Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The view from............ Val d'Isere and the Espace Killy

Poster: A snowHead
Yesterday a few of us went to Val d'Isere and played in the Off Piste all day. I will post the photos in the Espace Killy Album of my Les Arcs Winter facebook page later .

We managed to do about 9000 Vertical Meters. Not a bad effort. The seven off piste routes we did today were: Col Pers, Cugnai, Les Marmottes, La Spatule, Tour de Charvet, Le Lavancher and Le Grand Vallon.

Most routes had good snow and even some powder at times, but we also found hard frozen crud and wind blown crust.

The sun shone all day and it was well worth the effort of driving to Val d'Isere. We parked at Fornet which is still free. If you have a week or longer Paradiski Pass you get a free day in Espace Killy ski area. Today we were back in Les Arcs. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The first marmottes have been spotted!

The Spring really is sprinting now and yesterday the first marmottes were spotted out an about!

After a couple of clouds hanging in the air in the morning it soon cleared into a lovely day.

I had a very 'interesting' am with a couple. I don't think they really realised that they were not ready to be thinking about too much off piste yet. Initially they had enquired about one of our 'off piste adventure' groups but after chatting to them on the phone the office had instead penciled them in for an 'off piste introduction' group ASSUMING that today went well. In fact what would be the most benefit to them would be to do a piste group and get better at skiing on the piste before heading off as many of the basics need attention first and off piste builds on what we can already do on the piste. Anyway they had booked a private session this am and it was a nice morning but after some drills on the piste they struggled big time off the piste.... but they have plenty to work on so they left as happy campers.

The afternoon was totally different as I had a lovely 18 year old lad on his gap year and here with some of his family members and for only a few weeks worth of skiing experience he is doing very well. A good listener and picks things up quickly meaning he made significant progress. We even skied the Rhone Alps at the end of the day - well done Fergus. I have another session with him and his aunt together on Wednesday afternoon.

After skiing I picked Olivia up but it took longer than planned as she was having a routine medical check up with the doctor so it all took longer than planned. When we got home we skyped the grand parents and now I am about to get ready to go out as I am having dinner with some friends to celebrate a birthday - Clare is staying in. Must dash.

TTFN
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

yesterday the first marmottes were spotted out an about!

let's hope the little bugs get frozen to death when this premature spring comes to an end.... Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Was in resort last week and enjoyed the mixed conditions. We had everything from nice soft snow to surprisingly difficult to ski windblown stuff.

Was really wary of straying too far due to the general conditions, so wish I'd sorted a guide out before we got there.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Glad Olivia has recovered. Chris (think he is linked via Kieran) and I both enjoyed the TDC blog.

The opening week end we walked up Face dodging the cow/sheep c**p rolling eyes
Lets hope as @pam w, says the marmots are shocked back into hibernation for a few extra weeks as I fancy ski-ing rather than animal spotting for our April trip

I'm sure what ever happens it will be better than a week at home Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
In the entirely obscure 1979 Swiss-French film "Messidor", in a seduction scene the object of desire was asked to be "my little marmotte". It didn't work out well.

Somehow this made a deep impression on a rather younger dogwatch. Funny the things you remember.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Heading out to Tignes this Saturday, just a little excited Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sorry no post last night..... Had to pick mother in law up from bourg, pick up and feed Olivia and do a €300 food shop too ALL whilst being severely under the weather and sick at 10pm. Proper update and pics later. Sorry folks.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hope you feel better soon
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Oh no! Sorry to hear you're not well Steve!

Hope you feel better very soon...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sorry folks.... No post again. Still under the weather and curtailed pm lesson yest short as felt pretty rough again..... In bed from 4pm til 7 this am.... Feeling washed out but better so hopefully today will be better all round. Still hardly eaten but forced down some cereal. It's lovely weather at the moment. Hope to post this eve.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I feel very badly for poor Steve as he seems to have been unwell ever since he gave my sister and I a lesson on Tuesday afternoon. If he was feeling under the weather then he certainly did not show it. We had an excellent lesson with Steve and in just three hours, which flew by, he has revolutionized our skiing! We are now really enjoying ourselves out on the mountain with new found confidence.

From our perspective the conditions out here are amazing! The weather has been sunny all week and the snow seems to be holding up well. (Cannot speak for off-piste though). It was cooler today resulting in less heavy snow at the end of the day. We have skied the length and breadth of EK and it all seems in good condition.

It would seem the weather will be changing at the weekend but we will be heading home by then. Sad
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much

Getting back to the old self - young self????

Yes folks I am feeling about 90% again..... essentially eating nothing, drinking loads of water and then finally this evening have some boiled chicken and a baked potato - I really hope I am 100% tomorrow!

Vasta - thanks for the kind words - I started to feel a little under the weather in the last 30 mins of your lesson but it was only when I got home that I took a turn for the worse. Anyway glad you enjoyed and better still that I didn't appear under the weather!

It has been a lovely sunny and warm couple of days. I have been teaching some lovely 4 and 5 year olds in the mornings - the tough first couple of days are passed now and they are not turning (just about) from the second get off point on the Savonnettes lift but they are doing well. It has been killing me but I know the parents will be totally stuck if I cancelled as everything pans around the kids being in lessons and them being able to ski off piste with some of my colleagues!

The afternoons were with the same guy as I had on Monday (but had to cut the lesson short as really felt ropey mid afternoon).... came home and spent some 15 hours in bed. Clare and Serena (Clares mum) had Becky from our office around for dinner but I could not face anything other than a glass of water.

This morning I awoke feeling fresher so it was back with the kids and then this afternoon I took some seasonnaires for a heli trip to Chevril - I was a little less talkative than normal but I think they enjoyed it - the pilot was obviously in a good mood as he took us for a slightly longer - scenic flight.

Not much is happening locally. We are due a change in the weather over the weekend but I am as always sceptical whether it will be cloudy or in actual fact snowy. This relatively quiet week has come at a good time but it won't be long until we ramp it up towards Easter!

OK early night - TTFN
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi Steve, glad you're feeling better!

Snow forecast is predicting crazy amounts of snow for Val this weekend, but I suspect the reality will be a lot less. What's the word locally?

Might pop into the Blue Note and say a quick hi as usual, one day next week (as long as you don't mind!)
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Snow forecast is predicting crazy amounts of snow for Val this weekend

Meteo France is forecasting moderate snow for Val d'Isere the weekend but a fair bit of rain next week. It looks as if this high is not going anywhere very fast.
snow conditions
RAIN? Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
yes the current Meteo France forecast has 50% probability of rain next Thursday/Friday and zero percent probability of freeze. But they are quite often wrong (might be wrong about the snow, too though that's less likely as it's so soon). And that's in the village - no doubt it would be snowing higher up. But I think the evolution of the weather over the next week or so is very uncertain.
ski holidays
To be honest I ignore the weather forecasts I don't like anyway, and just pick the snowiest one Toofy Grin

I like maximum disappointment.
snow report

This little fella came to see me whilst I was sitting having my lunch! A PIGEON - blooming typical - even out here in the middle of the mountains they are begging!

Yes folks (above) - I dont think we are likely to have much snow coming our way and the freezing level is hit and miss so perhaps heavy pow at lower altitudes or freezing rain and perhaps snow (a little) higher up.... but grey conditions shall probably prevail. It is unlikely to be 'UK' style rain though - consistant and persistant!

So today was all sorts really.

I woke feeling great and back to about 99% - I even fancied protein so had eggs for breakfast - my body needed carbs / protein and all sorts but I need to be careful as I knew something was still a little off! Anyway the kids were on form and they made it on to the Village lift and did so well.... despite some serious distractions from proud parents taking pictures etc they had a great time and as long as the weather holds good for tomorrow we will attempt to take them up the mountain for the first time - so fingers crossed for that!

Lunch was nice in the sun - some more vegetable soup, and then off to take another group of seasonnaires for a heli trip...............

.........well that was the plan........

Everything was going perfectly until I came to confirm we were good for the 'point of no return' down from the pylon to the pick up point.... it was then the chopper company tell me their pc / email was not working at the moment so my booking was only still in as a provisional booking and was not firmed up. Every time you book with them it would seem as if there 'procedures' change around - one minute you HAVE to firm via email etc and then today you HAVE to use phone only and this is all on the background that unless you pester them they never really bother responding to messages - perhaps it is just me but I think it is a froggy friend way of doing things. Anyway it would have been fine apart from the fact that the helicopter had now taken on extra bookings for other people since my 'provisional' so they were full. I think from now on in I will email / text / phone and pester and pester and pester until I get a response from them! Anyway luckily being seasonnaires we were able to reschedule for a couple of weeks time (but then looking at my schedule I realised how few slots I have available between now and the end of the sedans - week - but good for me!).

So I headed to Blue Note along with Clare, Olivia and her mum about 3pm ready to drink away my annoyance with a glass of water.... however for some reason as well as a glass of water I ordered an OJ with fizzy water and to cut a long story short from when we got in a couple of hours back I have been feeling a little weird again so I shall probably hit the sack for one more early night!

Tomorrow is the last day with the little kids in the am and then a full day and a half off - plenty to get done and then Sunday (being Mothers Day) we shall probably have some nice lunch somewhere.... not sure exactly what the plans are yet!

There is still not much going on in town - as in there is not really any news as such / gossip / points of interest - or maybe im just not as thorough as I could be a the moment with this stupid bug!

TTFN
ski holidays
oh dear..... hope you're soon back on top form Steve.
snow report
Think I finally might have shifted this bug thing!

Yes I seem to have eaten normally today so can stop moaning about the lurgie!

Anyway it had not been so much of a hard freeze overnight with a light cloud cover for insulation. It was clear and only just below freezing early doors so it was set for a nice morning.

With a leisurely breakfast time as I was the only one in the house needing to get up and out there was fewer jobs to be done. Anyway I met the kids and after a war up run we attempted to ride the Solaise Express but one of the kids had a flat refusal to go on the lift so we needed to make alternative plans via the Solaise Cable Car and made it up.

Cutting a long story short it ended up being a very successful mornings skiing and the kids and parents all had smiles on their faces by the end of the morning!

Lunch at home and a couple of relaxed hours (well sort of as Olivias teeth are coming through and she was a little grumpy for an hour or two). I headed into town to sort out a present from Olivia to Clare for Mothers Day (just not been feeling up to doing it until today!) and then a drink at Rize before coming home to watch the rugby!

I made french onion soup for us all for dinner which went down well and now relaxing watching tv before bed!

The roads were relatively quiet with 28000 cars on the road today that is all so it will be another relatively quiet week this coming week.

The forecast snow still has not arrived although it really did grey over pretty quickly about mid morning and never really got any worse as the afternoon went on but I think we will have a little precipitation over the next 24-48 hours - watch this space!

ski holidays

Thanks to Radio Val for the photo above taken first thing this morning before the weather moved in.

Happy Mothers Day

Well what a nice day that was...

Olivia allowed us a lie in until 8am so it was up for a nice leisurely start and I woke feeling totally fine - yippee.

After some play time with Olivia and opening Mothers Day presents etc we went for a family swim and the pool was packed. The weather started grey and a little windy but as the day went on we had a few flurries of snow but I think further up it could be more meaningful as down here in town it was not even settling. By the end of the day the weather had really closed in and you could not see the top of the mountain but I could see that they were taking the chairs off the Solaise so they are obviously expecting some heavy weather (probably) overnight!

After swimming we went for a lovely family lunch with Clares mum at the Pedrix Blanche in town. Those who know me well will know that I was never the biggest fan of their for various reasons and it was only the second time in 9 years that I have eaten there but I was pretty impressed I have to be said - it was nice. So we had a nice lunch and as soon as Olivia had eaten her lunch (as we were looking at the menu) she went to sleep allowing us to enjoy our food and drink. As soon as we finished up she woke as we walked home - perfect timing.

The rest of the afternoon was spent catching up on a multitude of tasks at home that had been neglected for the last few days!

And that is about all for today folks - back to work tomorrow.
ski holidays

A nice days teaching!

We awoke to about 15cm of snow in town, grey skies / whiteout / snow falling and high winds..... was it going to be a tough day up top or not....

Well as it turned out the really heavy weather was limited towards the Fornet end of town where there was limited openings. I heard there was a good 50cm of snow up on the Pissaillas Glacier. Anyway up towards the Bellevarde side of things it was a lot nicer and to be honest it was a much nicer day than any of us had hoped for. OK heading up the Bellevade side of things I was intentionally avoiding fresh snow but with the poor weather and the level I was going to be teaching it was not likely to be a wise choice looking for powder!

So I met Alfred and after a chat it was decided that the 'fun' and 'enjoyment' factor as opposed to technically skiing the best would be the aims for the sessions. I have taught him a few times over the years and he is such a nice guy - a real pleasure to teach. OK not a Spring chicken but he can hold his own too. We have a lot to talk about as he lives VERY close to where Clare and I base ourselves when we are back in the UK in the Summer.... in fact he lives in a village that plays against the village cricket team that I play for.

Anyway we headed up and I worked purely on tactical and physcological threads with him. Looking at how we change our blend of skills on the skis to cope with the actual terrain and more importantly the snow conditions lie ahead. Trying to save energy and the legs was a priority for him as he admits he is not nearly as fit as he should be.

The afternoon was spent with young Phil from here on Snowheads and what a nice guy he is. A solid all mountain skier just looking to improve on the reds without wanting to be flash or anything. A lot of solid skills are a good starting point so it was a case of shaping his performance to reach his goals. So we had a good afternoon and I certainly noticed some good changes.... well done.

The evening was spent catching up with a few jobs - tidying emails, grabbing a takeaway (thanks to Clares mum) and a few other little things that seem to have taken forever but not really achieved too much!

Weatherise I think it will be same again tomorrow before clearing up for Wednesday..... Not much is happening locally apart from they seem to have finished the majority of the work on the dam wall that they started a few months ago so apparently the crane on the top has gone.
snow conditions

Well the weather was better than yesterday in that we could see the Solaise from town and there were glimpses of blue sky. However it was still windy up there but not enough to affect openings.

Radio Val were reporting a metre of snow had fallen in the last 48 hours up at the Fornet - ah the effect of the Lombard / Foehn winds and the localised orographic uplift effect.... so there were lots of people heading up that way to make the most of the pow.

Anyway I was once again with Alf and I wanted to move it up a notch from yesterday and at least try and challenge him on a red run. However balancing up energy levels with snow quality / texture etc was going to be the aim.... vital more like.

After some technical stuff on the Madelaine and other blues up Solaise we moved onto the Mattis - I was hoping I had the timing correct and to be honest it was pretty nice but it was tiring for him so by the time we got to the bottom he was ready for lunch which coincided nicely with the end of the lesson.

Lunch was in Saloon (for the last time this season as they are now going to be closed at lunchtimes for the rest of the season) and a brief affair as I needed to be up and ready for a 12.30 start.

The afternoon was spent with Julie and we worked on her short turns.... once every few weeks at the moment (as she and her husband own a place in Tignes) I give her / husband a lesson. We worked on continuing to bring her hips through the turn with some success although the snow we found on the stade was awesome - some of the best snow of the season. We also worked on tidying up a few areas of her technique to make the overall image much better - so well done Julie.

I got home just before 4pm and turned around to get Olivia.... she was on top form which put a smile on my face and she absolutely loved crawling around the flat exploring before having dinner, bath story then bed. Now that Clares mum has left (she left early doors this morning) it seems quiet at home but it was nice having her here as usual. See you in a few weeks time Serena!

I got asked an interesting question this morning by Alf. (Normally as an instructor you get asked the same questions over and over again). Anyway the question was: What is the toughest thing you have to do as an instructor (as in your job - not the training or anything like that)? So my answer to that is making people know what is a) good (or not skiing / snowboarding in terms of technique and b) that slope colour really has no bearing on the skills (or lack of) of the user.

So that is about that for today - we are due some nice weather coming our way tomorrow and for a few days so hopefully that will happen. Just trying to finalise (personally and as a ski school) what seems like loads of heli ski trips for the end of this week which will be exciting.

TTFN
ski holidays

Back to Spring

After those few days of grey clouds and snowfall it was back to wall to wall blue skies and sunshine. I dropped Olivia off at creche then headed up to the meeting point. It has been a while since I waited at my 'old' bus stop in the sun so it was a bit nostalgic being back there.

It was always going to be a crazy number of people trying to get to the various corners of the resort today and in particular to the Fornet after the lovely snow received up there and widely advertised! I met Alf and we headed that way via some technical work on the Madelaine and Glacier Express areas. He was on form so he skied really well! We took the up and over and then up the Pissaillas Glacier. Sure enough there was some pretty decent amounts of snow that had fallen up there and after several days of people not being able to get up there because of the high winds there was a bit of a powder frenzy going on. The queues for the Cascade Chair were rather long at times but the good old ski school lane helps on days like this!

The snow was so good that we lapped around three times on the Moraine piste before having to head back towards the Fornet and into town! I have to say that it was nice to see Alf with a smile on his face as I don't think he was particularly enthusiastic about skiing this year and it was a case of trying to build him up as I think he had a couple of poor runs last year that tested him rather more than he would have liked! Anyway he is wanting to ski more this week and come back again next year so mission accomplished!

I headed to Snowberry at lunchtime to get packs for the afternoon. The afternoon booking was with a long standing client and snowhead and his mates as they are out here for their annual boys trip. The plan is for this who can to come heliskiing tomorrow but this afternoon was all about sorting the wheat from the chaff and getting the ones competent enough accessed and ready.

After a safety chat one decided it was not for him at all (going off piste) so we were down to 5. After a brief 'warm up' off piste near the Datcha lift it was time for the 'tester' pitch that I use to make people aware of a) the commitment in heading down to the Chevril (it is a tougher route than going down to Boneeval that is for sure) and b) making sure people know how tricky the tricky section is. Anyway the Lavancher Couloir does the trick nicely. It is certainly longer and narrower than the Chevril route but gives people an idea of what is to come. After the Danaides wall we had one 'casualty' who decided it was too tricky and pulled out and headed back to the Rhone Alps piste so we were down to 4. As long as they did not freak out and were under control dow the descent then we had our four for tomorrow. They did it just fine!

So they headed off for the Folie for some apres drinking whilst I took the packs back to the office!

After a couple of errands in town I picked Olivia up and will be about to make some dinner as Clare is off out for 'movie and wine' night at Rize with some of her girlie friends so I am all on my tod!

So looks like I have two heli trips tomorrow - one in the am and one in the pm - should be exciting! Not much else happening locally in town so will sign off here.
latest report
@Steve Angus, very serious question Steve, we arrive on Saturday just in time for the rugby - where is the best place to watch England beat France ? Very Happy

ps. conditions look great, hope it continues into next week !
snow conditions
@scorchio, Pacific Bar is always good for sport , normally busy and a good atmosphere.
snow report
Looks fantastic Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@scorchio, XV on the main street
ski holidays
scorchio - yes as the others have said Pacific Bar is a good place - ALL the sport is shown there. However if you want a more 'French' flavour to the proceedings as we thrash them then XV bar on the high street opposite the main bus station is good or you could always hang with the expat locals in the Blue Note - all the places will be showing the games!

Anyway back to today...

What a way to be paid!

So in short I ran two heli trips today. In the morning it was Trainee Snowboard Jedi and his mates and we all met on time at 9am and headed straight for Tommeuse. It was a little firm initially but with three boarders and a skier we needed to maintain height to get around the corner to the nicer snow. We did find some nice snow indeed across the flats. After a quick check in with SAF choppers we hit the boot pack up and descended down through the trees The snow was very varied but enjoyable non the less. When we arrived at the Chevril there was another TDC group just about to head off so we readied ourselves quickly and enjoyed a lovely ride back to Val. The boys were hot and sweaty and ready for lunch when we got back so they peeled of and I headed back to town with the packs and a long leisurely lunch!

The afternoon was always going to be tougher as the team were keen to hike to Mickeys Ears and make the descent down there. So 45 mins or so later we were peering over the edge at the top. The entrance is always pretty intense to say the least and the photos below do not do it justice! It is about 50 degrees to get in so definitely a NFZ (no fall zone - otherwise you are in danger of falling to your death - seriously!). Anyway a very tentative side slip / step down was the better of the two evils to get in so one by one we all gingerly made our way in. When we got in the snow was initially quite scratchy before becoming more mellow and then in the guts of the couloir it was nice and chalky / powdery. Anyway my Gav who was scoping the route peeled off when we got most of the way down and the rest of us headed down for the lower route all the way (for the second time today) to the Chevril pick up point. We were totally alone this time so it was very pleasant and by the time we got back to Solaise there was a sense of relief as I was rather tired after all the walking and concentrating all day!

It was home and bath time for Olivia and now I have the remainder of the evening to relax. I have one more heli trip tomorrow (lots of seasonnaires love doing it) but at the moment have the morning off which will be nice!

It was another scorcio day and the weather forecast is not set to change yet a while so I think it will be another nice day tomorrow before changing for Saturday!

Some of the primary school kids get a lesson today from the pisteurs as to what they actually do to help injured people on the mountain - all good things for them to learn!

This photo was obviously NOT today but shows how windy it got at the top of the Solaise Cable car the other day as they were doing a test running of the lift - scary!

Some lovely views on the way down the Lac du Chevril - which is now starting to fill back up again - slowly!

The end of the hike to Mickeys Ears - it was HOT

Looking down Mickeys before the entry!

In we go!

TTFN
snow report
For a moment there I thought you had all those dear little primary schoolers ready to head down Mickey's Ears.... Shocked

In Les Saisies they run an early morning trip once a week for people to join one of the pisteurs on their "opening up the pistes" duties. I did it a couple of years ago - very interesting, and a nice chance to ski some new corduroy!
ski holidays
There was only one primary school child today Steve, sorry!

Great day, thank you, it was one to remember, although the Mrs has the hump!

J
ski holidays
Heading out to Le Lac on the 28th with a mate. He's looking to get a private snowboard lesson or two. Any recommendations of companies or independent instructors?
snow report
@Dibergio, er...Steve Angus!
snow conditions
Dibergio - but of course I have a recommendation... my colleagues over in Tignes at TDC Tignes (www.tdcski.com) should be able to help - they have several specially qualified snowboard as well as ski instructors (unfortunately (fortunately for me) I am already fully booked that week). Failing that then there is Alliance Snowboarding over there or Pro Snowboarding too. Good luck. It is school holidays so you may struggle to find something!

I am sorry I did not post yesterday but I have just remembered that I never posted - bad Steve.

Anyway the morning was a rather relaxed affair - Clare was out working - so I did some admin and filing at home whilst watching the cricket and generally having some chill out time.

The afternoon I was back working.... I had another seasonnaires heli trip (so my third trip down to the Chevril in 3 days) so it was to the meeting point to meet them all. As you can imagine they were all rather excited. However one of them remembered that they had forgotten their lift pass (being Spring conditions lots of them are putting on alternative jackets to ski in and forgetting lift passes). Anyway I was initially a little worried that the weather was going to close in and spoil the fun and to make matters worse SAF were rather quiet on the replying to messages front. Anyway we pressed on.

We had not had a freeze overnight and with the slightly overcast conditions from the morning and coupled with the humidity meant that the snow was rather sticky to say the least! Anyway we ploughed on. I did finally manage to get the go ahead from SAF before we dropped down and committed. There were lots of smily faces...

Anyway the snow was somewhat sticky and not very nice to ski to be honest with you but we carried on. Even better was that the weather did not close in anymore.

So by the time we got back to the top of the Solaise there were lots of smily faces from them as non of them had ever been in a heli before so they were chuffed!

A quick drink at Blue Note before I left Clare to have another drink with some old colleagues from YSE of hers. I took Olivie home to feed and bath her before Clare got back later on. A drink and an early night were in order!

I shall post about today later on.... however this rugby is too exciting to miss so logging off now!
snow report

What a day of rugby.... but not the result I was after!!!!

Well it has been a very relaxing day all in all..... after taking Olivia to the soft play and meeting Gav, Lou and Mea we came home for a nice family slap up lunch. Oh yea I almost forgot I was out early doors to do a mini shop at Cash 2000, drop some money off at our office and also pick up a naughty Patte D'Our from Chevallot for breakie and choc chip brioche for Clares'. Anyway when I was leaving Cash the bag split open and the pint of milk went everywhere - oops. To be fair to Cash they gave me a new pint for free (and new bag as the original reusable had split too!)

I somehow managed to persuade Clare to let me watch ALL 6 hours of the rugby this afternoon... most of the time whilst playing with Olivia.... so that was a real treat. As the afternoon wore on the weather outside go worse and worse and for a good couple of hours it was pouring with rain.... which can only mean that it was snowing up top. I felt sorry as lots of international students (mainly French and Belgium) had to wait for ages to be allocated their keys for their rooms out in the rain.... lets hope that their spirits are dampened a little so as to not cause too much of a fuss and late night antics!

On the roads there was chaos in the local and not so local area as there was some minor crashes here in town and also at the Sioux Tunnel near Mouties - so I hope those travelling today made it up / down now OK!

We had a nice dinner and are now settling down for a quiet evening. This poor weather has meant that I have another day off tomorrow but that really is it as I am then working everyday bar one for the next 3 weeks - eek - some 108 hours of teaching to go this season!!!!

Think that is all for now. Not sure what tomorrow brings, perhaps a small lie in followed by taking Olivia swimming - we shall see!
snow report
Not quite the day I thought it was going to be

Clare and I were treated to a lie in which was nice - two in a row - wow. Even more incredible was that Olivia was STILL sleeping at 9am and we had to wake her up.... she loves her sleep which is great news for us! Anyway at 9am I was busy getting myself ready to have a nice leisurely family breakfast... in fact I was about to crack the eggs for some nice fresh scrambled eggs when the phone rang.... "Hi Steve, Its Gav (from TDC Tignes) - one of my instructors is ill this morning and I am stuck.... no-one else is free / can do the lesson (in either Val or Tignes).... I don't suppose you could come over and cover it could you?"........ erm OK then - to help out. So bang went my swim with Olivia - all in the name of helping out (and of course working another morning). So I frantically swapped to a bowl of cereal, changed clothes, got my skis out and headed off for Tignes in double time.

Anyway it was a nice morning with a 19 year old girl on her first ever morning learning to ski and she did extremely well - getting up the Palafour lift by the end - well done Laura!

By lunchtime (well a late lunch as we stated at 10.30 in the end) I grabbed a sarnie over in Tignes before heading back to continue my day.

The afternoon was spent skypeing the parents, catching up on some paperwork as we'll as playing with Olivia..... before I new where we were it was bath and bed time for Olivia - where did the day go!

I have spent quite a lot of time looking at flight options and dates etc for this coming Christmas as Clare and I are hoping to take Olivia back to the UK for Christmas for a few days - mainly to spend it with the grandparents - we shall see. However I think we are going to wait until Easyjet release their flights as we would ideally like to fly back to Bournemouth (where my parents are based) as it will be easier with a little one.... I know Easyjet are about to release their flights for Xmas 2015 but does anyone have any ideas whether it will be tomorrow morning or perhaps in a couple of weeks time as we (like everyone else) wants to be the first to get in there as soon as they come out!

Weather wise it was a strange day as there was perhaps 5cm of fresh snow around the mountain tops - nothing really in town but there was a blustery wind abound and the sun trying to battle with the clouds.... however initially the clouds were winning by quite a margin but little by little the sun won over so we ended up having a lovely sunny evening in the end!

My photography skills were pretty dismal today as you will see below - I think I must have had some water on the lense or something - whoops!

Anyway tomorrow is the start of another week and I think (by the booking notes) I am splitting a group of beginner kids with Clare in the morning and then starting with some beginner adults in the afternoon - in fact looking at the planner over the next few weeks it looks like I have lots of beginners to teach - which I adore as introducing people to the sport is such a kick!

TTFN

Good old Radio Val d'Isere saving the day with this pic!
snow conditions
Laughing yes, that first photo is not up to your usual standard, Steve.
latest report
Hi Steve, just got back from an amazing week in the EK, conditions were fabulous. I am seriously useless at off piste though, and my turns generally need a lot of work (especially when it gets steeper), so next year I will be in touch with TDC!

I did pop into the Blue Note one afternoon to say hi but you weren't there, never mind Smile
snow report
@Steve Angus, What is Val D center usually like 3rd week April? Much grass showing through? Looking to grab one more trip before the season is out and Tignes/Val D are looking like the best options. We were in Tinges 3 weeks ago but spent most of our time between the two. Access to where we liked most seems easier from Val D side hence the question.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy