Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The view from............ Val d'Isere and the Espace Killy

Poster: A snowHead
What's a "winchat"?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
halfhand wrote:
What's a "winchat"?
I think it's a winch cat, i.e. a Pisten Bully with a cable winch on the back for grooming steep pistes
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?

Great to be back teaching day in day out

Well today marked the official change in work for me and in my mind... that day in the year when the 'Summer' work is behind me (have now totally put all my tools etc away) and day in day out the focus is on the mountains!

So yes pretty much non stop now for the next 5 months or so!

anderoo - thank you

So anyway yes I was up very early in order to get over to Tignes for day one of the Snowheads PsB. Olivia was up pretty much as soon as I got up which did not go down well but there you go. I got over to Tignes for just after 8am and finally found somewhere to put the car and get geared up before heading back to the meeting place.

I had a great morning with my team working on general technique and siding around. As last week there are not too many people around at all and the snow is in good shape still although as the days pass we get more and more inclined to demand that the conditions would be better with a fresh canvas but it is early December still and the snow is awesome it really is. We took a slide down to La Daille (the only public piste that was open today was the Raye stade black run) which was interesting and the snow is quite poor near the bottom it has to be said but the main reason for heading down there was to see the Mens GS. We caught a couple of racers which was cool to see but it was only later this evening that I found out what an amazing result it was for the French today.... 4 of the top 5 were French including the local boy coming in 5th - good work!

It was jolly quick change into my snowboarding stuff in the underground car park before the snowboarding lesson at lunchtime and it was nice to see Richard again.... a nice chap who is pretty solid on his board with good technique.... refreshing! Anyway we had a fun slide around before once again I changed back into my ski stuff as it was time for my moguls group to start. It was good to see that everyone was of a similar ability and we got some good initial developments in place before the second and final session later this week!

I got back home in double quick time after dropping my snowboard off at Snowberry and we enjoyed a family meal altogether!

Now just catching up on a few things before doing it all again tomorrow.

Finally my Periscope from today.

TTFN

https://www.periscope.tv/SteveAngusSnow/1lPKqYMQRPdKb?autoplay&t=1

Sometimes the views in the mountains are worth staring at for a while - the sun sets on Mont Blanc - stunning!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
bigtuboflard wrote:
halfhand wrote:
What's a "winchat"?
I think it's a winch cat, i.e. a Pisten Bully with a cable winch on the back for grooming steep pistes

woops - yes thanks for clarifying that!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ahh thanks for the clarification guys Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Steve Angus, where is the drag lift in the picture above? Can't place it.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nursery area le lac
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@vipul, got it, ta.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Chilly out of the sun

The lovely weather and wall to wall blue skies continue but however when you are out of the sun (especially first thing or last thing) it is chilly.

So I met my client briskly at 9.15 at the bottom of the Tommeuse lift.... it wasnt totally plane sailing through as we stopped inside the funi tunnel for about 5 mins which was a little undernerving but annoying more than anything. However I was in the same section as the US Mens Team and their coaches so the banter was quite funny to listen too.

Anyway we had a nice slide around this morning working on standing on the outside ski earlier in the turn and then some pressure management in the latter half of the turn... a fairly standard lesson that is for sure! I have done that same lesson a many thousand times before!

It was non-the-less very productive and some excellent progress was made - the next session is on Wednesday!

A quick toilet break before I was back out with my group and we worked on carving and again some excellent skiing was done... sometimes I am really surprised when such big changes are made so quickly - its heartwarming for me that is for sure!

At lunchtime it was probably even more hectic than it was yesterday - OK there was no changing over from skis to board and back again etc... however I had to make a complex call to the UK about something to do with sorting mums finances out which was rather tricky and brain punishing. Anyway I stuffed a sandwich down me and then it was time to head out onto the hill once again. This time an off piste group.

We were never heading for anything mega crazy but it was a great session and I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of snow I found... We did the Familial and then some piste development to help with the off piste and then found some great snow in the Jardins des Borsat... it was great.

I fitted in my Periscope at the end of the lesson at the top of the Toviere and it was pretty special with no one around but amazing views and ambiance.

https://www.periscope.tv/SteveAngusSnow/1lPJqYMdaWnJb?autoplay&t=58

I think that covers it all. Back to Tignes tomorrow and the fellow SH's!

Weatherwise still no snow forecast I am afraid!

TTFN
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi,

I'm wondering about ski hire in Val D. I know Snowberry are the best, but are also quite expensive. Does anyone have a view on getting their economy skis, vs. getting a top package with someone like precision ski or ski republic? I'm an intermediate skier, this will be my 6th week skiing. I want all mountain skis as I'm eager to improve on the piste and get more used to some of the deeper stuff off the sides. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.

Getting warmer folks but still good snow.

Well it was once again blue sky all around although it sure does get chilly when that sun hides behind the mountain!

I headed to the meeting place on Tommeuse and as yesterday I was sharing the Funi with the american mens ski team so it was cool to hear their banter! Anyway I met my team of 3 from here on Snowheads and we were off for a good mornings general technique development. Bearing in mind how little skiing they had all done I was rather impressed!

At one point however I was standing on the Creux piste and there were 2 huge mounds of man made snow on there. I was watching my students ski down when I caught sight a male skier come over at high speed, one of the mounds about 30 yards upslope from me... he was obviousy trying to get air and I think at the last minute altered course (perhaps as he saw me below him). At the same moment the man made snow must have caught him and instantaneously he double ejected as he 'took' off the lump.... he went head first like a human canonball through the air with his skies flying behind him.... he and his skis missed everyone and I kid you not he flew through the air for about 20 metres at head height before hitting the deck hard. Anyway it would seem as if he winded himself (at the very least) but didnt appear too badly injured. However 20 mins later when we looped back around the piste there were several pisteurs on site looking after him and a backboard arrived too. I thought they were going to have to do a heli evac but I guess they took him off by sled in the end as the chopper never appeared! Caution people, caution!

My lunchtime lesson was the moguls group and more progress was made. Finally in the afternoon I had my regular development group and once again I chose to do moguls with them. There was definately some fatigue setting in (not just the last group of the day) as the week has progressed but they gave it there all and it was a constructive 'introduction' to moguls.

I headed back to town and only when I got home did I realise that I had forgotten to do my Periscope for the day.... so really sorry I missed it out today folks.... slap on the wrist taken!

I had to go to the office to collect my new Planks merchandise for the season and then the post office to post some things off.... it was a long day as when I got back home there was carnage as Olivia had some friends around and it was manic.

Anyway all done for the day now.

conor90 - all I would say is that yes Snowberry may cost a little more but you can be sure the kit will be new this season and well looked after and serviced with an excellent fitting service... so id always recommend them. Not sure I think it worthwhile spending money on a holiday then scrimping on kit hire.... getting a top package with someone else might be good but the kit itself is unlikely to have that much effect however well looked after and new kit is likely to have 'life' in it and you can get the skis changed if you dont favour them etc... besides location means you can leave your gear there with them too rather than having to lug all the way back to your accommodation too!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Steve - Thanks for that. I'll probably go with Snowberry. Last year my friend and I paid for the same package with one of the big companies and the skis I got were much better than his so that's why I'm considering spending more, even though I'm not a expert skier!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A death on the piste.... from a heart attack!

Yes folks the sad news filtered through that a man in his 60's (nationality unknown) had a heart attach on the Madelaine of all places and unfortunately passed away.... so as that happened early in the morning it was a sad start to the day!

Anyway I was nowhere near that part of the mountain I was over in Tignes for my last session with the Snowheads. I had a frustrating start to the day personaly though as we were held for ages in the bottom station of the funival until after about 10 mins they annouced there was a technical problem so it was decamp and over to the gondola... finally making it to the meeting point a couple of mins late.

Anyway it was a hugely successful morning with my SH client in his private lesson. We worked hard on some technique and everything really came together so I gave myself a pat on the back!

Lunchtime slot was with our very own 'Admin'.... we had a good blast about but to be honest he was just happy to be on the slopes as he has been ill in bed most of this bash! However we blasted around working on carving and had a good catch up and chat... so the cobwebs were well and truly blown away after that.... it was such a glorious few hours in the sun and it almost felt Spring like to be honest but the affect on the snow has / is marginal at this time of the year!

What piste is this?

Chilly as the sun goes down!

The afternoon I was back off piste and after a couple of changes in team we were off. Some piste technique and then a route through the jardins de borsat (out south!) was a nice ambiance.... I tried to finish the session off with a trip to the bowl under pisteurs but unfortunately time was tight but we had a few lines but the snow was not great. Anyway we enjoyed ourselves non the less.

I had another trip into town to the post office and a few other errands before coming home and sorting things out. It has been a really hectic few days it really had.

Tomorrow however I have the am off and only working the afternoon... Friday I have to head down the mountain and a few other things and then suddenly it will be the weekend - the Winters are go, go, go they certainly are.

Dont think there is much else to report today although it feels like I am missing something - perhaps I will remember tomorrow!

TTFN

P.S. todays periscope...

https://www.periscope.tv/SteveAngusSnow/1kvKpqMOLjkGE?autoplay&t=2
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Grand Prix, one of my favs
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Grand Pre??

nice off piste area, not too challenging but interesting finding routes further out from piste
latest report
I just booked in Val D'isere for the 21st of January so I'll be following this closely Happy I asked to the renter whether I need to make a reservation for a parking place or whether we can park in front of the building (Haut De Rogony). The answer was better to reserve because the number of car places in front of the building is limited. Does anyone know whether it is necessary to reserve parking before, or shouldn't there be plenty of free places in the paying parking places in the low season? Thanx!
latest report
Yes folks of course it was Grand Pre and yes there is some good introduction to off piste territory out there.

Another lovely day in the mountains

I think today I will use Radio Val's photos as they sum up a main thing that is happening in town... the preparation for the Mens SL and GS on the Face...

A few people asked about the water injecting they do on World Cup courses to make them more challenging but at the same time fairer for the competitors - well this is what it looks like - inch by inch they work their way down the courses (in this case the Face) injuecting in teams in long lines - takes days and days and last a long time after the racers leave - hence the reason (or one of them) why they keep the face closed a few days after racing has finished to all it to be broken up and more manageable for mere mortal skiers and boarders etc!

It like a sprinkler out there and lots of young 'lucky' French stagieres get the job of doing this

Anyway today was a tale of two halves.... the morning I was stuck at home dealing with a few things and doing some jobs... the afternoon I was on the hill taking a promo lesson for some of the VIP tour operator staff. They got a good deal as about 30 of them turned up and they had 6 coaches between them. Anyway I ended up with 3 girls and they were fun and although their 'needs' were quite different they put the effort in to work on their skills. However I really think it was the freestyle and flat land tricks that I taught them in the last hour or so of the lesson that they really enjoyed.

I had to head into town to get some jobs and things done before getting home. As per usual on Thursday the neighbours boys were down and it was chaos as they played and improved their English whilst playing with Olivia!

Ce la vie!

My Periscope was once again from the bottom of the mountain but as of next week I should be on the mountain pretty much everyday so broadcastin from the slopes should become easier.

Tomorrow I am off snow and have to head down the hill but shall try and fit in a scope sometime.

https://www.periscope.tv/SteveAngusSnow/1eaJbRbopXVJX?autoplay&t=6

TTFN
latest report
bart_bdv wrote:
I just booked in Val D'isere for the 21st of January so I'll be following this closely Happy I asked to the renter whether I need to make a reservation for a parking place or whether we can park in front of the building (Haut De Rogony). The answer was better to reserve because the number of car places in front of the building is limited. Does anyone know whether it is necessary to reserve parking before, or shouldn't there be plenty of free places in the paying parking places in the low season? Thanx!

If you want to park outside the accommodation then I would take his advice BUT you should be able to pick up an underground parking space when you turn up yes at that time of the year.... but why not just book it now as you are going to have to park the car somewhere.... besides depening on the size of your vehicle and height there might be restrictions on which parking you can fit into!!!!
snow report

The Face is ready for the Mens GS World Cup race tomorrow

Well folks today was another busy one (when is it ever not!)

Anyway after dropping Olivia off at creche and Clare heading to work I was off down the valley to do some chores but first had to drop my ski boot off at Snowberry as I seem to have lost a bolt out the side of one of my cuffs - am hoping someone there will be able to find a part to fix them - sure they will as they have most things there... down the valley I picked up some brand new snow tyres that someone was selling... not that I need them yet a while but thought it was such a good deal that I might as well have them this Winter ready for fitting next Winter!

After a massive shop in Super U it was back up the hill and I went straight off to do a viewing of a property as Clare and I are just considering out options as we would like to have a bigger place here in Val but finding the right place at the right price is near on impossible!

I told you it was a full on day....

Anyway next I came home to actually put away everything that had been bought before picking Olivia up from creche and handing over to Clare before needing to get into town (via doing my Periscope)...

https://www.periscope.tv/SteveAngusSnow/1DXxyVmNNNkKM?autoplay&t=1

We (TDC ski school) met up with the owner of an awesome new company called Poleplant that make funky ski poles out of bambo (a variety off that are very strong)..... check them out.... if you have queries then let me know and I might even be able to give you a discount code for a pair of...

www.poleplant.com

Then as soon as I got in Clare had to head out as she had a meeting with the Ski Club of Manchester who are out in town this week for their usual and annual slide around. Most of the group are taking lessons with us so Clare, along with the other instructors headed to La Daille to meet the groups! I put Olivia to bed and got dinner ready and THAT was my day!

Phew!

Tomorrow and Sunday Clare is working all day so I will have Olivia... ski time with Daddy as well as perhaps lunch out and we will probably watch some of the racing too!

Phew im tired - ready for bed.

TTFN
ski holidays

The World Cup party is in town...

Well folks what a day it has been again... Clare was working most of the day so I was in charge of Olivia all day - im shattered! After chilling at home for a while watching cricket on tv and the first run of the ski racing we headed up the mountain for a ski.... now when I say ski you have to remember that my daughter is only 2.5 years old.... so it was 1 run down the long magic carpet... basically she slides a few metres then I slow / stop her.... repeat and repeat as she gets the feel. Queue plenty of silly games for toddlers enroute and a sit down to push snow into something that resembled a 'snowman' which was a little pile of snow.... followed by the 'excitement' of going in a tunnel - aka enclosed magic carpet and the promise of the hot chocolate at the top (its all about associating skiing / sliding around with fun and reward - aka the hot choc). So after 1 run we were in the little day lodge at the top of the Solaise gondola.... Olivia didnt hang around finishing her hot choc off and tiny pastry. We spotted a couple of other friends of hers from creche out the window outside doing the same thing with their mums and dads so we headed down and did one more on the short magic carpet after all of 100metres of skiing before I felt that she had already had enough.

Even carting all my ski stuff and boots (not going to walk her in boots the whole way to the snow from our flat!) and her in her pushchair is tricky enough so when we got to the bottom of the Solaise and briefly bumping into 'mummy' and also a couple of friends we changed into our normal shoes again and headed to watch a few racers come down although did not see the end as time was ticking on and Olivia was getting hungry / restless. But congratulations to the French for topping podiums in both the men and womens GS races in Val and Italy today!

We took the bus home and had a slap up lunch and watched some cartoons before Clare came home. Some family time and games was followed by a family meal and suddenly the day seems over! Phew!

So Clare is working again tomorrow so it will be a similar thing tomorrow although I will take Olivia swimming!

The interesting news around here is that new lifts such as the Manchet Express are opening all the day and we are almost at 100% open lift and run wise now even though lower down it is largely manmade snow. Most tour ops started bringing guests today and there were also hundreds of students arriving in town so all in all is was a busy day out there!

https://www.periscope.tv/w/1DXxyVgbEQeKM

One of the illumination towers on the side of the face managed to catch fire this afternoon after the racing which was a little interesting for a while but nothing too serious - shouldnt affect things too much in the grand scheme of things!

I think that is about all for now.

TTFN.

My little Planks model!

I have put this photo in to highlight that the STVI have put a 'third' access walkway entrance to the Olympique - right in the middle of the photo under the wording for lift as you look - perhaps a little difficult to see in this pic but it is there!
ski holidays
Another mens World Cup over for another year

Well another day passes but another carnival feel in town as thousands of people flocked in (mostly for the day) to watch the second day of the mens World Cup racing.

Anyway Clare was out teaching this morning so it was another day with Olivia and once again we filled every second.... initially watching some more skiing and cricket on the tv before catching the first run (well some of it anyway) of the slalom on Le Face... then I took her swimming and it was a little late opening the pool and then deserted but that did not stop us having a fun our or so. I made scrambled eggs for us both as a brunch when we got home and before long Clare was coming home. We watched as the second run was broadcast on Eurosport and GBR's Dave Ryding had another good result coming in 17th in the end.... that puts him in the worlds top 10 I should think or the next FIS seed list.

Later in the afternoon we headed en famille to the library and played a couple of board games they have there before Clare went to buy the ingredients for a yummy family roast and I fitted in my periscope...

https://www.periscope.tv/w/1kvJpdPmeymJE

After calling all the grandparents (between Clare and I we seemed to be on Skype / Facetime for about 2 hours) it was time for Olivia to head to bed and that is where you find my now.... im pretty shattered myself so think I will make it an early night.

On the snow front things are looking good up high on the mountain but not so good down in town but as more and more terrain and lifts are opening up coupled with the wonderful snowmaking we have here in the EK it is far from a disaster out there.

TTFN
ski holidays

Well folks it was an unexpected day off today (being a weekday and Monday at that a day off is highly unusual)... so it was a combination of catching up on some jobs and chilling.

Clare was out working so I dropped Olivia at creche and was a domestic god for an hour before doing some emails and calls... Clare got back at lunchtime and it was a very civilised afternoon.

Meanwhile on the slopes there is no fresh snow yet a while but virtually everything is open, the students and tourists are all arriving en masse and there is quite a buzz around town. The snow sculptors arrived to start the shaping of the various sculptures that they make around town in the run up to Christmas so if you are around town keep your eyes open.

Tomorrow I get back into the normal swing of lessons as finally I start on regular TDC clients with a clinic and I think it will now pick up a little! We shall see as it has been a fairly slow start to the season and there is no real snow in the pipeline.

Anyway the other thing from today was of course my periscope... I just apologise that these updates and periscopes are so far quite dull but they should get more interesting as the season gets really in the zone.

TTFN

https://www.periscope.tv/SteveAngusSnow/1PlKQEWeAoVKE?autoplay&t=5
ski holidays
Back on it

Well as I reported yesterday it has been a bit of a stop, start, start to the season in terms of work (not to mention the snow as well).... anyway today I was back teaching... I started my 'traditional' teaching in Val with a group 'Discovery' group and what a start it was.... missing skis from the night before... a prang on the main road and a student from Slovakia who lives in Norway and speaks some English but has never used ski poles before greeted me... all in all it was an interesting start but when we got going we had a jolly good session and everyone seemed to get something out of the session.

By lunchtime I was finished and decided to actually do a Periscope broadcast on the mountain for only about the second time this season...

https://www.periscope.tv/SteveAngusSnow/1vAxRdZwkprGl?autoplay&t=73

We skied the Arcelle today which is in GREAT condition and as there have not been too many people to ski it yet a while (it only opened a couple of days ago) it was not to icey or anything.... the Plan M down the front of Solaise on the other hand is rather mixed and the piles of articifical snow they are making night after night makes it more difficult!

The afternoon was spent at home doing some jobs and then the neighbours boys came around for their bi-weekly English play date to improve their English!

I have just been to the Blue Note bar as we (TDC ski school) had the first 'sign-up' night for our seasonnaire program of the Winter and when I left half an hour ago there were about 30 people that had signed up already which is encouraging - I should think that by the end of the process in a few weeks time we will have the usual 100 or so signed up which is really encouraging.

Anyway folks that is about all for now...

The British Army masses meet up for their daily ski sessions in front of the impressive new base station for the Solaise lift

The new restaurant "Lettincelle' at the bottom of the solaise mountain which does not look like it will open for this Winter unfortunately but will be in a great location when it finally does!

At altitude the snow is still great and the new lift whisks you up there in just 6 minutes!!!!

TTFN
ski holidays
Had a good week last week with VIP & TDC for a few days. I was amazed at the snow quality given the lack of snowfall since the big dump/rain. Rich was great with TDC and we even managed to head off the back of Borsat a couple of times and in to the Chardonnay bowl a couple of times too. Managed to say a quick hi to Clare at the meeting spot by the Olympique lift.

Back again Friday with the family Very Happy

Cheers,
Dave.
snow report
nemesys - that is great that you enjoyed your skiing and as I have been telling people the snow is excellent at altitude it really is - mid Winter snow conditions. OK the off piste needs a good walk now to find anything nice but with the weather the conditions have been awesome. Now we move into the school holidays and the slopes get busier by the day we will increasingly want and need fresh snow. I shall pass on your comments to Rich! Cheers and catch you next time. Steve!
snow report

Well the sun continues to shine

It was another sunny day in the French Alps and whilst the pistes are in great condition we are really in need of some fresh snow before the pistes get overloaded with holidaymakers!!!! Anyway nothing forecast yet a while but at least with the low nighttime temperatures they have been able to make plenty of artificial snow at night and continue to do so!

I met up with my team (minus one who was ill) from yesterday and we decided to head towards the Bellevarde for a change of scenary. It was the first training day for the Womens Downhill so it was nice to see them sliding down at speed - boy those girls are well built!

We spent the majority of the lesson looping around on the Fontaine Froide lift... now those of you who have had a lesson with me will know that I like to spend time on there as that run offers a little bit of everything and with a quick turnaround you can make good progress quickly. Anyway I think the team enjoyed it and along with the video I took which they were able to watch there were some good changes made!

The way lessons are working out this week, what with the transfer days being all over the place in the run up to the New Year (because Christmas Day falls on a Sunday!) AND the fact that so many of us are doing our World Cup duties (including myself on Saturday) this week my group is actually changing to having Clare as the coach tomorrow and I am taking over another group... so it is all change tomorrow!

By lunchtime I was back home and got more on top of paperwork - there seems to be huge amounts (constantly) to get through! I popped to the post office and fitted in my Periscope amongst a busy afternoon too. Olivia seemed to have a very enjoyable day at creche when she was picked up and the early evening was spent listening to French Xmas music and then English language Xmas music and she really enjoyed dancing around and 'singing' to the music - it actually felt semi-festive.

So yes I think that about covers today....

An Italian van driver forgot to put his handbrake on down at La Daille carpark this morning and ended up in the Isere - woops (photo courtesy of Kim from @simplyvaldisere)

https://www.periscope.tv/SteveAngusSnow/1OdKrelwaOexX?autoplay&t=13

TTFN
latest report
That van started as soon as it was pulled out!
latest report
Travelling further afield

It has been a weird start to the season one way or another and I have not really branched out of hitting the Bellevarde slopes and over into Tignes and a few forays up the Solaise but this afternoon I headed right up to the top of the Val glacier which was a nice change of scenery.

Anyway the morning (what with half of the TDC team on World Cup duty today and the strange mix of transfer days by the tour ops) I took my colleague Terry's Development+ Clinic and the topic for today was moguls. It was actually a really fun lesson and everyone in group was pretty chilled out so made teaching pretty easy... I did my usual laps of Tommeuse to work on moguls and there were some really really great improvements. It is always nice when you have someone who is sceptical and not really in the mood for even considering bumps.... for them then to have a big smile all over their face at the end of the lesson is magical!

We watched a couple of the downhill training runs by the ladies and they were flying!

At lunchtime as the sun was beaming down (in continues day after day relentlessly at the moment and there is no sign of snow yet a while) I fitted in my periscope:

https://www.periscope.tv/SteveAngusSnow/1YpJkqRwOnZKj?autoplay&t=2

The afternoon could not have been more different from the morning... I was with a 10 and 8 year old brother and sister... I wont mention names or anything but it was a close shave with stardom as the mother has just come back from Rio with a (GB) silver medal around her neck... so it was cool to meet her.

Anyway the two kids are real little rippers and we initially worked on some carving on the Solaise before moving onto some freestyle - talking about various types of 'grabs' and then finding some rollers to do them on. We headed over to the Fornet on the 'scare chair' and apart from a moment of madness when the 10 year old fell of the 'Col' poma we had a nice slide around up there. They especially loved 360 spins on their skis.

Magic

Philip1972 - ???? really - how do you know - did you see?

Anyway folks that is all for today.

TTFN
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Steve, as I got off the Funival at the end of the day they had just pulled it out....and started it up and drove it round the car park!
snow conditions
Philip1972 wrote:
Steve, as I got off the Funival at the end of the day they had just pulled it out....and started it up and drove it round the car park!

Aha that makes sense!!!!
ski holidays

Well folks what a crazy one it was yesterday and I am only just now getting a second to write my post. Apologies

So Clare was off World Cup dutying early (as I am doing today) so I was i.c. getting Olivia ready for creche and getting here there then getting myself to the meeting point.

I had the same team as Thursday morning and we headed up Solaise to work on some carving and had a lovely morning. Cruising the blues up there. We even fitted in a slide down Arcelle although it was not in such good condition as it was a couple of days ago. One of my team took a tumble and slid a rather long way but she got up and walked away although my heart was in my mouth for a few minutes! Anyway it is amazing what you find out chatting to clients... turns out one of them was at university at the same time (different uni) as me and her uni and ours used to share the same 'ski night' at Wycombe Summit dry ski slope.... furthermore she is godmother to a child whose parent is a friend of mine AND also the university she was at (Oxford Brookes) is where a colleage (Ben Langridge) was at at the same time! Small world.

Anyway near the end of the lesson one of the group announced that they had brought a bottle of champagne to savour the end of a fun weeks skiing so it was rather civilised popping open a bottle in the sun atop Solaise!

I did my broadcast on the Solaise...

https://www.periscope.tv/SteveAngusSnow/1ynJONvdDBAGR?autoplay&t=1

....then grabbed a snack lunch from the Cabine in town (yummy ham and bree flat top breads they are doing there now!)

The afternoon I was back with the same group as I have had in most of the other mornings this week... however we decided for a change of scenery and went over to Tignes for a tour... it was a very relaxing afternoon.

The end of the ski day was a real rush.... back home, boots off, collect Olivia, shower and change and within about an hour the nanny arrived to give Olivia dinner and get her to bed as Clare and I were off out for 6pm to the TDC Season Launch night which is about a good chat about lots of policies and other points for discussions which went on for a couple of hours before the real party started..... needless to say there will be some sore heads in instructor rooms this morning... but alas Clare and I are up along with our little friend!!!! I am off to work on the World Cup and Clare is taking Olivia skiing amongst other things!

Must rush.

TTFN

ski holidays
World Cup duty day

Well folks it was that time of the season once again when I/we (along with plenty of my colleagues and scores from other ski schools too) were doing our community service (for those who dont know as instructors part of our 'package deal' with the resort to teach here is that we have to do a number of days 'service' for the mayor and one of those things is working on the World Cup ski races). Anyway we were up the Olympic nice and early (although if there had been fresh snow it would have been MUCH earlier) by 8.30.

Ready to head off after this racer from the start area - note the tv camera focusing in on the racer.

So the work basically involves 'slipping' the course to keep it smooth and rut free and as uniform as possible for each and every racer. Working in pairs or small groups after each and every racer has skied you leave the start area (you never see this on tv as the camera focus on the racer of course) and either do a high speed snowplough or side slip down the course - sometimes on the inside line, sometimes outside line and sometime well away from the race line altogether so there is no soft 'dangerous' snow anywhere near the race line. After a few hundred yards you pull in to a stopzone and wait for the next racer to come by before slipping another few hundred yards and then once again slot in... and so on until you get to the bottom. So it is pretty fun being in a live race and in the thick of the action but a responsibility.

At the first stop and the tv cameras above our heads focusing in on the racer...

Looking up the slope and just waiting for the racer to come by before heading off further downslope

Anyway it was a fun morning..... we are then provided with a rather tasty lunch for our troubles....

Yes that IS red wine they put on our trays but a colleague in another school actually drank it - not really into drinking on duty!

... and as usual there is hours and hours devoted to lunch 'time' so I went for a spin on the skis and had a look inside the new Marmottes restaurant... well what can I say apart from the fact that it has totally changed... the area for picking up your food has doubled in size and gaining access to the loos is from within the restaurant and the layout in side is in the process of being re-done... actually at the moment there does not seem to be a way of getting upstairs so I am not sure it is bigger yet a while. The area for collecting your coffees and hot chocs has not changed that much though. The flow around the building has certainly changed and you will be 'directed' sideways to the decking from now on rather from the side you used to come into and out of.... so it will be interesting to see how it works this season (or not!!!)

Anyway after lunch it was time to get back to work and back to the top of the race course... as today was the last time they would have a 'high start' and tomorrow is Super G which has a lower start it meant it was all hands on deck to take down the rows and rows of netting that protect the sides of the course (stopping people straying onto the piste and racers crashing out likewise). So it was a good couple of hours of hard work and then after a final slip ensemble for tomorrow course it was time to head home.

Olivia was on form when I got home so I had a nice couple of hours playtime before a family meal and have just put her to bed. I think some Strictly and then an early night.

I am teaching all day tomorrow so will sign off for now.

TTFN

https://www.periscope.tv/SteveAngusSnow/1LyGBwVPmQMJN?autoplay&t=0
snow report
Thanks for the updates Steve, you learn something new everyday. Didn't realise you have community service as part of the deal to work there Smile
latest report
@Russeh, More a return for the free lift pass that instructors get.....
latest report
Hey Steve. An idea for a periscope, as i always seem to end up on the wrong run, would be how to access the different runs into la Daille off to the top of the Bellevarde. I always seem to end up on verte on diebold when aiming for one of the reds. Also i can never seem to find the Raye piste either.
ski holidays
Steve being 'in situ' there at Val d'Isère what is the weather prognosis locall. rather than relying on the '2016/17 weather outlook mega thread' what is expected for the coming week and beyond....www.SnowForecast.com is suggesting there could be up to 30cms coming.....does this concur with what you are hearing locally. Heading to La Daille in 4 weeks time.....will there still be green fields/grey concrete visible at village level as opposed to white gold ?
ski holidays
@Sneachta2013, Steve is a very busy man, but if you pop next door to the Tignes thread I do an extensive snow report and forecast every day (based on 30 years flying and interpreting forecasts). Its a time consuming job sorting through all the weather sites but I am retired and don't have a 2 year old to distract me!
latest report
chocksaway wrote:
@Russeh, More a return for the free lift pass that instructors get.....

hiya chocksaway how's it going? I'm back in EK in a few weeks, we should go for a beer again if you fancy it?
latest report
jacknottm wrote:
Also i can never seem to find the Raye piste either.

We always ski down Raye from the Folie Douce, it's like a little secret piste that not many people use and the snow is usually much nicer on it than the well-used reds.

To get to it from the Folie, drop down below the building but keep as far left as you can, don't go straight ahead. You will come to a steep little corner and the piste turns right, just follow it down to La Daille always keeping left.

The piste I can never find is Triffolet, I think you get to it from the bottom of the Tommeuses chair but I'm not sure it's been open when I've been there.
snow report
@Russeh, Good Thanks, Drop me a line when you're here.
@HoneyBunny, For Triffolet ski down the line of the 'semolina 'poma as you describe above but turn left over the bridge. Triffolet is the other side of the stream (or Vallée Pardue). However, it is often mogulled and there is no snow making so spends most of the time closed (but it is the exit for most of the lower part of the Familial Off piste area).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy