Thank you for all the kind wishes and thanks for joining me once again for another Winter... little by little we hope we nudge towards the 1,000,000 page view this season - ha ha! For those that I will ski or snowboard with this season then I look forward to that and whether that is here in Val / Tignes (TDC lesson wise or Snowheads lesson wise) or elsewhere then it should be a blast!

Anyway back to todays first update of the season... ill start with some pictures:

The new bus station will go on the site of the old one but they HAD to start knocking down the old station before the Winter started in order to satisfy some planning permission requirement!

On that note there has been a lot of building work around town / on the mountain.... the new indoor car park on the road between La Daille and town is nearing completion; hotels like the Ormelune has had a total revamp; the Datcha lift on the mountain and the new grading of the terrain around there is an exciting development (looking forward to see it in person!)

The weather was interesting up there today - steady and light wind and snowfall but for the opening weekend of the season it is certainly encouraging!

I took this photo and was not going to use it as my colleague on the CPD course was looking at the ground but anyway you can see behind his head the new extension they have built onto the Folie Douce (and there will be more developments next Summer when the new gondola goes up which means the top lift station of the existing gondola will be removed allowing the folie to expand into the void!)

I went for ski at the end of the day with my daughter Olivia - we were just on the Village lift but she is doing well... despite the tricky snow for little legs!

So there we are folks that pretty much sums the day up. A nice takeaway pizza to finish the day off and now the kids are in bed I shall follow very shortly!

I also got back involved with my daily periscope broadcasts once again and although not a polished product yet (were they ever) it is a start for the season and a glimpse into what the season start has looked like!

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1vAxRMLErEvJl

Tune back in tomorrow.

TTFN
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for your updates, we really enjoy them.
Enjoy your family time with Olivia and Ben, its amazing how quickly they grow up.
Looking forward to our 1st trip of the season mid December
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Good to see you back, @Steve Angus. Perhaps I’ll bump into you (not literally, I hope) while I’m in Tignes with snowHeads. snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Now we feel that the winter season has truly started!! Good to see you back on SH's and back on the snow. We'll be there Jan 2nd for three + weeks! Can't wait and will look forward to all your updates. Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks everyone!!!! Iski - I'm teaching on the PSB so might see you then!!!!!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi Steve great to see you back as I look forward to a family trip to VC for New Year! Keep up the great work.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Great post as always and you're looking remarkably alert and well for a man probably on about 4 hours sleep per night! snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thats more like it...

After the weather of yesterday we woke to beautiful blue skies but much colder temperatures. I was once again out early to take part in the third and final day of my CPD professional development course and today was all about the off piste. It was cold therefore I struggled to work out the layers today knowing that there could be sweaty skiing going on (and we had our skins in our packs too!)

Anyway the day involved a lot of chatting about theory and safety and kit and pretty much everything in relation to off piste skiing... oh and we managed to fit in a few pow turns too as there is some stuff around but you have to tread carefully between the rocks / grass and lower levels rain crust but here and there there are some lovely turns to be had as the photo below shows!

Lunch was taken at the Marmottes once again and they seem to have made some changes to the layout of the restaurant. I also noticed that the Toviere restaurant at the top of the Toviere lift between Tignes and Val seems to have undergone some upgrades!

We finished the day with several rounds of real life avalanche burial simulations and transceivers searches.

This evening we had a nice family evening with a roast dinner and have spent the last few hours catching up on some paperwork - eek.

However the lack of sleep (its not that bad thanks intermediate) means I got forgetful today (and it is only the 2nd day of the season) and forgot to do my Periscope - whoops!

Anyway the opening weekend has been very successful for the resort with record numbers of visitors - some 1200 special opening weekend packages were sold so the resort has been rather busy this weekend!

So tomorrow I have a whole heap of jobs to get done and I also have a 3 hours promo session for YSE staff too!

TTFN

Early season snow coverage on the Tommeuse lift

Some great powder to be had.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Timg60 wrote:
Anyone been on the datcha today? Is it better?

We rode it yesterday. It’s great and so much better than using the rope pull.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
^^ good news, that rope tow was a pain.

Steve Angus wrote:

Lunch was taken at the Marmottes once again and they seem to have made some changes to the layout of the restaurant.

Went in there for lunch one day last March and the queue was so long we gave up! Never seen the place so rammed.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Where is everyone.... get out there

It was a weird start to the day as once again we found Olivia waking us up and getting into bed (well Clare kicked her out the first time at 5am!) with us... anyway I finally came around and the first hour of the day is even more crazy during the Winter getting all the Winter gear on for both Olivia and myself and seeing her off on the school bus (as a side note and before I forget to say when I collected her off the school bus she was carried off the bus fast asleep!!!!!)

Anyway as soon as Olivia was off I headed into town to drop off a couple of beds that I had sold that needed delivering and then onto my ski lesson. I was taking the YSE beginners (well they were not quite beginners really) and the conditions could not be better - wonderful snow and no - one around.

Where the heck is everyone... OK I know it is the first week of the season and all that but really I cannot believe how quiet it is - the slopes were deserted. Perhaps it had something to do with the cold temperatures (about -17 at breakfast time down here in town!!!!)

So we had a nice lesson and it is nice seeing these newbies getting into the sport and (with the new learner area up Solaise) enjoying the mountains! It was a good lesson and I hope they will all come back for the seasonnaires program that will start in January!

I managed to over run somewhat but hey with no other lessons today that is not an issue.

For a few hours this afternoon I managed to get some jobs done at home before all hell breaks lose when Olivia gets home...

I fitted in my periscope (a little more organised today):

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1mrGmZADPmwJy

... then this evening I had to do some errands and go into town so once again it has been a long day!

Just to prove how quiet it is up there check out my periscope and also the photo of the day:

Anyway not much else to report from today - dont think I am on skis at all tomorrow but of course plenty on the 2-do list so better finish up there for the night now!

TTFN
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just to back what Steve said, I’ve never seen the resort so quiet. We skied/boarded up to every lift gate.

Add in wall to wall sunshine, great untracked powder off the sides and you couldn’t ask for more.
snow conditions

Well that was interesting

Ill start of talking about what happened to me personally this evening (just after I had done my periscope)... it was an assault on the senses! So my little girl started pre-school in September of this year and all this term they have been learning all about India (amongst other things).... as we move ever closer to Christmas it is traditional (the western world over I do believe) to put on a Christmas show... they get it done earlier than most places as the run up to the schools breaking up really does impinge on time as it gets busier and busier work wise for us all. So that meant that today was the day for the extranstravaganza (sp?).... so along with most of the parents of all the kids in the pre-school (of which there are 3 age groups) we all stuffed into the conference centre... it was an Indian themed dance Olivias class did (I was amazed how well they had them trained bearing in mind it was 20 something 3 year olds!) in a Christmas show in the snowy French Alps.... what a bizarre combination and I certainly never thought I would be attending such a thing in my lifetime!

Right back on topic again.... it was not as cold this morning as it was yesterday morning (it was -17 yesterday am) and the sun was shining (well for the morning anyway). Having packed Olivia off to school I caught up with some paperwork at home and did umpteen odd jobs that needed doing.

No skiing for me today - early season it is always hit and miss whether I am on snow or not... anyway it was still a packed day as no sooner had I finished lunch but I headed up to our chalet we rent out to assemble the new sofa bed that I bought in Ikea the other week - this took longer than planned and I will have to go back in another time to finish it off.

After my Periscope...

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1yNxaVAqewlKj

...and the 'spectacle' as mentioned above it was off home and a friend (ski instructor) of Clare who teaches in Morzine who is in town for some professional development popped around for a cuppa! That was nice catching up for an hour or so before it was kids bed time and then I had a conference call with a financial advisor of my mothers back in the UK and that took up another hour.... so finally a later dinner and hey presto here I am - still with a few things on my to do list for this evening but I dont think my eyes will stay open much longer so I had better log off now!

The pisteurs have been busy getting the Face ready for the World Cup racing in a little over a weeks time on there - taking the injection bars up on the lift ready to inject the snow to make it as firm as possible for the racers.

Until tomorrow...

TTFN
snow conditions
Hey Steve - can you cut down a little on the "panning" speed on the periscope - not good for travel sickness Confused Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Enjoying the blog as usual - over in Val from the 6th Cool
ski holidays
nemesys wrote:
Hey Steve - can you cut down a little on the "panning" speed on the periscope - not good for travel sickness Confused Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Enjoying the blog as usual - over in Val from the 6th Cool

Thanks - was conscious of that yesterday when filming - sure will do.... trying to get back in the swing of doing them well ?!?!?! again but yes shall try my best!
snow conditions
TRANSFER REQUEST!

We are in Val D'sere from Wednesday 27th Dec until 3rd January.

We are seeking transfer operators who can pick us up from Geneva around 10am on 27th, and return us for 10am on the 3rd January.

Please feel free to recommend drivers/minibuses. We're happy to share too.

We'll have skis and boards for four persons. Taxi costs are INSANE and alpybus and co aren't running a Wed-Wed service

thanks,
Kate rolling eyes
snow conditions
Hi Steve,

I spent the last two seasons living in Tignes and explored much of Val d'Isere too. I absolutely love Tignes/Val but unfortunately i'm spending this winter at home in the UK Sad

So I just wanted to say that I am very much enjoying reading your updates from Val d'Isere and seeing your photos.

I hope everyone has a fantastic and safe season.
ski holidays
If there are two or more of you, rent a car.

All my trips are in rental cars.
ski holidays
Quote:

TRANSFER REQUEST!

Quote:

katemiller43

try snow-drone.com - thats who I used for Geneva to Tignes.
latest report
Yea Snow Drone should be able to help but yes transfer costs are pretty high so a rental car might be a cheaper option!!! Factor in the car and petrol costs as well as parking for the week and a transfer might be cheaper after all!!!

Todays updates soon and thanks hooper - I try!
ski holidays
Pow!

We woke to about 5cm of snow in town and light snow (no winds) still carrying on. It didnt look too enticing out there it must be said but heck who cares what the skies look like whilst there is fresh snow on the ground!

Anyway the morning was a short one trying to get a few jobs done before Clare and I got ourselves ready to head into town to collect Olivia and have a nice family lunch out.... Being a Wednesday it is a half day at school (well they do do 8.10am (when she gets on the school bus) until 4.45 (when she gets back off the school bus)) so we headed into town about 11.30 to collect her direct from school.

A family lunch out is not so easy now there are 2 kids but heck we had fun at Billabong / Roxy burger! Clare geared up and took Olivia up for a ski - as you can see (and hopefully the Facebook video link works as I think I made it public via our little chalet business website) in this video:

https://www.facebook.com/134722603224108/videos/1890179964345021/

There was a descent amount of snow up there eh!!!!! ... and again no-one is around.

I had the job of taking Ben home and keeping him alive for the afternoon. However Clare and Olivia deserved some time together up there and boy did they have fun!

'Construction of the temporary new main bus station is coming along slowly but steadily - only because it is council run are they allowed to work during the Winter / season operating time!

I had a good few hours at home before they got back and that was when I managed to sneak out to do my daily video broadcast:

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1RDxlnoPeAkGL

After getting a coupe of tired children into bed here I am.....

Tomorrow more poor weather is forecast and that should bring us more snow - yay... however I dont think it will be in epic amounts but a little is better than nothing at all...

TTFN
ski holidays
Same as, same as

The weather was predictably the same as yesterday but crucially we had had another 15cm or so of snow in town and more up top.... However there will be plenty more opportunities to get out there in the powder therefore it was a stay at home day and get lots more jobs done that have been on the to do list for quite some time.

After Olivia was on the bus I cracked on and with only a brief doctors appointment for Ben Clare was at home all day... although it was not that relaxing as Ben had his 2 month jabs so was a little under the weather and grumpy for most of the afternoon but hey ho!

The big news in town - two pieces of news.... was that firstly they have opened more terrain up including the descent down the Solaise (Plan M) and also Mangard piste to Fornet. The other thing is that the French National (Technical) Alpine Ski Team have been training hard on the Face for the upcoming World Cup races down there... see video.

http://www.webtvvaldisere.com/upload_vids/2017-11-30%20ITW%20Lizerou%20Noel.mp4

I did complete my daily video broadcast on Periscope too although the battery died suddenly near the end (must watch out for that happening this Winter even though I have a battery charger).

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1zqKVMWyppnxB

As I did mention on my broadcast today I am also pleased to announce that I will be providing material and ski tips to the ski instructor and guide search app www.ongosa.com which is an exciting development for this season... so download the app and check it out!

On their website you can see one of my offerings:

https://www.ongosa.com/explore/ski-holiday-advice-booking-ski-trip/

Anyway I think that is all for now - more of the same tomorrow.

TTFN
latest report
The weather is trying hard

Each day at the moment there is anticipation that the weather has come good and delivered a really good dump but it never really materialises into a serious offering... however having said that each morning there is a little top up and a welcome addition and as a famous supermarket says... 'every little helps'.

So it was an interesting start to the day as I got Olivia down to where the school bus picks up from..... and it wasnt there.... I'm not sure what happened as it left early then came back down the road for a second time as virtually alll the kids it normally picks up were still there when it came by the second time.... anyway alls well that ends well.

Clare headed off into town for a coffee with some friends so I had a couple of very quiet hours to myself to get some emailing etc done.

Lunchtime for a few hours I was with some colleagues doing early season transceiver training practice... single, double and triple burial practiced... very important to practice with your transceiver. I was quite chuffed as even the triple search I had them all out within 9 minutes! The faster the better!

I got back home and Clare had a new friend (i.e. mother to a baby about the same age as Ben) around for cuppa so it was nice to meet her... a Hungarian who (used to until maternity leave came around) is married to a Frenchman living in a ski resort and used to work in the Tourist Office. Anyway pretty much as soon as she was leaving it was time to pick Olivia up from the school bus and so the evening ritual of kids tea, bath and bed time followed.

Tomorrow should be interesting as I am taking a promo lesson for Fish & Pips staff - beginner snowboarders, in the afternoon then have some work to do at our little chalet and then we have a ski school meeting before coming home and preparing for the first day of the Snowheads PSB which I am teaching on.... eek it will be a busy one tomorrow!

In local news this end the marie officiated in a same sex marriage (not to many of those have taken place in Val) today......... there was also a fire in a chalet in town at 4.30 this morning which the pompieres had to intervene in - but it sounds like alls well that ends well and all that...

There was a meeting of the town council commercial operators and one thing that was mentioned by the STVI lift company was the confirmation of the new La Daille gondola next Summer but also finally mention that they are planning to replace the Fornet Vallon gondola in or before 2021 - finally!!!!!!

It was a lovely dawn but gradually clouded over before snow started to fall

My colleague Scott in full action - well it might not look like much but he was doing a practice transceiver search!

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1djGXMZwkyPJZ

Think that is about all for this evening... TTFN
snow conditions
It's looking beautifully snowy in town, what a great start to the season! Brilliant conditions for everyone on the PSB.

I've just looked back and realised you've been posting this blog since this time in 2011 Steve, never realised I've been following it for so long!
ski holidays
HoneyBunny - wow is it really that long? Thanks for following all that time!!!! Im looking forward to the PSB starting tomorrow myself!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Back on the hill

It was a chilly and bleak start to the day and there was a hint that the retour d'est had moved in as the wind had swung around from the south. Radio Val were reporting that up to 70km/h winds had been recorded up high on the Bellevarde but it didnt look too bad from town!

The resort also released some interesting analysis to say that 43% of visitors to the resort during the Winter months were British which with 39% being French are the two main groups that come here... however there are a fair few other nationalities and the resort are focusing their attentions on the 4% of 'other' nationalities such as Brazilian as that is a growing market!

Anyway it was a nice relaxed start to the day and we had a family breakfast altogether before relaxing at home. By lunchtime I had to head out to teach a snowboarding lesson and had 2 young girls from Fish and Pips on their first season. They were ultra keen and we had a really fun afternoon. The conditions were absolutely perfect to learn how to snowboard with quiet slopes and soft snow. We worked our way through the gears and by the end of the afternoon they were just about getting their heel side turns down!! Awesome.

Post skiing was a busy few hours... I popped to our apartment that we are renting weekly... finished some work in there.... then had to get the car out in preparation for my trip over to Tignes tomorrow for the PSB.... no sooner had I done that but it was time for a ski school meeting in town... we met downstairs in the new Snowberry 'Streetside' and chatted for an hour. Clare had taken the kids to a birthday party so all 4 of us were in the meeting and the kids behaved themselves thankfully! Getting home and sorted is always a stressful evening and tomorrow night will one again be busy as I have to go to a soiree that Fish and Pips are putting on at 6.30pm so Clare will be on her own!

Anyway that pretty much summarises the day really.

The Club des Sport kids were up the mountain training today and some of there littler kids were doing one of my favourite drills - lifting the back of the inside ski off the ground when turning!

A cold and chilly morning in the French Alps.

Today video broadcast:

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1BdxYMgRonlxX

Right must dash and finish getting ready for tomorrow - lots still to sort out!

TTFN
latest report
Hi Steve - so good to read your daily updates again. The season is definitely here! Sounds hectic for you and Claire, but all going well it seems. Hope to see you soon.
latest report
lynnecha - thanks - yes all going well.... hope all well with you.... see you soon!
ski holidays
Cold

Im gonna make this a super quick one this evening as it has been a monster long day... it all started with Olivia waking us up having fallen down her steps down from he mini loft bed... gave herself a bump and bruise and a shock more than anything but a way to start the day that also meant that Ben was awake (from her screaming) so the day started early.

I was off by car over to Tignes and I was worried the car was not gonna start as it was -17 out there first thing but alas the car started OK (phew). Having loaded the car I drove around and despite having a scare as the car seemed to lose all power for a few minutes it was a rather uneventful journey over. I parked the car up and got my gear on then met my group and the Snowheads lot on the PSB... something like 150 of them!

Anyway my team were awesome and raring to go and off we went despite some equipment problems with yours truly (never lend your skis to a friend and forget they have different sized feet when you come to put them on yourself a few months later!!!!).

It was jolly chilly but when the sun got going it felt reasonable!

We did several laps on the Tommeuse and it was rather productive but the best terrain of them all was the OK Orange and laps on Tommeuse although the steep part at the top is VERY steep and icey at the moment you have been warned!

My lunchtime spot was with a couple of guys who wanted to learn about some off piste so we got involved with that and despite a couple of interesting falls I think they learn plenty!

I was forever chasing my tail today and with the schedule being behind all day it was nice to actually get the last lesson started more or less on time. The moguls session last up was another successful session although it was COLD, really cold and it did not help that my heated socks ran out of batteries due to be early start. Anyway the group was very varied as to age and experience / attitude etc but I tried my best and I think there are plenty of things for people to be getting on with before I see them next in a couple of days time!

All day I was noticing just how busy the whole of Tignes was as there are hundreds and hundreds (probably thousands actually) of British students all over the place and many of them were beginners... check out the queue for the magic carpet in Tignes Le Lac I took from the Toviere lift at about midday!

After skiing was a rush once more... boots off, pay parking fee then drive up to Val Claret to collect a couple of Planks Hats for this season (they sponsor us) then drive back home... fitting in my periscope broadcast...

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1MYxNjLZMDoxw

No sooner had I got in and heard all about Clare and Olivia day taking Ben swimming for the first time but I had to change and head into town for a tour operators promo drink... Fish and Pips... then unload some stuff to our apartment up there all before getting the bus home (put the car to bed) and then finally had some dinner - boy it has been a busy day.. I'm shattered so really must get some sleep!

TTFN
snow report
Not quite as cold as yesterday!

Firstly I must apologise for not doing my broadcast today.... time just totally got away from me and it is really omission by me as it the mainstay I do every day of the season so real apologies there.

So today was not quite so cold as yesterday but still a chilly start! As I was able to ski over to meet my SH's lessons half way it meant I had loads of extra time on my hands to get things done like get Olivia onto the school bus on time!!!!

Anyway TDC have done the first video broadcast of the season which is way better than my rants to tune in to this (hope the link works!!!)

https://www.facebook.com/tdcski/videos/10155898071658607/

I headed up the mountain at 9am to go meet my morning private session and had a really successful session working on developing some short turn technique. I thought it was jolly successful!

It was a very photogenic morning for photography and I thought I got a couple of crackers:

On a slightly different note I have some colleagues who have skied up on the Val glacier and tell me that the actual glacier area itself is so badly stripped there is basically no snow up there and there is not even enough snow to allow the T Bar to run as there are so many dips on the track so there will need to be a hell of a lot of fresh snow up there to sort the situation out!

However whilst things are not great up there on the glacier the whole resort has well over 50% open now and much of the stuff that is closed is either very low like down to Brev or has World Cup prep happening on it (Le Face!) Anyway a great start to the season!

So with the weather getting slightly warmer (nothing serious whatsoever) and looking further ahead there might be some serious snow later in the week before a serious drop in temps.... hmmm could be interesting!

Back to today....

So after the morning private I had my team back and we worked on carving and the Grand Pre was in such great nick with no-one around so we had the place to ourselves and boy were there some good changes made - bravo everyone! My last session of the day was an off piste group session and after the initial safety chat we hit the Familial and had a nice ski around - the snow was not too bad in there. One of the problems with learning off piste is that it only takes a couple of falls and all your energy is sapped! Such was the case this afternoon that I had to reign it in a little in the later part of the session otherwise there might have been some overly tired persons!

Anyway I got off the mountain and it was straight into (literally) child care as Olivia arrived home from school.... Clare was heading out to another supplies drinks party this evening so it was a very busy few hours bathing the kids etc and getting them into bed before doing a couple of jobs at home and once again we are back here....

Tomorrow should be ever so slightly warmer once again and it will be another full day with the SH's!

Right time for a little fun.... caption competition.... the new sculpture at the top of the Olympique....

TTFN
latest report
@Steve Angus, brilliant posts Steve, thanks for wetting our appetites - on a different note my son is due in Tignes 16/12/17 with around 400 other students from Glasgow Uni - he believes that at least one other uni is also there at the same time - busy resort = fun & cash for the bars/restaurants Very Happy Toofy Grin

Some great photos as well - not at all envious Sad Blush
ski holidays
14-days till we're in Val for Christmas...
snow conditions
Slightly warmer

It was a warmer start to the day which was pleasant but still just as hectic with the young'uns!

Anyway the weather was set perfect once again and I headed up the La Daille bubble to get to the meet for the SH's!

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1mnxerVVNQWKX - a nice little Periscope today I thought!

In local news the Ice Carting track opens tomorrow so that is a fun activity off the slopes for those in town!

The local bus services around town (Train Rouge etc) are now all fully working to timetable so no excuses for not taking the bus! In fact they are also now trialling a early morning service from La Daille and from Le Fornet into town at 7am (apparently) for workers!

michaelbury17 - no worries and thanks! Well there are hundreds and hundreds (thousands actually) of students from various british universities over in Tignes this week - they keep coming week after week at this time of the year! Sure it will be fun all round (hopefully).

Anyway back to today....

Pistes wider now... as they have been blowing snow a lot bit by bit more and more of the resort is opening up! So the verte side of the track down to the Folie was not as wide as this yesterday in terms of what had been pisted... but today it is much wide as you can see! Good news

Pisteurs readying the slopes! They have been working pretty hard - here doing their morning slope prep getting the markers in place.

X marks the spot! I like the fact that the X seems to be right over the resort - perfect!

Anyway the day was another busy one... I had a fantastic morning session working on developing plenty of some things I had worked on in the last session with Phil... last year. He had been working on things which was good to see. So onwards and upwards - another session tomorrow.

The lunch slot I was back teaching round 2 of the moguls progression and some awesome work was on display by my victims... I mean pupils... great and fun stuff.... in fact the afternoon session was more of the same so I am all mogul'ed out now!

I got home to find that Olivia had had to be picked up early as she had a sore tummy but I dont think it was too serious so hopefully she will be back on form tomorrow!

And that pretty much brings you up to date!

Right off to bed! Night night

TTFN
snow report
Thanks for great updates. Hope all well after recent minor ailments.
Late entry for Monday's caption competition, the new sculpture top of Bellevarde, with more than a nod to caper movie The Italian Job. 'I only told you to blow the bloody snowboards up!' wink
ski holidays
Many thanks Steve for our Snowhead’s group lessons - challenging but enjoyable- although I was very close to calling it quits half way through our moguls session but glad I kept at it and kinda got the hang of them by the end. The benefit has been felt today as I felt a lot more confident in my skiing than I have in a long time.
snow conditions
Blimey that was tiring but fun

It was another lovely start to the day and little by little over the last few days it has been getting warmer and warmer (note not unseasonably warm or anything but pleasant). There is most definitely a large storm brewing though... there is snow set to arrive tomorrow night and then after the initial front comes in the temps will drop A LOT... and we could see -30 at the top of mountain on Friday and Saturday!... as the front passes through it will pull more weather in the form of snow at this altitude on Saturday and with some luck over the next few days we could get a very decent amount of snow!

Anyway I headed up after doing my periscope....

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1BdGYMPnVMvGX

...and had a really successful morning.... Phil kicked back bottom... it is nice to see all the things we worked on slotting together - more mileage required now to make it 'stick'.

I then had another private lesson with a young lad and the theme was freestyle... so after some backwards skiing (all the way up to parallel - nice) we did some 180's and ollies and all sorts - a fun few hours and the 'boy done good'

After lunch break at the Maison de Tignes it was turning into a warm afternoon and I briefly thought about taking a layer off but changed my mind as I new the sun would head behind the mountains quite quickly and then it would get chilly!

The afternoon was spent off piste for the final session with my group and we did a couple of laps of Campanules and it was rather nice in there... actually found some nice powder to ski - it surprised me somewhat!

On my way home at the end of the day I skied (as have been for the last few days) down from the top of Tommeuse all the way back down to La Daille... there were LOTS of students (it is the Varsity trip in Tignes this week) whom had been partying at the Folie Douce and as has happened the last few days several of them (well dozens actually) missed the last lift (tommeuse) back to Tignes.... so many of them should not have even been skiing up the mountain let alone at that time of the day... I ended up helping a few of them and gave them directions as to how to get to La Daille and the bus back to Tignes. There were some cold / tired / drunk (all sorts) I cam across and the pisteurs were a little annoyed there were so many to scoop up and get back down....

intermediate - that is a great caption thanks!!!! You are the only entrant so win!!!!

This evening Olivia has been a little knackered after school and then a play date so she went to bed no problems but Ben has not been on form...

Anyway can't think of anything else to add now so will sign off with some pics and see you tomorrow.... as it stands at the moment I am NOT on the hill tomorrow but that could change!

TTFN

Mont Blanc zoomed in with the setting sun shining on its western flanks!

LOOK some real powder found - honestly it was rather good in there - in the Campanules off piste

Brewing to be a corker of a day!!!!

TTFN
latest report
Atomic_Mick Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy