Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The view from............ Val d'Isere and the Espace Killy

Poster: A snowHead
Face, OK and Grattalu!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
yup good suggestions so far!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Face, Arcelle, Sache !!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Glacier, Creux and Arcelle
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
OK and Funival circuits
Top pitch of the Face circuits with top chair
Fornet trees with Fornet cable car circuits (and now lunch at Signal ;o)
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
No vote for Santons? I wonder why?! Laughing

Red run OK and Orange are my favourite runs along with the run down to Les Brevierre, special mention to to the up and over chairlift which must be experienced at least once! snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If I had a top 5, I'd also have Arcelle and Sache btw.

Love the Leissieres lift too!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Face, Double M, Arcelle
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@HoneyBunny: Top 5 would be also better for me.... I add L and my special mixed Solaise run: Plan/Rhone Alpes/Combe Martin Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Steve Angus, Snowshepherd's user name is 'livetoski' snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Iski wrote:
@Steve Angus, Snowshepherd's user name is 'livetoski' snowHead

TA - I knew that I just misplaced my memory slot with that info in it!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The Arcelle is definitely right up there and I like the sound of the kpw "special mixed Solaise run: Plan/Rhone Alpes/Combe Martin" option!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
All three of mine are Tignes althought I like all the runs under the glacier lift in Val
1. Double M
2. Palafour
3. Sache
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi @Steve Angus, I'm coming out next weekend - doing the five day clinic with you guys. Just watched this morning's periscope. I am beyond excited now. Not sure how I'm going to get through another week of work (and a weekend of diy).

I'm staying in Fornet - do you think things will be open enough for me to ski back direct, or will I be looking at buses?

Keep the feeds coming - it's great to see what's going on. Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:

We are off

Yes folks we are off...

Some 1700 people are in town (which is not that many to be honest as the capacity of the resort is about 10 times that) for the Premier Traces weekend (or opening weekend we would call it). It was a busy couple of hours as everyone was excited to get to the bottom of Solaise / Bellevarde as the lifts opened. After that I was surprised to see (as you can see in my picture) there was quite a long queue of people trying to sort out their lift passes... why on earth they did not have more people on the booths I dont know - but there you go!

As I mentioned in my Scope (www.periscope.tv and search for (when app downloaded to your phone) @SteveAngusSnow (which is also my Twitter handle: https://twitter.com/SteveAngusSnow)) today I was in uniform but not teaching today (or tomorrow) but full on (and getting busier) this coming week. Anyway I was aiming to check that my (and Clare's) lift passes worked - if they didn't then being in uniform (even though it is last years uniform). You will be pleased to hear that the passes worked - so I'm all set!

Todays Scope can be found here ; https://t.co/9tqJO3CHPk.... I know I keep mentioning it but if you like what I am doing please keep on sharing, tuning in asking questions, tapping your screen to 'like' and if you are feeling particularly kind then Tweet about it.

The main local news (apart from the opening of the resort) was that there was a rockfall on the road outside Moutiers near Aime - a 2 ton boulder came down and across the road last night - no injuries or anything apart from a dent in the crash barrier... but the road was closed for a while whilst they did some repairs - think it is all fixed now!

Thanks to http://www.ledauphine.com/savoie/2015/11/28/eboulement-rocheux-la-rn90-coupee-a-la-circulation for this.

acute_angina - great - sure you will have fun - not sure who you will be with as there are lots of groups going out next week! Next weekend + buses + Fornet + snow = yes I should think it will be fine... I reckon!

Anyway Clare was out most of the day going to a baby shower down in Bourg which she enjoyed. Olivia and I had a fun day although she did need a three hour sleep. Not much else to report today.

Weatherise - looking nice for some turns!

ski holidays
Snowing again (lightly) this morning!

Overcast conditions again! Full update and broadcast later on.... on Daddy day care this am - Clare going for a ski and I'm taking Olivia swimming!

Check out this video Val d'Isere mades yesterday...

http://www.webtvvaldisere.com/upload_vids/premiers%20traces%2028-11-2015.mp4
ski holidays
Quote:

quite a long queue of people trying to sort out their lift passes... why on earth they did not have more people on the booths I dont know - but there you go

why people queue like this to buy lift passes I shall never know - even little resorts like Les Saisies sell/recharge them online and I'm sure Val d'Isere does too.
snow report
Time to put the skis on

I have had a lovely day.... Clare went for a ski this morning and I took Olivia for a swim. We were the first in there and it was lovely and warm and all the toys and floats etc Olivia loves to play with so she was like a kid in a sweet shop. After about 10 mins some of her other little friends and mums / dads all arrived... It was fun.

Really enjoyed watching the tennis this afternoon - what a match and GREAT last point.

We had a really nice family roast this evening too which was amazing.

I did my Periscope too with some tips which can be found here https://t.co/4qXOs7ZRVt - and around that time I got my skis sorted out.... they were mounted the other day thanks to Patrick at Killy Sport but sorted out the DIN's, forward pressure etc. I will be skiing mainly on Head iSpeeds this season and some Head Monsters too. In fact after I swapped allegiance from another well known brand starting with 'S' (whom I personally think have really lost their way in the last few years with their QC - factory was moved to Eastern Europe) a few years back I am now 100% Head.

In local news the new Fondue Factory (restaurant (anyone else think the name is a tad lame?)) had its grand opening last night on the high street right where the Pedrix Blanche used to be. 186 seater place and as you can see in the picture very open plan.

Thanks to Radio Val d'Isere for this pic.

Also I noted that the pick up point for the La Daille bound Train Rouge from the Rond Pont des Pistes had changed slightly. Now, instead of outside the Jardins des Enfants (Train Jaune etc now pick up / drop off there) it is outside the Gourmandine. The only problem this could have is that the La Daille and Fornet bound buses respectfully will leave and arrive right next to each other which could lead to some confusion and people getting on the wrong bus etc - anyway we shall see!

I have also just popped to our office to collect our new uniform - shall try and get a photo of me in it tomorrow. Unfortunately the trousers have NOT arrived yet so I shall have to wear last years but they will be the same blue as is in jacket this year.

The weather was rather moody over town today and we had a steady flurry of snow - nothing spectacular but non the less pretty nice to have a top up. It has given us another few cm's to play with. The weather outlook is for slightly warmer than average temps for this week and a high pressure ridge giving us clear skies.... so that will be nice.

So I start with a Challenges Clinic this week so better sign off now to get an early night! Ha ha.

Take care everyone.

P.S. pam w - indeed buying and recharging on line exists here in the EK! Agreed re why bother!
snow conditions
You'll be ok Steve, Nick and I are still working on wine "with" dinner. No idea where we are meeting you yet - presume near the Olympic somewhere but I am sure we will find out from the VIP guys in the morning.
Cheers,
Dave
snow report
Yup base Olympic lift... Yellow and blue jackets this year. See u then with the hangovers!
latest report
@Steve Angus,
Quote:

Fondue Factory (restaurant (anyone else think the name is a tad lame?)) had its grand opening last night on the high street right where the Pedrix Blanche used to be.

Yes, an unimaginative name but their buns look well baked, which augurs well for the future. The Perdrix Blanche was a Val D institution and a regular for me a while ago...surprised to see it and it's outside fish stall go. This new place has a slightly 'inside gondola base station' look about it with that exposed ducting. Look forward to you putting your food critic hat on if and when you try it.
snow report
Loving the updates and the periscopes!

Just as an aside re buying lift passes online. I thought I would be super organised and ordered our family lift pass for 26th December a couple of weeks ago. I just received my envelope from Val d'Isere Telepheriques in a plastic Post Office "your item has been damaged bag" with the corner ripped off and all that was in there was my daughter's free under five lift pass. All our family lift passes gone!!! I have called and they have reissued them no questions asked but I am picking them up in resort this time!!! So I will be queuing with the other peeps I am afraid.
snow report
Thankfully with lift passes these days it's easy to cancel and replace them, glad you got it sorted.
latest report
Just thought I'd come on and say thank you Steve once again on behalf of myself, atomic maria and nettybetty for giving us a great lesson this afternoon in Tignes - much appreciated and just proves once again what a great community this is
ski holidays
@Steve Angus, how much do you (or one of your colleagues) charge for 3 days of tuition for 3? My wife and her friends are thinking 5 mornings of ski school might too restrictive so are toying with just getting someone for the three of them for the first three days. They are all fairly novice (1 and 2 weeks of skiing and one with maybe a bit more) so if your company isn't ideal and there's another company that would be better any info would be appreciated.
ski holidays
@White Fox, very easy to find that information on the TDC website - http://www.tdcski.com/val_disere/private_development/
latest report
intermediate - not so sure I know anything about food - as long as it is not fishy ill eat it (or too healthy!)
Skikitten1972 - something weird happened there but at least they are re-issuing them as you say - that is good. As HoneyBunny says these days with electronic ski passes etc it is easy to track them and cancel etc.
Atomic_Mick - happy to have been of assistance!
White Fox - yes as Gaza says it is probably best if you look on our website as lots of details on there (without sounding like a cop out!). However I should think that a few days of privates would work well and certainly less restrictive than every morning of groups AND you'll get a lot more out of group sessions too!

Back on the day job!

So I met Team nemesys at 9am for my first lesson of the season. It was a nice morning and I could not believe how quiet the slopes were and neither could I believe how good the snow was. We headed up Solaise and had a nice morning cruising some blues and then moving onto red's working on some general technique bearing in mind there was some muscle memory that needed waking up!

I also took a ride on the magic carpet, "Pim and Pam" for the first time - pretty long but the earth moving they have done up there is crazy - so much turf has been moved around and the ground regraded - I think by the time we have the new gondola it will be such a great ski area for beginners etc up there and those looking to move back to ski the Plan or M back to town will find the traffic flow and lift queues work much better!

Inside the new magic carpet

It was quite a hectic start to the day getting used to having to drop Olivia off at creche etc and all that entails but it all went according to plan.. I even managed to get a snap of Clare in here new TDC uniform - I think the new uniform looks quite smart - even though the new trousers (in blue like the jacket) have only arrived this evening!

I was blown away as I had about 150 people log on to watch my periscope broadcast from the mountain at lunchtime - something like an hour and a half of actual viewing time - crazy. So if you want to see what the actual conditions were like on the mountain then here is todays update:

https://t.co/wh4EeLhnWS

I made my way over at lunchtime to meet up with the NTPSB lot over in Tignes and as promised took some of the participants out for their free session... Atomic-Mick, atomic_maria, Nettybetty and Admin... I think we had a good couple of hours focusing in on a range of issues that needed attention.

I shall see folks again (for those whom I not skiing / snowboarding with here in Val) at the EoSB! Have a great week this week folks!

The suspects Atomic-Mick, atomic_maria, Nettybetty and Admin on the lift this arvo.

No sooner had I gotten back from skiing but it was off up to Richardes as it was Gav and Lou's little girl, Mea's 2nd birthday party and what a great little party it was with party packs, pass the parcel, cake, picnic food etc. It was a really nice couple of hours. Olivia had a whale of a time until she came down off her sugar high so getting her to bed was rather tricky but we got there.

I made my way to the Hip Hideouts annual drinks party at 7.30 and nibbles and copious amounts of wine were on the offering up at the Fornet this evening and what an evening it was - so much yummy food and wine - we had a great evening.

So all in all it has been a REALLY hectic day and tomorrow it is more of the same! So for that reason I am signing off quickly this evening (even though it is after midnight here already!)
latest report
Hi Steve,
Pleased to say I'm coming back to Val in Jan with Dave, assuming his Calf is OK. Very nervous but also excited. Never want to use what seems like a Val Medical membership again. Having my eyes lasered tomorrow at Moorfields so at least I'll be able to see where I'm going. Any recommendations for goggles that are particularly good in flat light? Best wishes and hope family is well.
Chris
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks @Gaza, @Steve Angus, I've passed the link on to the group. I think that would fit in well so will try to do a bit of marketing for TDC.
latest report
A bit late to the party...
Arcelle
Face
Edelweiss
snow report
The girls in my group seem to like the look of TDC although one of the prosecco hounds did ask if a slightly later 9.30am start could be negotiated? I don't think it would be the end of the world if it would bu99er up the instructor's day and we'll want to get moving and all of us will be getting up to pack the kids off to ski school anyway but I said I'd ask.
ski holidays
Chris ski H you are always so welcome in Val and I am so looking forward to catching up with you again.... I've just been using my membership of the Medi-Val myself this morning but more on that in a moment! Goggles - we'll not so much a recommendation as to a brand (although I am declaring my sponsorship by Planks and I generally think they are good goggles too!) but all I would say is the lenses that adapt to changing light conditions are easiest as less faffing but in my experience it is the holy grail of skiing trying to find the perfect lense with x-ray built in!
FastCarver74 - yea they're good for sure - love Arcelle!
White Fox - commission cheque in the post!!!! Anyway re the request for the later start - this is something that is VERY dependant on what we have booked in for the week concerned and what the schedule of the individual looks like. Most lessons start at 9am but the office are flexible - so there is a good chance. HOWEVER a couple of caveats - 9am and you'll miss the hoards of groups from ESF heading on the lifts - about 9.35 is generally the peak queues! Other problem is that you miss the fresh groomed snow and get the slightly busier cut up (slightly) conditions! If there is fresh snow their will be a frenzy to get the first lift and if you are behind all that it can be a nightmare BUT some people just want to cruise (relatively!).

Yesterdays report

Well yes folks as you may have noticed I did not post yesterday. In a nutshell my morning and afternoon lessons (check out the Periscope here https://t.co/0eTXtaB112 where I taught some YSE girls on their FIRST DAY OFF of the season for a promotion) were great.... snow conditions were lovely and worked on carving in the morning and a whole host of things in the afternoon.

Anyway I took my ski boots off (had felt a little (what I thought was) rubbing in my boots most of the day - no problem with that as it happens to most of us routinely from time to time!) and within about an hour the ankle was swelling up and throbbing. I went to Blue Note as we were meeting (TDC) some of the managers from VIP Ski and Blue Note was as busy as I have EVERY seen it. Anyway after a couple of glasses of water (honestly) and chatting I could really feel my ankle and was struggling to put weight on it - WEIRD. Anyway when I got home I took my sock off an no word of a lie I had an inflammation the size of a golf ball on my right ankle. RICE it immediately and (I was knackered anyway) an early night was the order. I didn't feel great either!

So that was why no update last night - I was asleep by about 8pm!

I will give a full update later on but I was at Medival for 1st appointment this am (after Olivia awoke at 5am - ahhhhh!) and after half the medical professional in the place poking and prodding me they decided it was some sort of infection - but they are not sure - checked for everything from a break to Gout ! So I have been given drugs enough to kill a rhino and told to rest for at least 48 hours - I can assure you the pills are 'good' so far! As it turned out things are quite quiet today and tomorrow and Friday anyway so it was only fair that I passed some of my lessons on to colleagues and get me 100% for next week - so basically no skiing until I can actually get my foot in the boot!

Anyway that is about it folks - tonights update will be very boring but I do have a couple of pics I have sourced etc.

For those regular readers and posters by the way I keep on meaning to say that to spread the word re my v casts each day when I am broadcasting (shall do one later anyway) you can 'like' by simply tapping the screen which delivers me a 'heart' which helps show you like it.... if you particularly like it then swipe right and click 'share'.

[b]FINALLY FOLKS I REALLY WANT TO KEEP GIVING AS MUCH BACK TO THE READER OF THIS (or viewer of my v updates) so dont forget you can ask questions - I will try and answer any question as best I can as I go - obviously pref questions that are Val or ski or snowboard related - Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Courtesy of Radio Val d'Isere - water injection going on Le Face for the Mens racing in a couple of weeks time!

Courtesy of the Secours des Pisteurs Val d'Isere (Fab's pic!) - perk of the job - first tracks as the sun comes up - here putting the piste markers out!

Be careful out there (no-named) local had a lucky escape!

Thats all folks until later!

TTFN
latest report
Sorry to hear about your "ouchy" ankle Steve - hopefully it will get sorted soon.

A big thank you from Nick and I for the lessons - learnt a lot and had fun doing it too. I will definitely try to do it again when I next visit.

Obviously we missed you today but Colin was great too and we made some good progress on the moguls as well as some more carving subtle tweaks.

Have a great season and mend quickly.

Cheers,
Dave.
ski holidays
Hi Steve, sorry to read about and see your poor ankle!! It looks suspiciously like gout to me!! Should respond to anti-inflammatories and settle down. I am really enjoying your periscopes broadcasts. I rarely get to see them live as I live in the USA. Coming to Val in Jan & March though and hope to see you then.
snow report
Bad luck with the ankle, Steve. Hold the commission cheque. Mrs Fox liked the sound of it but one of the other girls doesn't seem to want to be held up by her even though she's less experienced so they might be doing ski school after all.
snow report
White Fox wrote:
Bad luck with the ankle, Steve. Hold the commission cheque. Mrs Fox liked the sound of it but one of the other girls doesn't seem to want to be held up by her even though she's less experienced so they might be doing ski school after all.

How about if I tell you that the two Tignes TDC instructors we had last year were really rather lovely....definite eye candy material, (us ladies of a certain age had great fun embarrassing the teens by swooning over our instructors Wink ) and really nice guys too.
ski holidays
@snowlamb, Gavin by any chance?
snow conditions
holidayloverxx wrote:
@snowlamb, Gavin by any chance?

Gavin & Rab - both lovely guys.
snow conditions
@snowlamb, wink
ski holidays
Quote:

How about if I tell you that the two Tignes TDC instructors we had last year were really rather lovely....definite eye candy material, (us ladies of a certain age had great fun embarrassing the teens by swooning over our instructors ) and really nice guys too.

Haha. One of he girls did ask if we could request the most handsome instructor so this could swing it.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy